The Official Rebirth discussion thread! (Spoilers allowed from Conq and Reb)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Mastadge, Apr 2, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LawgSkrak Force Ghost

star 4
    So he's in it for , what, a page or two?
  2. Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
  3. I-poodoo Jedi Master

star 4
    Is anyone else creeped out by what Kyp did? I mean I know that since Darktide we've been hearing that he's been getting too aggressive and all but it wasn't until now that we saw just how over the line Luke's drawn he's gone.

He's on his way to becoming Darth Durron now.

As for the odds of Teenage love becoming married love for Anikan and Tahiri. I think it'd be best if we wait and see. And Adi-Galia 9, seemed to me when you were practically reciting how small the odds of them getting married you forgot that Anikan is part Correllian, and how much like his father he is.
    For Correllians short odds are just speedbumps to their destination.

It's official Since Conquest and REbirth Keyes has become one of my fave SW writers.

Things i liked in the book were Wedge's first reaction To Kyp (Considering their history), Corran lecturing Anikan about being stupidly brash...this from the guy that went alone to tell the dark spirit of a sithlord that he's been evicted (Eye-row-knee), and seeing more of Kyp (not just hearing how he crossed the line), oh and seeing the cocky arrogant Han's return.

But the thing I like the best in Rebirth was one line said during when Corran was lecturing Anikan.

Anikan says: "I do respect you but you flew with Rogue Squadron weren't you ever the least bit reckless?"

Corran: "Yes, and maybe one day, hopefully, you'll understand what it cost me."

When I read that I thought of the death of Elegos, Corran's failure to save Ithor, and the loss of his good name, and I said aloud ooh Mr. Keyes you are a good SW writer. Not very often can one writer take what another put in and place everything about that character into one line. Greg Keyes is a superb SW writer.
  4. MAD6121 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Well I finished the book late last night-early morning and I think its one of the best books in the NJO. I really enjoyed it, I can't believe I read it that quickly.

Anywaym Rebirth had everything you could ask from IMO, from great action sequences (in space and on the ground), great characters, humor and a great ending to the book. I really liked the interaction between Han and Leia, it was good to see them together and back to their old selves. I found Tahiri to be very annoying in the beginning of the book but I pushed it outta my mind. Also I was glad to see the return of Corran, one of my favorite characters, it was different seeing him back after being gone all that time. He seemed almost different. I guess I'm used to how MAS writes Corran. I'm glad Jacen is getting his act together, there wasn't much complaining from him which was a welcome change of pace. It also had numerous funny lines. I liked how Lando and Karrde noted to Han that Jacen is worth more than he was. I really like the way the NJO is shaping up. I think there was more I wanted to say but I forgot.

Overall this is one of my favorite SW books, it brought me back in the NJO, not that I didn't like it, I loved Conquest and the books before it, I was just losing interest in Star Wars books for some reason.
  5. Darth Cerberus Jedi Master

star 3
    Just finished reading Rebirth and there's one thing that is really irritating me that noone has mentioned. In chapter 7, Jacen leaves 3PO to move the concussion missles out against the Vong while he romps off to do some welding! Leaving aside the point that this is merely a cheap ploy on Keyes' part to have 3PO bumble his way into saving the day, why is Jacen leaving this dangerous and important task to a protocol droid? R2D2 would have been perfectly capable of doing the welding, and Han doesn't seem to have been doing anything particularly important at the time.

There was plenty of time to spare as Jacen trotted up to the cockpit to chat to Leia, before going to do the welding. It took 3PO aboout 15 minutes to move 3 missiles and Jacen complains that he isn't going fast enough. Jacen's excuse for dumping this task on 3PO is that the vacum won't affect him, but all he had to do was don a vac suit so he could assist.

In BP (I think), Jacen refused to kill a deadly Vong creature because it was unfair to end it's life unnecessarily, and yet here he is dumping the most dangerous job on one of his oldest friends, who almost dies in the process, when he could have done it himself a lot faster - even without using the Force which given the seriousness of the situation, IMHO, would have been quite acceptable.

Apparently this reprehensible individual has graduated from utter disregard for people's lives when his conscience is bothered, to dumping the most dangerous jobs on those unsuitable to most effectively accomplish them so dear little Jacen won't be unnecessarily endangered.

BTW, can you tell I don't like Jacen? [face_devil] ;)

6. JediJSolo Force Ghost

star 4
    Yes, I think we all noticed that you don?t like Jacen. I just so happen to like Jacen a lot. However, I?m not going to try to change your mind on the subject. You have a right to your opinion, and we all have a character in the EU that we don?t like very much (my personal least favorite is Corran).

I would also like to say that I thought that Greg Keyes did a wonderful job with all of the characters, with the exception of Jacen. There was one scene in the book where Jacen is being bear hugged by some kind of very strong alien and thinks about killing the creature with the Force to save himself. He decides that that would be using the Force for attack and that he would rather die than use the Force in that way. What Greg fails to bring up is the fact that that is not the only way to get out of the situation. Jacen could have used the Force to pull the creature?s arms away from himself. By doing this, he could have escaped the creature?s death grip, and not have used the Force for attack. IMO, Jacen would have seen this option long before he considered killing the creature with the Force.

Jacen is idealistic, opinionated, contemplative, and open-minded. Greg portrayed him as being all of these except open-minded. Jacen is open to all options. He will consider all options presented to him before making his decision. That is how I see him at least. Jacen seems to be one of the hardest characters to write about because the authors don?t understand his point of view to begin with. The only two authors who have gotten it, almost completely, right, to my mind, have been RAS and KT.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.