main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oceania The *OFFICIAL* Political Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by stinrab, May 31, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stinrab

stinrab Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 9, 1998
    Well, to avoid clutter on the boards, I've created this thread (it was actually wedge3210's idea but... bah!). Feel free to discuss whatever political issue/event/person etc. you want.

Anyway, I thought I'd start this thread with a bit of a ramble.

I'm no fan of the ALP. Most people know that. But this (the subject of the rant) makes me wonder how stupid the ALP really is?!?

Now, reading the Telegraph yesterday, I came across an interesting new ALP policy in an editorial. I had to read this thing about 4 times. I thought it was a joke. Surely the ALP is not this naive? It sounded more like one of Stott Despoja's lameduck ideas than a national policy.

The policy is this:

As opposed to mandatory detention (what?!? The ALP changed its stance? AGAIN?!?), the ALP, through its recommendations in its new nine-point plan, came up with the idea of mandatory processing. This is where illegal immigrants are placed in the community and are "subject to a form of supervision by reporting regularly to immigration officers".

Yeah, that'll work.

The editorial then goes on to state that countries where a similar policy have been implemented have had 90 percent of the illegals disappear. Really?!? Who would've thought that would happen?!?

Has someone spiked the water at ALP meetings? How could a major party come up with such an unworkable idea?!? I'd be interested to hear what some of the ALP voters in here think of this mandatory "processing" garbage?

-End of rant-

2. wedge3210

wedge3210 Jedi Master star 5

Jun 7, 1999
    It's pretty stupid, but it sounds more like an idea than an election policy. And that policy would never get up anyway.

See the coverage of the Gorton funeral yesterday?

The poor old Libs are still fighting battles from decades ago. Nice to see that they're still living in the olden days and can't bother looking past the pillar where the next insult is to be hurled.

And "Bah" to you and your latte drinking pals too. :p

3. stinrab

Jul 9, 1998
    The Libs are only fighting battles because the ALP is still living in the past. The comment at the funeral was neither the time or the place. No tact [face_plain]

And I'm an iced coffee man, no latte thanks ;)

4. wedge3210

Jun 7, 1999
    As soon as I heard that comment I just rolled my eyes and shook my head. Gorton will probably have something written on his headstone about the whole drama.

Chika got a gig on Beauty and the Beast during the week I heard. Good to see she's been put out to pasture. :)

5. jediguy

jediguy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2000
    Liberal here, and there'll be another one once Marvin comes along.

6. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    I have always been an ALP supporter, but more and more and find myself leaning towards the righting, and serious contemplating at times to vote Liberal.

7. wedge3210

Jun 7, 1999
    What the Gath said. The only thing stopping me is the lack of a real candidate in this area and there's a few high up libs that just annoy the crap out of me.

If half of the policies from the Libs got mixed with half the policies from the Labs, well I'd be a happy Aussie voter.

Stinky, what's your take on Crean Puff taking down some of the power of the unions in the party? Has to be a good move, right? The more taken down the better from my POV.

8. Shadowfire

Shadowfire Jedi Master star 4

Jul 14, 1998
    You are basing your views from reading the Tele???

Isn't that like a neorosurgeon commenting on seperating the two hemispheres after reading a first aid handbook?

:)

9. stinrab

Jul 9, 1998
    I agree with Crean's move (re: Trade Unions). Though, I have to admit, it was funny seeing Crean get booed by his own party. :) Really shows what a divided party they are

Shad- the Tele is probably more in the middle (politics wise) than most papers. The SMH (or, as I call it, the Communist Manifesto) is an absolute shocker

10. wedge3210

Jun 7, 1999
    But the point is, the Telly is rather stupid.

11. Darth_Dagsy

Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 2000
    I sit somewhat in the middle...some issues I lean to the right, others to the left.Its just that Labor nowadays give me no option than to vote for the Libs.

Thats a funny manditory processing policy. And you are right, something I would expect more from Despoja than Crean.

Despoja....worst.leader.ever.

She will ruin that party.

Despoja....worst.politician.ever.

Thought I would seperate the two. Her whole ticket is on being the voice of the youth, the future of the country. I have never seen a politician more out of touch with the youth. A politician with their head further up their backsides when it comes to the demographic they supposedly represent.

12. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    Do you think it will ever be possible for a third alternative party (either existing or new) to ever win government?

I hope so.

I would love to see a new party created, called the Republican Party (obviously I am a Republican)... and like Wedge said, take the best policies of both current major parties, etc...

13. Darth_Dagsy

Nov 18, 2000
    Nope. Wont happen. The big parties are tradition as much as anything. A lot of people vote for them because they always have. A third party wont change that.

Plus, how do you define the best policies of both parties? Dont forget, its the differences in viewpoints that makes politics happen....what are the best policies to you, wont necessarily be the best to someone else.

14. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    Yes, it is true, it is personal opinion which decides the best policies.

For example, I would consider myself conservative on morals, ethics and social policies, while lean towards left in economic policy, however, even more and more I find myself changing my view to the other side of the political spectrum in economics as well.

15. stinrab

Jul 9, 1998
    Dagsy; I'll have to agree with you there. Stott Despoja is one of the worst leaders ever. One of my favourite Despoja moments was at the launch of her family policy; they took a picture of her holding a baby with a look which can only be described as "what the heck is this thing? Arrrgh! Responsibility!!!"

Even bloody Meg "GST off uncooked food, but on cooked food" Lees was better. [face_plain]

As for a third party getting up?
    No

I think the closest we ever got to that was the One Nation phenomenon about 5 years ago.

16. GhostOfMarvin

GhostOfMarvin Jedi Youngling

Jun 1, 2002
    I can't stand Natasha. She is such an obnoxious little cow!

I can't stand the fact the minor parties have so much control, it really annoys me.

'Look at me I wear cool shoes' yeah like THAT's going to draw in young voters!

(Thanks dags...I don't want to get banned AGAIN!!!!)

17. Darth_Dagsy

Nov 18, 2000
    Language, Marvin, language...edit that please ;)

18. jediguy

jediguy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2000
    Marvin, you don't want to be banned again now...

19. GhostOfMarvin

Jun 1, 2002
    I think that Crean did the right thing in toning down the power of unions...hardly anybody is in unions these days...unless they get those 'union discount' deals which is about the only advantage I think!

20. stinrab

Jul 9, 1998
    The Liberals basically made the unions redundant anyway. I think Crean is finally starting to realise that

21. GhostOfMarvin

Jun 1, 2002
    ^ I'm inclined to beleive that unions became redundant at the end of the industrial revolution! These days they are just full of angry old men who wear shorts and Tshirts and dont wash.

22. GhostOfKahli

GhostOfKahli Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 3, 2001
    Wow, that's a bit harsh :(

I am not in a union but that is only because of a personal incident where they &*%^ed me over and hung me out to dry, but you have to remember that unions still have a little bit of power, and at least make a united workplace where people can negotiate for better conditions etc.

Although I admit, these days it is more of a case or united we stand, divided at least I get to keep my job and what do I care if you have to live on the street???

23. GhostOfMarvin

Jun 1, 2002
    What do people think about the sale of Telstra?

I think there is little reason not to sell the rest of it off.

As soon as they bring all services (particularly in the bush) up-to-date then I see no reason why it should remain public property.

I did hear an interesting theory the other day...that Howard might actually want to try to keep passing it through parliament, trying to get a double dissolution, with the hope that parliament can be dissolved, with his popularity at peak level! Interesting...I don't know how much strength that theory holds mind you.

24. Darth_Dagsy

Nov 18, 2000
    Even the partial privatisation of Telstra was a bad idea.

Now the company works against infrastructure investment, because it costs too much. As a purely government company, Telstra wouldnt have had to worry about such an outflow of money.

Services to the bush wont get fixed up, broadband infrastructure wont get fixed up. Now its all about the business, rather than being about the people.

The government partially privatised telstra (and wants to finish the job) simply to pay off debts.

However, had the income Telstra was making gone to the debts, it would have only taken a few years to pay the same amount off the debt, and in addition it would have left Telstra in government hands, and given a reliable income stream.

Any sale was a bad idea. Continued sale is a bad idea.

25. MarvinTheMartian

MarvinTheMartian Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 31, 2002
    True, a number of services are bad. And something SHOULD be done about that as soon as possible.

But Telstra, which is already in a competetive marketplace no longer has any reason to remain in public hands, in my opinion, and will be less a burden on the taxpayers once privatised.

Plus, what I think would be a good idea is to maintain government regulation, just to make sure places like the bush aren't forgotten.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.