The Official Star by Star discussion thread (Spoilers from EOV and SBS)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by anyueman, Aug 1, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adi_Gallia_9 Chosen One

star 5
    I'm with Senator Lorena about who dies. The whole thing about Chewie's death was to provide character development for Han and to shake up the fans. I doubt they would kill any of his kids because it would undo everything that has happened so far in the NJO to him and that family. As well, I cannot see them killing Ben after he was just born. Mara is a possibilty considering she was not in Luke's visions of the future and Corran or Kyp is a possibility. Wedge could be possibility, but he has hardly been feautred so far and I too have heard that he's in AA's books.

Nen Yim will definately be back, which is good as I enjoyed her scenes. It was suggested she will be in Force Heretic which could make sense, though that book would seem to be about a Jedi.

The spilt in the Vong will definately come into play, hoepfully as early as SbS. Nom Anor will indoubtably have something to do with it; perhaps he will lead a faction of the Shamed Ones against the Vong.
  2. jedi-jeff Jedi Master

star 3
    I think the most likely canidates to be killed off in SbS are Nom Anor, Tsavong Lah, Corran Horn, or Kyp. Killing off one of the Solos or Skywalkers seems unlikely since the tone of the novels is becoming more upbeat, at least for Han, Luke, and their families, and killing one of them off would go against this trend.
  3. Theorizer Jedi Knight

star 1
    I really don't think killing Corran would be a good idea. For one he is the most famous non-Solo or Skywalker Jedi out there.

Sure killing him would make a big impact, but it'd just piss me off and sadden me like when Chewie died.( Funny thing, Vector Prime is the only NJO book I haven't read, I can't bring myself to it)

However I have no quips with killing off Kyp...or maybe Booster Terik, anyone think of him? Maybe the Venture gets blown up.

But enought ranting
  4. Drakh_BountyHunter Jedi Knight

Theorizer, I know EXACTLY how you feel. When I got to the particular chapter, I spent an entire day going "Should I read this?"

Eventually I did, just to see how it happened. But from now on, I'm never reading that chapter again. I might as well glue the pages together.

~Mike
  5. jedi-jeff Jedi Master

star 3
    I wonder if Nen Yim, Shimmra, or Onimi will appear in SbS? I find Shimmra to be very interesting, he seems to be a cross between Palpatine and Jabba the Hutt. Nen Yim will probably be disgusted with his depraved court and the court jester Onimi. I suspect Nen Yim will grow to hate Onimi even more than she does already and plot to kill him.
  6. Dev Sibwarra Jedi Master

star 4
    I suspect that all three will appear. Their part in SbS was written as an introduction to the characters.
  7. jedi-jeff Jedi Master

star 3
    The possible fall of Coruscant in SbS will be the most significant event yet to happen in the NJO series.

I think the ?worldship? that was destroyed in Rebirth was probably a weapon that was to play a critical role in the offensive to capture Coruscant. My guess is that a worldship class ?hull? was being built to function as a large interdictor. The function of this interdictor ?worldship? was to prevent the NR fleet and other ships from leaving the Coruscant system. The NR fleet could then be decisively defeated and a large number of people will be taken captive in order to be turned into slaves or sacrificed to the Gods.

Without the ?mother of all interdictors?, the Yuuzhan Vong will be unable to carry out this plan. Though they still launch an offensive and capture Coruscant, they fail to destroy the NR fleet. Instead of being a great victory, Corscant will become a quagmire that will ultimately lead to disaster for the Yuuzhan Vong. Coruscant is an urban jungle that will be ideal for defense and a nightmare for the Yuuzhan Vong military to conquer and control.

In later books, I suspect Dread Lord Shimrraa will become obsessed with the conquest of Coruscant and this obsession, as usual, will lead to disaster. Shimrraa?s obsession with Coruscant will be not unlike Hitler?s obsession over Stalingrad. Also, with so many troops committed to fighting in the ruins of Coruscant, Peace Brigade forces will be increasingly relied on to defend the flanks of the territory under control of the Yuuzhan Vong. The NR fleet will launch an offensive against the Peace Brigade forces guarding the critcal supply lines for the Yuuzhan Vong forces fighting at Coruscant. The result, like the Soviet offensive at Stalingrad against the unreliable German allies protecting the flanks of the German Sixth Army, the NR fleet will defeat the Peace Brigade and cut the supply lines between the Yuuzhan Vong and the forces now trapped in the Coruscant ?pocket?. The forces encircled at Coruscant, like the German Sixth Army at Stalingrad, will be doomed.
  8. Jedi_Cryix Jedi Knight

This is almost off the topic but has some real relevance for the whole "will they kill mara" thing.

Luke said it was a future that MIGHT have been. The whole point of it was that if he spent too long searching the future to learn what might happen, the events of the present would pass him by. If he wasnt focused and able to help mara in the force, she would have died.

ALL possible futures exist in the force. Do not look there for answers.

Hopefully that clears things up a little
  9. Adi_Gallia_9 Chosen One

star 5
    I doubt they'll kill Mara yet. After she was finally cured, it would be counter-productive to kill her off so quickly. Perhaps later in the NJO she'll die, but I seriously doubt it will be her in SbS.

As for Coruscant, that's a great theory regarding Hitler. Considering how Star Wars has followed WWII in a way throughout the movies, that would make sense. However, I wonder if Coruscant will fall to the Vong even without the World ship, which seemed more like just a home for 12,000 Vong to me.
  10. LawgSkrak Force Ghost

star 4
    What is the release date for SbS?
  11. Balance_Point Jedi Master

star 4
    October 31st, I think.

Just three days after my birthday. I plan on asking for a certain late present this year... :)
  12. KansasNavy Force Ghost

star 4
    I want to see those fighters on the back cover. Those look cool! :D I like fighters and battles. SbS looks to give me a fill of both!
  13. ReaperFett Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I like the idea of the gravity well worldship
  14. LanceJade Jedi Master

star 4
    For my 2 credits.... I think that we might see Corran. Not because of any green tinted X-wing (its not on the revised cover in green! I saw the final at Gencon and its just not there)

Corran has a loving wife and two great kids, but here is a character which fans either like or hate. (I like him) and I think that his death may prove constructive for the whole Jedi Order.

We know that Coruscant is going to fall in this book (yeah!!) and that the Jedi brats, er, the Solo kids are going on a mission of some type.

I think that we may see Jaina fall towards the dark side. She is already very, very upset over the Kyp incident and she is the focus of DARK JOURNEY (or what ever the title is now). We should be seeing her in a major character change before her one shot book. This of course will be a good thing considering the fact that she has become an annoying &!@$* at times, and at others she's a great character. They can't make up their minds on how to portray her... which is fairly realistic concidering that she is a teenager!
  15. ReaperFett Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Im sure Ive heard the following are in some later books:

Jaina
    Kyp
    Wedge
    Some of the Wraiths

So, we can just about rule them out. Corran would be a big impact, but it should only happen if Mirax becomes more active then. Jacen would be perfect for me. I like the idea Borsk scrapes through again, so theres always the unpopular character.

Heres one which I hope and pray doesnt happen.......................Gavin?
  16. Balance_Point Jedi Master

star 4
    Ok, here's a stupid question:

Where can you see the back cover? Every site I've been to only has the front displayed, and all these descriptions I've been hearing really make me want to see the whole thing.
  17. LawgSkrak Force Ghost

star 4
    October?!? Is there any other SW books coming out to hold us over till then?
  18. Amused knight Jedi Knight

star 1
    Balance_Point, I believe that you can see the entire cover on TOS. you may have to dig to find it but it should be in the archives.
  19. Mastadge Manager Emeritus

star 7
    jedi-jeff
    It's been confirmed that Coruscant falls in SbS.

"think the ?worldship? that was destroyed in Rebirth was probably a weapon that was to play a critical role in the offensive to capture Coruscant. My guess is that a worldship class ?hull? was being built to function as a large interdictor. The function of this interdictor ?worldship? was to prevent the NR fleet and other ships from leaving the Coruscant system. The NR fleet could then be decisively defeated and a large number of people will be taken captive in order to be turned into slaves or sacrificed to the Gods."

No, ther worldship was a...worldship. It was going to be used to house the people on the old, decrepit worldships that were dying and incapable of hyperspeeds. Rebirth was fairly clear on that; the chapters from the Vong's point of view would have no reason to lie about that.
  20. Mavrick889 Jedi Master

star 4
    Y'know, when it comes down to it, I'd actually rather we not see ANYONE die unless it's absolutely necessary. Everyone here seems so damn bloodthirsty...and they're not going to kill Ben. Or the twins. Guarantee you won't see the deaths of infants, children, or teenagers in Star Wars...ever.
  21. Protege-of-Thrawn Manager Emeritus

star 6
    who will die and who won't - not just in SbS, but in NJO - and why...
    1. Corran will die. about 3-4 months back i theorised he would die in the defense of correlia, and redeem both his and the Jedi reputation by allowing the majority of refugees to flee/ and or save the system. although it seems correlia is for now, safe, the same may happen at coruscant.
    2. Mara may die, and lead Luke to make a rash decision...once you go down the dark path...forever, will it dominate your destiny...now i'm not saying luke will go dark, but we will go on the offensive, kill a lot of key Vong, yet probably die in a glorious end battle in HC#5 with Shimmra or someone similar...this is the last transition between the old guard of jedi and the new - saving the galaxy into which his son - an obvious messiah of the jedi - can grow up free.
    3. Lando may also die, which will reopen all wounds and lead to a disintergration of Han, and possibly his relationship with Leia. my guess is all the support cast to the kids will gradually erode - chewie was one facet of this, he cared for them as a chronic babysitter/uncle, and his death affected them. all will be part of their 'baptism of fire' creating the material for their future adventures post-NJO.
    4. Wedge may also die. he and Karrde are both major characters EU wise, and their death would be both sad and shocking...
    5. One of the Solo kids will die. to shake up the other two, and also to shake our belief that we can still predict NJO (they have been building Anakin as the next skywalker, but is this just so we are totally shocked and suprised when he carks it?)

well, just my thoughts, Shimmra is the god of SW villians - surpassing even the rank, dark, evil that Plapatine exudes...
    Long Live Kyp, may he copulate with Jaina, and produce many small Solo/Durrons...
    cya all, :D
    PoT
  22. Joyoda Jedi Knight

star 1
    I think Karrde will be the character that meets his end... no reason in particular, just an odd feeling.....
  23. Adi_Gallia_9 Chosen One

star 5
    LawgShrak, SbS is the next NJO book. However there are a couple of other Star Wars books coming out. Jedi Quest is coming out this month and some people are already finding it. And The Galactic Phrase Book and Travel Guide is due out soon. But there will be no NJO books until SbS in October. :(

Is Borsk going to die? Everyone wants him to, but I would imagine he'd find a way to get off-planet if the Vong are coming.
  24. Balance_Point Jedi Master

star 4
    Amused knight, thanks a lot. :) What a work of art. I'm just gonna look at this for a few minutes now and re-ponder a few of my Star by Star predictions...
  25. Sethrik Jedi Padawan

I don't know who will die in NJO, but I seriously doubt it will be Mara. For one, Mara would be protecting her child, as she stated in BP. I seriously doubt Mara would take her child running into dangerous situations where she and the baby could get killed. Speaking from Lukes point of view, her death would be devastating to him. In Rebirth, when he thought Mara was dying, he was falling into despair, and fear. We all know that fear leads to anger...etc. Luke would fall to the Darkside. Though it would be interesting, i don't think they'd do it.

As for the visions that Luke had, they were just visions. Always in motion is the future. I don't know what they mean, but you remember his vision in Spectre? Those were wrong. Mara had a vision in vision of the future where the two of them and their son were happy, so I wouldn't put any stock in the vision.

That's all from me, I'm just gonna wait for the book...lol see yall later!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.