main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Official Republic Commando: Hard Contact Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The2ndQuest , Oct 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KarenTraviss

KarenTraviss Author: -Hard Contact -Triple Zero -LOTF star 4 VIP

Mar 27, 2004
    For what it's worth...Hard Contact is now going into its sixth reprint.

I declare myself thoroughly chuffed.

(And...whoever did the tech to get a formatting bar on these boards now has my undying admiration. Thanks, mate!)

2. rogue_wookiee

rogue_wookiee Jedi Youngling star 6

Apr 24, 2004
    You know you've gone too far in fangirldom when you catch yourself using the words.

Calling people di'kuts. [face_whistling]

3. KarenTraviss

Mar 27, 2004

The really bad thing is when you use words that nobody else has a hope of knowing, because they're still in your dictionary document, and only Ryan Kaufman has seen it so far...

Grammar point: the plural is di'kute. Pay attention, that man! ;)

4. Tam_Elgrin

Tam_Elgrin Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2004
    I just got my copy of Star Wars Magazine (God bless the Royal Mail) and what do I find inside but a lovely-lovely short story, namely Omega Squad: Targets.

:)

(and 12 wasted pages of bloody pull out posters, but we can't have everything...)

5. KarenTraviss

Mar 27, 2004
    Now you'll meet my lovely immaculately-skirted but loony buddy Captain Ordo.

Gotta love those Null class ARCs. My special boys!

6. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    yah.. "special" in that short-school-bus kind of way.. ;)

heh.. finished CoP last night

7. KarenTraviss

Mar 27, 2004
    This is why it's so interesting to let them play with serious weapons!

8. Corran_Fett

Corran_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 17, 2005
    KarenTraviss posted on 6/8/05 12:57am
    The [i]really[/i] bad thing is when you use words that nobody else has a hope of knowing, because they're still in your dictionary document, and only [color=red]Ryan Kaufman [/color] has seen it so far...
    [hr][/blockquote]

Speaking of dictionary, how does the work on the Mando dictionary go on?

EDIT:
    not "who" but "how" [face_blush]

9. KarenTraviss

Mar 27, 2004
    Er...can you rephrase that? I don't understand what you're asking.

10. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    I think he's asking how the Mandalorian dictionary's coming along.

11. Corran_Fett

Jan 17, 2005
    Ya, that's what I wanted to say - 'scuse my english, I'm German [face_blush]

12. KarenTraviss

Mar 27, 2004
    Ah, I wasn't sure if you were asking whose canon I was basing it on! Because before RepCom, there appears to be nothing: I spoke to the guy who did KOTOR II about it.

It's progressing well. In fact, it's up to ten pages of A4 now. I add some every day.

13. Roobione

Roobione Jedi Youngling

Jun 6, 2005
    I am new here, I found this thread because I wanna get the book, dont own XBOX. This cool that Author pops in and talks. Cant wait for read. BTW Where can I get the scoop on the ARCS, and Clones etc??????????????

Roobione

14. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    well roobione, we got a whole thread dedicated to the elite troops of the republic:

http://boards.theforce.net/Literature/b10003/13854243/p95/?2355
    The Official Alpha, the ARC Troopers and the Commandos Thread

15. Ryan_Kaufman

Ryan_Kaufman DHC Author & Former LucasArts Content Supervisor star 3 VIP

Mar 15, 2005
    All I can say about anything is... I've seen some stuff and.... WOW.

Y'all are going to get knocked on your kamas when you see what Karen's doing with the Mando material.

:)

Oh and CONGRATS KAREN and THANK YOU SW FANS for picking up a book that many of you thought was just a "video game tie-in." Karen really knocked this one out of the park, and your enthusiasm has kept the ball going and going... and going...

16. KarenTraviss

Mar 27, 2004
    Yo, my man! Rawk! Thanks ER. (Vor'e!)

Funny, though: all that vigorous debate over a bit of armour colour over on the ARC thread, and yet the Null ARCs have consistently not raised a single question...

I'll just sit here and smirk, then. [face_mischief]

17. Qu_Klaani

Qu_Klaani Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2004
    Im just wondering, after all the annoyance of being made to have white armour on the commandos because Stormtroopers were traditionally white, how infuriating was it to see these guys?

[image=http://www.starwars.com/databank/species/wookiee/img/movie2_bg.jpg]

18. Durnar

Durnar Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 10, 2004
    Sorry if this seems a dumb question, but what are Null ARC's? Is it a different name for the COmmandos, or is it some group that Ive never heard of.

19. KarenTraviss

Mar 27, 2004
    Not at all. Firstly, it's a joke: I wasn't annoyed in the first place, and it made me find some interesting fixes that improved the plot anyway.

Omega should have had camo. Unless you're fighting droids - who don't see in the human spectrum - you're horribly visible in silver/grey or white. But Omega's reaction, which was to smear themselves with mud, was enjoyable to write. It helped me capture the way soldiers have to cope with clueless defence procurement decisions in the real world.

The book was written long before the continuity was changed to allow camo, colours and even battle markings. The matte black stealth armour that Darman referred to wanting in the book is actually now in the game.

If Omega ever appear in fiction again, they will revert to their grey armor. It'll be a matter of pride for them. Niner will have made them remove the coloured paint from their Targets mission: plain grey is their trademark.

20. KarenTraviss

Mar 27, 2004
    I introduced them in the Insider short story, Targets.They're true ARCs, and there are a handful of them, but they're very different and they're used as military intelligence. Eccentric and dangerous: more so even than the A-designation ARCs.

Captain Ordo is N-11.

21. Durnar

Apr 10, 2004
    Ah I see. Havent read Targets as Im not sure how to get it in England (though I assume you would know).
    I really want to play RepCOm again now, but I cant cos I rented it before. :(

22. KarenTraviss

Mar 27, 2004
    Targets will be in the UK edition of the Star Wars mag later this year, or so the editor told me at CIII.

23. Durnar

Apr 10, 2004
    Ill look out for it, though ive given up on that magazine recently. Just not worth the money every month. Especially given that it costs almost as much as a novel.

24. Corran_Fett

Jan 17, 2005
    KarenTraviss posted on 6/8/05 10:24am

It's progressing well. In fact, it's up to ten pages of A4 now. I add some every day.
    [hr][/blockquote]

Nice to hear that. I (and certainly all Mando fans) am really lookin' forward to this. Don't hurry with it, take you time, and let it become the great WOW we've always been waiting for :D

25. Tam_Elgrin

Tam_Elgrin Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2004
    >>"Targets will be in the UK edition of the Star Wars mag later this year, or so the editor told me at CIII."<<

Yeah, like i mentioned above, it's in the current issue. With Obi-Wan Kenobi and some ARC-170s on the front.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.