main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The official pre-release Rise of Nobility Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Fan Audio' started by keithabbott, Jul 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nathan_P_Butler

Nathan_P_Butler Author, Star Wars Tales #21 star 4 VIP

May 23, 2003
    Talked to Lou.

Darn the torpedoes and fool speed ahead.

Or something like that. :)

We can host mirrors for all three, plus the trailers and teasers for ya.

2. Nathan_P_Butler

May 23, 2003
    Keith: I have all the mirror links ready to go, and the files on the server. All that's needed is to get the "go" and I'll be uploading the revised page with the links.

I'm not doing so just yet because there are more people than just me who currently have access to the working site, and I don't know that you'd want anyone, even those tied to the site, to hear the project before Sept. 1, so I'm holding off on that page upload.

I have, however, added your runtime to the page and to the overall tally.

3. keithabbott

keithabbott Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 7, 1998
    Nathan, can you PM me the links to the files themselves? As soon as 9/1 gets here...wether midnight..morning...afternoon..whenever..you can revise the page. Thanks again.

Keith

4. Nathan_P_Butler

May 23, 2003
    PM sent earlier.

Also, are you making CD jewel case inserts for RON? I've gotten the ones for Anthology ready and updated the ones for Second Strike, and we have Ted's up for Resurrection, so it might be a good trend-continuing thing.

5. keithabbott

Aug 7, 1998
    We'll be doing something like that, but it won't be until down the line once the documenetary is done. No ETA at the moment.

Keith

6. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    There's no release thread yet (right?), so I didn't even know it had come out!
    But I heard the thing on NatalieEmpire.com and thought I'd say a few words.
    (Incidentally, I'm also looking forward to her interview with the aforementioned site).

In more or less chronological order:

?Nice way to establish the time and place with Jar Jar's tongue. Though, really, that's a hell of a way to turn the militant fanboys off, starting the story with Jar Jar and his tongue. :p (Trivia: the first character you see in RLR is Jar Jar, too. Screw the militant fanboys, I say. :D) Though "How's your tongue, Jar Jar?" is hardly a fitting way to introduce your heroine! :p
    ?GREAT JOB ELIZABETH.
    ?Shmi voice good. Jar Jar okay too.
    ?Qui-Gon kinda sounds like a child molester.
    ?Great use of music as they take the Pod away at the beginning.
    ?I loved Padme's monologue about the smells, etc. of Naboo water... city walls, etc. Nice link to AOTC when she says her piece on the beauty of the water, etc.
    ?More good music use, with the Sacul-teaching scene.
    ?Anolo sounds oddly calm after a damn spaceship crashed.
    ?I was very, very impressed with the vornskr noises. Couple that with the well-chosen music and Amidala's screams and you've got a hell of a well-designed soundscape for that chase.
    ?I'm not sure if the lodge-the-knife-in-the-vornskr's-ear line was SUPPOSED to be funny, but I laughed.
    ?Frankly I found the vornskr sequence to be more exciting than nearly any other "obligatory creature encounter" scene in SW. (Exception: AOTC's, which kicked ass on a variety of levels.)
    ?Okay, sorry, but ya just can't use Princess Leia's theme in an Amidala story. It was too recognizable for me.
    Xizor's voice was EXACTLY as I used to imagine it reading "Shadows of the Empire" (still one of my favorite EU pieces). Awesome.
    ?Amidala's confession to the Gungan is one of the best bits of fan-media acting I've seen around.
    ?Okay, how many references to pedophilia toward Amidala did we really need?
    ?Good link to ANH with the more-money-than-you-can-imagine bit...
    ?... and great link to ANH and ROTJ with the fake-prisoner trick.
    ?"What the hell"... my opinion on Earth-profanity is well known. I don't like it in ANH, I don't like it in ESB, I don't like it in 2S and I don't like it here. ('Damn' is okay with me. 'Hell', not so much.)
    ?Okay... I don't want to reveal the spoiler, but Nordey's 'special condition' kinda annoyed me, since we've only gotten to see Jedi do that.
    ?I liked the last line.
    ?The credits guy's voice is frankly a little boring.
    ?For future reference, my surname is pronounced "Ber-tah-chee". (Although frankly it hardly matters. Though I was amused to hear myself in my brief cameo. I actually missed myself the first time, lol... I'd forgotten what my lines had been!)

Rick McCallum loves you!

7. keithabbott

Aug 7, 1998
    Adam....so did you enjoy it? Was it entertaining, adventurous and fun? :)

Anyhoo...I guess NatalieEmpire.com jumped the gun...I think they were thinking THIS Monday instead of next. Eeek. I gotta get them to correct this cause I really want all the mirror sites up first before I release it officially otherwise a few sites are going to get hit all at once which would be bad.

Stay tuned. Adam, I'll make some comments about your post in a bit. :)

-edited in-

?I love Jar Jar, so all you anti-Jar Jar fan boys can go jump in a frozen lake or something. hehe.
    ?GREAT JOB ELIZABETH. I totally agree.
    ?Do you know how hard it is to find a Shmi? Ohhhh my.... :) There's only one Pernilla August. Jar Jar...I'm not the best of the fans doing imitations, but part of audio drama project was to try and get everyone involved in the acting..so I did at least try. That's about the most I can say about that.
    ?Qui-Gon kinda sounds like a child molester? Eek. I'm not sure about that, but..umm..okay. hehe.
    ?Great use of music as they take the Pod away at the beginning. Glad you liked it. I'll take the credit for that.
    ?I loved Padme's monologue about the smells, etc. of Naboo water... city walls, etc. Nice link to AOTC when she says her piece on the beauty of the water, etc. === Actually, the really weird thing is...Linda wrote that even before AOTC came out. I just tried to link it musically with that of the deleted scene in Ep2. It just kinda ended up sounding like that scene. Pretty spooky huh? Linda wrote just like George. eiry.
    ?More good music use, with the Sacul-teaching scene. === Cool, I'll take the credit for that. :) I wanted to contrast the scene. It starts out jovial and light and then gets very dark. So the music choices had to reflect that change.
    ?Anolo sounds oddly calm after a damn spaceship crashed. === I agree to some extent. But I have to cut Kody some slack. He was very sick all throughout recording. And I know he did his best under the conditions of being in and out of the hospital. I tell ya though...he did have the best voice for Anolo out of all the people we had auditioned.
    ?I was very, very impressed with the vornskr noises. Couple that with the well-chosen music and Amidala's screams and you've got a hell of a well-designed soundscape for that chase. === This was the first scene I worked on. It was NOT easy by any means and honestly I'm still not totally satisfied that it "works". But I did my best with it, and I knew it would be tough from day one so that's why I started with it first. Actually that whole scene was my idea to Linda. It was really hard to create by sound and have it come out visually correct if that makes sense. Either way, I'm glad to see you noticed the intensity in it's creation. I worked on that scene for an entire year to get it close to right. We even made changes to it during the last editorial meeting.
    ?I'm not sure if the lodge-the-knife-in-the-vornskr's-ear line was SUPPOSED to be funny, but I laughed. === I can see how it would be funny, but I didn't go for it to be funny. Anolo has delusions of grandure in this scene. He honestly thinks he can kill it. Amidala is the smarter one though. But...she does goes along with it.
    ?Frankly I found the vornskr sequence to be more exciting than nearly any other "obligatory creature encounter" scene in SW. (Exception: AOTC's, which kicked ass on a variety of levels.) === I'll take that as a compliment! :)
    ?Okay, sorry, but ya just can't use Princess Leia's theme in an Amidala story. It was too recognizable for me. === I'll take credit for that. Most every (but one) of the music choices were mine. I loved Leia's theme where it was. I used it as a mood catcher. In fact, I took music from a lot of different places in the two trilogies. That was my idea from the start actually. I didn't want it to sound pigeonholed into one trilogy, or allt he famous music. I picked it just for the mood sake. It really wasn't to connect Padme and Leia. Heck, I was told that the Yoda and the Force didn't quite work for the Nordey/Padme scene in

8. Elan-Rai

Elan-Rai RSA Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 11, 2001
    ?"What the hell"... my opinion on Earth-profanity is well known. I don't like it in ANH, I don't like it in ESB, I don't like it in 2S and I don't like it here.

Oh well, there goes Coruscant? too! [face_laugh]

9. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    Elan -- heh, no, comedies it's okay. (I think American Jedi's "Feel the Force, mother****er" is a line for the ages!) But something about Earth profanity in SW (exception: 'damn') bugs me.

keith, yeah, I thought it was good. I liked the fact that it was essentially a simple adventure that happened to involve an important SW character in a fairly logical way, rather than something that was supposed to change the universe forever (a fan-media pitfall if ever there was one).

Rick McCallum loves you!

10. keithabbott

Aug 7, 1998
    I like how you said that Adam. It was indeed a story. A fragment of her life that had purpose in moving her from point A to point B. That's all it was.

I'm glad ya liked it. I think it's possible that it may take time to grow on some folks. Of course, that time may never come...but I didn't like TPM much when I first saw it..and now I really do enjoy it.

Oh and considering the faux-pas, I'm considering releasing the audio drama early. Possibly as early as tonight if I can work out the details.

Keith

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.