Saga The Official Star Wars Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Fat_Rancor_Keeper, Apr 17, 2010.

Moderators: Darth_Nub, Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn
  1. CoolyFett Force Ghost

star 4
    I still need to pick this edition up!!
  2. Fat_Rancor_Keeper Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    WELL HURRY UP!

We'll all be here waiting. ;)
  3. obi-rob-kenobi4 Force Ghost

star 4
    I absolutely love what Lucas decided to do with the front cover art to the box.

What people misunderstand about this particular set is that the whole thing is art themed. The cover looks like a watercolor painting that an artist painted because thats what Star Wars is. Its visual art that an artist spent his life painting.

And now what is it a picture of?

One boy (in a darker color) walking towards one direction and another boy (in a lighter color) who will walk in another direction. Each coming from the same home making the choice to step up into their journey. The twin suns up in the sky representing destiny and duality throughout all things in nature and science.

Its a timeless picture of the father of one generation heading in a direction and a son of a new generation that will fight to right the wrongs of the last generation and bring balance.

@};-=D=@};-

When it comes to extras and content I also love the way the bonus features are laid out because it is totally consistent with the art theme of the set. You get to go planet by planet to see the many various techniques that artists from all over the world used to create whole cultures. You see the BLEND of props, models, matte paintings and sets layered on in each part of every film in the Saga to create these classic images that the whole world recognizes.

This box set is the quintessential packaged collection of The Star Wars Saga that has ever been officially released up until this point in time. And it is beautiful.

@};-
    ezekiel22x and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  4. ezekiel22x Chosen One

star 4
    I was leaning towards not buying the Blu-Ray set until I saw the box art. Now it might very well be the last Star Wars thing I ever buy because I think it's just a perfect summation--the films themselves, the greater franchise, as well as the simple aesthetics of the package--of the series and my time spent being interested in it.
  5. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Don't confine yourself. 8K video will be a thing sooner rather than later; when that gets into the general realm we'll actually be able to view the films in the glorious 70mm definition they were supposed to be shown in. 8K is equivalent to 70mm IMAX. ;)
  6. CoolyFett Force Ghost

star 4
    I still need to get a surround sound system, so I can hear the great audio, everyone talks about.
  7. CoolyFett Force Ghost

star 4
    I hear ya man...I would have love multiple covers, SW has many charters worthy of the cover other than the skywalker boys
  8. CoolyFett Force Ghost

star 4
    So the Blu Ray will be replaced?
  9. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
  10. Alexrd Force Ghost

star 5
    I think 4K will be the next format resolution. Unfortunately for Episodes II and III we will only get uncompressed 1080p. It was Lucas sacrifice for the evolution of the industry.
  11. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    ...I hadn't considered that. Well, 4 and 8k are a long ways off; I imagine they'll figure some way to make them compatible.
  12. CoolyFett Force Ghost

star 4
    4K 8K.....Blu Ray? What will a 4K 8K player be like?
  13. Alexrd Force Ghost

star 5
    4K and 8K are video resolutions, not formats. Blu-ray is 1K. 4K is four times Blu-ray resolution.
    DarthBoba likes this.
  14. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    8k is roughly equivalent to a 70mm IMAX print in terms of resolution. So yes awesome :p
  15. obi-rob-kenobi4 Force Ghost

star 4
    Well until the day where some people feel they need to have 70mm IMAX quality screens in their house I think the blu-ray will be just fine.
  16. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Did people "feel the need" for 1080p? Or DVD? or hell, VHS? People will always buy something presented as newer/better. Which 4k and 8k will be.
  17. CoolyFett Force Ghost

star 4
    Thanks...tht good to know.
  18. CoolyFett Force Ghost

star 4
    Is it true Return of the Jedi is the worst looking & worst sounding episode of the Blu Ray disc? All the reviews say ROTJ does not look as good as the other 5.
  19. Alexrd Force Ghost

star 5
    Worst looking? I'd say yes. It needs a new transfer (well, all six movies will need a new one for the next format). Many shots are too soft and lack some detail. Particularly on Endor.

As for sound, all six movies are reference quality on the audio departement. No worries there.
  20. obi-rob-kenobi4 Force Ghost

star 4
    Every film in the saga was shot very soft on purpose. Basically the films are supposed to look soft. They will never look "sharp" on any format. They might get smoothed out or less blurry or larger size wise in the next future formats but they will always look soft stile wise.
  21. StampidHD280pro Force Ghost

star 4
    The scene leading up to Endor on the Imperial cruiser and the first scene on Endor look REALLY bad, not just soft or undefined. There's a grid-like pattern that blurs everything on screen, which is especially noticeable in HD. Seriously crummy.
    Alexrd likes this.
  22. Alexrd Force Ghost

star 5
    I'm sorry, but that's not true. There are many sharp shots throughout the movies. No matter how soft they may be in comparison to other movies, RotJ suffers from blurriness a lot.
    Bacon164 likes this.
  23. CoolyFett Force Ghost

star 4
    Ok thanks. Does anyone here have the 6.1 surround sound system? How does this enhance the movie? I'm thinking of getting a system for the SW dvds I have.
  24. StampidHD280pro Force Ghost

star 4
    I've not heard the set in surround, but 2 speakers or a good pair of headphones should be enough to showcase the quality of the audio. Just my opinion though.
Moderators: Darth_Nub, Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn