main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The official, purely speculative, non social, beard and food theory thread.

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by Shoeless Jedi, Oct 17, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Dolza

Darth_Dolza Jedi Master star 5

Sep 19, 2000
    But there is a long history of bearded good guys. Think about it: Greek gods (you never see Zeus without a beard, do you?), Abe Lincoln, umm... lumberjacks; y'know, powerful cats. So, there's a dichotomy with the beard; a dark and light side, if you will.

Besides, as the fellas pointed out, SW has its share of bearded good guys, including GL himself...

2. BobaPhil

BobaPhil Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 26, 2000
    Dont forget John Williams. Hes bearded, too. : )

3. Lord Mauly Mall

Lord Mauly Mall TFN/JC Banner Artist Team star 7 VIP

Oct 21, 1999
    Oh yes, John Williams, who has received Saint status in my book.

Basically the whole clean-shaven vs. beard argument doesn't hold much water. I'd still like to see Anakin with a beard at some point.

*ejects himself from discussion

4. Darth-hole

Darth-hole Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 1, 2000
    Lord Mauly Mall - i dont seem to remember satan being in SW! the beard theory really only applies to SW.
    Queeq is right about Space Twix', they dont count as food

5. Lord Mauly Mall

Oct 21, 1999
    Actually Darth Maul was pretty darn close to Satan. IMO, his tattoos suggested a beard. In my earlier posts, I was referring to the classical sense of what evil usually looks like since the general opinion here seemed to suggest that facial hair equates to goodness.

But again, that argument doesn't hold up since characters both good and bad have clean faces and beards in Star Wars.

6. Darth-hole

Sep 1, 2000
    You really should read the original Moto: Sinister Beardy Agenda thread. That will explain Beard Theory properly.

Basically, in the SW universe beard theory says that...
    Beard - Good (male) person (eg. Obi-wan, Ki-Adi Mundi)
    Long OTT Hair - Good (female) person (eg. Amidala, Leia)
    Hairy/furry - Good thing (eg. Chewie, Ewok)
    Mop/Mullet - Good person, often young and unable to get proper facial growth yet. (eg. Luke)
    Receding/Bald - Bad (eg. Maul, Palpatine, Vader)

so thats the basic rules of beard theory.

7. Lord Mauly Mall

Oct 21, 1999
  8. Darth-hole

Sep 1, 2000
    so really, just cos its called Beard theory doesnt mean its just about beards, hair in general.
    beard theory does pose a few interesting questions though. namely the goodness of Mace and Count Dooku.

9. Shoeless Jedi

Shoeless Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 13, 2000
    Darth Hole, Satan is more or less in the Cantina scene of ANH, I forget his technical name and what species he is, but you all know who I'm talkin about, the devil guy - and in SW, that Devil guy is beardless :) Bravo everyone for keeping the thread alive, the discussions are great, we're really hammering out the theory here. Now unfortunately rumors regarding beards have been slow lately. So I'll do my best to bring something up. As many of you know by now, ex-rugby player Ian Roberts has a minor role in Episode 2. Some things to think about when looking at him. In the following picture http://www.theforce.net/episode2/newspics/ianroberts.jpg While looking happy, he's clearly a scruffy looking bloke. It's only stubbly though so could we be seeing yet another underhanded character? True he's got a minor role, but remember, size matters not. On the other hand, comes this picture http://www.theforce.net/episode2/newspics/ianroberts2.jpg Where he looks much neater, although clearly he's ready to beat someone up. A juztoposition in itself. Granted we now nothing of the character he'll play, but if he keeps his usual look for the movie, we're definitely looking ad a very shady or downright evil character here....

10. Pedro

Pedro Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 1999

I was going to stay out of it after people got upset at me for pooping on their muffins, but I have one small point to raise here: Lee in fact has a beard, not a goatee. Go look at the two pics of him I linked to in my big post which shoe brought over.

11. Darth-hole

Sep 1, 2000
    yeah... and?

12. Pedro

Pedro Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 1999

Yeah...and Phil, and shoe, and Dolza thought he had a goatee (and speculated accordingly). He doesn't.

13. BobaPhil

Sep 26, 2000
    I believe these Ian Roberts pictures were taken a while ago and do not reflect his current shaven or unshaven state. However, it is fun to speculate.

Another intersting point to note is that the Bothan Spies are hairy creatures( remember them?they supplied the rebel alliance with all that information on the second Death Star). I was trying to find a picture of what they look like to post here but my search turned up nothing. If you can help, please post it.

My point is perhaps we will see the Bothans at work as the Empire begins to rise. Maybe we'll see Bothans start to supply the resistance to the Empire with information. At the very least, maybe we'll see what makes them such good spies. Is it the hair? : )

14. Shoeless Jedi

May 13, 2000
    hmmm....interesting. And don't worry Pedro, there's no muffins to poop in here, only theory, so feel free to speculate all u like. If u wanna poop in any muffins, that's for the social thread :) So Dooku has a beard and not a goatee....well then I'm convinced he's good until I'm proved otherwise!

Good ideas Boba, it must be the hair! And now that you've brought that to my attention, I hope we do see them in the upcoming movies!

15. BobaPhil

Sep 26, 2000
    AH HA! Its a complete beard that Lee has.

D'OH!

Thanks for pointing that out to me pedro.

16. Shoeless Jedi

May 13, 2000
    hmmm....why were we confused and thought it was a goatee?

Oh, I think it was the Frech Isider with Lee's pic on the cover. I think he looked goateeish in that pic.

17. Pedro

Pedro Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 1999

Well, 1.) it's white, and 2.) it doesn't come up very high on the cheeks. That's what I'd guess, anyway.

18. Shoeless Jedi

May 13, 2000
    ok then, it's settled, Lee's good in my mind till I'm proved otherwise....

19. Pedro

Pedro Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 1999

What does the fact that he said in an interview that he's a bad guy do to your mind?

20. BobaPhil

Sep 26, 2000
    It looks very similiar in style to the beard that Russell Crowe had in Gladiator.

21. BobaPhil

Sep 26, 2000
    A few posts back I was discussing the Bothan Spies. Ive been scouring the net trying to find a picture of them. The below site is the best I could do. Funny, I can recall every picture from the site EXCEPT that of the Bothan. Hope there is some merit to this picture but I have my doubts.

http://www.fortunecity.com/tattooine/jabba/113/Races.html#Bothan

22. Pedro

Pedro Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 1999

Well, there's been no Bothan in a film. I think The Essential Guide to Characters has a drawing of Borsk Fey'yla (sp) in it. Yeah, it's EU, but so is any Bothan rendering. Er, rendering of a Bothan. You know what I mean.

23. Shoeless Jedi

May 13, 2000
    Ok, that's what I was thinkin too. Anyway in latest "news", rumor has it that Jack Thompson was seen sporting a beard recently. I really wonder if this is a post filming beard or if his character sported it. I'm on a hunt for pictures right now if anyone can help. As far as I know there aren't any on set pics of him, lets hope some surface soon, we need losts more pics and character details in general so we can hammer out the theory's implications for the coming films.

24. Pedro

Pedro Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 1999

Check the link I had for Smits. I think Thompson's in that one. But I always confuse him with the guy playing Amidala's dad, so maybe not. (Or *is* he the guy playing Amidala's dad? As I said, me forget.)

25. Shoeless Jedi

May 13, 2000
    Ok, looked at the pic. He's beardless there, but we still don't know what's up on set. Now also looking at that picture, I noticed many of the women folk have very short hair - which going with the beard theory (and provided they have such short hair on set) means they'll be shady in one way or another. The night club waitresses however seem to have much hair though done in very outlandish styles, and I'm not sure where the theory stands on outlandish styles. They're quite hot though so I'm gonna hope they're all good, though either way they'll be scantil clad so everybody wins really. Course most of it probably doesn't matter casue they're minor roles mostly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.