The Official Rebirth discussion thread! (Spoilers allowed from Conq and Reb)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Mastadge, Apr 2, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Freyja Jedi Master

star 4
    While I do like the cover of Rebirth, I would have preferred they put a lightsaber in Maras hand as oppossed to the gun. There is something about a pregnant woman with a giant gun in her hand that makes my blood turn cold. She is a Jedi and the lightsaber is a more "civilized" looking weapon,as Ben would say. Although I am happy to finally have her on a cover. When I think about it though, a gun would be more useful to someone whose become less agile then the lightsaber would. Oh, well.
  2. Grand_Admiral_Xian Jedi Knight

star 1
    You all have good points...

I just hope the Jedi kick ass and chew gum... and run out of gum....
  3. Entil`Zha Jedi Master

star 4
    My opinion is that Rebirth will be the actual rebirth of the Jedi Order. They were kinda hated by the citizens of the New Republic, but with the comments from the rescued slaves on Yavin, it may give a wake-up call to the citizens and say: Hey, the Jedi can still save us, look what they did on Yavin... thus giving Kyp the recognition he always wanted and boosting the morale support to the Order.

I only hope to read Luke say: "Jedi Knights, lightsabers ignited, charge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
  4. Freyja Jedi Master

star 4
    All the Jedi showing the Vong and the galaxy what they are really made of. That would be great. After that, Borsk will be humiliated and ousted out of the goverment for not supporting them. I don't know who should take his place though. Any ideas? Lots of young Jedis on the rise, but no politicians. Maybe after they finally show their stuff, we'll get a President who is also a Jedi.
  5. Mastadge Manager Emeritus

star 7
    What should, but won't, happen:

Skycrawler is born, but is terribly deformed due to the Vong disease, and Mara dies in childbirth. Luke then calls the Jedi together, and they go to the NR senate, and then Luke makes the following speech:

"We've made too many compromises already; too many retreats. The Yuuzhan Vong invade our space, and we fall back. They destroy entire worlds, and we fall back. NOT AGAIN. The line must be drawn HERE! This far, no farther! And I will make them PAY for what they've done!"
  6. LawgSkrak Force Ghost

star 4
    ROTFL

Good one Mastadge!
  7. excalibur2358 Jedi Master

star 4
    whoa. that's a scary thought. losing wife and son...luke would go beserk! don't want to see that, sorry.
  8. Tahiri Jedi Master

star 4
    Luke would go nuts...it'd be so sad!

I've been wondering though, do you think that a completely different sentient race has mangaged to survive alongside the Vong in their galaxy? You can hardly have only one race in control of a whole galaxy, can you...?

As for earlier in the thread, I think that Rebirth will be sort of the "rebirth" of the Jedi order...they'll have a renewed hope or something like that. I can hardly wait, Conquest was way to short!! :_| 4 months till Rebirth.....
  9. Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    About Mara and the blaster:

Mara can't be jumping around dueling while she is about to give birth. A ranged weapon is better.

Besides, when have covers ever absoultly stuck to the storyline of their books?

About the another race in the Vong galaxy:

I think the Vong galaxy is really small compared to the GFFA and our own galaxy. The Vong faught for milenia over the barren worlds of their galaxy. Thats why they are invading the GFFA. Yun-Yuuzhan created the GFFA, full of infidels ready to be converted or killed, and grand worlds ready to be settled.
  10. Tahiri Jedi Master

star 4
    That's a good point...lol, I always imagine that galaxies *have* to be huge
  11. Mastadge Manager Emeritus

star 7
    Some excerpts from the recent chat:

"It's longer than Conquest, though not a whole lot longer. There's only so many pages I can write in two months, unfortunatly. Rebirth has a bigger caste. Lots of Han, Leia, Threepio, etc. Look for much more Corran. Jaina, Kyp, Anakin and Tahiri of course, and the new, improved Jacen."

"Yes, the kid is born. I was asked to submit a list of possible names, which I did. From the ten I submitted, Lucasfilms made the pick."

"Leia has her legs, yes. And they work"

"However, I think you'll see a lot more of Luke. Lando might show up in Rebirth. Han and Leia are certainly going to stay on stage. That said, you'll see the Solo kids growing in importance."

"Nen Yim is in Rebirth a good bit. You'll get some lowdown on more YV tech."

"I think I can say you will meet a YV who has a definite -- if not always pleasant -- sense of humor."

Also, apparently Conquest was 90-100 thousand words, whereas Rebirth will be about 120
    ::does some quick figures in his head::
    ok Rebirth should be about 365 pages.
  12. Wildwookiee Force Ghost

star 4
    I think that they need to bring Callista into this book...she's the only other SW charicter that has no force ability...maybe she'll be able to figure it out. Also, I think that Anakin is able to sense the Vong, it seemed that he was able to fight them better after he rebuilt his lightsaber. who knows...
  13. Mastadge Manager Emeritus

star 7
    My guesswork summary:

Luke, after having a chat with Anakin and Tahiri about the Vong, and after his fallout with Borsk and the NR, and after hearing all of Kyps talk and Anakins new ideas, and seeing that Jedi are being slaughtered left and right by the Peace Brigade, desperate civilians, and Vong, sits down and realizes he needs to come up with some really good decisions REAL FAST. However, he has a real hard time coming to terms with what to do because Mara's pregnancy is approaching its end, and not only does he not want to put her in undue jeaperdy, but Luke and Mara are also fretting about what effect the disease may have had on the Kid. However, Luke realizes that he has no choice, and he gathers and unifies the Jedi, and sets them to help the NR in spite of itself, finally giving the "by any means necessary" go-ahead.

Han and Leia come out of their hidey-hole, having healed themselves and their relationship physically and somewhat emotionally, and start pro-Jedi campaigning among the people of the NR, as well as efforts to get military people like Traest who are discontent with the NR as well as armed civilians like Booster and Corran who have ships to band together and get serious about the Vong. As well as gamblers and smugglers like Karrde and Lando who may not have much of their own firepower but have the connections. However, Borsk being Borsk obviously doesn't like these actions.

While all of this Jedi organizing is going on, Anakin and Tahiri, wanted for murder by the Peace Brigade, either know some YV secrets from the end of COnquest, or stumble onto some new stuff at the beginning of rebirth. They flee the Peace Brigade "they flee into hyperspace - and into far greater peril..." Probably they end up with some Shamed Ones who follow them around.

Back with the Jedi, all our favs, but especially Jacen, are kicking some Vong ass. But of course Nem Yim is on the Vong side, continuing her ungodly and illicit examination of what makes the Jedi tick, and coming close to devastating breakthroughs of her own. Luke and Mara continue to worry, but Luke is in top form killing Vong. It probably will end up with Anakin and Tahiri bringing some allied Shamed Ones back, the Jedi on the verge of doing something big, Mara giving birth, etc.

Of course, I could be wrong, and Mara could give birht in the middle, but I doubt it.
  14. Wildwookiee Force Ghost

star 4
    I think that you're on the right track...I think that The Vong's tragic flaw is their inability to adapt
  15. killfire Force Ghost

star 4
    "they flee into hyperspace - and into far greater peril..."

Who's supposedly still in hyperspace?

Daala Darling ...

16. Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
  17. gwjedi Jedi Knight

star 1
    What if that shaper manages to kidnap skycrawler shortly after its birth and does some awful testing on it? can you imagine the wrath of Luke and Mara that would then befall upon the vong?
  18. Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    No one DARES harm even a hair on the Skycrawler's precious little head!!!

And, a baby - well, that's even sicker than a fourteen-year-old.
  19. Mastadge Manager Emeritus

star 7
    Five score and five days to go...
  20. Wildwookiee Force Ghost

star 4
    That would be interesting to see Skycrawler get captured by the vong. just think of the possibilities
  21. Darth Tuna Jedi Master

star 2
    You guys are watching too many soap operas!!!
  22. Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Hmm. The baby being captured. Intresting. We'll have to see.

I wasn't worried about waiting for Conquest. I wasn't that happy with BP, and so I lost a little intrest in the NJO. Thats different now. I feel that special feeling I got after I read VP and AoC. It is a damn long time until Rebirth. CoD should be good though. And with the coming of Rebirth, there is also the coming of the next school year.

:( :( :(

I guess I can wait a while. :D
  23. Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    After July 31 there is still one whole month of freedom left for me!
  24. Mastadge Manager Emeritus

star 7
    "Mara was obviously pregnant in this book. She had some difficulties as well, which I tried to foreshadow slightly on the cover."

From the cover artist's site. Here's a link to the hiquality cover image:

http://tnielsen.com/artists/nielsen/art/tnrebirthdetail.jpg

The difficulties, from what I can see are either:
    a) with the pregnancy, as you can tell by the expression on Mara's face and the hand on the swollen belly.
    b) domestic problems, as evidenced by Luke's messed up face.

Take your pick.
  25. Tahiri Jedi Master

star 4
    Is there a definite date? cuz I keep hearing different ones....When is SbS coming out, anyway? I hate long waits...grr..
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.