main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga The Official Star Wars Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Fat_Rancor_Keeper, Apr 17, 2010.

1. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Oh well, that's something, I suppose. Can't believe I've got to wait a week & half to see this!

2. DarthBandersnatch

DarthBandersnatch Jedi Master star 1

Jul 28, 2011
    Here is the review from The Digital Bits. Very nice:

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/reviewshd/bdreviews091611.html

3. Hogne

Hogne Jedi Master star 1

Sep 21, 2004
    Interesting. Does this mean Lucas has changed lines like "I wish I could wish away my feelings" and made Padmes waking up after her fall from the ship more believable? I mean, he does "improve" other scenes with each release, so there's no reason he couldn't.

4. norway

norway Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 29, 2000
    Please add more if you know of any we missed. :)

5. jasperjones

jasperjones Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 24, 2001
    Good, well-balanced review.

6. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    Thanks mate. Do other European nations have different boxes or are they all collective individual boxes (typically the UK and Europe are the two different sets if I'm not mistaken)? Anyone have any answers regarding the following two questions:

7. qui-gon-kim

qui-gon-kim Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2001
    R2's arm in ROTS has NOT changed. It has always been blue.

The DNR is noticeable in TPM. There is shocking lack of detail in certain scenes. It's the best it's ever looked on home video, but still disappointing.

I also love the alien subtitles in the films. I don't know if they are player generated or burned in but they look really nice.

8. Darth_Harmon

Darth_Harmon Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2005
    I've yet to watch the blu, but from past experience with blu-rays, subtitles are awesome on most every title. The text is very crisp, to the point of looking like a part of the film. Also, they can select unique colors and fonts.

9. DanteVader

DanteVader Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 3, 2010
    I didn't want to waste a new thread on this Q, so I'll ask it in here:

"At last we shall have our revenge".

For what? I know the Sith were all but extinct, but it's never stated, or seemingly implied, that the Jedi are responsible for that. Is there a EU explanation behind this?

It's all Revan's fault, isn't it? :)

10. Darth_Harmon

Jul 4, 2005
    Ah, the misadventures in blu-ray buying! Since May 4th I had an amazon order, then a few weeks ago Target dropped the price $10 so I canned my Amazon order for Target. Then last week Best Buy drops the price $10 to match Target and Amazon drops it to match the other two. So it comes down to exclusives: film cel and shirt or lithos. By the time I decided Best Buy, the film cel offer was gone, but the shirt was still available. So this morning I decide to take the trip to Target during work hours (wookie hooky), only to learn that it would require a subway ride and a bus ride, $4 and an hour and a half. Adding to that I see the lithos on bluray.com and am unimpressed, so I'm going with Best Buy.

So I hit up BB.com, bought the blu and shirt, and am picking up tonight!

11. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    It is implied that the Jedi caused the extinction of the Sith at some point 1,000 years before the films.

12. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    So. The Senate duel animatic is super cool. Wish some more elements of it had remained in the final cut, though it was all pretty over the top. Then again, Yoda and the Emperor fighting at all is pretty over the top, so why not go all out? :p

13. Darth_Harmon

Jul 4, 2005
    This might be a weird request, but anybody care to snap a photo of the saga blu lined up with seasons 1&2 of the clone wars blu? I'm itchin to see how the spines will line up.

14. Blue_Jedi33

Blue_Jedi33 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 12, 2003
    http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20528254,00.html

Highlight quote.
    That's it time to go pick mine up [face_dancing]

15. DarthMarino

DarthMarino Jedi Master star 2

Jul 18, 2002
    Here's a look at the Target exclusive lithographs. Much larger than I was expecting. They are on a nice stock paper.

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/mmarino/SW-BR-Target-Exclusive.jpg]

16. Darth_Harmon

Jul 4, 2005
    And from what I hear they are $9.99 when bought separately. So assuming there are any left this evening, I could hit best buy and get the saga + shirt, then next door hit Target and get the lithos for $10.

17. DarthMarino

DarthMarino Jedi Master star 2

Jul 18, 2002
    Yes, it was $9.99 on it's own. It didn't seem like they had too many but that's always the case with Target exclusives.

18. Darth_Martus

Darth_Martus Jedi Knight star 1

May 11, 2011
    Just finished the whole saga on Blu Ray. IMO the Vader "Nooooo" is an improvement to the scene. It both adds to the scene and helps bridge the two trilogies and it certainly doesn't sound as bad as when I heard it on youtube.

I guess I loose fan points for this admitting this? [face_tired]

19. BLACKJEBUS

BLACKJEBUS Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 9, 2002
    I bought the Saga before work today. I was one of 8 people in line, and they did a draw for a Darth Maul FX lightsaber.

The guy who showed up right after me won it. :(

20. Darth_Harmon

Jul 4, 2005
    Thought I'd post another screengrab to pass the time:

[image=http://i.imgur.com/EhPLh.jpg]

It's a shame nobody posts screens of General Jar Jar!

21. Darth_Martus

Darth_Martus Jedi Knight star 1

May 11, 2011
    BOMBAD GENERAL

22. Darth_Harmon

Jul 4, 2005
    Replace Jar Jar with a Star Wars fan and the tank with the complete saga set.

23. Fat_Rancor_Keeper

Fat_Rancor_Keeper Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 17, 2010
    LoL, suddenly I'm having second thoughts about going to bestbuy after work today.

24. Gallandro

Gallandro Force Ghost star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    Oh rubbish, if you and the other folks over at OT.com are having problems with "black crush" or "blue tint" then I suggest your either collectively have your sets calibrated by a professional who knows what they are doing, or take off your OOT rose-colored glasses and stop trying to claim your "memories" of how these films look is correct. This set is simply amazing and is the best representation of these films released on home video so far.

I'm sure if you guys hold your breath long enough GL will comply and throw you guys some kind of bone. Frankly if I were Lucas I would just find the best prints I could of the OT, scan them at 2K, perform some cleanup and throw them, bare bones, on individual discs. I would not waste my time, or money, trying to collect every snippet of the original negatives (if they even exist anymore) and basically recreate the OT from near scratch.

At the end of the day it must really suck to be part of a small (but very vocal) minority of angry "fans" (I use that term very loosely) whose whining and moaning is becoming more and more irrelevant. Meanwhile Star Wars fans and film lovers will get to sit back and enjoy George's saga in glorious hi-def... and then get to watch the Season 4 premiere of Clone Wars tonight... dang its a fun time to be a Star Wars fan!

Yancy

25. Darth_Harmon

Jul 4, 2005
    Oh come on! Just buy the set!

PPPHHPPBBTTTT!

[image=http://i.imgur.com/Ljgo5.jpg]

P-Yousa!

[image=http://i.imgur.com/iFRxu.jpg]