main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga The Official Saga 3D Thread!!!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by obi-rob-kenobi4, Sep 28, 2010.

1. AmiraMalicious

AmiraMalicious Jedi Youngling

Jun 5, 2011
    I'm quite excited for these to come out, though I know that George Lucas is just trying to squeeze more money out of the story line that he came up with decades ago.
    I'll see them anyways.

2. DBrennan3333

DBrennan3333 Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 5, 2004
    Alright, that's cool.

I've most definitely learned that it's hard to know people - even people in your private life - so I don't want to pass the ultimate judgment on any strangers. But, ya know, Filoni does seem like a phony, patronizing, disingenuous, annoyingly effeminate, and more than any of that, I can't stand TCW (his movie or the TV show). But that's O.T.

3. MandalorianDuchess

MandalorianDuchess Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 16, 2010
    In what universe has SW lost *any* of the esteem that most fans have had for decades now? Please let me know, because it seems to be some kind of alternate universe that is completely unlike anything I know.

Look, the bottom line is that any time you get about $100 million dollars back worldwide on an investment that almost certainly was between $10-$15 million.

So, let me ask you: if *you* had that kind of money to invest, and you knew it all but certain to generate sales of about $100 million, would you invest that money? Anybody who wouldn't would be a fool. It's money in the bank.

And that's not even counting how much extra profit will probably be generated from 3-D blu-ray sales, etc.

Not to mention the little fact that it helps maintain the interest of the youngest generation, the one that was born after the release of ROTS.

4. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jedi_Ford_Prefect Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2003
    I was going to spend some time writing something to counter your usual claims a few posts back, but this post here's bugging me even more. It's not the weird read on Filoni, despite the claims to not passing judgment on strangers. It's the lumping of "effeminate" in with negative qualities like being disengenuous, patronizing or phony that bothers me (never mind I can't really understand what makes Filoni effeminate to begin with). Let's say he were "effeminate". So what?

5. MandalorianDuchess

Feb 16, 2010
    Exactly! I thought that, too. I have many friends who are effeminate, to one extent or another; there's absolutely nothing wrong about that. In fact, some of them are among the nicest, friendliest, and most awesome people I've ever known.

And I wasn't going to even address that since it is so clearly off-topic, but I'm glad I'm not alone on this. :)

6. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Indeed.

7. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    Sticking just with the "disingenuous" descriptor for a moment, it's almost like this person is describing themselves:

3 of their posts back:

2 of their posts back:

And their last post:

So, not really an "incidental jokey comment".

The absolute phoniest, slimiest, most patronizing person in this entire thread may well be DBrennan3333. I am struggling to think of a half-way decent rival. He's running a one-horse race and he doesn't even know. Poor guy.

Kidding aside (or is it? -- DBrennan3333 is better at these things than me, so maybe he can tell us), this user has frequently resorted to this very epithet, as well as a stridently anti-gay post which was later deleted (but *I* remember it well; and will not long forget it), in his (long-over-cooked) tenure on this forum.

My personal wish is to see him expelled outright. His bigotry has been allowed to endure far too long. As someone who occasionally swings in that direction, and generally inclines, in terms of sexual/romantic tastes, towards the trans-end of the spectrum (if, indeed, transgenderism is not, in some way, the complete spectrum itself), I am sick and tired of his casual intolerance; and the way he constantly patronizes to and chews out others on impulse (when he should really have developed a clue by now). But then, maybe that's just me.

Just been off the net for the past few days. This is NOT a pleasant thing to come back to. DBrennan: get in touch with your feminine side and stop running from your own shadow. It sounds like you desperately need to confront your own reflection, and to stop making ignorant, hateful remarks about people and things you clearly fear in your own being. Dagobah cave, dude. Dagobah cave.

8. MandalorianDuchess

Feb 16, 2010
    I second that.

9. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jun 9, 2003
    Let's move way from commenting on commenters, and get back to the actual thread.

As a matter of happenstance, I ran across something today that deepened some of my feelings on the challenges TPM was facing as a rerelease. I was in Manhattan today checking out the new Makoto Shinkai anime, and afterwards went over to Kim's Video, this nice little store in the village where they have a lot of rare items in terms of niche films, import DVD's and the like. They also display a lot of past formats like Laserdiscs and VHS boxes on the walls, and among their items were the VHS box-sets for the original "Star Wars" trilogy, both OOT and SE. Most interestingly, their OOT set was the widescreen edition, and was packaged in a tellingly different way. Instead of the regular OOT set and the SE boxes, the widescreen OOT had a long box that wouldn't be able to fit on a normal bookshelf. It underscored for me the fact that it was being sold, at the time, to a more niche audience of SW uberfans and cinephiles who cared about letterboxing to see the whole picture, and at a time when that was something of a novelty to begin with.

The point being-- back in the 90's, if you were an average moviegoer or even an average SW fan, odds are you were familiar with the films on pan-and-scan VHS, and were more or less happy with that for home-viewing. Yes, you could seek out the widescreen VHS or the laserdiscs if you wanted, but the vast majority of people were going to go with the less expensive and easier to store copies of the films. Hell, they might not even know that the widescreen copies existed (most stores probably weren't going to be selling the letterboxed versions, or at least not in the same quantities). As such, the SE's provided something very new for most moviegoers who weren't there for the original theatrical run-- a chance to see the whole picture in full 2.35:1.

Now, by the time the SE VHS sets came out, there was more of a growing shift to making letterboxed movies more available for consumers. The SE widescreen set had the same kind of box as the regular version, just in a different color. So that was around the time things were changing. When HD sets and DVD hit, they basically made letterboxing the norm for how we watch movies. Yes, fullscreen versions of stuff are out there if you don't like the way letterboxing looks, but they're not as common anymore.

Because of this, TPM and all of the PT has been available to home viewers in their full 2.35:1 ratios, and in fact have been most available in that format. The 3D release, as such, doesn't offer that as something new to the experience, seeing the whole picture.

10. DBrennan3333

Nov 5, 2004
    I agree with this. This is supposed to be the TPM thread, not the T.M.I. thread. I never knew that "effeminate" was on the officially censored, "Oh no he di'int!" list in the U.S. or here at TFN. I post regularly at probably five or six different message boards (MMA, James Cameron, baseball, paleo diet, and others) and I've never seen or heard people react negatively at all to words like that, let alone with this caliber of hysteria. The few posters who were getting hysterical might want to really check themselves. But that's just my opinion.

The letterboxed versions of the OT also aired on the Sci-Fi Channel (as it was then spelled) regularly.

There are two things in your post which discredit the thesis before it's even stated: (1) the letterboxed versions of the OT were indeed available, and (2) most people didn't care about the letterboxed versions.

So if those two things are true - and I think they are - then we can discount the widescreen presentation as anything more than a negligible factor in the SE's triumph. If we had access to Lucasfilm's polling data, I'm sure that saying, "Seeing the full picture frame" didn't register a blip on the marketing radar. Seeing it in a theater was probably a significant draw, but that's different than the widescreen.

Incidentally, I used to get in some heated discussions - not competitive, but productive - with the guys I used to do the James Cameron Fan Podcast with. Lots of us were pretty tech savvy but I used to argue that movie presentation reached the point of diminishing returns very early. In other words, somebody spending $10,000 on his HDTV and stereo is not going to enjoy the movie 20-times more than somebody who spends $500. I can personally prove that many of the differences in audio quality are literally indetectible to human ears (if they exist at all) and most all of the modern A/V industry is just getting money from rich suckers.

For me, I always try to remember that the times I used to enjoy movies most were when I was a teenager and I would just be up late at night watching VHS tapes on a 13" TV with the volume low so that I wouldn't wake up my parents. Even if I were a billionaire, that fact will always prevent me from letting the modern A/V industry sucker me out of thousands of dollars.

11. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    I think "effeminate" is perfectly fine, its the context in which you used the word thats the problem - I.E. in a negative context as though being effeminate is something bad, along with being a phony, patronizing and all the other negative words you posted in your OTT character assassination of Filoni. Thats the impression I got from your post anyway.

Back on topic, I'm hoping to go and see TPM 3D for a second and last time this week.[face_dancing]

12. DBrennan3333

Nov 5, 2004
    I think it was pretty clear that the context was what caused the mass hysteria (real or contrived). So, like, we know that. So I'll repeat my point:

This is supposed to be the TPM thread, not the T.M.I. thread. I never knew that "effeminate" was on the officially censored, "Oh no he di'int!" list in the U.S. or here at TFN. I post regularly at probably five or six different message boards (MMA, James Cameron, baseball, paleo diet, and others) and I've never seen or heard people react negatively at all to words like that, let alone with this caliber of hysteria. The few posters who were getting hysterical might want to really check themselves. But that's just my opinion.

As far as a "character assassination", thanks for your opinion about my description of him as a phony, effeminate dude who made the first ever SW flop and a terrible cartoon. My opinion is unchanged, and you're not going to change it, so don't waste your time.

13. MandalorianDuchess

Feb 16, 2010
    First of all, I think 3 or 4 concerned posts hardly qualifies as "hysteria". Secondly, it's not that the word itself merits a negative reaction, the negative reaction is due to your using the word as though there was something bad about someone being effeminate, which is simply not true. (And for what it's worth I don't think Filoni is, but that's another story).

Ultimately, however, the whole aspect about the Clone Wars really doesn't have that much to do with the 3-D reissue of the movies. It does seem like it was worth pointing out how the Lucasfilm synergy was well coordinated so that the movie and the animated series were cross-promoted, and the return of Darth Maul (in theaters and in TV) was well publicized.

For people who really enjoy the movies, it was a lot of fun to go back and watch TPM in theaters with a 3-D conversion. And judging from what I saw at the screenings, it was also a lot of fun for a lot of us older fans, and for a lot of younger kids, as well.

The 3-D conversions will help a lot in keeping the brand alive and fresh in people's minds well through the 10s.

14. Drewton

Drewton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 8, 2009
    Yes, DBrennan3333 acknowledged this in his last post. And whether you agree with him or not, I think calling for a ban counts as hysteria.

I don't necessarily agree with your point, specifically about the box office success, but it's an interesting point anyway. When we can now watch films in our home, in the same aspect aspect ratio, at almost the same video resolution, and with just as good sound if not better, the lines between theater and home theater really have become blurred. This is not meant as a slight against TPM, but sitting in the theater I wondered why I did not just watch the movie at home.

I think it was a mistake to release TPM in 3D after the Blu-ray set, in which TPM had a huge albeit not perfect improvement, showing more of the picture with proper colors.

15. DBrennan3333

Nov 5, 2004
    Thanks for standing up, Drewton.

For the people who have bought into the new age political trope that your own personal (supposed) outrage at somebody else's "offensive" statements is relevant and makes you morally superior, here's a funny comedic bit about it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHMoDt3nSHs&t=4m6s

Also, I'd have to advise you to stay the heck away from MMA message boards and wag your fingers with your, "Oh no you di'int say that!" supposed outrage. They'd respond like the construction worker neighbor in 'Office Space' when asked if people at his work ever claimed to have a case of "the Mondays".

(And if Dave Filoni comes across as "masculine" to anybody....I guess maybe we come from different social groups or something. No, a dude with a thick lisp, a womanly gait, and other feminine traits is not masculine compared to the actions of any heterosexual men that I've met. But, hey, Filoni loves making stories worshiping the military and imperialism, so maybe that's what makes somebody masculine in today's world. I don't know. To each his own.)

16. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Sound like lovely gents to be around. I bet 3PO is their favorite character.

On topic: TPM is the best because you get to see 3PO naked.

17. StampidHD280pro

StampidHD280pro Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    [face_batting] :* [face_shhh] [face_beatup]

So, got anything antisemitic to say while we're on the topic?

Oh, btw JFP, Kim's Video is my favorite place to shop in Manhattan. If you dig the music selection there, and if you already haven't, check out Other Music.

18. DBrennan3333

Nov 5, 2004
    So, in other words, what you're saying is....

[image=http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd499/ComicsPlus3/Untitled.png]

And you're obviously hoping you'll be able to say that again.

And, once more, here's a great bit about people feigning moral outrage about people making "offensive" (read: politically incorrect) statements: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHMoDt3nSHs&t=4m6s

19. StampidHD280pro

Jul 28, 2005
    No, I'm genuinely interested in conspiracy theories of all types. Have you seen Tim and Eric's Billion Dollar Movie?Did you know that George Lucas, Steven Spielberg, and Larry David are all homosexual pedophiles, and that Hollywood is controlled by effeminate Jews who enjoy depraved sex acts involving fecal matter? http://thecrispincorner.com/essay.html Have you read this essay?

Not that I believe any of that. I just enjoy hearing others make such claims. I take no offense at all.

I have a feeling you'll get a kick out of this program: http://oraclebroadcasting.com/archives.php?who=rebel_path

20. DBrennan3333

Nov 5, 2004
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schizophrenia

But it's nice to know the sort of websites you visit and thoughts you occupy your mind with.

21. StampidHD280pro

Jul 28, 2005
    You and your kind amuse me. What can I say?

22. DBrennan3333

Nov 5, 2004
    Whatever you could say, I'm sure it'd be kind of surreal. (And George Lucas was raised Methodist and now seems to be a generally spiritual deist, just to be clear.)

And I won't ask what you mean by "my kind".

23. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    I got to ask, what planet are you on?

24. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jun 9, 2003
    This is a pretty good distilation of my point. Nowadays, the lines between theater and home theater have blurred quite a bit, and letterboxing on any screen can give one the assumption that you're getting "the full picture", and that's all you need. Years of directors talking about and insisting on the importance of it for television showings has deepened this, and obviously it's an important thing, seeing the whole picture frame. And yes, widescreen is very different from the theater experience (seeing TPM again on the big screen only further reminded me of this, just as much as seeing all of the great Studio Ghibli movies in Manhattan recently), but for most people there isn't that big a difference, and especially so back in the 90's.

As such, I'm willing to bet that there was a sizable enough portion of the audience that was at least in part motivated to see the SE releases because it was a chance to see the whole picture. Had the OT been more readily available in mainstream outlets (specialty VHS stores and the Sci-Fi channel are just far enough out of the mainstream for the masses who buy their movies at Walmart, or wherever) or the home-video culture been saturated with widescreen-ing enough, a fair number of those people might not have shown up. It would have been that much closer to "Why bother to go see something I can just watch at home?", which is the biggest hurdle any rerelease has to face.

Again, the real point isn't whether or not your read of Filoni as "effeminate" is accurate or not. The point is in calling somebody "effeminate" as a means to disparage them. Again, who cares if he's a dude with a thick lisp, a womanly gait or other feminine traits that run counter to prevailing hetero-masculine gender norms? He could go to work dressed to the nines like RuPaul for all I care. Makes just as much sense as dressing up as Plo Kloon or any other "Star Wars" character.

Really-- drag is just another form of cosplay, when you get right down to it. And vice versa. As for him making stories that worship the military and imperialism-- whatever, man.

I'll admit, I'm only really there for the movie selections, specifically the import DVD's (snagged a great R2 copy of Godard's "Histoire(s) Du Cinema" before it got an R1 release) and their anime, which you can occasionally find rare pieces in for something of a bargain (somebody's going to have to explain to me why "Aki

25. DBrennan3333

Nov 5, 2004
    I understand. You're "offended" by somebody calling a third party (a public figure who is not present) "effeminate". You've stated your claims to being morally outraged at this description already. I understand, but I'm not changing my opinion, nor am I going to lie for you. Many have said they'd like to move on. I echo that sentiment.