main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Official Star Wars Novel 'Chapter to Chapter' Study Thread! (Now diss. TPM; ch.1)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Dark_Faith, Jul 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark_Faith

Dark_Faith Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 30, 2004
    Welcome everyone to a new idea I had. Some of you may be familiar with Moleman1138's CBCs in the PT, CT and Sci Fi forums where he has threads discussing movies chapter by chapter of their DVD. I always loved the idea and thought it would be interesting to incorporate into the novels by discussing, studying and waxing on all aspects, angles and perceptions of each SW novel, cover to cover and chapter by chapter. You can discuss everything from the writing, to the story, to the characters, to continuity issues (with other books or comics or movies), to differences from the novel and the movie (for the novelizations), to philosophical and metaphoric discussions, and beyond; Encompassing a broad range of intellectual and fan obsessed banter which will hopefully allow us to dig deeper into the SW mythos and harken a deeper understanding and perhaps appreciation of the Star Wars Expanded Universe stories and timeline and just the SW legend and history in general. Its a fresh ides for the lit forums and I already got an approval from Rogue_Follower, and I think it will be a nice way to bring the fans together in an organized and orderly fashion. I hope you all like it.

Here's how it works. Each week, I will post a chapter sypnosis and and my own input, then we will be discussing that chapter until the next week, though ofcourse you can still discuss the chapter even when have moved on to others. Rogue_Follower has only permitted me to keep this all in one thread so I edit the thread title with each new chapter. Ok? Simple as that. :) If you have any comments, questions or complaints, PM me. Don't post it in the thread. Thank you.

Now, I was always interested in seeing if the SW Saga (as in the movie saga) works in written form. If each novelization can fit together as one big stand alone saga (as the movies do) without the other EU. If they flow into each other and pack an epic and cohesive narrative. In this case we will be discussing the novelizations of TPM, AOTC, ROTS, ANH, ESB and ROTJ. I don't know how things will be when we finish this, and I probably will take a break from this afterwards so when we come to that, I will gladly let someone else host this thread if I am not up to it, and continue discussing until we manage to cover 'all' the books. I was thinking of doing it in Chronological order (starting 'Path to Destruction' in October) but I reason its going to be useless because I'm sure there's going to even earlier timeline books in the near future that will deter us.

Thus, we shall begin where it all started. With the original 'Star Wars Saga' Which I label: 'The Skywalker Saga.' Or alas, The origins of the Skywalker Legacy' saga. Some people may call The Journal of the Whills..

Our first book will be, 'Star Wars Episode One The Phantom Menace' by Terry Brooks. Based on the story and screenplay by George Lucas.

The grand beginning of The Official Star Wars Novel 'Chapter to Chapter' Study thread will begin in the next 20 minutes or so.

I once again welcome you all and do hope you really enjoy this. I know I will.

2. Dark_Faith

Jan 30, 2004
    Star Wars 'Chapter to Chapter' Study Thread Book One

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away....

Star Wars Episode One The Phantom Menace

By Terry Brooks.

Chapter One.
    Discussion: July 08 2006-July 15 2006.
    Pages: 03-11. (paperback)

Overview:
    Anakin Skywalker is locked in a heated race in Watto's Podracer through Mos Espa Racing curcuit. They race through such locations as Beggar's canyon, Arch Canyon, Jag Crag Gorge, and Metta Drop. A few of the fellow racers are Sebulba, Mawhonic, Gasgano and Rimkar. Anakin feels as one with his pod and the things that should be blurry and quick appear clear and normal to him. His strange instincts guide him through the race. He feels as if his mother's presence keeps him safe. They race around twists and turns, through caves and craters. Rimkar crashes into a mountion thanks to Sebulba's dirty tricks but Anakin is able to somehow 'forsee' it and avoids it. Though it costs him the race, he is able to keep his life. Watto's pod is damaged and he will not be happy.

Thoughts:

This is a good introduction chapter. As we know, this is Terry Brook's original writing and wasen't ever in the script but its nice to meet Anakin a little early and it reminds me of the Luke-Biggs-Camie-Fixer scene at the begening of ANH in that it introduces the main hero and his home in the opening chapters. Reading all the movies novels in order, this would be our first glimpse of Tatooine and Mos Espa in particular. As well as all the gorges, caves and mountions the race covers. I love Terry's artistic yet basic description of things. It feels like a fairy tale but with science fiction elements which is what SW is about. This chapter also introduces us for the first time to Anakin Skywalker, his mother Shimi Skywalker, Sebulba, many of the other racers and the two headed Troig who announces the race. Some may note that this chapter references the event that Watto refers to in the movie. "What will the boy race? He smashed up my Pod in the last race!" and it gives a little more to Anakin little expression and lowering of his head when Watto mentions this. It also establishes the fact that Anakin is special and has this strange feeling, and that he is the only human to fly a Pod, and Terry takes the time (unlike Lucas in the film) to explain 'why' this is, what with requring multiple eyes, and arms etc. The desert feels so hot and expansive in this chapter. I have a hard time imagining a cheering audience since this is not something like the Boonta Eve special, but just another expedition run. We get a glimpse of Anakin's ambition and his pride. We learn Sebulba's treachery and Shimi's worry for Anakin. But one of the things I really really love about this chapter is Anakin's age is not mentioned until the very end of the chapter. We hear about this person who is so advanced and skilled and special; Racing these pods and doing all these moves, but then it is only at the very end that we gaze upon the true genious of this boy...for he will just be turning ten in a year.

3. Darth_Angle

Darth_Angle Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 13, 2006
    The writing was fairly good and did keep my interest. I was never a big fan of anything "podracing" to be honest but then I'm not a fan of real world motorsport either. I agree it is a good introduction for Anakin, it rightly shows him as special. I would have prefered the book to have opened with the traditional movies space shot but as an opening chapter not bad.

4. Dark_Faith

Jan 30, 2004
    Well you see, the first word is: 'Tatooine'. So I assume it means a space shot. Motorracing was never my favorate either, but I love Podracing! :D There's something quite special about seeing people having just a fun SPORT. There not in a war or battle or racing to save the fate of the universe..there racing for sport and its good to tell the glory days of the galaxy.

5. Dark_Faith

Jan 30, 2004
    It still never fails me how effective this opening chapter is. It gets right down to the point. As I read further in the book, elements that are introduced in this chapter pay off brilliantly later and have a better grounding thanks to this chapter. Though one critque would be that it replicates the main podrace later and maybe steals some fire from it. Does anyone think this?

Oh and I forgot to mention that we first find out that Anakin and his mother are slaves here, which is going to be fleshed out later on.

The race though in this chapter is very exciting and I love how Terry names all the areas. Did Terry Brooks make up the names himself or did he get them from notes of Lucas?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.