main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Official Sequel Trilogy Thread: What? When? How? Who? Discuss all here.

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Anakin's Daddy, Nov 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anakin's Daddy

Anakin's Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Aug 13, 2002
    I know a third trilogy has been talked about to death, but this is the first article I have seen about it in a long time. Thoughts?

This article was posted on October 25, 2010
    Source: http://www.digitaltrends.com/entertainment/lucas-working-on-star-wars-sequel-trilogy/

A new rumor suggests that Lucas is planning to film a new Star Wars sequel trilogy once the original films have aired in 3D.

A few years ago, the rumor that George Lucas was working on a true sequel to Star Wars would have been enough for nerds to do their best ninja impressions in order to sneak into Skywalker Ranch to look for even the slightest morsel of confirmation. A crumpled piece of paper with the words ?Episode VII? could have sent a wing of Comic-Con fans to the hospital in rapturous seizures of joy, while an unpublished outline would have given fans a heart attack on the spot. But that was in a world where Jar Jar Binks did not exist. It would have been an elegant rumor, for a more civilized time.

A new report from the website IESB.net claims that Lucas is working on a trilogy of sequels that will take place long after the events of Return of the Jedi, and would not feature the original cast (with the possible exception of the droids, although that is just a guess). The movies might be episodes 7, 8, and 9, or they could be further in the future, meaning that they might just as easily begin with episode 10, or episode 22.

Since IESB first reported the rumor, the site has been down and back up several times due to a massive traffic surge. Either that or Grand Admiral Lucas sent the Imperial lawyers to deal with the rebel scum, and the fighting has moved to the servers. While this might seem like just another rumor in the long history of rumors, it should be noted that IESB was the website that first printed the rumor of Joss Whedon directing The Avengers, as well as several casting and industry related scoops. They claim their source is 100-percent certain of the story, so while it may be a rumor, it is likely a rumor that all parties involved truly believe, and not just wishful thinking that somebody made up.

Fans of the series will no doubt remember that Lucas originally saw Star Wars as a nine-part series of movies. Back when the Special Edition Star Wars films were being re-released and rumors began to circulate that Lucas was working on a new trilogy, it was originally unclear whether or not he was writing the prequels or sequels, and speculation was rampant. Obviously it turned out to be the prequels, but the idea of a trilogy of sequels has never gone away.

Lucas currently has his plate full milking his franchises. A fifth Indiana Jones movies is reportedly just a matter of time, the Star Wars live-action TV show has been delayed but not forgotten, and the original six Star Wars films are being 3D-ized for annual theatrical re-releases beginning in 2012. If the rumor is true, the next batch of Star Wars films might then hit theaters after Return of the Jedi 3D is released, so possibly sometime in 2018.

IESB?s sources claim that Lucas wants to create a new story within the Star Wars universe, most likely without any Skywalker characters (or possibly just a loosely connected descendant), but he views the current Skywalker storyline as officially finished. If he remains consistent, Lucas will finance the films himself, which would be a fairly easy way to earn several hundreds of millions of dollars for himself, but the report claims he is motivated more by the creative success of The Clone Wars and the Star Wars video games, as well as James Cameron?s Avatar, which Lucas is said to have loved.

Lucasfilm has denied that the possibility of a new set of movies, but that is no surprise. If this does happen, it is still several years away. So here?s to another decade or so discussing Star Wars rumors!

2. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    ...IIIiiiii dooonnn't knoooooowwwww...[face_thinking]

By the time the first installment in this new trilogy is in theaters and an Episode VIII is in production, Lucas will be, what-in his 70's? Seems kinda pushing it to me...

Although if this DOES turn out, I will be MOST excited!;)

3. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    I can sense a point of view of whoever wrote this ;). Because Lucas definitely does exactly what he wants and how he wants, I wouldn't say this was impossible. Altough considering everything Lucasfilm is already doing, this decade would be too close for a release date.

Was it IESB who had the first rumour of Seth Green's Star Wars show (whatever their name was for it then, and what I remember they said it would be for pre-schoolers)? If it was, I wouldn't shrug this rumour off so fast.

Definitely good time to be a Star Wars fan.

4. fire_medic29

fire_medic29 Jedi Youngling

Oct 13, 2010
    I would personally love to see new Star Wars movies. That being said, I believe it would be hard to have an episode 7-9 sequelling 4-6. The one thing Lucas has tried to do is keep the expanded universe of books and such in play. The expanded universe has covered the events following episode 6 with those characters extensively. That however would not prevent LucasFilm from making another Star Wars film starting at another point, maybe long before episode I?

Either way, rumors are great! And I fully expect to see all the movies in 3D when they are released.

5. ILuvJarJar

ILuvJarJar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 19, 2008
    I am mixed about my faith in new films being made.

I mean, I'd love a sequel trilogy, but not enough for a bunch of half-***ed movies that would ruin the rest of the saga.

The PT was about Anakin's story.

The OT was arguably about Luke's story.

The sequel trilogy would most likely be about Ben Skywalker and the Solo kids.

And think about it, after the special editions of the OT, TPM came out 2 years later.

Since the 3D versions of the 6 films will end in 2017, it is very possible that by 2019 the sequel trilogy could be out or at least being worked on.

It's a cycle. Just like the movies, George creates a cycle, very much like poetry.

6. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I'm tellin' ya,

an Old Republic prequel would be WAY better...something over 1000 years before TPM. The Sith war or something-new characters, new storyline, same Star Wars universe-with a bit more primitive looking ships and whatnot, and different colored lightsabers!

It could be amazing!

7. Anakin's Daddy

Aug 13, 2002
    At this point I think anything is possible. Episode 7, or a pre-prequel like DARTH_BELO suggested above. I suppose this rumor could have also been confused with plans for the live action show. Either way, I'm sure we'll get more Star Wars.

8. Chance the Jedi

Chance the Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 25, 2005
    I'd love that, but don't you think that would be forcing a couple of non-diehard Star Wars fans or just movie-goers in general... to read, learn, and delve into some EU to know what the hell would be going on?

9. CoruscantSunset

CoruscantSunset Jedi Youngling

Dec 1, 2010
    I think it's possible. I'm pretty dubious though. Hopefully the prequels will have him on this toes and he'll work really hard on maintaining the...spirit of the OT. Not that the PT was "bad", per se. But I felt like he took advantage of my loyalty as a fan and assumed that I would willingly allow myself to be spoon-fed something that, in my opinion, felt more like a cheap rip-off of Star Wars. I loved TPM, but the two movies after that were super-disappointing.

I am still a diehard fan though, so I am still excited by the prospect, but just keeping my excitement in check in case there's more disappointment in store.

I would like to see a prequel, I guess, as others have mentioned taking place waaay back in the past.

That article thing said he doesn't want it to about the Skywalkers and I agree. I would like to see a movie about something new and exciting. Personally, I think that Lucas has already attacked the poor, beleaguered Skywalker clan enough.

KotOR really made me want to see a movie made about the Old Republic. I think that would work out best for him.

10. Chance the Jedi

Chance the Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 25, 2005
    But don't you think most of the Star Wars universe centers around the Skywalkers in some shape or form? In my opinion, I think it wouldn't be a complete Star Wars movie without a Skywalker or just atleast a mention of the Skywalkers in it.

11. CoruscantSunset

CoruscantSunset Jedi Youngling

Dec 1, 2010

I wouldn't be upset if the new movies were about the Skywalkers. I mean, yes, they are central to the movie-verse and in some ways I'm not even sure how he could make new movies without them, since a lot of average moviegoers know nothing of the EU.

Basically what I'm saying is, I personally am not that interested in a movie about the Skywalker children. I read about them and I'm satisfied with that. Would I see a set of movies about them? Hell yeah, I would! And I would probably enjoy them, but if I were in charge of making another set of SW movies would they be about them? No.

There is just so much available to work with. The universe is so huge the movies could be about a hundred thousand different topics and I'd probably be happy.

12. ida_dida

ida_dida Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 16, 2010
    I wouldnt like new movies... [face_tired] i hope he doesnt make them.

13. Axle-Starweilder

Axle-Starweilder Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 6, 2005
    maybe if he makes some new star wars movies then people will start posting here again.

14. Sabertrader

Sabertrader Jedi Master star 1

Jul 28, 2002
    This is certainly a tantalizing prospect, if it proves to be fact.

Given the richness and utter complexity of the EU, a sequel seems like it might be tricky...unless it was set far enough out of the EU's exisiting timeline to not cause issues. I can't feature George adapting any of the EU series to film. As brilliant as the Thrawn trilogy is, I don't think it would necessarily make great film, and you'd just about have to do it in CG I'd think...

I'm also on board with some Old Republic films. As another poster said, KOTOR gets the juices flowing, and some HIGH quality characters like what were in the first KOTOR would make for some compelling stuff.

15. QUIGONMIKE

QUIGONMIKE Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2009
    I totally agree. After the redemption of Anakin, which is REALLY what Star Wars was originally about, what the hell else are they gonna do at this point? Fight another big battle against some other bad guy? To me, the original character set and storyline ends at ROTJ and I dont know if I want anymore than that. I mean, yeah, Han and Leia have kids and all that and I have read several of the post ROTJ novels which are cool. But, to me, the intrigue is in what happens before TPM.

Like Darth Bane, the creation of the republic, Sith mythology, Anakin being created. Whatever. Id rather have another set of prequels. They dont have to be 1000 years prior. Even if they just cover Mace Windu, Yoda, and Palpatines stories - Id be OK with that. Plus, they also dont have to worry about getting Harison Ford and all them back.

16. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    I don't see it happening. I also hope it doesn't. I'm content with the classic trilogy (the prequels were a mistake.)

17. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    Actually, SW was originally about "The Adventures of Luke Skywalker." Anakin's redemption wasn't part of SW until the 3rd or 4th draft of RotJ.

As far as what they could be about:

and

18. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Until George Lucas drops dead (& probably far beyond that), rumours of a third SW trilogy (or 'the' third SW trilogy of Eps VII-IX) will surface regularly, based on absolutely nothing.

It's my opinion that there will be more feature films, but they'll be tangential to the six episode Saga, & won't necessarily be organised in trilogies.
    If & when the live action TV series happens, it'll probably be accompanied by a feature release to launch it, just as they did with TCW, or possibly when the series finishes they'll make a couple of features to tie things up, or keep it going.
    GL himself has made mention of the remote possibility of a feature about the "Old, Old Republic", a film about the early days of Yoda is also a popular rumour.

However, these films won't be continuations of the story told in Episodes I-VI, they'll just be additional stories set in the GFFA, most likely not even written by GL. Yes, GL once had plans for a third trilogy set after the events of ROTJ, but it's been written out of existence by the way he eventually did the PT, which created a six-episode story arc completely wrapped up in ROTJ (along with the three-episode Luke story arc, also wrapped up in ROTJ). There just aren't any loose ends to tie up, the ending of ROTJ is basically, "They all lived happily ever after", whether you're focusing on Luke or Anakin.

Whatever ideas GL had for Eps VII-IX (mentioned above & in other threads), I imagine his attitude towards this third trilogy is much the same as Tolkien's attitude towards his abandoned sequel to Lord of The Rings, titled 'The New Shadow':

? The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien, Letter 256

19. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    I'll agree that as of now it looks like GL is in the "no go" stage.

This is where we'll have to agree to disagree. Anakin's arc is complete, but Luke's isn't. Anakin's story was to destroy the Sith, while Luke's story is to save the galaxy and restore the Jedi. Luke's story is at the point Anakin's was at the end of RotS - it shows Luke's choices but doesn't show the consequences and aftermath. The "loose ends" are the fact that only 1 Jedi exists and the Empire still exists. So, everything is not "happily ever after" at this point. The loose ends have to deal with the outcome of Luke's choices.

That is why a 9 episode (3 trilogy) saga is structurally perfect in my opinion. 1-3 is about Anakin's growth and choices and how they affect the galaxy, 4-6 reveals the aftermath of Anakin's choices and how Luke's growth and choices affect the galaxy, and 7-9 would reveal the aftermath of Luke's choices - at which point the galaxy could be at peace and happily ever after. Anakin and Luke would each have 6 episodes bridged by the overlapping middle trilogy.

20. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Somebody call Mark Hamill and ask him if this is in the works. :p

21. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    Those themes are already part of the PT.

22. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    ^ And they're already part of the OT too.

23. Anakin's Daddy

Aug 13, 2002
    Agreed! I wrote a premise for a new trilogy, where the training of new Jedi was a central element to the story. Luke also learns the reality of his dark history (his father slaughtered younglings, killed his mother, etc.) and Luke goes through an immense struggle. He is the head of the new Jedi Council and has the weight of the galaxy on his shoulders.

Also, the Empire is not really yet destroyed. The Empire, Vader and the Death Star are, but the Empire is still at large, scattered throughout the galaxy. What Luke needs to do is organize the Rebels/Jedi which are now working together to somehow gain control. I think there is a really awesome story to tell in a sequel trilogy.

I have a scene in my head where the final shot of episode 9 would be an old Luke sitting at the head of a new Jedi council on Coruscant right where Yoda used to sit... well in a bigger chair! The camera would pan out the window of the Jedi Tower, up, up into space where you can see the whole planet, then it keeps panning further and further back showing the entire galaxy and ending the saga!

24. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Fake.

25. shanerjedi

shanerjedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 17, 2010
    I think new films are a definite possibility.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.