main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Official Scoundrels Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Rogue_Follower, Dec 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    I'm only a quarter of the way into Scoundrels, but I'm really enjoying it so far. I wanted to read Winner Lose All before I started, and I'm glad I did. It was a nice introduction to Bink, Tavia, and Zerba. I've always enjoyed Zahn's Solo, and he's not disappointing here. It's a fun story, and it is nice to read something where the fate of the GFFA isn't resting in the balance.

2. Heat

Heat Jedi Master star 1

Apr 5, 2006
    Yes, I just finished Winner Lose All and liked it. Bink, Tavia, and Zerba were good characters. Are they in Scoundrels?

3. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Yes, they're part of the 11.

4. Reaper63

Reaper63 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 17, 2002
    The short in the insider (Heist) was also a good read and did justice to Bink and Tavia. Worth the read. I'm still waiting to get the digital and hardcover copies. Can't wait to read this!!

5. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    i have read about a 1/10 of the book so far. I am enjoying it.

6. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    I loved the Indy reference as well - nice touch Zahn.

7. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    @ Isard/Darknell
    They just keep calling him “the Director” as far as I could spot, so they might actually just be talking up their section chief.

8. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Okay this book already gets a 10 out of 10 from me, no matter what, as it actually mentioned the Yavin Vassilika :D

9. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    And y'all doubted Zahn. [face_shame_on_you]

10. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Did we? :p

Finished at last.

Misa ab iPhono meo.

11. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Anyone not very impressed with this one?

I usually really enjoy his SW books. I even think his later stuff is better than his earlier SW works.

But I'm finding this one to be boring at times.

Hoping it gets better. But I can't be the only one who feels this way.

12. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Halfway through. Awesome so far. A major return to form. It really seems like getting Zahn away from his pet characters and letting him do something fresh is getting the old creative juices flowing.

Sort of annoying that everyone in the friggin' book is a human, though. Zahn's usually a good bit better than that about diversifying his cast.

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  13. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    i am about 1/3 of the way through. I am enjoying it, but i can see people that feel bored with it. almost too much dialogue.

14. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Finished it. Zahn is back in peak form -- the book really reminded me of the great, intricate, Fringey short stories he used to do, blown up to novel size. I would love for Zahn to craft some more stories like this, working without Thrawn or Mara. I'd be interested to see if he could work with Karrde capably; I think he could. To see Zahn back in the actual New Republic era would be fun, too.

JediMara77, RC-1991 and krtmd like this.
  15. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Just read Winner Lose All- really enjoyed it- and started Scoundrels. I can already tell I'll have this song constantly playing in my head.

Chewbacca89 and Gorefiend like this.
  16. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    A pity Lucas Books can't be arsed to ensure easy distribution to the UK! Obviously they don't want my money!

17. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Mine shipped from Amazon US on Wed. Now to see how long it takes to get here. And the Insider with 'Heist' just came in the post today. Haven't had a chance to read it yet..

18. johnthejedi24

johnthejedi24 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 12, 2004
    I finished it yesterday and I guess I enjoyed it a good bit. It seemed to drag on a bit with ALOT of dialogue(I don't really mind though, just seems kind if unusual lately). I would have preferred more non-human main, ( or even background ) characters. There were hardly any mentions of non-humans at all, which I found kind of odd for a Star Wars novel.

19. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    About 100 pages into it. I'm not getting it in HardBack so I have to read it whenever I can go to Barnes & Noble. I enjoy it a lot. Zahn wrote an amazing story. This is Star Wars to me.

20. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Cheater. :p

21. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    How is that cheating? I can only read it on the weekends. So I have to wait until next week to continue on. I might not finish it until the week after that. That is not fair by any means. Besides I'll get it in paperback so I have to wait until late this year to get it or whenever it comes out.

22. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    Sitting in a book store and reading a full book without paying for it until it's reprinted in paperback about a year later isn't cheating, even if it is in segmented portions? News to me.

(note also- :p, I'm only half serious)

Jedi Ben likes this.
  23. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Touche. Well I have to suffer throughout the whole week wondering what will come next unlike the people that can read it all immediately.
    Of course.[face_laugh] So am I. Maybe

24. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    exactly.

25. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    Just over a hundred pages in and loving is so far. Nice to see Zahn is back. Loving the mix of classic SW characters as well as new faces.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.