main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Official SECOND STRIKE Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Fan Audio' started by Nathan_P_Butler, Jul 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nathan_P_Butler

Nathan_P_Butler Author, Star Wars Tales #21 star 4 VIP

May 23, 2003
    (Previously, each of Second Strike's three acts were discussed on separate release threads on TFN Fan Films' forum. Those original threads are now directed here.)

STAR WARS: SECOND STRIKE
    Discussion Thread
    Act I Release Date: 12/25/02
    Act II Release Date: 05/25/2003
    Act III Release Date: 06/29/2003

1.5 years after the Battle of Endor (between the X-wing comic books and novels), the Empire is still strong, but fragmenting. Various warlords have begun staking their own claims. One such warlord is former Imperial Moff Arilus Dehrahn. When a New Republic Intelligence mission to Dehrahn's capital world, Ferri'sol, goes bad, it's up to a New Republic Special Ops team, Valkan's Rayzurs, to pick up the pieces.

Enter our group of "heroes." They're not perfect, they're not Jedi, and they're certainly not well-adjusted in some cases, but this isn't a space opera. This is war, and they're out there fighting it, each one knowing that for every success a price is paid in blood, and every mission could be their last.

Follow their journey as they take on Lord Dehrahn behind enemy lines in Second Strike .
    Welcome to a new era in fan audio.

Second Strike has had a twisted road to where we are today, and it all began with a simple premise: If the Galactic Civil War is a real war, then sometimes the bad guys aren't so clean, sometimes the good guys aren't so good, and sometimes stories are a bit deeper than we've come to expect in fan productions. With Second Strike we set out to tackle that premise.

We had never before seen a serious, well-written, Star Wars fan-made audio drama when the first act of Second Strike hit the internet. Oh, we've heard the Radio Dramas and all of the audiobook dramatizations, but in the fan-creation realm, we had really only heard parody songs and parody stories like Stormtrooper Bob. Second Strike became the first ever fully-cast, serious fan audio drama on the internet.

We at Rayzur's Edge thank you for joining in the experience with us.

Visit the SECOND STRIKE WEBSITE for more information and to download the serious fan audio drama.

Featuring a cast of 40+ actors from 5 countries on 3 continents.

Starring (lead roles):
    Nathan Butler
    Clay Kronke
    Chris Hanel
    Kris Newsom
    Ian Bowie
    Pete Sutton
    Kate Chappell
    Amy Ferrell
    Michael Haspil
    Kate Singleton
    Emily Savage
    Adam Fisher

2. Nathan_P_Butler

May 23, 2003
    Apparently, board tags are not active on the Fan Audio board, nor is the ability to edit posts, so . . .

Star Wars: Second Strike can be found here:

http://www.starwarz.com/timeline/2s/

3. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    Now that you've upped all your threads in the Fan Films Forum and told everyone to come here, I confess I'm going to find it amusing if this forum is closed :p

Rick McCallum loves you!

4. Nathan_P_Butler

May 23, 2003
    If we're going to be caught up in this ludicrous action, might as well at least *try* to make use of it.

5. Azeem

Azeem TFN Staff, Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 12, 1999
    I'll check the HTML settings

6. Nathan_P_Butler

May 23, 2003
    Update for those curious about the RPG Sourcebook: The sourcebook's text, thus far, is up to 32 pages, with 2 columns on each page, like the standard WotC sourcebook.

It's looking like this is the breakdown:

Introduction
    1: Gamemastering a Second Strike Adventure
    2: Key Characters
    3: The Worlds and Cultures of Second Strike
    4: The Starships of Second Strike
    5: The Four Battles of Ferri'sol
    6: Project FlashDeath
    I: Anthology
    II: Chronology
    III: The Art of Second Strike and Anthology

If anyone's interested, name a character or part of that table of contents and I'll post a sample snippet.

7. Nathan_P_Butler

May 23, 2003
    Here's a question for ya:

Let's say that I want to revise the Second Strike site, or at least what's available.

Right now, all of these are available:

-----

Full Act Files

Individual Scene Files for CD Burning

CD Jewel Case Inserts

Annotated Scripts for Each Act

Lyrics and a Vocal File for "Call on Me" from Act III

Development of a Scene File

Jaren Bloopers File

-----

I'm thinking that if I do a revision, the latter three on this list would go, but I'm curious if those are things that would be interesting to keep.

8. Janz_Walker

Janz_Walker Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 9, 2000
    The Development of a Scene file is interesting. I'd say keep it. Your song is your own business. Keep it up if you like. As for the Jaren bloopers thing, I still gotta listen to it so don't take it down yet! :)

Chris

9. Nathan_P_Butler

May 23, 2003
    I'm just worried about limiting my bandwidth draw from 2S for . . . uhm . . . "Project Sonja."

:)

10. cinemafreak

cinemafreak Jedi Master star 4

May 13, 2002
    I think that those files should go back up for an anniversary.

11. LawgSkrak

LawgSkrak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 23, 1999
    I want to know the complete history of the Weapons Resistance Officer. :)

12. Nathan_P_Butler

May 23, 2003
    I did make a decision on what goes and what stays when 2S relaunches on Fanworks. For now, I'm going to keep all the supplemental files. I figure they don't get enough downloads to be a major bandwidth drain, so why not keep 'em?

That also means the Resurrection teaser will go on the Resurrection page, as will the teaser and blooper files for Smuggler's Run.

13. EagleIFilms

EagleIFilms Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2001
    I'm very excited about the 2S PRG suppliment. So much so, in fact, that I'm considering putting off our first game until the suppliment comes out so we can use it in the game.

Oh, and 2S rocks. I just listened to it again last night...actually, I listened to Act III for the first time last night. [face_blush] I've been really busy, okay?! But the whole show is very good.

?Eaglet

14. Nathan_P_Butler

May 23, 2003
    Thanks. :)

As for the RPG supplement, work is very slow on that, and I haven't heard from the Manitoba guys in a while. I'm hoping we're still on. If not, maybe I could just finish it as a text-only sourcebook and leave stats to others. :shrug:

15. Nathan_P_Butler

May 23, 2003
  16. LawgSkrak

Apr 23, 1999
    heard anything else about the Sourcebook Nate?

17. Nathan_P_Butler

May 23, 2003
    Nothing. When things calm down, I'm going to email the guy. I haven't had time to work on it much, though, anyway. I really need to get my text done before contacting them again.

18. Nathan_P_Butler

May 23, 2003
    And update on the RPG sourcebook:

I went through and did some text editing last night and re-read all that I've already written. Now I feel more prepared to start writing again.

Right now, my to-do list is, in no particular order:

Credits Page
    Ferri'sol History (in Ferri'sol section)
    Citadel Info
    3 Main Character Profiles
    3 Minor Character Profiles
    7 Planet Profiles
    2 Ship Specifications
    1 Location to Add
    FlashDeath Chapter
    11 Anthology Character Profiles
    4 Anthology Location Profiles
    1 Anthology Ship Profile
    Revise and Update Storyline Timeline
    Add More Series Artwork to Final Appendix
    Decide Whether to Include Parallels Info
    Finish Making Changes From Last Night's Copy Editing

I got an email back from Alan today, and he says that the D6 stats are almost all done and tested. That'll leave stats for characters and situations not yet profiled and then the D20 information. I'd tenatively say that we will probably see the sourcebook done by this summer.

In the meantime, here's a preview:

Klo?pa?deen (Lt. Commander)
    New Republic Special Operations,
    Valkan?s Rayzurs

The Rayzur known as ?Klope,? more properly referred to by his full name ?Klo?pa?deen,? hails from the planet Jirax Ika.

Born seventy-three years before the assault on Ferri?sol, Klo?pa?deen spent much of his life in the Republic era as an artist. In this respect, he was a ?Jiraxikan of all trades,? learning arts such as the Jiraxikan martial art of Shidyo, numerous musical instruments (including his first love, the eight-string lyris), and various other creative pursuits. His last painting, Third Moon Alone, hangs in the Jiraxikan Fine Arts Museum on Jirax Ika.

During the years of the Clone Wars, Klo?pa?deen was a peace advocate, stressing neutrality in the conflict, but was forced to join the struggle on the side of the Republic when the Confederacy of Independent Systems decimated several Jiraxikan provinces for failure to turn over crucial minerals to the desperate Separatist commander, Shalek Got. Not surprisingly, the gentle, wise, and deeply spiritual Klo?pa?deen?s first kill was Shalek Got himself.

The assassination of Got took place at the same time that Republic forces were also attempting to capture or kill the Separatist underling, but Klo?pa?deen got to the man first. The struggle between him and Got was intense, but the Jiraxikan won the day, in more ways than one. He was taken into custody for debriefing, but rather than being punished for impeding a Republic operation, he was recruited into the Republic?s special operations division.

As the Republic became the Empire, Klope was forced out of his military position, but found a similar posting with the Rebel Alliance, leading him to remain in the organization through the creation of the New Republic, when he was assigned to Jaren Valkan?s Special Ops team, the Rayzurs.

As one of the Rayzurs, Klo?pa?deen acted as a spiritual center for the team, often acting as a personal advisor to Jaren on personal issues.

At the age of seventy-three, Klo?pa?deen took part in his final mission.

(Rest of profile deals with the events of Second Strike itself.)

The sourcebook so far, by the way, is 34 pages, with an introduction, six chapters, and three appendices, and it covers Second Strike, Doubts Cast, Dreamscape, The Mob, Addiction, and Responsibility. It may eventually include Parallels, Parts I - III as well.

19. Nathan_P_Butler

May 23, 2003
    ::scratches the editing off the list::

I'm also going to put up a news bytes in a little bit to tease with the front and back cover images.

20. Nathan_P_Butler

May 23, 2003
    Rejoice! The prequel story "Responsibility" is done and will be out Nov. 1.

21. Nathan_P_Butler

May 23, 2003
    The prequel story, Responsibility, is now available, as is a special preview edition of the Second Strike RPG Sourcebook! You can find both at starwarsfanworks.com.

22. LawgSkrak

Apr 23, 1999
    Hey I liked the little nod to Lawg Skrak and NO WAY OUT in the Anthology section of the Sourcebook.

Brought a smile to me face.

:)

23. Nathan_P_Butler

May 23, 2003
    Might as well tie it together, right?

24. LawgSkrak

Apr 23, 1999
    Nathan,

I put in a request for artists for the Sourcebook for you at SWAG (Star Wars Artists Guild). Hopefully you'll get some replies.

Oh and I was wonderng if you were going to need a Lawg Skrak entry for the Anthology section of the Sourcebook. And if you'd want ot write it yourself? That would be cool with me as long as I got to proofread it.

I would also want "Lawg Skrak property of Sean N. Koury. Used with permission" to appear on the title page (Or wherever it is you give thanks and stuff).

Let me know.

25. Nathan_P_Butler

May 23, 2003
    Sweet. We just nabbed the extremely talented Tom Hodges to do some art, along with Gregory Harbin and perhaps another girl who emailed me recently. Looks like we'll be able to get this thing nicely illustrated by the time of release.

I'm working now to go through the eight scripts and pick out areas and characters of further interest for write-ups. Once all the writing-up is done, I'll do a few more full edits, then start filling in d6 stats, while letting the guild guys do the really complex d6 evolutions.

I'm still hoping for a release in late summer 2004, but I really want this to sort of be my final "magnum opus" that ties my six stories together. With my stepping back from the SWT-G to go quarterly in 2004 and ChronoRadio bi-monthly, I think this and Fanworks can sort of be the legacy of my fan audio work. Whether or not I ever write and mix another full-fledged audio drama is still up in the air, but if I do, it won't be for a long, long time. I've said what I've wanted to say, and had great opportunities from it, and now I want to help perpetuate the fan audio community, rather than dominating it by quantity (and, hopefully, quality in the past as well).

::end self-exploration::

As for Skrak, other than that one comment in the Vatil profile, I wasn't intending on it. Eventually, I'm considering right now, given how fun the sourcebook has been, the possibility of creating a sort of fan audio-based version of the old West End Games Adventure Journal, which would allow for profiles on later episodes of Anthology, other audio dramas, and so forth. But that'd be a long time coming, and that's where I'd want to include Skrak if you wanted to. Right now, the sourcebook's only mention of Skrak will be in that Vatil thing, since you used Vatil in No Way Out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.