main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Official Social Thread V2.0

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by The-Matt-Man, Jun 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Obstreperous

Darth_Obstreperous Jedi Master star 4

Jul 14, 2002
    Which of these three should I make my sig?
    [image=http://www.pages.drexel.edu/~mph32/sigs.jpg]

It's for another board, btw.

2. anjofilm

anjofilm Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 2, 2004
    Which of these three should I make my sig?

Use the middle one. ;)

3. GeneralSkywalker

GeneralSkywalker Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2002
    I like #3. And about KB3, is this true? Any chance it'll be made? And does anybody know what kind of a movie Inglorious Bastards is going to be? I heard it's a black comedy.

-GS

4. Tempestjonny

Tempestjonny Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2002
    The middle one. you can see a great big black line around your guy on thebottom one. you can see it on the middle one too but if you don'tlook for it (aka you've seen it on the third one) you wont notice it.

on another note, i've just come back form a LAn gaming weekend. On there i shared my fan film files and managed to turn a few people into fan film fans. i also found someone who had the clips of tumble mosters cable tricks. he had never seen a fan film at all. where he got it is beond me. we were also playing galactic conquest (a battlefield 1942 mod of star wars) while acting out the parts from the films. I was red 3 :p

5. DarthArjuna

DarthArjuna Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 14, 2002
    The first one, though darken Master Cheif just a bit. I had to look real close to make out the outline (reversed shot of the Halo 2 trailer, very nice).

Halo teh pwnz.

I just got a capture card so I can make Halo machinima films, similar to Red vs. Blue.

6. DeadEyesSmiling

DeadEyesSmiling Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 4, 2003
    Inglorious Bastards is a war epic.

-DeadEyesSmiling

7. Tempestjonny

Aug 6, 2002
    red vs blue kicks....butt. so many people have tried to copy it and failed. like re vs teal. i wish i hadn't waisted my harddrive on that junk. the episode they released for april fools is soo good i neally cryed.

8. FigChrystie

FigChrystie Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 12, 2004
    The first episodes of RvB were the best, thought, where no one knew about them and they could cuss and stuff.

9. Darth_Obstreperous

Darth_Obstreperous Jedi Master star 4

Jul 14, 2002
    Lethal Rage 3 was pretty cool. The acting makes it look amaturish, and there are some logic problems, but it's really fun to watch. The camera moves are great and there are lots of little touches that show the director does actually know what he's doing sometimes. Google it.

10. Decapitated-Jango

Decapitated-Jango Jedi Master star 4

May 18, 2002
    I'm on a huge Invader Zim kick.

Anyone else here a fan of the show?

11. Tempestjonny

Aug 6, 2002
    never heard of it.

/pointless post

12. DarthArjuna

DarthArjuna Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 14, 2002
    Red vs. Blue pwnz j00. A friend of mine has to make an instructional video for videography, and we'll be using the Halo engine for some of it.

Ah, springtime... where I can cruise down to my grandma's house in my mom's car, window down, booming Poodle Hat to drop off some tomato puree.

A little different from your typical view of a teenager driving in the spring, eh? The JACQI license plate tops off the ensemble.

13. John2460

John2460 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 29, 2002
    And I thought I was the only one who did that.

14. Tempestjonny

Aug 6, 2002
    On a more glum note, i failed my driveing theroy test for the seccond time 2day. the first time i was 2 points off, the second time (2day) i was one point off

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

So to cheer me up i bought 5 random dvd's because they were on special offer. Black Hawk Down, The Thing, The Mask, Spiderman and The crow. the guy said it was the most varied dvd purchase he'd seen.

15. durbnpoisn

durbnpoisn TFN Staff Cast & Crew Database star 5 VIP

May 20, 2002
    Kill Bill Volume 2. I finally saw it last night. And now I will spew my mind about it.
    Know now that this entire post is spoilers. Don't read it until you've seen the movie.

I must say that I didn't like this one as much as the first. But when you consider that it's really one great big movie, it feels a little weird saying that.
    I just kind of feel that the "rest of the story" that got filled in with this film dragged compared to #1. Granted, knowing the rest of the story rounds ALL the characters out. In a way, I think I almost sympathized with Bill. He did overreact though.
    I liked the black mamba scene. Excellent. I like the fight that ensued. Although, I don't think she should have left Elle alive. She also should have taken the suitcase full of money. Duh!!!

I wanted to see David Caradine fight again. We got very little of that. But, man, he's a damn good actor! I knew there was a reason I liked that guy.

I wanted to see more of the twisted story that left some mystery to it. This movie filled in EVERY single gap - except why they insisted on bleeping her name. That is, when they suddenly revealed her name, I saw absolutely NO point to it.

When I left #1, my imagination was running wild as to how the story came together. So many things I had running through my mind. I'm quite sure now that that's why I was so excited about the first movie! This is a good lesson to learn for aspiring film makers - don't answer all the questions. Giving something to the audience to mull over makes the them enjoy the film so much more - because they think about it for days.

I walked out feeling none of the sense of tension and wonderment that I felt after the first. Why? Because ALL the questions were answered.

It was nice to see how she went about all that training. But there's something wrong with that. The impression that you get from #1 was that it was her sheer determination for revenge that allowed her to fight so well. Like, she spent all that time in the coma learning how to fight. There was absolutely NO mention of any other training whatsoever. So seeing that kinda wrecked part of it for me. Ludicrous as it sounds, I really liked the idea that she was self taught.

And, I SO saw the 5-point exploding heart technique coming. That was done very badly. And, a terribly short fight scene considering it was what the entire movie led up to.

Now the one thing that I think was a weird twist that I forgot about from the first movie. Her daughter. When Kiddo came through the door and there is Bill, and her daughter! I nearly crapped myself. Almost... Except for one BIG thing. Everything about that was completely unbelievable. Being a father, I know. That little girl would have FLIPPED her f'ing noodle at her father being killed - or, assuming she didn't know that - just being taken away from him.
    That's where the movie fell apart. He fired a gun TWICE in the house with the little girl asleep upstairs. She must be a heavy sleeper.
    No discussion about her at all... That whole bonding scene came and went and then the gears switched back into psycho mode...

And how did he raise such a perfectly well adjusted little girl?!? I'm sorry, but that whole thing was smeared with bull****. I didn't like that at all.

So... After all. I think the first part was one of the best films ever done. The 2nd part, while awesome in many ways, paled by comparison.

16. DeadEyesSmiling

Oct 4, 2003
    I think it's actually called the 5 point palm exploding heart technique.

-DeadEyes"being an ass"Smiling

17. WeirdHat

WeirdHat Jedi Master star 3

Jul 28, 2003
    I thought Volume 2 was GREAT. And I didn't like Volume 1. Volume 1 took all these great characters, and just had them fight each other a lot, without telling us anything about them (except O-Ren, which was a weird choice to say the least, I sympathized with her more than with the bride in Volume 1). The main problem IMO is the way the movies were divided. If it had been one movie, I wouldn't be complaining about how there was too much action and not enough character development in Volume 1, and nobody else would be complaining about how there was too much character development and not enough action in Volume 2.

That little girl would have FLIPPED her f'ing noodle at her father being killed - or, assuming she didn't know that - just being taken away from him.

I agree with you there. It's a plot hole.

And how did he raise such a perfectly well adjusted little girl?!?

He was raising her to be a killer. Hence the toy guns, and the Shogun Assassin, and the goldfish.

18. durbnpoisn

May 20, 2002
    I didn't see that Kill Bill 1 was lacking in character development. I saw it more as the characters being left somewhat mysterious. I know it's considered one of the most violent movies of all time. That's now what I liked most about it. What I liked was how the stories were told. Each segment of that movie could have stood on it's own. Yet, they were all related. Extremely good storytelling!

KB2 was very similar in that respect. This movie may suffer in some people's eyes because there was no "88 dudes getting hacked up" scene... But, not me. My complaints are about the plot holes. It's strange how the 2 movies are so different considering that they are essentially one movie split in 2.

I loved the Pai Mei character. Even though they were obviously mocking 70's Kung Fu movies with him. I kinda got annoyed that the theater was laughing the whole time that dude was on screen. Sure, it was amusing, but not 'laugh out loud' funny...

19. darth_paul

darth_paul Jedi Master star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    So what if she was told that he had a heart attack or something? Wouldn't be that far from the truth...

-Paul

20. durbnpoisn

May 20, 2002
    Spoiler:
    You mean as opposed to being scooped up out of her bed in the middle of the night and taken to a dingy hotel by her mother, whom she had never met before that night?
    Because that's what happened.

21. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Whole post spoilers for Kill Bill 2, responding to durb.

Although, I don't think she should have left Elle alive. She also should have taken the suitcase full of money. Duh!!!

Leaving Elle alive was really the best choice for Elle. Remember, Elle was the one who said "She must suffer to her last breath." Kind of appropriate she should be the one who winds up doing so.

She didn't know there was a suitcase full of money. All she saw was a red suitcase among the filth.

I do think she should have started collecting the Hanzo swords, but all she really needed was her own, and I think she probably expected to die facing Bill. She had no plan for after because she didn't know about B.B. yet.

I wanted to see more of the twisted story that left some mystery to it. This movie filled in EVERY single gap - except why they insisted on bleeping her name. That is, when they suddenly revealed her name, I saw absolutely NO point to it.

In the first movie she lacks a name and thus can more easily fit into the role of a ruthless and identity-less killer. In this movie, she's given a name, which humanizes her, in preparation for the more emotional turn the story takes.

When I left #1, my imagination was running wild as to how the story came together. So many things I had running through my mind. I'm quite sure now that that's why I was so excited about the first movie! This is a good lesson to learn for aspiring film makers - don't answer all the questions. Giving something to the audience to mull over makes the them enjoy the film so much more - because they think about it for days.

I completely disagree. When a question isn't answered in a movie, that's poor filmmaking. You don't have to have a character sit down and explain everything, but, with movies like Volume 1 being the rare exception, ALWAYS explain yourself.

It was nice to see how she went about all that training. But there's something wrong with that. The impression that you get from #1 was that it was her sheer determination for revenge that allowed her to fight so well. Like, she spent all that time in the coma learning how to fight. There was absolutely NO mention of any other training whatsoever.

You mean the part about how they all used to be part of an elite assassin squad didn't indicate any training to you?

And, I SO saw the 5-point exploding heart technique coming. That was done very badly. And, a terribly short fight scene considering it was what the entire movie led up to.

The movie was "Kill Bill," not "Fight Bill." ;)

Being a father, I know. That little girl would have FLIPPED her f'ing noodle at her father being killed - or, assuming she didn't know that - just being taken away from him.

You're a father your way, not Bill's way, and your daughter is going to be pretty different from Bill's.

That's where the movie fell apart. He fired a gun TWICE in the house with the little girl asleep upstairs. She must be a heavy sleeper.

Why not? If you've been around gunfire all your life (as we can assume she has), it would cease to grab your attention.

And how did he raise such a perfectly well adjusted little girl?!? I'm sorry, but that whole thing was smeared with bull****. I didn't like that at all.

Bill's pretty well-adjusted, besides being a ruthless killer. He tends to be pretty straightforward with the truth, and it's not inconceivable that he might have let the girl know that if Mommy came back, it would be the last time B.B. saw one of them.

And besides, Bea was "sleeping" all of B.B.'s life. She could just tell the girl "Daddy's asleep now" and I think the girl would shrug and carry on.

M. Scott

22. DeadEyesSmiling

Oct 4, 2003
    Yeah.

DeadEyes"still being an ass"Smiling

23. durbnpoisn

May 20, 2002
    Again - spoilers abound. Beware.

You mean the part about how they all used to be part of an elite assassin squad didn't indicate any training to you?

I only saw the movie once. But, as hard as I try to recall, I didn't see that B was part of that squad. All the others were, obviously, but she didn't even have a codename. For the sake of the movie they called her "the Bride".

She didn't know there was a suitcase full of money. All she saw was a red suitcase among the filth.

Perhaps. But, she saw Elle walk in with the case. She also knew that Bill's brother intended to sell the sword.

I do think she should have started collecting the Hanzo swords, but all she really needed was her own, and I think she probably expected to die facing Bill. She had no plan for after because she didn't know about B.B. yet.

Well, now that's a really good point. Prolly explains why she didn't think about the suitcase.

You don't have to have a character sit down and explain everything, but, with movies like Volume 1 being the rare exception, ALWAYS explain yourself.

Well... I completely dissagree with that. I know what you're saying. But sometimes it's nice to let the mind work a little bit. The alternative is getting bonked on the head with it over and over the way the Matrix movies did. We all know how much loved them. :p

Let me try to explain what I mean by this...
    When I walked out of FOTR, having not ever read the books, my mind was swimming with thoughts about what would happen next - as well as what led up to the current events. And for days I was preoccupied by it. That was a really cool. It gave me some really good stuff to think about. I was almost dissappointed to see the story end finally when the 3rd movie came out.
    This is actually why I started reading the books. :D

The point is, some mystery being there kept my interest piqued. And I really think there's something to that.

The movie was "Kill Bill," not "Fight Bill."

Touche'

Why not? If you've been around gunfire all your life (as we can assume she has), it would cease to grab your attention.

My real point here is that her character was completely forgotten right up until B went a took her away. It felt like there was no transition to the final scene.
    B walked out of the bedroom and Bill went psycho on her. That was that. Maybe just one line of "she's a wonderful child, isn't she?" or something, would have grounded it a bit more for me.

Although, you make an interesting point that it could very well be that Bill already explained to his daughter that this day was coming. Especially since he knew mommy was on her way.

24. anjofilm

anjofilm Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 2, 2004

LMFAO!!!

25. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Spoilers:

I only saw the movie once. But, as hard as I try to recall, I didn't see that B was part of that squad. All the others were, obviously, but she didn't even have a codename.

"This Pasadena homemaker's name is Jeannie Bell. Her husband is Dr. Lawrence Bell. But back when we were acquainted four years ago, her name was Vernita Green. Her codename was Copperhead. Mine, Black Mamba." -- The Bride, Chapter One

"I may never have liked you. Point in fact, I despise you. But that should not imply that I don't respect you. Dying in our sleep is a luxury our kind is rarely afforded. My gift to you." -- Elle, Chapter Two

Bill sent her to the same instructor that he sent Elle to -- and as Elle was clearly part of the team one can assume The Bride (I like that better than her real name, LOL) was too.

She finds out she's pregnant while on assignment to make a hit. She calls herself the deadliest woman in the world, and this prior to the massacre at Two Pines.

It's really a very important point that these were her former teammates that helped screw her over.

Perhaps. But, she saw Elle walk in with the case. She also knew that Bill's brother intended to sell the sword.

She was unconscious when Budd made that call. At least that's how I took it.

Well... I completely dissagree with that. I know what you're saying. But sometimes it's nice to let the mind work a little bit. The alternative is getting bonked on the head with it over and over the way the Matrix movies did. We all know how much loved them.

Like I said. All the answers should BE there. But I do agree that the audience should be allowed to work a few of them out.

Fellowship and Vol. 1 are my favorites in their respective series', for the reason that they create this open ended world, so I do see where you're coming from. But I do think it's important to wrap up the story, just as you would with most single-volume films.

What I liked most about the films is how they were structured like novels. Chapters, explaining things when they're needed...the backstories...it was all so darn LITERARY, and I loved that.

M. Scott

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.