main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga The Official Star Wars Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Fat_Rancor_Keeper, Apr 17, 2010.

1. Fat_Rancor_Keeper

Fat_Rancor_Keeper Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 17, 2010
    LoL, surround sound farts = awesome

2. Darth_Harmon

Darth_Harmon Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2005
    I'm more of a burp man myself. This scene is going to blow out my subwoofer!

[image=http://i.imgur.com/74rH7.jpg]

3. the-jedi-prince

the-jedi-prince Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 2, 2011

just watched it and lol at the friend word. uk fans will no why from the inbetweeners :D

4. Gallandro

Gallandro Force Ghost star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    To be fair, technically the Boba Fett Holiday Special cartoon is not an "easter egg," it's easy to find and not located in some secret portion of a menu. It's right there in the Collection section of the disc... it's not like you have to enter a code to get to it.

5. Drewton

Drewton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 8, 2009
    :oops:

If you knew about black crush you'd know that TV calibration could do nothing to improve it.

6. Gallandro

Jul 8, 1998
    Ok for any Lucas bashers who have implied that GL is not proud of TESB, or views it as a lesser Star Wars film your really need to watch "Conversation With the Masters"

Lucas: "Empire was a great challange, both creative and physically. It was the first film that I solely financed myself. We had some technical difficulties, primarily Yoda, which was a huge risk, that we could get a puppet to look like a real animal. Which hadn't been done up to that point. In the end it turned out very well, I was very proud of it. That is the film that ultimately made Lucasfilm stand on its own as a film company and be totally independent. It was a difficult experience, but well worth the effort."

Yancy

7. Drewton

Jan 8, 2009
    When has anyone said in the last ten pages that Lucas isn't proud of TESB?

8. Gallandro

Jul 8, 1998
    Considering I've worked in film and television production for years I am well aware of what black crush is, and ANH does not show evidence of it. I suggest you adjust your set if you are losing details against blacks or shadows because I am certainly not seeing that.

Of course all you are really going to fiddle with is brightness and contrast or color temp. I suggest most people at OT.com really have no clue what they are talking about. I hate to break it to people but the Star Wars Definitive Collection on laser disc is not the end all be all of Star Wars transfers. By that time (1993), the original negative print of ANH was suffering from serious degradation, specifically in the black levels. The blacks became severely desaturated, almost milky. At the time Lucas admitted that ANH was in bad shape and the restoration was an attempt to preserve the original Star Wars before it was too late.

Yancy

9. Gallandro

Jul 8, 1998

10. Drewton

Jan 8, 2009
    I'm definitely seeing it.

[image=http://savestarwars.com/images/sefail/cellblockcomparison.jpg]

[image=http://savestarwars.com/images/sefail/blockade-runnercomparison.jpg]

Look for this scene on the Blu-ray and you will see no where near the amount of detail on Vader's costume. Bill Hunt has also said that there is a black crash. I am getting the Blu-rays today, but the detail crush is there without a doubt.

[image=http://www.jedi1.net/images/1600/ANH-Darth_Vader-04592-1600.jpg]

11. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jedi_Ford_Prefect Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2003
    Okay. Now that I've got the set in hand, I think I've discovered one pretty glaring flaw that in all the talk about the Special Editions, pink lightsabers and DNR has gone overlooked. And that is...

...HOW THE HELL DO YOU ACTUALLY GET THE BLU-RAYS OUT OF THE DAMN PACKAGE?!?

Seriously. I hate blu-rays and DVD's that try to get all creative with the packaging instead of offering a nice, simple snap-in case of some kind. I remember years back ordering the Eraserhead set from DavidLynch.com, and finding that the package wasn't a traditional case, but instead this elaborate big box that doesn't actually fit in anything, and furthermore only kept the movie in place with a thin envelope. Hell, when I got it in the mail, the disc was originally secured with a piece of Scotch tape, and was scratched to hell in transit, necessitating me to complain to the site and get another one mailed in with a traditional CD jewel case (for free, though-- that was nice). I look at this artsy Star Wars set with the fancy envelope sleeves, and I have no idea how to take the discs out without scratching them. For God's sake.

12. Todd-Taun

Todd-Taun Jedi Youngling

Apr 27, 2010
    Just a little encouraging news for all you Amazon-orderers who were nervous about not getting a shipping notification and therefore not getting these on release day.

I ordered on Amazon, and didn't get a shipping confirmation until late yesterday (Thursday). I just got an email confirming my package was delivered and at my front door. Thankfully, it is a cooler day here in southern California and my wife is off work today so it will be safe & sound inside the house, waiting for me when I get home!

On another cool note, I also found out earlier this week that I will be home ALL BY MYSELF tonight! Holy cow, what good fortune! Of course my family wants to see the movies, so maybe I'll just do an "overview" of the set tonight, focusing mostly on the extras. Can't wait!!

13. Anakin_Darth

Anakin_Darth Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 28, 2005
    I just gotta say, the Blu Rays are AMAZING! The picture quality is beautiful, the sound is LOUD and it's just an amazing overall experience. Well worth the wait, thank you Master Lucas!!!=D= =D= =D=

14. PirateofRohan

PirateofRohan Jedi Master star 3

Dec 11, 2009
    What do you mean by that? Different transitions?

15. jasperjones

jasperjones Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 24, 2001
    I think the Blu's are fantastic, but what the Hell is going on with the re-edit at the end of AOTC, during Dooku's escape from Yoda? It makes no sense now, and kills the urgency. It's atrocious.

16. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I agree. I really don't understand what they meant by doing that. The green tint is a non-issue near to that.

17. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    Glad someone agrees with me, Jasper. :p I can't see any logic, faulty or not, behind that move.

18. jasperjones

Oct 24, 2001
    I mean, I don't often make it to that scene anyway but it's not even barely passable. If an amateur editor turned that in you would tell to go back and try again. I can't see what they were trying to achieve.

19. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I haven't got the Blu Rays yet, but I've heard about this AOTC re-edit. What have they actually done?

20. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    I haven't watched the Blu-rays so I can't comment on the ending of the Yoda/Dooku duel, but Attack of the Clones has always had the worst editing of the saga, I think largely because it was edited by Ben Burtt who is apparently not near as competent a film editor as he is a sound designer.

21. jasperjones

Oct 24, 2001
    Basically, they've re-edited the part where Dooku topples that column on Anakin and Obi-Wan.

It's hard to describe what they'r egging for because it's not clear but where as before Dooku's ship left pretty much during Yoda's attempt to save the Jedi, the ship door closes. Yoda looks tiredly at the injured Jedi. Then you cut outside to Padme and the Clones arriving. Then the Sailor takes off.

So effectively Yoda is standing around while the Solar Sailor gets ready to take off. The music is chopped around to match the new edit but the worst part is that removes all the urgency from the scene and weakens Yoda. I'd say it's a more incomprehensible change than the No. I can see the reasoning behind the no, even if I don't like it. I can't even tell clearly what the new edit is striving for.

22. DARTH_CHINA

DARTH_CHINA Jedi Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    That's for sure. IMO, it's the worst edit in any Star Wars movie! It's just horrible because of the atrocious music editing. You have the music building up and suddenly 7 seconds of awkwardness before it continues!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

I can see the logic behind the change, but boy, you'd expect someone high profile as Lucasfilm do it in a professional way! It's like some 2 year old put in together in Windows Movie Player or something!!!

I have never seen such a terrible editing job in any movie!! I really love AOTC but that edit is done so badly that it ruins the end of the movie for me. They already ripped much of the original soundtrack in AOTC to shreds, but this new edit even succeeds to do "better"! :eek:

I wasn't that upset about the new blu-ray changes, the Noooo!, I even liked the teal tint in AOTC... but that edit really tops them all, IMO. Not the idea, just the way it was executed.

In the world of movie-editing, the are no excuses for that amateuristic atrocity!! How embarrassing, how embarrassing!! :mad:

23. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    Here's what I said about it last week for anyone who cares enough for a shot by shot rundown.

24. Drewton

Jan 8, 2009
    I wonder why none of the reviews thus far have picked up on this.

25. qui-gon-kim

qui-gon-kim Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2001
    Basically:

Old edit:
    Dooku causes pillar to fall, Yoda saves Obi & Ani from pillar
    Dooku flies away on his ship
    Padme & the clones arrive, shoot at Dooku
    Dooku's solar sailor flys into space
    Yoda looks tired, Obi and Ani are lying on the floor

New edit:
    Dooku causes pillar to fall, Yoda saves Obi & Ani from pillar
    Yoda looks tired, Obi and Ani are lying on the floor
    Dooku flies away on his ship
    Padme & the clones arrive, shoot at Dooku
    Dooku's solar sailor flys into space

I like the old edit better, having a lull in the action breaks up the flow the whole Clone War lightsaber duel had going on.