main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Official Republic Commando: Hard Contact Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The2ndQuest , Oct 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KarenTraviss

KarenTraviss Author: -Hard Contact -Triple Zero -LOTF star 4 VIP

Mar 27, 2004
    << Is Boba still going to be in action during the Legacy era though? Considering it's 37 ABY, Boba would be sixty-nine >>

Trust me. See other posts about the scarily fit guys at my gym of that age group, and they're in the real world.

In the GFFA, this guy can still cut it. But I'll handle it with my usual pragmatic realism. If he punches someone's lights out, then he'll really feel it the next day... :D

2. KarenTraviss

Mar 27, 2004
    << I waited so long to read this book since I figured it might be a weak read as it's advertised as a tie-in to the video game. But damn!! >>

Yeah, I understand people's wariness a bit better now. One big reason HC is selling so well (fifth reprinting) is that it sold very much by word of mouth - which is due in large part to folks like you here talking it up. Thank you.

One thing I want to say as loudly as possible...

Whether it's my own City of Pearl books, or Star Wars, I put exactly the same emotional and professional effort into both, because (a) it's my name on the cover, and (b) the reader has a right to expect nothing less.

3. QuentinGeorge

QuentinGeorge Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 12, 2003
    Age hardly matters in the SW world. Humans strong in the force live for 200+ years for example. 70-80's are like being in the 40's, even for non force sensitives (those in shape of course).

Incorrect. And if any of the people would actually read the part of the Revised corerulebook which they think points in the direction, they may find that it doesn't say that at all.

Trust me. See other posts about the scarily fit guys at my gym of that age group, and they're in the real world.

In the GFFA, this guy can still cut it. But I'll handle it with my usual pragmatic realism. If he punches someone's lights out, then he'll really feel it the next day... grin

Ah, that's fine then. As long as its a realistic portrayal, I don't mind.

4. LijoT

LijoT Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 25, 2005
    Incorrect. And if any of the people would actually read the part of the Revised corerulebook which they think points in the direction, they may find that it doesn't say that at all.

It is correct actually. It is in the revised core rulebook where it specifies how humans strong in the force live upto twice or more than that of a normal human lifespan, and the examples that we have exceed 250 + (-Vima and Mother Rell (300+)).

And for the next thing - how age hardly matters. At C3 it was said that the 70s are like the new 40's (not specific to force sensitives). The only difference is that force strong individuals live a lot longer.

That means people like Han and Boba, though not force sensitives and are over 60, are still indeed quite young in terms of their capabilities, which has no issue with being realistic enough in Star Wars.

5. KarenTraviss

Mar 27, 2004
    << Ah, that's fine then. As long as its a realistic portrayal, I don't mind. >>

You know me. :D The fact that Boba has to pay a higher price to stay fit and dangerous is actually a very powerful device for me to use. Adds a lot of texture.

You can stay fit for a long, long time, but the thing you really notice is that you take longer to heal and you have to take a lot better care of yourself and your nutrition. It isn't the unthinking bounce-back of your teens and twenties.

Ahem...and while I'm not anywhere near Mr Fett's age (yeah? what?) I know how it feels. My knee and my rotator cuff muscles are shot to hell. But I've actually got lower blood pressure, better lung function and can lift heavier than I could at 25. The real downside is that one day, it's all going to collapse catastrophically...

6. LijoT

LijoT Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 25, 2005
    Ahem...and while I'm not anywhere near Mr Fett's age (yeah? what?) I know how it feels. My knee and my rotator cuff muscles are shot to hell. But I've actually got lower blood pressure, better lung function and can lift heavier than I could at 25. The real downside is that one day, it's all going to collapse catastrophically...

We all will have to face that one day, so I believe we shouldn't worry about that time of our life :D

7. Kreuzader

Kreuzader Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    Did anyone from LFL let you know about the letter column in the new issue of Insider?

The overall title for this issue's column is "Traviss Knows Her Stuff", and features a lengthy letter from an Iraq War vet about his enjoyment of RC:HC and the short story last issue. The response to the letter indicates they were going to pass it on to you, so I'm guessing you have seen it already. :)

8. KarenTraviss

Mar 27, 2004
    << Did anyone from LFL let you know about the letter column in the new issue of Insider? >>

Er...no. This is the first I've heard. Thanks for letting me know.

<< The overall title for this issue's column is "Traviss Knows Her Stuff", and features a lengthy letter from an Iraq War vet about his enjoyment of RC:HC and the short story last issue. The response to the letter indicates they were going to pass it on to you, so I'm guessing you have seen it already. >>

I haven't even had a copy of Insider #81 yet :( so I'll kick Brett about this...

It's an honour to get a compliment like that from a soldier. You know that I value every reader's opinion, but in the end, what those guys think of me matters at a very personal level indeed. I owe it to them to tell it like it is: and if it's brightened their day, then I've paid back a bit of karma for all the things the military has done for me.

Is anyone up for scanning a copy and e-mailing it to me, please? Or I won't see this for weeks.

9. KarenTraviss

Mar 27, 2004
    Belay the previous request, folks: I now have the Insider artcle by e-mail.

I'm very, very honoured, and I will write to the gentleman personally when I receive his details.

Actually, things like this make me feel rather bad. As I've said before here, I am not GI Jane, I have never been in the line of fire (not as a reservist, although many have wished to kill me in my civilian work...) and the most danger I have ever faced is two Royal Navy meat pies in one meal.

Everything I know about the armed forces has been gleaned through a very minor reserve role, a wonderful and rewarding few years as a defence correspondent, growing up in a naval city with family who served in the Army, and having the privilege of talking to many servicemen and women.

(Oh, and the Insider response contains an error - as you can probably guess, a defence correspondent does not serve with the military. We're civvies. We work for the news media. But there are those who would say that in my case, I was so on-side that they couldn't tell. :D)

Unfortunately, my plan to rebalance my karma by rejoining the UK military reserve (the RAF this time in a front line embed-minder role) is looking increasingly unlikely; I now have such a heavy book commitment with two publishers - at least three books a year, possibly four - that I would be dangerously useless. I'll have to find another way of supporting our people in uniform.

If anyone can think of a good way to do that, I'm all ears.

10. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Just thought I'd say RC:HC has just won the prequel book version of Survivor in the EUC forum :)
    http://boards.theforce.net/EU_Community/b10194/19126261/p1

11. KarenTraviss

Mar 27, 2004
    Thank you!

That's a nice compliment from you folks. Glad people voted. I'll put the Verp down now...

:D

12. Corran_Fett

Corran_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 17, 2005
    @Karen
    I didn't see this thread, so I didn't vote, but I guess I would have voted for HC. btw, I'm just nearly finished reading it second time, and again, it's great :D

Another question, Karen: How far are you with the "Mandalorian dictionary"? I'm really lookin forward to it :D

13. KarenTraviss

Mar 27, 2004
    Thank you!

Powering ahead with the language. Really into it now. You know you've gone too far in fangirldom when you catch yourself using the words. My buddy phoned me from Canada to talk about RotS and was subjected to what I can only describe as a bizarre conversation. :D

14. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    A lot of Star Wars authors have military backgrounds. Kevin Anderson, the Jedi Trial duo, Michael McDowell and others. The men, at least, also tend to look a bit alike to each other too. Many are also correspondants or travelling journalists too.

Hmmm . . .

15. KarenTraviss

Mar 27, 2004
    << A lot of Star Wars authors have military backgrounds. Kevin Anderson, the Jedi Trial duo, Michael McDowell and others. The men, at least, also tend to look a bit alike to each other too. Many are also correspondants or travelling journalists too. >>

There's a common mindset. And with cops, too.

I know you're a gentleman and won't take the analogy any further... :)

16. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002
    Now that I think about it, SW authors and Texas are becoming synonymous as well. I can make 26 words out of export, but this is even beyond me. [face_batting]

17. KarenTraviss

Mar 27, 2004
    Well, I can confidently say that there's no mysterious link to England. I'm all on my own out here. :(

18. CieSharp

CieSharp Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2002
    Is "Hard Contact" available as an audiobook, and if not, any plans to make it so?

19. KarenTraviss

Mar 27, 2004
    No, it's not. I have no idea if they plan to make it into one. RC:HC was never part of the main Del Rey SW contract (it was conceived as a one-off for the game launch) so I imagine it doesn't go through the usual incarnations of a regular paperback.

20. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002
    It's a good thing the cover art was good. These things are ultraviolet to buyers. I feared they'd make the usual game-book covers, from screen shots.

21. KarenTraviss

Mar 27, 2004
    I have to say that I lead a charmed life with art, both for book covers and in magazines. I have never had anything less than stunning art. I've bought quite a lot of it afterwards too. (Just buying the Skirata/ Niner art from Insider as a matter of fact: fabulous.)

Someone Up There really likes me.

Things are going pretty damn well at the moment...

22. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002
    City of Pearl's wasn't so bad, and lets you imagine Frankland's face. Did you have any input in your books' cover, Karen? Many usually don't.

23. KarenTraviss

Mar 27, 2004
    With HarperCollins? Oh yes. Want me to explain what happens from start to finish? This isn't a typical thing: I was amazed when they first asked me to come up with cover ideas. Other publishers and authors will have different experiences.

Before CoP came out, they asked me for my thoughts on artists I liked.

Then they asked for cover ideas before the cover conference. What I did, and what I've done for every cover since, is this:

1. Go to my focus group of first readers and ask them to list the images that stuck with them most.

2. Rank those preferences in order and submit them to Harper.

3. Harper discusses and comes back to me with the chosen one, which so far has always been the readers' group choice.

4. Harper asks me for list of stuff the artist must get right...weapons, appearance, colours etc.(I had a specific colour request for TWB based on what else would be around me on the shelves, and they did it, bless them.)

5. I see charcoals or colour sketches and comment, and provide visual references for the artist if needed. (Like RM uniforms, for example.)

6. Final art comes back. Spiffy!

You can tell I'm Marketing Woman and I understand packaging....

Artists can always get a "picture" direct from my brain and I have no idea how they do it. When I ask them, they have no idea how I can describe something and they can then just see the image. So there's some weird cognition thing going down on both sides of the fence, and it's thrilling.

A caveat: this isn't compliance with an author. If I'd said the wrong thing, they wouldn't have gone with it. It just so happens that I worked in a similar field and so I know what's required and how to commission artwork.

24. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Sure. Sounds interesting.

25. KarenTraviss

Mar 27, 2004
    Hey, you're back, DB! Haven't seen you around for a while.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.