SNG The Official Star Wars Exhibition Thread

Discussion in 'Asia & Africa General Discussion' started by Darth_Eagle, Jul 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rayten Jedi Knight

Well, I'm a guy, you're a girl. Someone once said that a guy thinks of "certain things" an average of six times every five minutes.
  2. JediJean Jedi Master

star 3
    Hi guys, there's an article about the Star Wars Exhibition in the TODAY newspaper today (28 Oct 2005)!!

Will try to post it here soon :)
  3. JediJean Jedi Master

star 3
    OK, here's the article...

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v84/padawan/Today_28Oct2005.jpg]

If it's too small to read, here's what it says...

THE FORCE WILL BE YOU
    The Art of Star Wars coming to Science Centre near you

By ZUL OTHMAN

THE Force sure is with the Singapore Science Centre. Well, at least it will be from Nov 19.

An exhibition of galactic proportions ? The Art of Star Wars ? will be opened on that date to give Star Wars fans and curious on-lookers a glimpse into the pop culture phenomenon set in a galaxy far, far away.

Organised by the Singapore Science Centre and Japan?s Hata Stiching Foundation in co-operation with Lucasfilm Limited (the company owned by Star Wars? creator George Lucas), the five-month-long exhibition will showcase over 270 unique and original artifacts culled from all six Star Wars episodes.

This is the first time this priceless collection ? put together at a cost of $1.8 million ? will be displayed outside Japan and the United States.

The first Star Wars movie, now re-titled Episode IV: A New Hope, was released in 1977 and became an instant worldwide hit.

Nearly 30 years on, the franchise has spawned five sequels as well as numerous novels, cartoons and television series.

And fans still can?t get enough of Star Wars.

At a press conference to announce the exhibition on Wednesday, Dr Chew Tuan Chiong ? the chief executive of the Singapore Science Centre ? said this is a very exciting development for the organisation.

Dressed in a long flowing Jedi robe, Dr Chew said: ?Although I am not a major Star Wars fan, I am aware of its importance in cinema history and how it pushed the envelope in movie making.

?It has captured the imagination of millions by combining romance, science fiction and art.

?More importantly, the robots and spaceships featured in the movie have made it easy for young people to appreciate science and technology.?

Occupying over 3,000 sq ft of space within the Science Centre grounds and insured for $14 million, the event will highlight more than 150 original posters, colour paintings and over 100 costumes.

It will also provide an in-depth analysis of the technology behind the creatures introduced in the latest movie Episode III: The Revenge of The Sith.

Exclusive to this exhibition will be a section named The Jedi Gym, which is aimed squarely at hardcore fanatics.

Fans will be able to test their Star Wars knowledge or see if they?re cut out for a stint at the Jedi Academy by controlling a ball?s movement with their minds.

As Dr Chew explained, these interactive exhibitions are all about making learning more fun.

He added: ?They are designed to ensure people have a hands-on experience of science. It doesn?t matter if they?re Star Wars
    fans or not.?

Fans would be interested to know that a representative from Lucasfilm will open the festival, with rumours suggesting that it will be George Lucas himself.

Dr Chew was understandably tightlipped about this development.

?While we are expecting word from Lucasfilm, we have no idea who it will be yet,? he said.

WHAT: THE ART OF STAR WARS
    WHEN: NOV 19 TO APRIL 3, 2006, 10AM TO 6PM.
    WHERE: THE SINGAPORE SCIENCE CENTRE.
    ADMISSION: $18 (ADULTS), $12 (CHILDREN).

The caption under the picture reads...

NO, I?M NOT YOUR SON: Dressed as a Jedi, Singapore Science Centre chief executive officer Dr Chew Tuan Chiong refuses to accept that Darth Vader is his father.

(Taken from the TODAY Newspaper, Singapore, Plus Section, Page 10, Friday, 28 Oct 2005)
  4. DarthCrovus Jedi Master

star 2
    hahahah that article.
    Just tibit information. Stormie was there too, but kinna out of it, as came from the battlefront fighting off rebels.

Most of the SSC bigshots were there, along with the Press. Food was good. Stormie drained the bowl of Jabba Juice, again! Damm Stormtroopers! heh.

As to the little thing about the opening night. Don't want to reveal things that are not confirmed yet, but there WILL be customed characters there on the 18th. Something special has been planned for the arrival of the President. Now to just get things done so that the plan can be put into action.

Cheers
  5. DarthCrovus Jedi Master

star 2
    Hey Guys,

Those of you who previously indicated interest to work at the exhibition. I have great news!

I am in contact with the agency who will be providing the manpower for the exhibition.
    They are looking for 20 personels to work full time (10am to 6pm) at the exhibition. 'O'/'A' lvls required.

Please contact me directly at 81136307, as I'm offering it you guys first and foremost.

This is confirmed and it will happen

Thanks and Cheers
  6. Darth_Eagle Fanforce CR Singapore

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    For Showhosts, only those who have GCE 'A' Level and above are allowed to apply.

Temporary Staff Required for Various Projects
    You should possess at least GCE 'A' Level and must be able to speak good English. You should have a cheerful disposition and enjoy working with people. As part of the job requirements, you must be able to perform shift work and work on all weekends and public holidays. Some front-line or customer service experiences will be an advantage.

Showhosts must be able to work Full-Time 6 times a week inclusive of Sat & Sun throughout the whole run of the Exhibition.

The other job available is for the Visitor Service Centre Personal:

Visitor Services Assistants (Full-time & Part-Time) (contract post)
    You will be responsible for providing information and assistance to visitors in the Centre and to service general and membership enquiries from the public. You are also expected to perform frontline services such as ticketing, operating rides and other duties assigned.
    You should possess a minimum of 3 GCE 'O' Levels and be able to speak good English. You must also have a cheerful disposition and enjoy working with people. It would be an advantage if you have some frontline or customer service experience and are able to operate the computer. You must be able to perform shift work and work on all weekends and public holidays.
  7. DarthCrovus Jedi Master

star 2
  8. JediJean Jedi Master

star 3
    LATEST NEWS!!!

Art of Star Wars exhibits arrive in Singapore
    Article by Daniel Chia
    Photography by Ng Hak Beng © 2005

Oh wow!! This is soooo exciting!
    The exhibits are finally here on our shores!!
    And the exhibition area is gonna be TWICE the size of the Lord of the Rings exhibition that was at the Science Centre before!
    Whoo-hoo!! :p
  9. JediJean Jedi Master

star 3
  10. JediJean Jedi Master

star 3
  11. JediJean Jedi Master

star 3
  12. JediJean Jedi Master

star 3
  13. Darth_Eagle Fanforce CR Singapore

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    GOOD NEWS!!!!! [face_dancing] [face_dancing]

Got the latest news today that NON-FLASH Photography is allowed in the Exhibition Hall!!!! [face_love] So get ready your cameras and either set it to Musuem Settings or switch off the flash.

Video Recording and Sketching is still Ban but with Photography, who needs Sketching? :p

As for list of costumes and armor off my head:
    - AOTC Padme White Battle Suit with Cape
    - ROTS Padme Purple Senate Dress
    - AOTC/ROTS IRG
    - ROTS Coruscant Guard
    - ROTS Anakin
    - ROTS Obi-Wan
    - ROTJ(?) Emperor Palpatine (Cane included)
    - Chewbacca
    - Jawas
    - Count Dooku
    - TPM Senator Palpatine Outfit
    - (Ahmed Best ROTS Senator Outfit)
    - Sly Moore
    - Boba Fett (not sure ESB or ROTJ)
    - OT Darth Vader (doesn't look like Bobble head and Groin Protected looked weathered so assumed)
    - TIE Pilot
    - Stormtrooper (not sure which version too)
    - Bail Organa "Speeder" Outfit (I think!)
    - One of the Battle Wookies from ROTS
    - AOTC C3PO
    - Darth Sidious Lightsabre
    - Darth Vader Lightsabre
    - ROTJ Luke Lightsabre
    - Mace Windu Lightsabre

And PLEASE keep your hand not beyond the barrier at all time or I'll show you how Sound travels Faster than Light! [face_shame_on_you]

For those who are volunteering, PLEASE SUBMIT YOUR FORMS AGAIN. Either bring it tomolo or this Sat with "STAR WARS EXHIBITION" written clearly on the top OR submit to volunteers@science.edu.sg (cut and paste this link!).

And if you are interested in volunteering on a particular day, please notify Susan at least 24-48 hours in advance and make sure you get a reply from them! No reply, no volunteering. If coming in costume, PLEASE notify me too.

More infos will be posted when they comes. ;)

Ps: If the Photography Policy is changed back to original, this post will be deleted.
  14. JediJean Jedi Master

star 3
    That's right folks!
    You heard our City Rep!!
    It is good news indeed! [face_dancing]

And here's the news as it was posted to me by Daniel Chia of StarWars.sg......

Dear Star Wars fans ,

BREAKING NEWS !!!

Singapore Science Centre has obtained clearance from Lucasfilm regarding
    the taking of photographs , and it is now confirmed.

PHOTOGRAPHY IS ALLOWED at the Art of Star Wars !

There are some conditions though .... no flash photography is allowed ( to
    protect the artifacts ) and no video recording is allowed.

It's still good news for Star Wars fans though !

So yup yup yup... it's ALL GOOD!! [face_dancing]
  15. Yazid_Skywalker Jedi Master

star 4
  16. Jedi_Healer Jedi Master

star 2
    Guys, note that tomorrow we meet at 10am at MacDonalds instead of 8am. We collect our passes, then we enter in and change. I don't think we want people waiting for two hours outside..

Thanks muchly, and see you all!!

- Healer over and out.
  17. darshaassant Jedi Knight

star 2
    Oh well... this is what I get for being away for too long.... did you guys get free entries? Haha finally got to see the costumers in 'action' yesterday (19th). Haha it was great... got 3rd and 4th placing at the trivia machine... hope it doesn't wipe its memory on a daily basis so I will stay there. Muahahaha. Er... when's the next outing? I would like to go along (especially if there is free entry) :p. THanks!
  18. Jedi_Healer Jedi Master

star 2
    Hello!! Remember me? I met you at the Jedi Gym... Dressed as Barriss Offee. Heh, I think our next outing would be Dec 11 when the Malaysian people come down for the AOSW (someone correct me if I'm wrong). Anyway, great to see ya back with us.

Oh yeah and we did get a free entry in. Thanks muchly to Reno. XD
  19. Darth_Eagle Fanforce CR Singapore

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    Yub! :) Our next Official one is Dec 11th, Sunday. The rest aka majority of the MySciFi Group will be arriving around 2-3pm in costumes/armor. Hopefully I'll be in costumes too. [face_praying] Dec 12th, Monday the MySciFi Group should be entering the exhibition hall but I understand, since most here will be schooling or working (duh!), attendances are optional.

Anyway, you all are kept being asked for on Sat. [face_dancing] Once the exhibition opened, many visitors keep asking when the Costumed Talents will be arriving as it was put in the newspaper that you all will be around from 10am-12pm. I heard it even stated that C3PO and R2D2 characters will be around too. :eek: Not too sure as the past 3 days, I hasn't been able to check the newspaper except Sat & Sun's TNP.

And on Sun, visitors are asking if the costumed talents will be around too. Have to keep telling them that for now, no more costumed talents appearances.

So on behalf of the Crew of the AoSW Exhibition, thank you for coming on Fri and Sat (especially Sat ;) ).

For the rest, gear up for our next Outing on Dec 11th, Sunday! ;)
  20. darshaassant Jedi Knight

star 2
    Heh yeah, I do remeber. Nice face paint. Will there be free entry on Dec 11th? :p Need to save up for Darth Potato Head.
  21. Yazid_Skywalker Jedi Master

star 4
    darshaassant? which one were u? did i meet u?
  22. GetzJedi Force Ghost

star 1
    The next time, tell the visitors that we would be there on 11 Dec... Think you abuse your position and get a changing room for us? We'll take pictures with visitors in exchange... Hee hee...
  23. CoOLv1rus Jedi Knight

star 1
    maybe a meal voucher or two since we are such thick skinned crowd pullers...
  24. Jedi_Healer Jedi Master

star 2
    And transport to SC since some of us live at the other end... XD

LOL jk.
  25. kimbilili-k-s Jedi Knight

star 2
    sigh...as fate would have it, we're going to the exhibition on the only two weekends in the whole of nov and dec that i'm not free in...

oh well, i can only visit the forums and cry. :'(
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.