main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Official Star Wars or Lord of the Rings Discussion

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Dark_Master_I, Oct 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark_Master_I

Dark_Master_I Jedi Youngling star 1

May 26, 2002
    This thread is to discuss whether the Star Wars Saga is more of a crowd pleaser than the Lord of the Rings Saga.
    What do you fine people think?

Mod Edit: Fixed title :)

2. Ghosts_Of_Anakin

Ghosts_Of_Anakin Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    You know what...before I saw FOTR, I thought that it wouldn't hold a candle to Star Wars, but after I saw it, I couldn't believe how good it was. Don't get me wrong...I will always love SW, but LOTR is REALLY good..

3. lumberjedi

lumberjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 17, 2002
    I didnt like FOTR, too long, and I couldn't get into the books.

4. Dark_Master_I

Dark_Master_I Jedi Youngling star 1

May 26, 2002
    To reply with Ghosts_Of_Anakin I agree with you when I first saw the trailer I thought what is this. Then I started hearing more about it so I read the books and anyone who has read them would probably think that the second on was the best, I know I do.

5. The_Abstract

The_Abstract Jedi Master star 4

Jul 16, 2002
    How about we talk about if Lord of the Rings can ever come close to the brilliance that is Star Wars?

:D

6. TenderHeart

TenderHeart Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 3, 2002
    They're too different to say one is better than the other. Can't they both be great in their own respective genres?

7. Ghosts_Of_Anakin

Jul 1, 2002
    That is absolutely true...we're talking about two separate sagas, each unique in their own way. Star Wars combines science fiction and science fact, while LOTR combines fairy tales and mythology. But, each series tells its own story and people really should leave it at that. I'm a fan of both and I will admit it. :)

8. Ret

Ret Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 17, 1999
    Yes.

9. DARTH_CHINA

DARTH_CHINA Jedi Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Each one is good.

But Star Wars will always be n°1 for me :)

10. annie_skywalker001

annie_skywalker001 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 14, 2002
    Lord of the Rings was excellent. Star Wars was better. ;)

11. AERYN_SUN

AERYN_SUN Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 1, 2001
    the first time i saw lotr, i couldn't believe how incredibly long the movie was. at one point, my leg actually fell asleep and i have to revive it, twist and kick it around. and i found myself apologizing to my family for taking them because it was really long.

i definitly won't be in line to see the second installment if i know the movie is going to be that long.

12. DarthTader

DarthTader Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 2, 2002
    Yes LOTR was long, but it was good. Im a Tokin and a Starwarsfreek. Dont make me choose, or i cry. :_|

13. SLAVE2

SLAVE2 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    Star Wars for me, LOTR is good. But no matter how annoying Jar Jar is, Tom Bombadil is worse.

14. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    One is fantasy, the other is sci-fi. It's like comparing apples to oranges. I like them both, but prefer Star Wars.

15. Ret

Ret Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 17, 1999
    Then what is Star Trek?

16. Ghosts_Of_Anakin

Jul 1, 2002
    Star Wars: Men in Tights?? :confused:

17. Alybrylla

Alybrylla Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 12, 2002
    ^
    |
    |
    |
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Over all, I like Star Wars better... I'm just going through a mini-LOTR phase (not for the books, just the movies - even though 2 of them aren't out yet).

18. Ghosts_Of_Anakin

Jul 1, 2002
    Actually, the books are really good...I'm reading "The Hobbit" right now...my friend has every single book that Tolkien wrote about the series. He loves them.

19. Jedi Greg Maddux

Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 3, 1999
    I'll borrow a quote from "You Only Live Twice" to answer this:

Bond: Why do Chinese girls taste different from all other girls?
    Chinese girl: You think we better, ha??
    Bond: No, just different. Peking duck is different from Russian caviar but I love them both!

They both rock my world. But if I had to choose between the two, and since I got into SW first, I'll pick SW by a slim margin. :)

GO 'CLONES!

20. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    No contest for me. LOTR was boring, long, and hilariously dumb at times. SW is a masterpiece. But that's just my opinion...

21. AssassinDroid21

AssassinDroid21 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    Well, both movies are on the same level to me, so I'll judge by the books.

Star Wars books are mostly awesome, but can be corny at times. The FOTR book was very well done and I can't find any flaws ( :mad: except that they left out Tom Bombaldil! :mad: )

I dono whats better, I like em both, in different ways. But what pisses me off is that most people bash LOTR or Star Trek just because they are rivals to SW. Think for yourself, and dont go with the crowd.

~~~~~ This has been a life lesson from AssassinDroid21 ~~~~~

22. ADMIRALSPUZZUM

ADMIRALSPUZZUM Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 13, 2002
    You CANNOT even attempt to judge the two together. LOTR is a book. If you want true LOTR, you have to read the books. Just like SW is a movie series. If you want true SW you have to watch the movies, NOT the books. Anybody who's read them knows that.

By the way, I do think the LOTR movie is good. If you read the books, you'd have an understanding for why it's so long.

23. Sophita

Sophita Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    Books-

The LOTR series wins, hands down, because IMO, Star Wars does not convey itself as well in a literary medium as it does in a visual one. Lord of the Rings, on the other hand, does suit itself to a book very well. (And it kinda helps that the author is J.R.R. Tolkien instead of, oh...Kevin J. Anderson. :p )

Movies-

SW hands down. LOTR is always going to be a bit lacking on the big screen compared to the books, IMO. For one thing, it's nearly impossible to cover that long a book trilogy without having a long movie-Look how long FOTR is alone! I don't mind long movies, but glancing at the responces here, I'm guessing most of you don't particularily like long movies. Imagine how long FOTR would have been had they included everything. 0_0

However, because they didn't include everything, they automatically get scorned by some people because their favorite events/characters weren't on screen, or they dislike the editing.

However, SW does not have that disadvantage because (well, the movies anyway) have never been a book first-As such, they don't have the drawbacks of that.

Man I hope that made sense...

24. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    Star Wars!!!

25. JediRuler

JediRuler Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 15, 2002
    A agree with TenderHeart! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.