The Official Social Thread V2.0

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by The-Matt-Man, Jun 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: AdamBertocci
  1. The-Matt-Man Jedi Master

star 4
    What is my favorite type of monkey?

If a Lemur counts, I personally like the Lemur. Maybe a squirrell monkey also. Those are just funny!

I dunno, If you could combine the energetic appeal of a monkey, with all the smooth, "I'm a frickin' bum and I get away with it!" coolness of a penguin, you'd have a mighty spiffy animal...a mighty ugly animal, but a mighty spiffy animal!

-Matt
  2. AWB1989 Force Ghost

star 5
  3. Darth_Obstreperous Jedi Master

star 4
    W000T! My Trogdor shirt is on its way!

And my OCRemix shirt is too if you know happen to know what that is...
  4. 20x6 Force Ghost

star 4
    If a Lemur counts, I personally like the Lemur

I lived on Madagascar for a while and we had a pet lemur. It was pretty cool except it kept peeing on one of the guy's shoulders. We never did give it a name. We just called it the monkey.
  5. Sage_Halcyon Jedi Master

star 4
    20x6: THAT'S one of the most disturbing things I've heard in a while. And I hang out in the chatroom, so that's really saying something...

Sage H.
  6. drippyzeo Jedi Master

star 4
    I'll one up 20x6: I'm FROM Madagascar. What part did you live in?
  7. tumblemoster Jedi Master

star 4
    Wanna here something extremely funny? My cable modem providers have this greeting message on their tech support help-line:

"If you are experiencing connection problems, such as a slow connection, or have lost your connection completely, please visit our online customer support center at [blah blah blah]."

I think idiots probably run the world...

-tm
  8. DarthArjuna Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Don't worry, thay do.

Chris: scariest article I've ever seen. I'm pretty sure I'm not exaggerating there.

THANK YOU DORKMAN! [face_love]
  9. Darth_Redicolous Jedi Master

star 3
    About downloading movies and music.

I don't know about the laws in the USA, but
    here, in Sweden, it is legal to download both movies and music. But it isn't legal to share it.

The government is probably going to change it and make it illegal to download every copyrighted media. In short that means it will be illegal to download fan films that uses copyrighted material. And that sucks! :mad:
  10. DarthArjuna Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Well, technically, it's illegal here to (methinks). But George Lucas isn't pressing the issue as long as nobody makes money off of it.
  11. AWB1989 Force Ghost

star 5
    Argh! I posted this already, and TFN stopped loading, I hit back and lost my text. :(

Anyway.

Well, technically, it's illegal here to (methinks). But George Lucas isn't pressing the issue as long as nobody makes money off of it.

If some idiot/s takes our work/s and sell/s it, I don't think GL will make as big a deal out of it as we. What else will keep Star Wars alive after 2005? (Rhyme unintentional.)
  12. Raptor386 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Hacking exemption my butt... They would never allow the industry to hack into suspected pirate computers. And even if they did, it's nearly impossible to hack into a personal pc if it has the most recent security updates (without the use of a trojan, which any good geek could catch). And even if they could, they would have to watch who they are hacking, so they don't hack a computer in another country (assuming that country isn't very friendly to cyber terrorism, which basicly what it is). Even then, a pirate could simply patch through a foreign proxy to avoid being detected as inside the country. It's a crazy idea cooked up by a computer illiterate politician. And we all know how smart politicians are. ;)

If they really want to do something, they can try to shut down the matchmaking servers used in P2P programs. But even then, another one will inevitably pop up someplace.

But that's just me... :)

"If you are experiencing connection problems, such as a slow connection, or have lost your connection completely, please visit our online customer support center at [blah blah blah]."

ROFL!
  13. Janz_Walker Jedi Master

star 4
    On the downloading music angle... having little creme filled centers in some of the mp3s that you download illegally I think should happen. And here's why:

1. It isnt' the government doing it. It would be the RIAA.

2. Some hacker out there is going to program a countermeasure sooner or later anyway after this technology is rolled out

3. Downloading music is illegal. It's fairly black and white. Low dot-pitch resolution, here. The RIAA is justified in doing what it can to stave off piracy, as long as it doesn't interfere with people's rights.

4. Mp3 bombs don't interfere with people's rights. It's like going to the shopping mall around Christmastime with a nice big gift-wrapped box of cow dung in your back seat. Leave the car unlocked, hang out far away and wait for someone to steal the package, then get in the car and drive off before the idiot realizes what hit him.

BTW.. for you hyperspace users, here's a couple of interesting web captures:

6-18-03 12:44 - Double Saber returns for EP3
    6-18-03 12:32 - Nick Gilliard? gets it on
    6-18-03 12:50 - Gilliard? mug shot
    6-18-03 12:57 - Saber Closet
    6-18-03_11:45 - George Looks on
    6-18-03 11:45 - George looks on some more
    6-16-03 11:55 - Kid tackles guy sitting on ball
    6-13-03 7.07 - Obiwan mug shot
  14. AWB1989 Force Ghost

star 5
    Raptor386: All I could think of that they could do is to nationalize P2P stuff, and embed a file into everything downloaded from P2P software. That file then opened could like automatically overheat the motherboard, CPU, sound card, video card, RAM, etc. to a spectacular degree....

But then hackers would, without opening the file, isolate the file, and put it on the net.

I say whoever proposed that is an idiot who wants to scare people. Which is actually good, because that will get SOME people to stop using warez before any more is done.
  15. 20x6 Force Ghost

star 4
    I'll one up 20x6: I'm FROM Madagascar. What part did you live in?

Manahoana! I was in Antananarivo. Our house was in Andrundra Kele (sp?) What part are you from? Never mind, I'll PM you.

Veloma
  16. Raptor386 Jedi Knight

star 1
    AWB Man: The thing is, I don't think there is a way that an mp3 could execute any code at all (unless there was a HUGE security hole in the media player used to play the mp3). If you look at all the virus types, they all have the capability of executing code (MS word files have macros, web pages have javascript, etc.) It's hard enough to get an executable to burn out a motherboard/processor, let alone a virus embedded in an mp3. A software application can only control hardware to a certain degree. Most motherboards these days have a function called 'soft fsb' it lets a software application change the fsb(front-side bus) settings and processor voltage settings without having to enter the bios. The virus can amp up these settings, but only to a certain degree, and certaily not enough to cause immediate damage. The affected computer will run a little hotter, be a little more unstable, but also run up to 3 times faster... It's more like doing the pirate a favor.
    But that's just me... ;)

I totally agree that they are just trying to scare people. It's not the first time they have brought this topic up...
  17. Janz_Walker Jedi Master

star 4
    The bomb would probably more realistically just wipe out the master boot record. Not destroy the bios.
  18. The-Matt-Man Jedi Master

star 4
  19. Zelmo Jedi Knight

star 3
    Can they even detect if you use a program with a pirated serial number?
  20. AWB1989 Force Ghost

star 5
    Can they even detect if you use a program with a pirated serial number?

Can they make an OS that does that?
  21. Janz_Walker Jedi Master

star 4
    I think Windows XP proved that false. :)
  22. Zelmo Jedi Knight

star 3
    Was Windows XP supposed to do that?
  23. 20x6 Force Ghost

star 4
    Originally XP wasn't going to support mp3s, only Windows Media files. I guess they figured everyone would download WinAmp, so at the last minute they configured mp3 playback into the system. At least I think that's the story.
  24. Zelmo Jedi Knight

star 3
    Yeah, but I'm talking about programs, how's the government supposed to know if you downloaded a program and serial number and used it?
  25. Zelmo Jedi Knight

star 3
    Yeah, but how is the government supposed to know if you just downloaded the setup application of a program and are using a pirated serial number?

Edit- Argh!!! Double Post.
Moderators: AdamBertocci
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.