main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The *Official* Ryloth Trilogy Trailer Discussion Thread (OS Link Inside!)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by cwquest, Feb 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. waheennay

waheennay Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2000
    People are actually arguing over JW music being used in a trailer for Star Wars. Wow.

2. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    Haha... yeah. The effect it had on me was:

YEAH, this is proper Star Wars music!

Nothing tops JW.

3. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    obviously you haven't been here long. [face_laugh]

4. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    As far as you being reminded of the Asteroid Field scene during the trailer... um, not a good thing!

5. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    My feels on the music are very complicated and confusing, so I try to avoid discussing it. 8-}

Mostly, I'm just sick of the assumption that I'm supposed to shift in my pants any time something from my childhood is referenced, and devalue anything that doesn't.

I actually would prefer if more of the JW's awesome themes were used in an appropriate way throughout the series. I think Kiner is very talented, but is not being directed to handle the score correctly. But again, even the best TV shows are not scored as meticulously as movies.

I love, love, LOVE hearing the reimagined Main theme every week. It tells me everything I need to know about the show, including that its different from what we're used to, and that its Saturday morning Star Wars.

6. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    How so? Jedi might not crave adventure and excitement, but that's exactly what Star Wars earned a reputation for delivering. And the Asteroid Field cue has got it in spades.

As I said, if there was existing music from the show itself that could convey the same level of excitement, they should use that. But there's not.

Stop acting like this is simply an issue of nostalgia.

7. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    Having read your posts throughout the CT and PT forums, I feel its fair to interpret that you bring nostalgia to the table. I apologize for the assumption, but again, posts don't exist in a vacuum. Your original (loaded) statement was "I wish the show music was like this." You're picking a 10 year old scab, dude. I'll be damned if I'm not going to wince in response.

Since you said that a Mace Windu/CW trailer took you "right back to the Asteroid Field" (your words), then it is a fair interpretation that you weren't thinking about the content of the trailer (which was pretty badass). You were thinking about the Millennium Falcon being chased by Tie fighters. Again, your words. This interpretation of the music is fine if you actually don't want to see the upcoming story, and just want to be reminded of childhood happiness. I would make the jaded argument that this is why these cues are shoved into prequel trailers, BTS documentaries, video games, etc. Not because they have anything to do with the scene. That's a criticism of Lucasfilm, not you.

I'm fine with this motif (or others) being used in the show. But this specific of a cue in the actual show would be tacky, distracting and useless. I don't want to think about Leia and Han. I actually like these characters and stories, and think many of them are superior to the OT.

On the other hand, if you're simply insisting that it just conveys a generic feeling of excitement, that's cool. *insert Anakin-Talz peace graphic thingee* I stand by my opinion of using canned cues.

Again, I don't think we're really coming from very different POV on the music. I would also prefer more JW music on the show. If anything, I would like to hear the Across the Star theme, Anakin's theme, the Trade Federation march, and the AOTC version of the Imperial March.

8. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    This, with the caveat that the feeling is not generic, but specifically "Star Wars". Or maybe generically "Star Wars" excitement, but not simply generic excitement.

When I say "I wish the show music was like this," I don't mean I want the specific Asteroid Field cue. I just want something that evokes the spirit of adventure the way the original scores did, instead of mindless 'action' music. Though I do think there are a number of musical motifs from the films that should find their way into the show. That's why I said I want music LIKE that, not I want THAT music.

There's an elegance to all of the movie music, and the angry drum-and-power-chords attitude of the trailer music is simply antithetical to that. It's just so against the grain of the space-fantasy that Star Wars is supposed to be.

AOTC version of the Imperial March

This confuses me. Why the need to specify "AotC version"? The melody is exactly the same as it was in 1980, there's only a slight alteration to rhythm and arrangement. "AotC version" sounds like you're talking about wanting that specific cue.

But I agree on incorporating Anakin's theme, Across the Stars, etc. I just don't see why you seem so resistant to things like the Force theme and the Main Title (which, despite the reputation as 'Luke's Theme', is STILL the opening and closing music to both the prequels and TCW). Heck, the Rebel Fanfare was even used when R2 beat the buzz droid in RotS. These cues are worth reusing not because they're old, but because they're just that versatile and GOOD. Princess Leia's theme got used out of context for Ben's death, for cryin' out loud!

I guess my point is this: unless Kiner has got quality melodies of his own to use (which so far he largely HASN'T), he might as well make use of the ones the franchise already has waiting in the wings instead of filling the episodes with generic noise. Unless he's also so unskilled that he can't make suitable arrangements of pre-written melodies, in which case the show needs to hire someone else.

EDIT: Okay, maybe that's a little harsh on Kiner. The in-episode music I've heard has largely maintained the Star Wars sound, and for all we know the cue in that trailer has nothing to do with the episode's music. If it does, though, I'm concerned about the musical direction the show is taking.

9. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    [image=http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/6883/peaceim8.jpg]

Here you go, guess this should be an automatic forum function...

10. AhsokaMiro

AhsokaMiro Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2008
    Yeah. Never would've thought Anakin would have such mad quick-sketch skillz, but they shall live on forever here.

11. goraq

goraq Jedi Youngling star 4

May 15, 2008
    Maybe he used the force to draw it.

12. Ludo_Kressh

Ludo_Kressh Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2005
    Ah, yeah...that trailer was total BADA$$!! And Mace Windu, WHOO-HOO!!

And I thought the Asteroid theme gave the appropriate backdrop for the action they were showing in the trailer, it got my blood pumping!:D

13. Yee_Moh

Yee_Moh Jedi Youngling

Aug 25, 2005
    I'm so psyched to see this trilogy, especially "Storm Over Ryloth". I want to see that Neimoidian commander blow Ahsoka out of the sky. [face_devil]

Seriously, I think that guy looks bad@$$. I hope the Seps win this one.

14. goraq

goraq Jedi Youngling star 4

May 15, 2008
    ,, I hope the Seps win this one.,,

They wont,in the next episode we see the Republic liberating Ryloth,that could only mean that they lost the space battle and the separatist blockade is gone.

15. Emperor_Gunray

Emperor_Gunray Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 25, 2005
    Looking forward to seeing Wat Tambor! I've been wanting him to appear ever since his cameo at the start of the Movie newsreel.

16. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    I am really looking forward to this[face_dancing]!

17. Timewatch

Timewatch Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 2, 2008
    Wat Tambor is cool, but I think we all could use some San Hill. And I'm still wondering what happened to Grievous, he just dissappeared after episode 10.

What mainly makes me giddy is that we finally see the Lucrehulk in action. I love those ships.

18. JediLight

JediLight Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    Trailer was great.

I know that some of you have already stated that Mace's voiceover was not SLJ. But I honestly thought the first time we saw Mace, it was SLJ.

19. cwquest

cwquest Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 4, 2006
    yeah, the mace voice is spot on. I think that the dooku voice is pretty much identical to christopher lee too.

20. swcolts157

swcolts157 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 15, 2008
    OMG! This looks too good, I cannot wait two more weeks for this. Space battles, Mace action, Wat Tambor, my head almost exploded when I saw this trailer!. The Neimoidian general looks like a neat character, and the animation is so sweet, hopefully this arc will show how amazing this show can be!

21. fanboyskywalker

fanboyskywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 3, 2008
    Dang I love this show!

The trailer, though, didn't really fire me up until the SW trailer music came in. From that point on it was pretty badass especially the last show of the Star Destroyer crashing into another ship. I hope that's Anakin's Star Destroyer. That would be cool to see him escape that.

I hope this episode arc is amazing considering it is the last one we will get until the fall. :(

I love Wat Tambor, Mace looks good (even though, IMO, he's way over-rated as a character) and I think I caught a glimpse of Yoda so fingers crossed...

22. Yee_Moh

Yee_Moh Jedi Youngling

Aug 25, 2005
    True, but isn't this the episode where Ahsoka loses most of her squadron? The Seps kick her butt once, even if she does beat them on the second try. And I can't wait to see it. [face_devil]

23. mykillmyers

mykillmyers Jedi Master star 2

Feb 23, 2005
    I look forward to this as well. As far as the voice actor for Mace Windu is concerned, it's obvious these guys have more freedom to push the envelope of intensity in an animated series.

24. Fettclone1

Fettclone1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 4, 2006
    This looks epic and feels like a movie preview.

Looking forward to it.

25. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I think the JW themes have a lot to do with that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.