main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Official Star by Star discussion thread (Spoilers from EOV and SBS)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by anyueman, Aug 1, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    I can not wait for SBS to arrive.

If I had to guess who would die, I'd say Borsk. But that would be to easy. Maybe Anor and Tsavong Lah, or his creshe-mate from Rebirth. I am doubious that Mara or Corran will die now, if at all, in the NJO. It would split the EU fans: pro-Horn, anti-Horn, pro-Mara, anti-Mara. And then the Lit forum would become a battlefeild.

Maybe not, but I would hate to seem them killed.

2. cmulligan01

cmulligan01 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 18, 1998
    Personally I don't like the death being talked about overly much.

3. Ralroost

Ralroost Jedi Youngling

Aug 12, 2001
    I can pretty much guarantee you that Mara will not die. If they wanted her to die, they would've had her die after or during giving birth to Ben, and if Corran dies, I am so boycotting the NJO. :p

Personally, I think it's going to be either Karrde or Durron. I'm learning more towards Karrde, though, as I think Kyp is going to play a much larger role later on in the NJO.

<prays> Please God not Corran, please God not Corran...

4. Ralroost

Ralroost Jedi Youngling

Aug 12, 2001
    Sorry about the double post there. Won't happen again.

5. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    I, unfortunatley, could see another Zahn character hitting the dust. (Karrde) It would be sad, but if he dies, Shada would have to go with him.

6. JWK

JWK Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 18, 2000
    Protege-of-Thrawn - you obviously what to see just about EVERYBODY die.

Personly I'd say Jaina, Kyp, and Wedge are not even possiblities because Del Rey has said they're in later books.
    Luke, Mara, and Ben are almost certainly going to stay on until HC5.
    Han has done a lot of the emotional building since Chewie's death. I'd rule him out.
    Corran I say isn't a *major* character. He's big though, of course he could have a major inpact.

This leaves us Leia, Anakin, Jacen, and Tahiri (if you considerher a main).
    Anakin and Tahiri have become vary close, in many ways. I forsee them lasting long past the NJO and forming another Jedi family.

So now we have Jacen and Leia. It appears (at least to me) that both of them are on the back cover. You can argee that is you want. (I very well could be wrong) IF and I mean if, it is Leia on the back I think she going to bite it. And I think Jacen bames himself for it. That's why I think half his face is dark.
    Jacen has a big 'ordeal' in BP. He saw his path in the war. To kill him 3 books later. I don't think so.
    Leia would bring us into the big Unpredictablity thing. If Leia can die in HC3 whats going to happen in HC4 and 5?!! This would make Jaina's path lead to a "Dark Journey" for vengence of her mom. It also says on the Back that I quote "In the Shadow of a Treacherous enemey, the Jedi Knights reach their darkest hour...." end Quote. Leia's death would certanly do that, bring them too their darkest hour all right.

Of course killing Jacen or Anakin would do basically the same thing. But my theories still Leia.

As for Coruscant falling. I think the Vong start taking stars "Star by Star" on their route towards Coruscant. And in the final chapter the Vong take the world. And sacrifce Leia to help cleanse it.

7. RingoJuna

RingoJuna Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 18, 2001
    After looking through these posts, i've gotten an idea. Perhaps the characters that are soon to shuffle off their mortal coil aren't even mortal.....perhaps it'll be the droids, C3-PO and/or R2-D2. Some of you might balk at this, saying that their memories were being stored. There has been no mention of this happening as of yet. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

8. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Threepio or Artoo hitting the dust? *raises eyebrows* Thats a new idea...however unlikley but possible. I doubt Lucas would allow them to be killed, as he is using them the the Prequels, but maybe he would. I dont know.

As for Leia, it would certainly be dramatic enough, but so would any of the other Solo children's death. I remeber a long time ago (like around Ruin or so), a former JCer decided that the characters who die will have outlived their usefulness. I think Leia is still usefull to the Order, Mara as well. Hmmmm.....I wonder if JS77's predicton will come true.

9. Penguins4free

Penguins4free Jedi Youngling

Jan 18, 2001
    >Han has done a lot of the emotional building since Chewie's death. I'd rule him out.

I don't agree that they will kill Leia off. She is the glue that holds everyone together. What is the point of Han going through this emotional building if his wife were to die? The destruction of his character when chewie died would pale in comparison to that of the death of his wife.

The same goes with Luke, the Solo kids etc. Yes it would provoke them into action, but this was already covered in Balance Point. Tyers said she had to send Leia to the brink of death to inspire Jacen to act.

In response to the suggestion that Leia has no usefulness - we are talking about the woman who was arguably once the most powerful and influential indivdual in the Galaxy. Think about it, the New Republic is falling apart, the jedi, republic, factions of the republic such as the peace brigade are all at war with each other. The Jedi and their allies -- those who will eventually take the frountline of the battle against the Vong are in despirate need of leadership. They need too co-ordinate their efforts if they are going to have any hope of victory. This can be seen in the attempts to build the base in the maw and Luke's great river of jedi -- The only person who has any experience in leading something like this is Leia. She is the only one who is respected amongst the politions, the jedi, the civilians and the enemy.

Leia will be around for a long time.

10. stevo

stevo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 14, 2001
    I'd have to bet on Lando dying, compared to Corran he's the better one to kill off in my opinion, the change can't be too big or else readers will become depressed and stop reading, but Lando's perfect for the job, we just got attached to Corran in Rebirth so now we don't want to see him go. Lando's been around for a while, but no body really needs him he's always out trying to make a profit. I think Lando's time is up.

11. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    As i said in a similar thread, I believe Corran's death at this point would be too forced and convoluted, almost a death for death's sake. If you ask me, I think it will either be Lando ( hopehope) Fey'lya...or Coruscant itself.

12. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    I doubt they're going to kill Lando.Haven't even used him ye...I know I would be really pissed if they did kill him

13. JWK

JWK Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 18, 2000
    I still prefer to have nobody major die in Star by Star

14. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    I think if they killed off Lando it owuld be in a similar vein as Corran, a death for shock value's sake. Either way, I dont see Mr. Calrissian going, at least not in SbS.

15. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    ROFL. This is a funny thread. It should be renamed "Who I think will die in SBS thread."

I don't look forward to each book looking to see who will die.

Now, whats this about a Vong weapon that Anakin leads an attack on?

16. Rebecca191

Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 2, 1999
    Well, I just found something that seems to reinforce the death theory, and seems to point to someone close to Jaina. It's from a preview of fall and winter books:

Star Wars: The New Jedi Order: Dark Journey (Feb., $6.99) by Elaine Cunningham. After a deep personal loss, Jaina Solo is determined to take her revenge on the Yuuzhan Vong.

17. Freyja

Freyja Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    I don't believe it will be Han or Leia for the simple reason that someone in another thread wrote Ms. Shapiro about their unhappiness over the relationship and was told in response that a good storyline was planned for them down the road but there were some other things to be written about first.

18. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    deep loss eh?

Jacen! Die boy die!

Or, Jagged, leaving the door open for Kyp :)

Damn, this book sounds good :)

19. Rebecca191

Nov 2, 1999
    Hate to say it, but...

I think Jacen's time may be up. It fits, after all. Losing one's twin is a very deep personal loss.

It's just a theory, though.

And I doubt that in the time between Rebirth and SBS, Jaina is going to close enough to a guy to fall in love with him and then go on a rampage for revenge when he dies. So, I am leaning towards a family member.

20. Freyja

Freyja Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    My thought was Jacen too. And she isn't close enough to Jag (yet) for his death to qualify as a deep personal loss.

EDIT: I'd still be surprised if they bumped off a Solo though.

21. Rebecca191

Nov 2, 1999
    Yeah. If Jag died, I'm sure she'd be sad. But not sad enough to go on a crazy quest for revenge.

Edit: But I guess it could happen. I can't think of anyone else but a family member that Jaina is close enough to, that their death would be such a deep personal loss. Can anyone else?

22. Ginger

Ginger Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 27, 2001
    It can't be Han or Leia because we have been told that they will appear briefly in Dark Journey. I don't think that Han could take another death so soon after Chewy, so I don't think it would be Jacen or Anakin. It has to be someone that Jaina gets close to or closer to throughout SBS.

23. Rebecca191

Nov 2, 1999
    Well, if it really is 500+ pages I guess there's enough room for that.

24. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    lets see, people close to Jaina:

Wedge(safe)
    Han(Id say safe)
    Luke(safe)
    Mara(Hmmm)
    Ben(dont make me laugh)
    Jacen(Hmmm)
    Leia(Hmmm, unlikely)
    Anakin(doubt it)

then there's the fringe players:

Kyp(safe)
    Jagged(Hmmm)
    Corran(Hmmm)
    Lando(doubt it)

That leaves:
    Mara
    Jacen
    Leia
    Jagged
    Corran

Mara should be safe. Leia I doubt will go. So, Jacen, Jagged or Corran. Win-win for me :)

25. Rebecca191

Nov 2, 1999
    I remember Ghentz's joke that DJ would settle Jag vs Zekk - the age old question.

Now either both of them will be in DJ (and are thus safe) or Ghentz was just making a joke. But he often hides spoilers in jokes. So who knows?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.