main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga The Official Saga 3D Thread!!!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by obi-rob-kenobi4, Sep 28, 2010.

1. StampidHD280pro

StampidHD280pro Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    You're a conspiracy loon who seemingly wants to blame effeminate men for the perceived pro-war stance of a cartoon show.

Funny, you've gone off the deep end you've barely dipped your toes into the waters.

2. Thegoat

Thegoat Jedi Master star 1

Jul 28, 2004
    It's not so much over the word as it his unrelenting disrespect for other posters. Had anybody else said it, it would not have been a big deal (possibly because they would have apologized for any offense, however unintentional, instead of continuing to attack and belittle those that they offended). DBrennan, with many of his posts, just seems like he's trying to instigate as many petty arguments and trade as many personal insults as possible, and some of us are tired of it. TFN is supposed to be a place where that kind of discussion is not tolerated.

Besides, the original point stands that words like "effeminate" and even "hysteria" are not only non-PC but completely irrelevant to the conversation. It amounts to little more than baiting.

3. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    THIS STOPS.

NOW.

4. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jedi_Ford_Prefect Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2003

5. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    No love for Ziro the Hutt?

You've just reminded me of another cool part in TPM 3-D: that shot of Threepio stumbling in Anakin's bedroom. In 3-D, it feels like he's going to topple into the audience.

It's the little moments that are actually some of the best. But I think I've already said that a few times. I dunno. Star Wars is even more fun in 3-D, I think. Looking forward to the other five.

6. StampidHD280pro

Jul 28, 2005
    Ah, yes some of their prices in the video section are inexplicable. They'd most likely use the explanation "the value of things is highly subjective". They were playing Devo in there, eh? Do you remember which album. I'm a huge fan btw, and I wear an energy dome to work every day. [image=http://www.wolfsgallery.com/main/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/wade-with-devo-energy-dome.jpeg]

7. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jun 9, 2003
    It was a DVD of their videos-- "The Complete Truth About De-Evolution", I think (which I should pick up someday, but not when I'm eyeing pricey Fritz Lang box sets). And really, their prices are fair, as they don't overcharge for the import DVDs you can't get anywhere else. The "Akira" blu ray is $50 everywhere you go, which I just don't get in general. I can get the full "Neon Genesis Evangelion" box set cheaper in some places (which wouldn't be a bad idea to stock up on, now that it's gone out of print).

Where the hell do you work, man? Some dress code.

8. StampidHD280pro

Jul 28, 2005
    Some local pizza joint in Nowhere, OH/WV.

I'm required to wear a hat, so there it is.:p

Having not left Nowheretown, I still haven't seen TPM in 3D. I almost talked a friend into driving me to another city to see it, but I accidentally told him it was Episode I, and now he seems reluctant to go.:oops:

9. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jun 9, 2003
    They're from Ohio originally, aren't they? Well, makes sense.

Back onto the 3D experience, I will say that it was the best non-IMAX 3D I've ever seen. I managed to see "Avatar" twice when it was out originally-- once in IMAX and once in RealD. It was enjoyable the first time, with the big screen filling your whole peripheral vision. The second time it gave me a headache every time there was an action sequence, or even more than one thing happening onscreen at once. As has been established before, "poppy" 3D is not effective in 2.35:1, so Lucas was wise to downplay that side of it.

10. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jun 9, 2003
    That's a shame. Like I've said before, though, the real draw is seeing TPM on the big screen again, which even for somebody like me who'd seen it a few times theatrically in '99, is a revelatory experience now. It's also one of the better digital screenings I've seen-- better than a digital print of "Blade Runner" I saw at a movie marathon last year, better than the various digitally screened anime I've seen lately (including the Disney release of Ghibli's "Secret World of Arrietty", which is annoyingly pixelated for the resources they have at their disposal). The only digital screening I've seen that bested TPM in terms of picture quality was an outstanding scan of "Ben Hur" at the New York Film Festival, which was jaw-dropping on the big screen (though they had a technical hiccup with the sound-synching for a little while).

11. shanerjedi

shanerjedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 17, 2010
    I would ask everyone to stop standing around gawking at the traffic accident and get back on topic.

Thanks.

12. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    If TPM 3D is going to get an IMAX release, when would we usually expect to hear about it? Would we have heard by now?

13. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    If it was going to be released in IMAX, wouldn?t it have happened by now?

14. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    Man, do we really have to wait a year for AOTC to come out in 3D?

15. MandalorianDuchess

MandalorianDuchess Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 16, 2010
    Maybe not. According to this article there is a tentative plan to condense the whole thing so it takes 3 years instead of 6, so if that became a reality, we would be getting AOTC this summer! :D

16. Thegoat

Thegoat Jedi Master star 1

Jul 28, 2004
    And thus A New Hope the summer after! :D

I really hope they go with this schedule. Seeing TPM in theaters was a blast, and I can't wait to repeat the experience.

17. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jun 9, 2003
    That'd be too bad if they did that, because the original plan would've put ROTJ at 2017, which would've marked the 40th anniversary of the series, and would've been a nice tribute. However, that just underscores to me the fact that they should've just waited for the 40th anniversary to begin with.

18. MandalorianDuchess

MandalorianDuchess Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 16, 2010
    Well, as the article states, there is some concern in the industry that overall interest in 3-D may be waning. I'm not going to get into whether or not that's going to be the case in the next 2-3 years, but I would say that it's best to condense the series rather than start running into less 3-D interest just as they're about to get into the OT re-release.

There's all kinds of things they can do for the 40th anniversary, I'm sure. Maybe GL will announce the holographic conversion by then? ;)

19. Mond

Mond Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 21, 2009
    I recommend deleting the demented comments about Filoni if any are still up as I've heard that he browses these forums occasionally. Imagine if he did a search for himself just to get an inkling of what the fans think of him, only to met with that hateful garbage.

He's a perfectly decent and totally harmless guy. Seriously, picking on him is like bullying Santa Claus. Not cool.

Anyway, to get back on topic, I am seeing this tomorrow unless a client springs some more sudden work on me. It occurred to me today that a particularly delectable treat would be the incineration of Daultay Dofine... in spectacular 3D! Yeah, I know it only lasts a second, but it's one of the most satisfying parts of the film for me for some reason.

20. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    A Santa Claus who only brings you presents you don't want.

To fans of EU material which he's ignored, trampled on, or replaced, he's more like the Grinch.

21. Sword_Of_Goliath

Sword_Of_Goliath Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 22, 2010
    Actually, it's called "reciprocity" -- Lucas let the EU authors pretty much do what they wanted, and now gets the same freedom they were allowed. Seems fair to me.

22. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    Dear god that was painful to get read through, such self-destructive posts! Im glad that wreck of a derailment is over!

Boxofficemojo has not updated the foreign take yet, which is annoying. Its been almost 1 week since an update.

TPM US needs 5 million to outgross BATB.

Can it honestly do it at this stage?

I also think maybe Lucas should consider adding some fixes to his 3D transfers. So we could look for something new in the films besides 3D effects.

The specials editions may not have been loved but there was a selling point. Old classics with some new surprises.

This is going to sound very fanboyish, but i honestly hope Titanic doesn't make a killing.

Does James Cameron really need another ego boost? Titanic and Avatar make more than most film series put together.

The Star Wars saga has some fairly modest boxoffice compared to the recent behemoths of Transformers, Harry Potter and Pirates of the Caribbean.

I felt the films deserved to make more, which is why I track the boxoffice of TPM 3D. I like seeing quality films get their rewards.

As for the popularity of star wars? Its certainly still popular, but not at its peak. The prequel era was the peak, but the clone wars revitalized the popularity with a new audience.

Then there is the standout EU that draws people like TOR and TFU.

There is still alot of money to be made from this series.

23. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    I'm just going to go ahead and watch my AOTC blue ray with the 3d glasses from TPM.

24. Nordom

Nordom Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 1, 2004
    The chance to outgross BATB are none I would say. TPM made just over 1 M$ this weekend and it has been droping over 60% every weekend since it opened. And it has only about 800 theaters left. Around 2 M$ is probably the best it can hope for.

Oh as an aside, about competition. This weekend had a HUGE opener, The Lorax, with over 70 M$. And yet none of the top ten dropped more than 55%. And TPM never dropped this little. Which to me says that even if TPM had opened in January, the numbers would not have been that different.

Regards
    Nordom

25. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    According to boxoffice.com (not boxofficemojo), TPM 3D is up to $92.6 million worldwide. Doing a lot better overseas than it is here at home. Clearly Europe and Asia have a far better appreciation for the prequels than the US. Keep in mind that in 1999, the gross was higher in North America than it's foreign take was. Now that has more than flip flopped. That is telling. We Americans are swayed by the media which has given the perception that the PT is bad. I know I have heard before that TPM and the prequels are far more appreciated these day s overseas. That theory is currently being proven correct.