main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SNG The Official Star Wars Exhibition Thread

Discussion in 'Asia & Africa General Discussion' started by Darth_Eagle, Jul 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kimbilili-k-s

kimbilili-k-s Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 9, 2002
    JediClare - scum, still interested in volunteering? 10 hours seems like chicken feed to be around star wars! whee!

DE - so...we sign up closer to the date on the website issit? sorry haven't been reading this whole thread closely so apologies if the answers are somewhere around...can be in costume as an explainer, or do we have to clarify just in case we freak the visitors out?

though wif my baby face i think they'd just laugh at me...as most of my seniors have taken to doing so now... ;)

2. DarthCrovus

DarthCrovus Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 3, 2005
    Wah! Old School. Hey Kim. Long time no see.

3. JediJean

JediJean Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 1, 2002
    Yeah Kim, really missed you!
    You oughta come out and join us the next time... how about at Hobbes's birthday party on 19 Aug, or the chalet on 9 Sep organised by GetzJedi?? ;)

4. Rayten

Rayten Jedi Youngling

Dec 9, 2004
    Forgot to comment on this, but personally, I would very much rather have a celebrity around for a few hours than 10 special events.

I know of at least one SW celebrity who shouldn't cost too much to be here to promote the exhibition. GWL himself. His previous visit here was low-key, it was business-related. And he did say that he'll be here from time to time to oversee LF Animation S'pore. So he could tie in that with the promotion of the exhibition.

Maybe I'm the only one feeling this way, but I don't want to have live my life as a SW fan but never actually having met with an actual SW celebrity. SW-related special events are commonplace, the exhibition itself I would consider a special event without there being the need for more. What we need here in S'pore is a SW celebrity in town with all the media exposure to promote the exhibition. This exhibition here is the best excuse next to the release of a new SW movie (of which there'll be no more) for one to be here in S'pore with all the needed media exposure.

5. darshaassant

darshaassant Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 13, 2005
    Gl would be cool yes.

Just checking... is anyone else's topic notification spoilt?

6. kimbilili-k-s

Jul 9, 2002
    i don't really use topic notifications... ;)

hey guys sorry for disappearing for so long. it's been a busy month for me, and it's just gonna get worse :S. won't be able to go for both chalets either!! :( so the only way i can talk to you all for a few months would be through the boards...have fun yah?

dang missed yall for the FX collection too - would've been there at 2pm if not for my parents delaying coming out of the house. reached at 3.30 instead :(

really wish i could hang out with the gang!! miss all the crazy fun, but i promise i'll make time to go for any meetings after my promos in october. it seems a looooooooooooong way off. right now my life's just archery, archery comp, study, church, study, drama, church, study, drama, archery...you get the point.

JediClare's facing the same crisis as me too, but probably doing much more studying...hehe.

oh yah and as for the celebrity thing, i do wish SSC would spend money bringing down at least someone (or sometwo) who acted a pretty major role in the movies that we as SW fans would appreciate meeting. it would be so amazing for people like me who's dream is to be on the big stage one day... :D

7. JediJean

Apr 1, 2002
    Hi everyone,

Just wanted to give you guyz a little update on something that I'm presently working on especially for those who are thinking of forming a group to come to Singapore for this Star Wars exhibition.

The hotel I'm working for is presently in talks with the organisers to see if we can arrange to have a special accommodation package set up especially for all the Star Wars fans travelling to Singapore.

Stay tuned for more news as we continue to work out the details for this special accommodation package. We need to get official approval for it and so on... but as of right now, we are still in the process of working this out with the relevant people.

If you know anyone who is interested in travelling to Singapore for this exhibition, pls PM me and let me know, so that I can keep them updated when more details become available.

MTFBWY,
    Jeanette
    Secretary
    FanForce Singapore

8. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    How many people want a kinda Hasbro Figuring Packaging Stand for you to take photo in? :D

I'm talking about the QUALITY, DURABLE ones that was used at Celebration II, DC ComicCons, GenCon, WizardCon, CIII etc etc and not that crappy one used for the recent Hasbro Be-A-SW-Character Contest. [face_not_talking]

9. The_SITH_OverLORD

The_SITH_OverLORD Jedi Youngling

May 31, 2005
    Darth_Eagle any chance of this Hasbro Packaging Stand be placed in the Singapore Science Center in conjunction with the ART OF STAR WARS event. Will be mighty COOL for each of the MySciFiFan STAR WARS Costumed Contingent members posing inside this LIFE SIZED Clear Plastic Bubble! :cool:

10. Sidious_101

Sidious_101 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 9, 2002
    Oh man n i tot they are jus gonne use loads of jedis and they'll go ard saying "I sense a disturbance in the force" each time some bloke take out a digi cam

11. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    Yes, a date nearer to the opening day aka in Nov will be better.

There is a column on the form that states something like "Contract Basis" so just tick that one and state on the form that you're volunteering only for the SW Exhibition. My friends Jean and Fiona did that and they get to do LOTR Exhibition only during the run of that exhibition and had been most useful (especially Jean who being a NTU Lecturer and regular volunteer knows how to handle people very well) to us. =D=

As for costume-wise, notify both the Staff in charge of Volunteers and me first. Shouldn't have any problems with it as long as you are "useful" to us (aka help to lessen our burden of having to be the Explainer and yet have eyes wandering keeping a lookout for Photography & Video Recording Offenders) instead of a freeloader like many of the Volunteers for the LOTR Exhibition. They only came to see the exhibition for free or have long conversations with each others instead of going around helping to keep a watch on the visitors or answer their enquires about the exhibits.

Remember to think "maturely" too and not like the "Green Blob" by obeying the rules of the exhibition and remembering about the visitors' safely (physical and mental). Lightsabre Duels only belong outside the Exhibition Hall at a place with very little traffic (hmmm.....Ecogarden......) and of course nowhere near where the cars will go! Same goes with Vulgarity; it'll belong out of the visitors' hearing at all time.

Oh! Remember to e-mail or call up the Volunteer Staff-In-Charge first at least 24hours in advance that you are coming down to volunteer and not just pop up at the Visitor Service Centre. ;) Weekends is the time when we need the most help.

I have passed the idea of having it to the Staffs of SSC and I heard Hasbro is interested in the idea BUT it's a matter of wherther they will ask help/advice from their US counterpart and do the one like used in USA or reuse that crappy mobile one as seen at the Taka Costume Contest.

From my past experiences on the floor handling visitors, they can get fussy especially that there is No Photography & Video Recording for this exhibition. And everyone want to make this leg of the Exhibition most memoriable since we can't have regular movie screenings or bring in big Cast/Crew members so got to have something special here.

How about you give them your "Taliban" speech combined with Crovus' Japanese Speech? o_O

It will be proven again I hope that "Sound travel faster than Light" courtesy of someone.

12. lukedecop

lukedecop Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 25, 2002
    Roger DE,ha ha i am back again, been busy busy, how's everybody? soon we will be in full force. Keep us posted on the dates and events. Thanks :)

13. Rayten

Rayten Jedi Youngling

Dec 9, 2004
    About a week or two ago, I started seeing the TV commerical for the Art of SW in Singapore on Nickoloean (spelling). Footage is mostly from ROTS.

14. kimbilili-k-s

Jul 9, 2002
    wah...ack...i just remembered that 19th nov...

...is the day of my brother's wedding...

15. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    But are you free on the night of the 18th Nov for the Official Opening?

No promises as am trying to control the quality of costumes/armor and ever changing some people decisions are. :rolleyes:

16. CoOLv1rus

CoOLv1rus Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 23, 2003
    DE: u trying to hold some outing for the opening night??

I think i might be joining the MM Star wars imperial garrison~

any plans for FFSG??

17. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    I was told they are interested in getting Fans in Costumes on Opening Night and someone is interested in recommanding doing something special that nite too that requires a large no. of people with MR FX Lightsabres, BUT as I always know how fast things can change due to cut backs or sudden changes in plans, rules etc etc, cannot promise anything until it is confirmed which is near to the date. [face_worried]

As for FFSG Outings to the Exhibition itself, not much plans yet except for 1-2 dates in Dec. Will settle it later this month or early next month in another thread and get confirmation all ways. ;)

18. Yazid_Skywalker

Yazid_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 10, 2002
    looks like i'll be going in my anni again. need to borrow fx tho. anyone?

19. CoOLv1rus

Apr 23, 2003
    Abt the thing with a large ammt out people with FXs will be cool...exp for those without costumes all come with an FX in hand!! imagine the sight!

20. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    Well, I'm not sure if the person spoke with SSC yet (she wasn't able to get hold of someone the last time I check a few weeks ago when I went to her house for Moot so trying to recommand to the other) so keeping fingers crossed now. [face_praying]

21. DarthCrovus

DarthCrovus Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 3, 2005
    DE, Jean

Please check your pm. Really need to get things rolling if you guys are in.

22. Rayten

Rayten Jedi Youngling

Dec 9, 2004
    I have a huge complaint about the SW exhibition. They now have an official website for it:

http://www.starwarsexhibition.sg

Look carefully, what do you see? I mean, why didn't they use the dash or underscore key to seperate starwars from exhibition? When I first saw this word starwarsexhibition, it was on an email which starwars.sg had sent me, and I was like "what?" and it shocked me as the first thing my eyes focused in on was the S-word in the middle, then exhibtion, then starwars, then starwars exhibition, when it should be the other way around.

I believe the exhibtion is kid friendly, and they should be more thoughtful of such things, and it may give a negative image of the exhibition to the public, esp the more conservative.

One last thing, I usually log in to the internet from a public place and when I tried to visit starwarsexhibition.sg. it was blocked out because the browswer detected the S-word in the url.

23. CoOLv1rus

Apr 23, 2003
    are u just OVER REACTING??

24. JediJean

Apr 1, 2002
    Thanks for pointing that little detail out... thanks a lot... now there goes my innocence... o_O

I wonder how many other people actually noticed that... perhaps some people just have "certain things" on their mind more than others... oh well... [face_whistling]

25. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    Actually, his concern is valid as some PCs have Child-Friendly Browser. This will prevent some families or teens from checking out beforehand things to do with the exhibition at home or in school etc. I met with a friend who will be running one of the merchandise booth yesterday and she too complained that her home PC cannot access the website at all as she had put up her browser to be Child-Friendly.

SSC should had used http://www.science.edu.sg/starwars as their main url for the website as usual and http://wwww.starwarsexhibition.sg as one of the "shortcuts". [face_thinking]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.