main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The *Official* Ryloth Trilogy Trailer Discussion Thread (OS Link Inside!)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by cwquest, Feb 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VladTheImpaler

VladTheImpaler Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 13, 2000
    That was actually really boring. I almost fell asleep during that trailer.

2. VladTheImpaler

Apr 13, 2000
    Ok, I'm just kidding. That was seriously the most amazing trailer I've seen in ages. This trilogy is going to rock.

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    While LFA is makingthe episodes one way or the other, whether all 5 seasons will air on CTN is up to CTN year-to-year.

4. Mange

Mange Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2003
    Looked absolutely fantastic! [face_dancing]

5. ObiWanJedi93

ObiWanJedi93 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 29, 2008
    I think this trilogy is going to be KICK @$$!

6. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    I kind of find it ridiculous that I have to be pandered to with OT music in a trailer. "Hey look kids, it's Star Wars! No, really!"

That ESB music cue usage was about as fresh as the Aliens score that was used in every action trailer for decades.

Much like with the dialogue references on the show, there's a right way to do it and a wrong way to do it.

7. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    Well, if TCW had any exciting action music of its own to put in the trailer that would've been great, but...

The REALLY ridiculous thing is that the prequels and TCW have been so lacking in memorable music of their own that they've basically HAD to crib from the OT to give trailers the 'Star Wars' feel...

8. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Okay, let's calm down about the score.

I absolutely love the Force Theme and I'm glad Wiliams used it so much in the PT. I think some of the pieces he wrote for the PT are amongst his best.

I certainly agree that Kiner's score hasn't been incredibly memorable, but I think it's mostly fit the bill.

But let's not bog this down into a discussion of the relative merits of the OT/PT/TCW score.

If you want to debate the over-use of pieces for the trailer, that's fine.

9. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    I thought your standing argument was that you wanted more OT "leitmotif" blah blah music in the prequels?

If that trailer rock music were for any other action cartoon without the preconcieved notions of Star Wars, it would have been more than fine. At least it wouldn't have been as ham-fisted as a canned John Williams cue... yet again.

Hearing that cue was like watching one of the dozens of featurettes on the several Star Wars DVD releases, where the once classic music has become white noise. Is this a trailer or a DVD menu?

10. VladTheImpaler

Apr 13, 2000
    I think the prequel scores are as good as anything that John Williams has done. No joke.

I also think Kiner is doing a pretty good job with the in-show music, but it's true that none of his themes are as pulse-poundingly blood-pumpingly trailer-rific as the movie scores. I understand why they would use the movie soundtrack for the trailers...although once again, it makes me question why Kiner doesn't use more of JW's themes in his scores. It's what the producers want, which is why they are using JW music in all of the major trailers. It's what the fans want. Just do it already! At least we had the speeder chase music from AOTC in last week's episode...

As for overused music, I honestly think that the only overplayed Star Wars music is the Imperial march and Duel of the Fates. I didn't have any problem with the music in this trailer.

11. koonfan

koonfan Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 15, 2008
    Quoted for agreement. Revenge of the Sith had a very stirring score, if you ask me. The one that plays when Anakin and Obi-Wan finally duel is one of my personal favourites of cinematic music of all time, actually.

I think it's the trumpets that make the score. You think Kiner should start using trumpets the way JW does? By now you can tell I'm certainly no film student or even musically oriented, and thus can make such an ignorant statement. :D

12. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Dec 17, 2000
    Answered in the proper thread.

It would still have been cheesy, but perhaps somewhat more tolerable. Since when are we not supposed to hold Star Wars to a higher standard?

It's a commercial. Canned cues are the name of the game. If the cue were tracked verbatim into the actual episode, yes, that would be lame. But trailers are supposed to get you excited for the real thing, not necessarily be works of art themselves. And the reason this particular cue is reused over and over is because it's one of the best pieces of action music composed for film ever.

I guess your watching-featurettes:watching-the-actual-movie ratio is a lot higher than mine, because that cue takes ME right back to the Asteroid Field.

13. ArrogantJedi

ArrogantJedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 11, 2008
    One thing I also like about this trilogy is that it looks like it's going the route of the nice battle in space to epic land battle. I like the progression and the fact that it seems the battle in space will continue alongside the battle on land. So you will possibly have Anakin/Ahsoka in space and Obi-Wan Kenobi/Mace Windu on land. I also like that with the star wars movies, typically there is the much eagerly awaited final duel. Typically, in the movies you know who it will be between, but the great thing about the clone wars, you don't, it could be anyone.

P.S. Thanks for censoring my earlier post Garth, I still have a habit of forgetting to use that feature. I really hope that what I saw was correct - i've seen lots of those trailers on youtube and they splice lots of things so you see flashes here and there, so I could be wrong. It really would be a great way to finish Season 1 if that did happen though.

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Wait...LawJedi, are you arguing that a SW trailer shouldn't use SW music? Or is it just the particular cue?

I can't say it bothers me- it had me humming the Asteroid Field music all night at work :)

15. Ashoka

Ashoka Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 20, 2008
    What you said there was... Interesting.

As far as music go, how do you define Iconic? You're not going to see any impact from any music today compared to the 1977 era. Or do you mean "Hit me baby one more time" where everyone knows it?

You might not find it great, but to see many kids with the Opening Theme of The Clone Wars on their iPods, and humming the tune on the bus is a very good indication that it's iconic for many kids. Most kids will only hum, sing the songs that are Hot. And to have them humming the Opening Tune is amazing.

Of course, I like the OT themes as well, seeing them used is great. But to say the Clone Wars themes aren't iconic because you don't like it - is an understatement.

When you watched SW : OT. You were possibly a kid (like many others). The Music stayed in your head. The same thing is happening with kids! And that's all the success they really need. Because Star Wars was for Kids, is for Kids, will be for Kids.

16. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Dec 17, 2000
    Umm, the opening title of TCW is the same melody as the Main Title from 1977...

17. Ashoka

Jul 20, 2008
    Remixed, Listen carefully and you can hear a stronger bass. In addition, the First part which leads into it, is much stronger, 1) For attention grabbing 2) Kids dig Loud noise.

And I'm not just talking about "The Clone Wars" ( Big Logo) part. The whole track of that. You can hear that very prominently in the film. In the TV Episodes you're hearing about 45 out of 72 seconds of it. It has that quick skint of the original track, but once Kane starts going on with narration, it's different.

18. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Yes... same melody, but completely remixed with more bass, and more initial volume... and also with new drums added too (a "tribal" style rhythm played on tom drums, that has a kind of "war" feeling to it).

19. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    It also has a different pace, a bit more of a "broken" rythm.

20. Ulic QelDroma

Ulic QelDroma Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 10, 1999
    Exciting trailer!

Hands up if you thought those creatures looked like the Blurrg that were seen in the "Ewoks: The Battle for Endor" TV movie :)

21. StarWarrior77

StarWarrior77 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 30, 2008
    Wow. The Ryloth Trilogy looks awesome! Why didn't they make this into a movie?

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Because it's the end of the season, not the start ;)

23. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Dec 17, 2000
    It's still the same melody. And that's what people hum. None of the melody after the Main Title part of it is memorable or hummable at all.

I generally try to give people the benefit of the doubt when they make these sort of claims, but Ashoka, I simply flat-out do not believe your claim that there are 'many' kids humming the melody of the non-John Williams part of that track on school buses around the country. A few nerds here and there, maybe.

24. Bly

Bly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 28, 2005
    Honestly, I enjoyed the rock more. Asteroid Field just didn't seem to fit for me.

25. Ashoka

Jul 20, 2008
    Would you like me to record them humming it? As a voluntary teacher (unpaid), I teach because I enjoy it, and I love kids. I'm glad to see them humming, and enjoying the show. If you don't believe that, it doesn't really matter, less power to you. You have to understand that kids are loving the series, very much!

You may not find them Williams-Worthy (I don't either). But those kids do, and that's all that matters. Afterall, they are the target-audience, they're the ones munching up the toys, making it the #1 Toy-Line of the year!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.