main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The official, purely speculative, non social, beard and food theory thread.

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by Shoeless Jedi, Oct 17, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shoeless Jedi

Shoeless Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 13, 2000
    This thread is brought to you as the result of another thread that's not so old but has a lot of history. Certain key JCers have developed over time some very interesting theories pertaining to Star Wars and the symbolism of hair and food. It was first proposed by I_am_not_a_gun, and has grown since with the input of members like Pedro, queeq, Monks, Keokiswahine, Polaris63, Darth-hole, PrincessKenobi, and myself (apologies to anyone I've left out). As a result of careful research based on previous movies, these theories have come to fruition, and it is the job of this thread to apply these theories and their possibilities to Epsodes 2 and 3. So, whether you're new or old, I invite you to discuss.

We shall focus on speculation regarding Episodes II and III only, though if need be the other movies may be touched upon, so long as it's in the interest of applying it to the new movies. Sheer discussion of upcoming characters who may or may not have beards or what not, as well as the implications of food.

And remember folks, if people feel this is approaching a social thread, it will need to be closed, so KEEP IT SPECULATIVE. (no talk of beardi knights - that belongs in the social thread)

Now with the formalities over with, I bring u selections from the frevious thread, which can be referenced here: http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=699993&page=1 but don't post there cause it's closed, post here :)

*Originally posted by I_am_not_a_gun*
    Ok, right,

Big Pappa Georgiou - a bearded man,right

Qui-gon jinn - a bearded man,right

Obi-wan - now a bearded man,right

Anakin - no beard! AH HA! he must be ewil!

Does this mean Beard = Good, No beard = bad

or perhaps its 2 beards good, four hairless chins bad?

There is clearly a sinsiter plot underway by george to bring beards back into fashion by stealth.

*Originally posted by Darth-Hole*
    i think the eating theme strong throughout the saga

The Rancor died trying to eat
    The whole throwing for the sarlacc to eat caused chaos
    That worm thingy on that asteroid that tried to swallow the Falcon
    The thing in the trach compactor that tried to eat luke
    The thing on Dagobah that tried to eat R2

I think GL has is trying to make us eat through these subliminal messages!!!

*and by Monks*
    Ahahaha,
    I return to find a new theory pervading the boards. This is the way I see it. If you try and have a meal you will die.

Wampa
    Rancor
    Qui Gonn
    Jabba

This is almost as infalliable as beard theory. Quality

*Those posts got the beard and food theories started, but even recently ne revelations were made regarding the theories -

*Originally posted by Pedro and edited for relevance by myself*
    Um, behold, or something.

Facial hair (good)
    -----------------------
    Agrippa Aldrette - http://www.jedinet.com/prequels/multimedia/pictures/Episode_I/Characters/Galactic_Senate/jsenate022. jpg
    Aqualish delegation - http://www.jedinet.com/prequels/multimedia/pictures/Episode_I/Characters/Galactic_Senate/jsenate002. jpg
    Biggs Darklighter - http://www.theforce.net/multimedia/pics/Characters/Biggs/biggs7.jpg
    (Technically, he's an Imperial in this picture, but whatever.)
    Bob Hudsol - http://www.theforce.net/multimedia/pics/Characters/Rebel_Officers/bob_hudsol.jpg
    Bren Derlin - http://web.qx.net/red6/aliens/rebel/derlin.jpg
    Captain Yutani - http://www.decipher.com/starwars/cardlists/endor/light/images/captainyutani.gif
    Cecil Bibble - http://web.qx.net/red6/aliens/naboo/Woods.jpg
    Corporal Janse - http://www.decipher.com/starwars/cardlists/endor/light/images/corporaljanse.gif
    Crix Madine - http://www.theforce.net/multimedia/pics/Characters/General_Madine/madine4.jpg
    Firin Morett - http://www.decipher.com/starwars/cardlists/specialedition/light/images/firinmorett.gif
    Hugo Eckener - http://web.qx.net/red6/aliens/naboo/HugoEckener.jpg
    Jan Dodonna - http://www.theforce.net/multimedia/pics/Characters/Dodonna/dodonna.jpg
    Jek Porkins - http://www.theforce.net/multimedia/pics/Characters/Porkins/pork

2. Darth-hole

Darth-hole Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 1, 2000
    as i asked earlier, in relation to stormtroopers being in E2 & 3... do they have hair under their helmets?

(good work Shoeless BTW)

3. BobaPhil

BobaPhil Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 26, 2000
    So would the select picture featuring the Star Wars Buffett also be foreshadowing the death of millions across the galaxy? There's lots of food in that picture.

4. Teniel Djo

Teniel Djo Jedi Master star 5

Apr 8, 2000
    Hmm...

I think George is putting us on the ultimate subliminal diet by relating food with evil. Perhaps even adressing the great issue of american obesity and how it relates to myth and our roots in the past. And having just done all that over anlylization I will leave you to ponder to sanity of the one posting this. ME.

5. BobaPhil

Sep 26, 2000
    There has been much debate as to Christopher Lee's apparent goatee and how this effects the hair=good theory.

Perhaps the goatee reflects Lee's "charasmatic seperatist" ways. Maybe he is not sure which side to believe and go along with, thus the goatee. It reflects his inner struggle in determining the true nature of the events before him and what side he wants to stand for. Or maybe he just likes the look. : )

Does this make any sense? I can elaborate further if i have to. If you understand what im trying to say, then thoughts please.

6. Shoeless Jedi

May 13, 2000
    http://www.theforce.net/episode2/newspics/beard_mac.jpg

New pic of bearded Obi Wan! Not as good as the last one, but it's still something. It looks different though, it appears Ewan won't be sporting the same beard he has in the movie nowadays. Oh well, it's still a good pic and the story behind it's at TFn. Now as for Dooku, I'm still torn, but I know his goatee is a powerful representation of the charisma his character will certainly have. In general it seems he'll be a very well groomed and ashionable character in all aspect of hair, and this will certainly show people his character, be it good or evil. I think another place where both hair and food will be highly symbolic will be the Knightclub scene. If it is a hive of scum and villainy like many suggest, it would only be natural that little hair will be present on the club patrons. Anyway, that's my input for now, I still have much to ponder.

7. Jedi Swoosh

Jedi Swoosh Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 10, 1999
    First, I must say that while my midichlorian count is very high, my whisker count is low.

I admire your tenacity in ironing out this theory Shoeless Jedi. I sense that the fact that I have a low whisker count makes it impossible for me to fully understand the subtlety of Quantum Beard Theory.

The food theory seems to be easier to pin down, mostly because we have seen less eating in the saga. This theory seems to hold water, because all of the people we see eating or cooking die. I think it is safe to say that the deaths of Padme, Shmi, and Jar Jar in the prequel sequels will strengthen this theory.

Though I have little facial hair, I hope that I can bridge the gap between the Beardi and the whiskerless. I hope that I can act as an ambassador between peoples of all shapes and whisker-lengths. I hope the Beardi can trust that I am one of the good and open-minded beardless. Maybe, I will find that the way of the beard is in my destiny, but for now I hope that the Beardi Knights will accept me in a role as a peacekeeping aid.

May the Force (and the Beard) be with you

8. Shoeless Jedi

May 13, 2000
    errr, I dunno what this whole beardi knight thing is you refer to jedi swoosh (keep it in the social thread or else this thread'll get shut down) but anyway I have to agree that the food theory will no doubt be solidified in the coming prequals. As unfortunateas it may be, I am sure that both Padme and Jar Jar, as well as countless others will die in the coming films. JJ and Padme already ate in TPM so they're beyond screwed, plus I'm sure much more eating will take place in Episode 2, so that'll be the clincher. I'm curious to see what the big feast will be that the jedi share, because I'm certain they must have a feast of some sort since so many of them are going to die.

9. queeq

queeq Jedi Master star 4

Feb 10, 1999
    Hi Jedi Swoosh, thank you for joining our discussion. Shoeless, thanks for this wonderful revival of beard and food discussion.

Actually, that pic of Ewan with beard... I was wondering is that the same beard he has in the Spy Pics. I think I remember seeing Ewan fully wigged and bearded and that the beard was much fuller than his real beard. I'll have to check it out...

Dooku will be a point of debate until spoilers may reveal much. I am still not sure Lee's character is evil. I find it hard to believe that Lucas would sell his own beard short. On the previous Select Pic he had not shaved it, so my guess is that the Beard-theory stands.

queeq out

10. Ki-Adi Bundi

Ki-Adi Bundi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 3, 2000
    Interesting theories. Im particulalrly more inclined for the food theory, because there is only one exception (Luke eating in ESB), but it is the exception that confirms the rule.

Now for the beard theory, I think it is more flawed. Mace Windu and Yoda, no hairs whatsoever.

Does Bail organa sports a facial hair of some kind? He will have, because hes suposed to be good.

And if the new sith is female, shell be beareded? A wookie sith perhaps?

11. Vertical

Vertical Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 6, 1999
    // watching

Looks good so far... Swoosh, be careful.

Vertical

12. Monks

Monks Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 31, 2000
    Good work Shoe.

The crux of this issue really is Doku/Lee IMHO. The truth of the matter is that GL sees the beard as a sign of respect. Check out his fellow facially folicle family of film-makers;

Spielberg
    De Palma
    Coppolla

All bearded and indeed when a young GL showed up on set of one of Coppolla's early films he was told to "grow a beard as people respect you more"

Why then when he has consistently "adhered" to this theory would he alter it for Christopher Lee. I think that many beleive that Lee's character synopsis of being charismatic sepratist and the first to turn as indicative of him being evil. Surely though there is a possibility that he is seperating from the popular beleif that Palpatine should control the Jedi and he is the first to turn away from his power?

13. Jedi Swoosh

Jedi Swoosh Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 10, 1999
    Sorry Vert,

I didn't realize how serious you guys were taking the non-social aspect of this thread. It seems to me that Shoeless Jedi must have gotten reprimanded for creating those monstrous threads. I thought we were allowed to have a couple social threads. Or is it that we are trying to limit it to one OFFICIAL Social Thread within the Episode II/III Spoiler Forum?

Anyway, I apologize for breaking any rules

One question: How does the EU fit into beard theory? I would guess that it is taken less seriously because we are hypothesizing that GL is the source of this beard theory. He didn't write the EU, but he did authorize it. Maybe, he secretly got some EU writers to add some beards to the good guys so that he could continue his master plan even after the movies are done.

May the Force be with you

14. Vertical

Vertical Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 6, 1999
    One social thread, period. It's epic's "Countdown Line" thread. Feel free to socialize in there. This thread was OK'ed by me on the strict condition that there be NO socializing in this thread.

In the future, I don't want to be SO damn strict about stuff, but recently things just go WAY too out of hand, with as many as four or five social-like threads on the first page... That was just too much, and it's time to crack down.

So, thanks for understanding, and carry on with your speculation.

Vertical

15. Darth_Dolza

Darth_Dolza Jedi Master star 5

Sep 19, 2000
    Regarding Lee's goatee:

I think that the goatee should be treated differently than, say, a Lucas-like beard. A goatee, IMO, can lend a feeling of slickness (or craftiness, if you prefer) to a person, especially when it's worn by someone with a narrow face. Taking other movies into account, examples of the duplicitious, nebulous, or otherwise shady characters can be found to wear a goatee, as well as folks who turn out to be of solid and upstanding character as well (which is why I like to wear one myself).

I now submit the following cinematic examples for your perusal:

"A Lion in Winter" (Peter O'Toole, Katherine Hepburn, Anthony Hopkins, Timothy Dalton; 1968) -- a story about King Henry II of England and his family. A perfect example of the strong full-bearded royal types (O'Toole as Henry, Hopkins as Richard the Lionhearted) and scheming princes, especially Dalton's character (prince Phillip of France), who's sporting a slick goatee. Phillip deftly manipulates Henry's three boys into betraying their father (in various degrees), showing a craftiness that makes a movie like this.

"Braveheart" (Mel Gibson; you guys know about this one...) -- All I have to say is check out Robert the Bruce and Longshanks. Robert's got a goatee, maneuvers Wallace into a bad spot (albeit reluctantly), but then comes through in the end, showing some real intestinal fortitude.

"Othello" (Lawrence Fishburne, Kenneth Branaugh) -- This one's just flush with thin-bearded folk. Iago's the one to look at, though. Ever the schemer, Iago gets everybody distrusting everybody else in some way.

And, finally,

"Raiders of the Lost Ark" and the rest of the Indy movies -- How familiar this is! We have a goateed fellow who helps Indy along while in Egypt; a trusted and loyal friend of solid character, but with knowledge of the shady side of things.

So, at least in these few examples, we have duplicitous goateed guys, or at least fellows who can be shady once in a while.

All this makes me wonder about Bail Organa's character makeup in light of the fact that Jimmy Smits is sporting a goatee...

16. Darth-hole

Darth-hole Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 1, 2000
    Ki-Adi Bundi -
    In the final cut of the film it does appear that Luke eats yoda's porridge. In fact, the shot where Luke spits it out was cut.

In reply to your questions on Beard theory, Yoda DOES have big porkchop style sidies in TPM. watch it and you will see. with regard to mace, we dont know how good he is...

17. BobaPhil

Sep 26, 2000
    I remember reading somewhere (maybe in the Star Wars: Magic of Myth book) that samuri warriors grew beards as a sign of respect and knowledge and that beards have been a symbol throughout legends and mythology. There are obvious parallels between Jedi and samuri so this would make sense. Ill do some research on this and get back to everyone. However, if you know what Im talking about or have the book, please check me on this.

18. Darth_Dolza

Sep 19, 2000
    BobaPhil, some samurai also went so far as to put fake moustaches and beards on the hambo (facemasks) of their armor. So, assuming that facial hair has a psychological effect on the enemy and friends alike based on samurai habits makes sense to me...

19. Lord Mauly Mall

Lord Mauly Mall TFN/JC Banner Artist Team star 7 VIP

Oct 21, 1999
    I'd like to see Anakin with a beard and longer hair, come Episode 3.

Episode 1: Qui-Gon had a beard and long hair; his padawan is Obi-Wan who is clean-shaven with short hair.

Episode 2: Obi-Wan has a beard with longer hair; his padawan is Anakin who is clean-shaven with short hair.

Episode 3: Anakin has a beard and longer hair; Obi-Wan looks like Qui-Gon.

Perhaps the influence of the Master or mentor rubs off on the padawan. Either way, I'd like to see Anakin with a beard and longer hair in Episode 3, to give him a darker look.

20. queeq

queeq Jedi Master star 4

Feb 10, 1999
    Great posts all.

Oh Mauly Mall, Anakin can and should never have a beard. Beard is a sign of goodness and Anakin will have no goodness until his rebellion in ROTJ. So as far as I'm concerned, that's out of the question.

About Luke eating in ESB, I can't really say Luke actually EATS the rootleaf stew, he TASTES it and abandones it. He DOES eat one of those Space Twix, but we can't really call that food. Yoda didn't!

Dolza, Sallah (Indy's buddy in Raiders) did not have a goatee: it really was a genuine beard.

(to himnself: Let's see: speculation of upcoming prequels, debate, no mention of Be...errr.. that's about it.)

queeq out

21. Ki-Adi Bundi

Ki-Adi Bundi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 3, 2000
    To Darth-hole:

I sure have to admit I didnt know the scene with Luke spitting out the swamp stew was filmed. But I am afraid, my friend, that if it was cut it isnt in the film and cannot be considered for speculation.

22. queeq

queeq Jedi Master star 4

Feb 10, 1999
    I agree the spitting out is not canon. But Luke only TASTES it though, he doesn't really eat it.

queeq out

23. Lord Mauly Mall

Oct 21, 1999
    queeq, since when does a beard denote goodness? I seem to recall that the general look of Satan was made of horns, moustache, and a beard or goatee. And since Anakin does revert back to the good side in ROTJ, by your theory, wouldn't that mean he would have a beard?

24. Darth_Dolza

Sep 19, 2000
    Hmm... My memory must be going a bit... Thanks for the correction, queeq.

Anyhow, the common characture (sp) of the Devil generally includes a goatee, Lord Mauly Maul, so I guess that would fit in with my thing about trating goatees differently...

25. Lord Mauly Mall

Oct 21, 1999
    I would think just the opposite of what queeq mentioned about beards. That being that a clean-shaven face means cleanliness and goodness. While beards, moustaches and goatee's hint at evil and darkness.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.