main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Official Rebirth discussion thread! (Spoilers allowed from Conq and Reb)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Mastadge, Apr 2, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Keiran_Halcyon

Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Youngling star 2

May 26, 2001
    I think Anakin is going to be the force to be reckoned with. The Vong are going to be desperate to take him and Tahiri out. I think we should see Boba Fett get hired to kick some Vong a$$ [face_mischief] That'd be awesome, I mean he's soooooooooo cool. With all those weapons he carries around on his back he'd waste on em.

2. Keiran_Halcyon

Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Youngling star 2

May 26, 2001
    Jacen doesn't school anything. The kid sucks, member how Luke had to help him when he thought he had a vision that told him to go and fight the Vong? Look how that turned out, Uncle Lukie had to go save his wittle butt. Sorry for being so negative about Jacen but the guy gets on my nerves. Now you want to talk about somebody who SCHOOLS yes you guessed it it's Corrrran Horrrrrn!! Yeah Corran's here were saved, yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah. All cheer leaders come out onto the field for smooches :D Yep Corran's going to do something big in one of the books comeing up, I can just feel it. Hey maybe I can use the Force :confused: j/k

3. LawgSkrak

LawgSkrak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 23, 1999
    to the top

4. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    In light of the recent spoilers, I thought I'd have this baby brought to the top.

5. Supreme_Overlord

Supreme_Overlord Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 3, 2001
    there's gonna be an arm in the middle of little Ben's forhead :)
    That would be kinda funny, he could weild three lightsabers. Yeah, I wish I had three arms.

On a more serious note, I think Corran will buy the farm.

6. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    Maybe this should be at the top? I know there is discussion in the Rebirth Reveiw thread by Jedi Bib. But this is the "Official Rebirth discussion thread!" And if people want to just post in one of the threads, fine, we'll just let the other one sink or something.

Anyway, the book offically comes out today, so here's the thread. Take it or leave it.

7. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    I'm about halfway through it, and while I really like the plotlines and stuff so far, it suffers the same problem that both Ruin and Jedi Eclipse suffered before it: Too much going on in too few pages. More when I'm done the book.

8. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    I won't be getting the book until tonight. I enjoyed Jedi Eclipse, it flowed very well for me. So, I don't think I'll be bothered with that.

9. -Vergere-

-Vergere- Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2001
    WARNING: SPOILERS AHEAD.

Interesting. Well I found a few things quite interesting about this book, which I want to point out:

1.) The "legend of the Jedi" grows after Anakin's adventure on Yavin IV, as the Shamed Ones ones consider the jeedai their saviors, that their slavery maybe not deemed by the Gods and that the higher castes really have it all wrong. Maybe the Shamed Ones revolting is a subject of a future book?

2.) Keyes weaves an interesting storyline for the Nen Yim character. Eventually, Supreme Overlord Shimmra makes an appearance via Nen Yim and makes Nen Yim a master heretic shaper. Not sure we'll see alot of Nen Yim in future books though (it would be cool to).

3.) Somehow, someway, Luke, Mara, and their child Ben defeat the disease during Ben's birth. So I guess we don't have to worry about Mara's disease anymore right?

4.) Deceived by Kyp Durron, Rogue Squadron and Admiral Kre'fey and the Ralroost make a reappearance to take out what they believe to be a Vong superweapon near the Sernipidal system when in fact it is a worldship.

5.) Unknowingly, this helps the Vong attack on Yag'Dhul, as the Vong retreat and Anakin, Corran and Tahiri survive their ordeal as do many Givin trying to battle the Vong around Yag'Dhul. So Kyp Durron's actions not only took out the worldship, but also halped save lives. Are we seeing overwhelming support for aggressive, almost dark-side-ish actions in this book and will it be a trend for the rest of the series in general? Of course Kyp wouldnt have been able to do it without Jaina convincing Wedge Antilles and Gavin Darklighter and Jaina was originally sent to Kyp by... Luke. Hrmmm..... (I'm reading too much into it, I know)

6.) Kam and Tionne Solusar have found a remote planet for the Jedi to work from and take refuge on. Sounds like something that will be explored in great detail in SBS.

7.) Vergere, of course, makes a reappearance to help Tsavong Lah capture Jacen Solo, but nothing comes of it as Jacen and Han and Leia on the Princess of Blood narrowly escapes. Vergere may have a more important purpose in later books, but we know that its in the Vong's hands and trying to help them.

10. Rebecca191

Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 2, 1999
    Yep, the hidden Jedi base is a plot in SbS, as you will know if you read the plot description.

11. Drakh_BountyHunter

Drakh_BountyHunter Jedi Youngling

Jun 22, 1999
    I picked it up yesterday (advantages abound in working for Borders) and just finished it a few minutes ago. Here's my comments, spoiler-laden, so scroll quick if you don't wanna know certain stuff not mentioned yet.

Anakin & Tahiri - At least they didn't drag it our over a few more novels. We knew they were hooking them up, they knew we knew, I appreciate the expediency.

Jaina - Damn, man! I wouldn't want to be attracted to this chick. Kyp, Jagged, Kyp, pick one and go with it.

Kyp - How much you want to bet he and Jaina do the "Do you still want to be my apprentice, Jaina?" bit in "Star By Star"?

Corran - It's about damn time! I missed that guy. I just hope now he stays on the LucasBooks' front burner for the duration. I especially like the whole Eriadu aftermath thing he did, barely holding back the Corellian obscenities and such. The "dark side/ my kids as teenagers" line was classic.

Luke & Mara - Well, Fey'lya might have done some good now. With that arrest warrant, they're finally kicked out onto the front lines, and that "great river" bit is a good sign that Luke's gonna get more involved in the goings-on.

What I don't understand is the whole naming thing. From the get-go, Luke was fairly against naming the kid "Ben" because of the perceived pressure it might put on him. When it's all said and done, Mara gives birth to Ben Skywalker. Anyone else see the logic go flying out the window?

I also damn well expect the whole Force-melding-Mara's-disease-abruptly-gone thing to be explained in "SbS".

Han & Leia & Jacen - It's nice to see the breach plainly patched up between them, that Han's starting to realize that he always had another partner.

As in regards to Jacen, thank God Han finally did some bloody parenting with that kid. I mean, good Lord, him still being preoccupied with being the entire galaxy's balancepoint? Pull over to the side of the Pretentiousness Turnpike, pal, and let me smack the living hell out of you.

It's almost like (intended or no) the relationship between Jacen and his parents is a microcosm of the typical "I spent no time with my kid, but I want to make it up, boo-hoo-hoo" parenting that is pervading society as is. If that's the case, then I applaud the message sent when Han simply said "Sit down, shut up, and do as you're told." But moving away from societal commentary...

The Vong - Shimrra's debut, need I say more?

Alright, now my predictions for "Star By Star":

1) We see a MAJOR breakthrough in finding out the history and development of the Vong.

2) Unless they decide to cook up a new world further within the Deep Core, the Jedi safe world will be either Corulag or some place on the opposite end of the galaxy from the Tingel Arm. Something near the Corellian Trade Spine.

3) We finally see a military coup of the Republic take place, or see Kre'fey make good on his threat of withdrawal into the Unknown Regions.

But above all, the Republic (be it the intact government or a military splinter faction) take a system back from the Vong.

Well, that's my views. Trash them, praise them, counter them, do whatever.

~Mike

12. JonCrites

JonCrites Jedi Master star 1

Jun 18, 2001
    does anyone know if there will be a major character death in SbS? I heard there was. I am guessing it will be .... Luke.

13. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    no way, its *not* going to be Luke! I think that would be a major blow to the star wars expanded universe line. Sales would fall, books would collect dust on shelves, bookstores would be forced to sell all the star wars books for $1.......

If anyone, kill Lando or Kyp, please! Lando is worthless! (He sent Chewie to his death!)

By the way, I got Rebirth and I am going to sit down and read it tonight, even though I've had it since 10:30 this morning.

14. Drakh_BountyHunter

Drakh_BountyHunter Jedi Youngling

Jun 22, 1999
    I agree with offing Lando. Hell, he was supposed to kick in ROTJ.

*still says that Salvatore could have achieved the same results by killing Lando instead of Chewie...

15. Lott_Dod

Lott_Dod Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 19, 2001
  16. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Well, I was quite pleased with this book, although the ending did seem a little bit rushed and abrupt.

17. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    I'm getting the book tomorrow. I can't wait!

18. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Are the Chiss mentioned or in the book at all?

19. Bogga

Bogga Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    The Chiss aren't mentioned at all.

20. jedi-jeff

jedi-jeff Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 2, 2000
    Several interesting new insights about the Vong were given in Rebirth:

1. The trip from their home galaxy took 1,000 years.

2. Most, if not all, of their worldships are unable to travel faster than light. Only the warships are capable of travelling faster than light.

3. Many of the worldships are failing to a point beyond any possibility of repair. In a way their journey is not unlike that of the Donner party which was so close, yet so far, from their final destination.

21. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    I got the impression that the Worldships used to be able to go FTL, but they're old, decrepit, and dying and just aren't up to the strain. They technically could, but it would pretty much tear them apart.

22. Darth_Dolza

Darth_Dolza Jedi Master star 5

Sep 19, 2000
    I must say that I enjoyed Rebirth quite a bit. I was, however, a bit less than satisfied at the brevity of the resolution. The book was simply too short; it got in a lot of stuff, but the ending kinda left me wanting a bit more than I got.

23. Rebecca191

Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 2, 1999
    Yes, that's what I got too, about the worldships.

24. Darth_Dolza

Darth_Dolza Jedi Master star 5

Sep 19, 2000
    Yup, I agree. After all, the sense we get from the ship Nen Yim was on was that these ships were in a really advanced stage of decay.

25. jedimaster203

jedimaster203 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 19, 1999
    I GOT REBIRTH!!!!!!!
    I got it right as they were shelving it this morning. I have read to chapter 4 so far. Man, I need to read more Keyes books, he is a good author.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.