main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga The Official Star Wars Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Fat_Rancor_Keeper, Apr 17, 2010.

1. the-jedi-prince

the-jedi-prince Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 2, 2011
    yep have to agree the blu rays are very slow to load up.
    ive got a new panasonic player with the latset firmware also.
    everything else/ other dvds and blu rays load up fast tho.

2. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    The Blu-Rays are super fast on my Play Station whilst they are slow on my 'Pioneer' Blu-Ray player. So it would be the player not the discs.

3. StarWarrior92

StarWarrior92 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 7, 2011
    The Blu-Rays, in their High Definition glory, are now......mine! :D

obi-rob-kenobi4 likes this.
  4. StormTrooper1776

StormTrooper1776 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 26, 2004
    Did they change Boba Fett's red gauntlets in ROTJ to green?

5. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    I watched the PT deleted scenes and some of the OT ones. The PT ones were major wastes of time considering how long they took to load, but the OT ones are quite interesting.

Oh, and the clueless woman in The Lost Rebels was lol-worthy. [face_laugh]

6. Drewton

Drewton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 8, 2009
    The cover looks worse in person. It looks like someone took a painting before it dried and poured water on it.

7. Hayato112

Hayato112 Jedi Grand Master star 1

Nov 24, 2001
    Weren't we supposed to get a 6-disc boxset set in 2009?

8. grimlockbedi

grimlockbedi Jedi Master star 2

Sep 16, 2006
    Yes! An unintended high point!

9. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    I have a question...do you have to buy the complete saga set to get all the cool extras for the Classic Trilogy? Or does each individual set of movies have their own extras. Also, are any deleted scenes placed back into the movies, e.g. the Luke with macrobionoculars?

Thanks!

10. Dreossk

Dreossk Jedi Master star 1

May 2, 2008
    So did they finally fix Obi-Wan's lightsaber in ANH in his duel with Vader?

11. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Watched ANH today, overall, the extra detail in the image is quite nice and the sound mix is clear (though the front stage seemed very narrow to me except during a few key scenes).

Some of the encoding/color shifts were distracting though- specifically those damn blue halos that pop up around most white lights (and even then, not even consistently from shot to shot). I understand those were a result of the DVD rush-job that was just upgraded for BD (as well as them removing the Death Star's halo at least), but I guess I never watched the DVD SE's often enough to notice them (or the HD quality just makes them more noticable). The Death Star explosion's noticeable shift from color to black and white was obvious as well.

Deleted scenes are fun so far, though. However, I HATE having everything subdidvided into submenus by location theme. Makes things more difficult to access (not to mention the load times each time you gotta jumo back and forth...oh, DVD, your navigation was so economical on time!).

Actually, the menus in general are a little disappointing- the DVDs had fantastic menus, equal to the legendary ones on Terminator 2: UE/EE & The Abyss (same guy behind them, IIRC). On the plus side, the BD menus are less spoilerish if your jumping into the movie for the first time for someone, but they feel more like the early year DVDs (like the original T2 release's motion menus) with a slightly fancier frame/interface, so it does feel "less" somehow.

To get the 3 bonus discs you have to buy the complete saga, otherwise you just get the movie discs.

No deleted scenes reinserted. Just changes to existing stuff.

12. Jedi_Liz

Apr 24, 2000

Thanks. *sigh* Guess I'll have to hope that SyFy network will air those making of programs again some day so I can dub them to my own DVDs (i taped them to a tape first, but when I dubbed to a dvd, I didn't finalize it and that dvd recorder broke). Lucas won't be making any $$$$$ from me, at least not this year.

so, this means the sandstorm scene isn't added? Just the Luke with new lightsaber?

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The Luke w/saber scene isn't added in either, and neither is the sandstorm. They're all accessible via Disc 8 (which has all the OT extras).

14. AnakinBrego

AnakinBrego Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 15, 2004
    I can't believe at how blurry Episode 2 looks on Blu-ray!! [face_frustrated]

15. Jedi_Liz

Apr 24, 2000
    oh...I thought Lucas was placing that Luke with saber scene back in.... That's how I was interpreting it...

I'm glad I got the limited edition DVDs of ANH and ROTJ, the O-OT versions,when I did.

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Nope, that was just the first deleted scene revealed (though, unlike the other deleted scenes, that seemed to have some recent work done on it to spiff it up), to announce the presence of the deleted scenes on this release (since the DVD s didn't have any).

17. Gallandro

Gallandro Force Ghost star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    I have no clue what you are talking about, PQ is great. Watching right now.

Yancy

obi-rob-kenobi4 likes this.
  18. grimlockbedi

grimlockbedi Jedi Master star 2

Sep 16, 2006
    So I'm showing my wife the deleted scenes from ROTJ and she catches this interesting tidbit:
    [image=http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/2631/imag0081us.jpg]

19. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009

I love the new Blu Ray menus but they are pretty hard to enjoy with the ridiculous load time. The planetary division is a great idea but I feel like they should have used that for the DVDs where the load time is less substantial.

As for the deleted scenes, it's great to see archival footage but 20 seconds of Bail Antilles in the Senate or Beru pouring a pitcher of blue milk isn't worth the several minute wait time IMO. I would have been okay with a tenth disk if it meant the content was more spread out and didn't take so much time to play.

20. skoota

skoota Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 26, 2004
    ^ so i guess i'm not the only one. mine stutters and freezes a bit.

is anyone having issues with their discs? i'm watching bonus features disc 2 and there's a constant stuttering and pausing. i usually spend a full 30-45 seconds waiting for the transitions from my selection to video. and when the video ends, i am returned to the main menu and i have navigate my way back to where i was previously.

it is horribly time-consuming.

another thing is,... when i play interviews, it's not full screen. it is surrounded by a distracting frame. and it's off center.

do i have a bad disc or is this a common issue?

i am beginning to suspect that i have a pirated blu ray package. there's some amateurish artwork on the inside and the cover, and the printing is off registration. there's a shifting of the cmyk printing inks.

21. DMan304

DMan304 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 10, 2004
    Maybe it's just me or my TV, but AOTC doesn't have nearly as much "cyan tint" as those pictures posted before had.

The color is definitely a little different, but not green at all. Yoda's lightning in particular looks green in that picture, but on my Blu-ray it looked the old blue and purple colors.

The DNR in TPM also wasn't nearly as bad as the pictures posted would make you think. In those shots (the Qui-Gon one in the council in particular) they were pretty bad but the entire rest of the movie looked amazing.

One thing I loved was Tarkin and Leia's dialog in ANH was fixed so the sound quality didn't randomly go from great to **** like it did in the DVD version.

22. obi-rob-kenobi4

obi-rob-kenobi4 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 17, 2007
    Got my set (and my t-shirt) at best buy as soon as they opened this morning and it was a good thing i showed up so early becouse there were like 30 other people there all waiting right at the door. I have been watching the set all day and....OMG!

=D= :eek: :eek: :eek: [face_dancing] [face_money_eyes] =D= =D=

I just cant even describe how good the picture quality is AS SPECIALLY on TPM! TPM looks like a whole new movie i swear, i cant believe how beautiful that film looks. Wow.

This truly is the best and most timeless and classy release of star wars ever. Just everything is beautiful and perfect. This set really does drive the fact that star wars is one complete saga in such a classy way. This set will really help give some people a new perspective on the PT also with how deep and good some of the interviews are. I am especially enjoying how they are showing how many miniatures and old school effects were used in the PT as specially TPM and how its basically a big mixture of all different kinds of effects and techniques in every episode of the saga now matter what year witch film was made in.

I cant believe how MUCH is packed in to the bonuses. There seems to be a video with in depth interviews and commentaries on every single artifact,costume or model from the saga. I have been watching since 10AM and i still really didn't even make a dent in the extras!

The interviews i as specially LOVE:

1.)The natalie portman interview blew me away! Portman REALY shows that she loves her character and gives SUCH an amazing insight into padme as a timeless character.

2.)The rick mccallum interview where he says the story of how when they went back to africa to find the original locations they found a guy that was useing the original cantina door as a chicken gate! i almost dies laughing! And when he talks about the guy with the original star wars shirt and how he didnt have the heart to tell him that it was worth like $1000 now lol!

3.)The carrie fisher interview and basically anything/everything carrie in the bonuses is amazing. She really is the just the classiest/strongest woman i think i have seen.

This whole set as amazing and again, i just cant stress enough how beautiful TPM is. It truly is like a whole new movie.

Now im off to enjoy the rest of this beautiful, beautiful set...

23. Obi-Wan-1000

Obi-Wan-1000 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 11, 2005
    So why does the US get that card board book case while Europe gets that cool blue case? The US box set case looks like it will scratch the disc and make it easier to get finger prints on the disc. Seriously, I am disappointed with the packaging for the US version. Once agian, Europe gets everything while we get nothing. lol

24. AnakinBrego

AnakinBrego Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 15, 2004
    The sharpness is missing from the image, jump from Episode 1 to Episode 3 and then to Episode 2, you'll immediately notice it!

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It will depend on your BD player model- older BD players (and, presumably, current lower cost players) have long load times even for just regular movies (longer for more advanced discs like Avatar and, presumably, Star Wars).

Newer models will be quicker- I got mine back in March (it was a $199 Sony model) and my load times are about half what you're describing, but even mine had a very long load time for the discs (the longest pause happening before the copyright warning blue screen).

Another thing that can affect load times is out of date BD player software/firmware- you may want to make sure yours is up to date (as the warning screen on the discs states when it loads). This is obviously easier for wifi BD players, but even if you have to burn a CD to install it from, it might improve performance.

A lot fo the extras are shown in that menu frame design, not full screen (thankfully the deleted scenes are shown full screen).