The Official Social Thread V2.0

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by The-Matt-Man, Jun 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: AdamBertocci
  1. AWB1989 Force Ghost

star 5
    Yeah, but I'm talking about programs, how's the government supposed to know if you downloaded a program and serial number and used it?

They could create a way to track what the people's serial numbers are, I'd bet. If it's used more than once, it's illegal. They then figure out who legally owns it, if anybody. Fine the illegalists.
  2. Zelmo Jedi Knight

star 3
    Who would be getting punished, the original owner or the people who use it?

If it's only the original owner, then piracy will never be brought to a halt, because there will always be someone who thinks he can beat the system.
  3. AWB1989 Force Ghost

star 5
    Who would be getting punished, the original owner or the people who use it?

I said the illegalists. Is that a word? At any rate, the people to be fined would be the people downloading illegal copies of it. The owner could get a small fine too for sharing it illegally with everyone, though.
  4. Zelmo Jedi Knight

star 3
    IMO, with regard to all types of media, the one who shares it (the original owner), should be punished most.
  5. AWB1989 Force Ghost

star 5
    IMO, with regard to all types of media, the one who shares it (the original owner), should be punished most.

I disagree.

I don't think this applies to anything, but music, but correct me if I'm wrong.

With music, you have the right to distribute up to $1000 worth of it every 6 months, provided nobody profits from it, except the store/musician/etc.
  6. Zelmo Jedi Knight

star 3
    With music, you have the right to distribute up to $1000 worth of it every 6 months, provided nobody profits from it, except the store/musician/etc.

Can you run that by me again?
  7. AWB1989 Force Ghost

star 5

Can you run that by me again?

Click here.

Go to page 13 of the .PDF that is labeled page 9. In the middle paragraph:

Nor does the No Electronic Theft Act ("NET Act") prohibit the activity at issue here. 17 U.S.C. § 506. This Act sets a threshold of $1000 in retail value on the amount of permissible copying within a 180-day period, a threshold that most Napster users are unlikely to exceed. More importantly, the act only bars willful infringement, not just copying. Act expressly provides that "evidence of reproduction or distribution of a copyrighted work, by itself, shall not be sufficient to establish willful infringement." Id.
  8. Zelmo Jedi Knight

star 3
    So what would be the problem with the person downloading it?
  9. AWB1989 Force Ghost

star 5
    So what would be the problem with the person downloading it?

First of all, they tend to sell copies of it, which is illegal. Also, if you're one who obtained a copy of it, I don't think you have the right to copy $1000 worth of that.

Secondly, people probably copy more than $1000 worth of it every 180 days.

Also, people tend to copy movies, and software. I think this only applies for music.

EDIT: This was back when Napster was "going' on." Since then, piracy has increased greatly.
  10. Zelmo Jedi Knight

star 3
    So, you're saying, that if I were to download 10 songs in 6 months from albums that I don't own, and just use the songs for personal use, that would be legal?
  11. The-Matt-Man Jedi Master

star 4
    Have any of you been to Sea World?

I live in Orlando, and that's pretty close to Sea World.

Now, most people think that because I've lived in Orlando my whole life, I must have been to the local theme parks hundreds of times. That's not entirely true. My family wasn't always as well to do as we are now, and I didn't always have a job, so I haven't been as many times as some would like to think.

However, for the last five or six years, I've gone to a theme park four to six times annually. This is either caused by relatives coming over and wanting to go, or friends deciding they need a really expensive thing to do, or a birthday party for a kid who's neer been to a theme park who I won't see the whole night anyway, or church group get togethers.

Last year I went to Busch Gardens four times, Universal studios once, Islands of Adventure (probably the most fun) once, sea world once and Epcot once (don't go to Epcot unless you find large arcades and educational rides fun....).

Year before, Bush Gardens more times than I care to get out, as well as Universal, and various Disney and Annhuiser Busch parks for years before that.

I ought to just work for Busch Gardens, but it's in Tampa, and I'm an hour and a half away from there.

Anyone ever been to 'Rock the Unverse' or 'Night of Joy'? Lots of good Christian music artists. The OC Supertones rock it out big! Any good theme parks you guys go to too often that people assume you live at?

-Matt

Edit: Oops. Got on a tangent. Sea Worlds pretty neato! The seals and penguins rock!

Edit2: Gave into AWB's nit picking...
  12. AWB1989 Force Ghost

star 5
    So, you're saying, that if I were to download 10 songs in 6 months from albums that I don't own, and just use the songs for personal use, that would be legal?

That's what 17 U.S.C. § 506 is saying, I believe. Well, provided the original owner hadn't already distributed $1000 worth in those 180 days. (Not 6 months, but almost!)
  13. AWB1989 Force Ghost

star 5
    Have any of you been to Sea World.

Yes... when I was like 8 or 9 or something. When I was in Orlando, I also went to Universal Studios and saw T2:3D. :D I also went to Disney World.

As a side note, you really need to work on separating your posts into multiple paragraphs for better reading, The-Matt-Man. :p
  14. The-Matt-Man Jedi Master

star 4
    Sad thing is. It's really hard for a band to get a start now unless they date another celebrity or lose on American Idol. My younger brother has a band, and he's having problems trying to market himself. Wish I could help him out, but I have my own problems. You guys should really try advertizing the bands you're stealing from. It's the nice thing to do, since you're already doing the wrong thing :D

-Matt

Edit: This post has absolutely nothing to do with Sea World, although, I think my brother has a song about Shamu!
  15. drippyzeo Jedi Master

star 4
    AWB-lemme know when you get out of law school. I'll hire you. :D
  16. AWB1989 Force Ghost

star 5
    I've decided that I dislike sticky threads now.

It went from 63 posts to 60 to 62 to 60 to 63. Ugh.

Earlier it went from 53 to 51 to 47 to 52 to 51 back to 53.

I'm teh scared.

AWB-lemme know when you get out of law school. I'll hire you.

Law school? I don't think I'm going there. Speaking of which, my father attended Yale.

35th post today! :p

EDIT #2: Edit: This post has absolutely nothing to do with Sea World, although, I think my brother has a song about Shamu!

I remember getting a popsicle shaped like Shamu when I was at Sea World....
  17. Zelmo Jedi Knight

star 3
    AWB, you're in law school, and you can still spend so much time here? That's teh impressive.

Oh, and Matt-Man, neither AWB or myself is stealing, we're just discussing the issue, neither of us uses p2p aplications. (I think I speak for AWB when I say that.)

EDIT- Oh, you're not in law school.
    EDIT2- Ditto about the sticky threads.
  18. AWB1989 Force Ghost

star 5
    (I think I speak for AWB when I say that.)

You do speak for AWB when you say that.

Matter or irrelevance:

What, besides your name, can your initials stand for?

AWB = Auto White Balance. :p

EDIT: Edit2: Gave into AWB's nit picking...

:D
  19. Zelmo Jedi Knight

star 3
    AWB = Auto White Balance.

WTF?

(We all know what those initials stand for, don't we?)
  20. Chris_F Force Ghost

star 4
  21. Chris_F Force Ghost

star 4
    That wasn't as fun as I thought it would be.
  22. AWB1989 Force Ghost

star 5
    Why the heck would you BUMP a sticky?

Let's see what BUMP means.

BUMP = Bring Up My Post
  23. JEDIBYKNIGHT Jedi Master

star 4
    Funny YOU should say that... [face_plain]

I just wanted to say I don't like this being a sticky thread. That's all.
  24. The-Matt-Man Jedi Master

star 4
    Oh. I thought AWB stood for 'A'merican 'W'eeny 'B'oy

("I'm not a weeny boy, you are!", "Shut up Weeny boy!")

Just kidding AWB, I'm sure it stands for 'A'trocious 'W'hite 'B'utt, or something weird like that.

I didn't say you were stealing. I'm just saying, if you are, you need to give credit to the person you're stealing from. They obviously made something so good that you were posessed to steal it for some reason instead of getting a job and paying for it yourself, thus benefiting the economy just that much!

-Matt
  25. 20x6 Force Ghost

star 4
    I got it Chris. Made me laugh. :D
Moderators: AdamBertocci
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.