main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga The Official Saga 3D Thread!!!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by obi-rob-kenobi4, Sep 28, 2010.

1. StarWarrior92

StarWarrior92 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 7, 2011
    I saw AOTC on Blu-Ray a couple of days ago, and I'm really itching to see it on the big screen real soon. Maybe an August release wouldn't be so bad.......

2. shanerjedi

shanerjedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 17, 2010
    I'll be honest and say I expected it to do 100 million in the U.S. alone. I'm actually surprised it wont.

3. shanerjedi

Mar 17, 2010
  4. YodaDooDahDay

YodaDooDahDay Jedi Padawan star 3

Jul 20, 2010
    Wow, seriously? 100M? That would put it alongside the ANH SE. I never imagined it doing that well. I was thinking 50m plus and it looks like it will come in a little shy of that.

The release has been a success. True, it's less than Lion King 3D, but it will end up on par with Beauty and higher than Toy Story 3D. Globally, it doubles both those films. Considering the amount of negative press TPM has generated over the years, the relentless snark campaign against it, and (sure, I'll say it) the fact that the public generally is more positive toward other Star Wars films, ending up north of 40m is a good number. It's certainly good enough that Lucasfilm turned a profit and they'll continue with AOTC 3D.

But enough of numbers. I'm turning my attention to looking forward to AOTC. I only wish they'd 3D the IMAX cut.

5. obi-rob-kenobi4

obi-rob-kenobi4 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 17, 2007
    I for one am not going to let any more technical nit-picking from obsessed elitists do anything to tarnish the memory of this popular and successful film. I for one, have had quite enough of that for the past 13 years.

It was amazingly successful the first time, they tried to darken the memory of it and then it was released again over a decade later and proved to be successful yet again despite being instantly available everywhere. And what a surprise, they are jumping to put the film under a microscope to point out anything about it which might be less than spectacular.

This discussion needs to move on. I want to talk about AOTC 3D.

6. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    100 million alone? My god you have great expectations!

There isn't much to say about AOTC 3D until they announce it. Why announce it before Japan 3D rerelease? They said "If it makes enough we will keep doing more 3D SW"

well i think it has done enough and they are prepping AOTC but if they announce it before Japan maybe some will not feel "obligated" to see it because AOTC is already coming.

To be honest, I am more excited about the prequels being rereleased than the originals.

I already know the originals are loved, but seeing the prequels get and applause at the opening day credit roll....well that warms my heart! :D [face_dancing]

7. DanteVader

DanteVader Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 3, 2010
    Aren't we all supposed to be "Star Wars" fans here. It seems the same folks who wouldn't stop tearing the Bluray set apart because of "color timing" are desperate to see the 3D rereleases fail, and I just cannot understand why. If you hate it all so freakin' much, why devote so much of your time complaining about it?

Menace isn't my favorite film in the series (nor do I think it's the disaster that "pop culture" en mass has decided it is) but I was personally thrilled just to be able to experience Star Wars on the big screen again. The first notes of the Williams score bursting into my ears while "Star Wars" disappears into space never fails to knock whatever **** I'm dealing with right out of my mind for the next 2 hours.

This was a re-release of a movie readily available in every conceivable viewing format (with a very high profile Bluray release just a couple of months ago,which I've no idea why the marketing team would allow that) that's been derided as the film that ruined the saga.

To pull 75mil+ while fighting against all that, to label the release a "flop", one must be peering through "raped childhood" tinted glasses.

8. Drewton

Drewton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 8, 2009
    As far as I know, only one poster here (DBrennan3333) has labelled this release a flop.

9. BoromirsFan

May 16, 2010
    The complaints against the blu ray are perfectly legit.

Its one thing to complain about the quality of a blu ray transfer, and another to call a successful 3D rerelease a flop.

They do not go hand in hand.

Trolling us with Orwell does little to aide anything.

Its true this release could have made more money, but it was up against hard competition.

The fact that it made as much as it did is extraordinary.

I say if a high profile rerelease can get 100 million it is a success.

10. MandalorianDuchess

MandalorianDuchess Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 16, 2010
    I would say that the 3-D reissue of TPM has been nothing short of a smashing success. I mean, not only because of the films that it opened against, but also because it was the 3rd children's/family movie in 6 months to be re-issued in 3D.

Unlike the ones from Disney, however, this one was reissued at a strategic time to reinvigorate the franchise, and it's interesting to note that Maul was unleashed in theater screens once again just as he was also being brought back to life in the animated series. If that's not good synergy between the LucasFilm divisions, I don't know what is.

Now you have some of the most recent figures on cards that feature Maul quite prominently, and some displays in Targets and other stores reminding us that TPM is in theaters... well, you get the picture.

Lucasfilm did an even better job of orchestrating the whole thing to cross-promote stuff that Disney did with "Lion King" and "Beauty and the Beast", imho. (Keep in mind that merchandising is potentially even more profitable than the theatrical profits).

They give the whole franchise a big boost and give fans something else to talk about.

It's just brilliant - and now we have 5 years ahead of us that are all but guaranteed to have a yearly mini-event with which to re-energize the franchise.

Just brilliant. =D=

11. Mond

Mond Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 21, 2009
    I finally get to see it this week (I've been busy). Nute Gunray hologram in 3D! Sick!

12. shanerjedi

Mar 17, 2010
    What did The Lion King 3D make?

Maybe I was shooting for the moon thinking 100 mill? But it just seems to me that a SW film, one without a release in over 10 years, should do that well. Then again, there's a a TON of additional media everywhere and other sources to see it.

13. Ginkasa

Ginkasa Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 13, 2002

The Lion King 3D did $94.2 million according to Box Office Mojo. That last sentence in your post is a large reason why TPM couldn't have done so well compared to TLK to the Star Wars SE rereleases. Compared to a lot of these other rereleases, TPM was in theatres relatively not that long ago, has been readily available in high quality home releases since its theatrical releases, and was just recently released on Blu-Ray.

14. BoromirsFan

May 16, 2010
    and it was released at a godawful time. I believer there is about 700 plus theaters playing it now.

This is a lesson learned for Lucasfilm, perhaps January is a better month for this sort of thing.

It needs like 5-6 million from US to outgross BATB, and I am not sure if it has enough theaters and demand to do even that now.

Japan will give it a good amount though.

15. DBrennan3333

DBrennan3333 Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 5, 2004
    It's hilarious how now all of the sudden everybody is focused on international box office.

TPM is the only re-release to get a sizable international release. (Posters from Scandinavia at OriginalTrilogy.com noted that TLK wasn't released there at all, whereas TPM 3D was the first time a SW movie had translated voiceovers.) So comparing TPM to the other release's foreign figures is like comparing Brett Hull's number of goals as a Detroit Red Wing (hockey) player to Steve Yzerman: Brett Hull only played for the Red Wings for a few years, Steve Yzerman played two decades.

For those of you who are REALLY interested in a good foreign box office comp to TPM, I have a suggestion: Wait 'til Titanic comes out.

OT.com also linked to this article from before its release. It's kind of sad now, reading that with the floppage we now know. On the other hand, it noted that they were already working on AOTC's conversion, so I can't imagine that not getting released.

16. Nordom

Nordom Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 1, 2004
    The main reason it is on so few screens is because it isn't pulling in enough viewers, Journey 2 still has it's theaters because it is still doing good numbers. It will loos quite a few next weekend though. Had TPM opened in January then BATB would have been direct competition. Along with Contraband that had a good opening and weekend after you had Red Tails and Underworld. Also the total gross of the weekends in february is much higher than those in january. The weekend BATB opened the total gross was about 130 M$ and when TPM opened it was about 190 M$. Almost 50% more. So competition alone does not explain it. More people are going to the movies, more tickets are sold so even with more competition, the added people compensate for that.

Regards
    Nordom

As for beating BATB, domestic I say those chances are practically nil. It needs 6 million more and at best it will make about half of that.

17. MandalorianDuchess

MandalorianDuchess Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 16, 2010
    Floppage? What floppage? :confused:

It seems to me the conversions will more than pay for themselves with the theatrical release alone - and they will bring in more profits via the 3-D blu-rays, and possibly some cable showings later on.

Not to mention all the advantages that come with being able to cross-promote the newer property (TCW) and keeping the youngest generation interested.

18. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    International box-office was always going to be very important. I was focused on the full picture from day one. A great emphasise is placed on the overseas gross more so now than ever before.

And I can?t believe you?re comparing TPM to the 3D re-release of a film that made over a billion dollars in its original run. Do you think you deserve a pat on the back for maintaining that Titanic 3D will make (much) more money than TPM 3D? It was always an inevitability. Anyone can make that prediction, and they?d be right.

19. DBrennan3333

Nov 5, 2004

20. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Sit in silence? I only wish.

21. CuppaJoe

CuppaJoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 24, 2002
    Weirdos like Dave Filoni? Filoni is a really friendly, generous fun guy. He's a Star Wars fan and he's one of us. I'm more than happy to see Star Wars in his hands.

22. DBrennan3333

Nov 5, 2004
    "One of us"? Speak for yourself there, buddy.

And thanks for really addressing the heart and soul of the post, and not just an incidental jokey comment made at the end. Or not.

23. CuppaJoe

Aug 24, 2002
    LOL what's that supposed to mean?

And thank you for being a drama queen! Dude, you are taking this stuff way too seriously.

24. DBrennan3333

Nov 5, 2004
    First off: No, no offense taken. I get called names all the time.

But beyond that, your insult of choice was strange because your last post made it seem like you like queens.

25. CuppaJoe

Aug 24, 2002
    Well yeah, I love New York!

Seriously though, didn't mean to insult. I just thought that was a strange comment because Dave Filoni just seems like an all around cool dude. But it's cool! No biggie.