main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Official Republic Commando: Order 66 Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Sep 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Nice article about Wedge you got there. Shame it doesn't say anything about numbers at the battle of yavin. :p

2. Tricky

Tricky Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    I live in SW Atlanta, now. It's a nice place. Ft. Bragg is cool too. Spent my last year in the Army there, as a motorpool generator mechanic.

Yeah the military. People don't understand it, but Traviss really does know soldiers & she writes from the heart. We have an overall general contempt for our officers, but we respect a leader that can get the job done. Some people think Traviss goes too far with her Generals/Jedi hating & I agree with 'em, but us grunts know that hating the higher-ups was just another part of being a soldier.

3. Admiral_Stone

Admiral_Stone Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 6, 2008
    Each word links to a Yavin survivor, illustrating my point about there being more than 3 survivors.

4. Xicer

Xicer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 2008
    Ehh, I'd take those Rebel Assault survivors with a grain of salt. Much of that game was re-do of the OT with new characters and presented a ton of continuity problems (the Rebels being on Hoth before ESB) and Leland even said Rookiee One's trench run was non-canonical.

5. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Likewise. Until they edit ANH to show more than 3 survivors, I'm not buying a video game's take on it.

And even with six out of thirty-two pilots surviving, that's nothing to cheer about when you had three to one odds in supposedly superior craft. Eleven pilots in unshielded, lightly armed and armored starfighters, and outnumbered by nearly three to one, managed to kill twenty-six out of thirty-two pilots on the other side. That's nothing to sneer at.

6. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    The only place it's said to be "Hoth" is on the packaging for the game; it's never said in-game, just called "Gamma Base" and seemed to be in the same sector as Tatooine.
    Much like with X-Wing, all the game except the Death Star's destruction is canon - especially since Rebel Assault II definitely is. (And in X-wing's case, the Official Guide retconned that you're actually playing Luke instead of Keyan for the trench run mission only).
    Wookiepedia even mentions the parts of the Battle of Yavin from X-Wing involving other ships (including a Nebulon-B frigate and other starfighters) in the same article, contradicting itself, as well as getting the non-presence of the A-wing wrong.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.