main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Official StarWars.com Blog Thread - That's right, I went there

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Sep 24, 2013.

1. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Daala isn't justified in existing.

2. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I think this was the first reference to the Unification Wars outside of the ICS!

I think the EU is finally completed... [face_hypnotized]

Did you also notice that the base destroyed in the 2nd Kaarenth Dissension adventure is the other faux-Death Star?

3. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Yes, it's just perfect.

Halagad_Ventor likes this.
  4. Grand Admiral Paxis

Grand Admiral Paxis Jedi Master star 3

Sep 2, 2012
    *Stares at his screen, completely dumbstruck.*
    They did it. They actually did it. They found a way to make Ennix Devian into a cool and compelling villain... [face_hypnotized]

Halagad_Ventor, Eyrezer and Revanfan1 like this.
  5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Oh hey, something new! I think I like this one even better than the previous one. Usual comments ensue:

-- Bit of a movie theme with these titles.

-- Delvardus is Mr. Freeze, except rather more culpable.

-- Thalassa is a cool name for a ship; I generally approve of Greek-inspired names for Imperial ships (goes well with the theme seen in SW: Rebellion, as seen in the list of names I posted in the social thread).

-- is the Quitad of Eriadu new?

-- Boy, the Emperor sure loves promising people how to save their significant others from death.

-- It's been a while since I've read Darksaber, but it's kind of funny that Delvardus actually wanted to unite the warlords, given his attitude in the books. 'course, the guy probably wanted to unite them under his banner, something most of the rest of them would have wanted to try themselves.

-- Colonel Cronus's first name Ivan is new, isn't it?

-- So his mistress dies onboard an SSD? Reminds me of a certain Intelligence director's rumored fate...

-- Arrowhead Command? According to EgtW, the sector commands as of the Clone Wars would have put the Arrowhead under Azure Hammer Command, White Cuirass Command, and Green Mantle Command. 'course, that doesn't mean a new command couldn't have been created afterwards, but it does complicate things, esp with AZHAMCOM referenced in many sources to be responsible for Sector Zero specifically. And Harrsk was in command? How does this relate to the different officers responsible for Core Worlds security at the time: Grand Moff Rufaan Tigellinus, Advisor Bregius Golthan, and now Admiral Blitzer Harrsk? Obviously they're from different areas of service: Tigellinus is administrative, Golthan is a court official, and Harrsk is military so the three of them could, in fact, work together (Harrsk reports to Tigellinus who reports to Golthan, perhaps?) I had the impression that the person assigned to Core Worlds security was a plenipotentiary but there are two many officials named for that to work; good thing Teshik was already disgraced by this point or he'd add another complication to the mix, heh! Anyway, how did you see this arrangement working out?

-- "With Harrsk temporarily incapacitated, his second-in-command Bolla Thoath agreed to follow Captain Pellaeon’s orders that the Imperial fleet flee Endor and regroup at Annaj." -- you mean consented to his mutiny and desertion :p

-- ...okay, I was going to talk about how interesting Harrsk's survival of Daala's assassination was, and then you had to throw in THAT twist? And now the whole Endor situation is even more confusing. I feel like you're messing with my brain here :p

-- Two Teradocs? Well, that does explain the confusion over his domain, plus what that Teradoc in MK was busy doing.

-- Raiders of the ryloth Ark? :p

-- "outdated girly boats" lol. Kosh Teradoc is the governator?

-- heh, Grand Moff Selit. Now that's a name I've not heard in a long time -- excluding Warfare of course. Fun to see all these WEG types coming back.

-- "plasma-writhing leviathans like colossal deities of war" nice turn of phrase

-- Yeah, not very happy with that monstrous thug Devian being admitted anywhere close to the Emperor's inner circle, much less alongside occasional favorites such as Screed, Trachta, and Doriana ('course, I think of the latter two as little more than ignorant stooges who don't know the real score like Dangor or Pestage, so... if he's a pet that thinks he's more important to the Emperor than he actually is, that's fine. He's basically a Rottweiler :p ). 'course, the guy's not nearly as loyal as a dog...

-- okay, yeah, he's basically like a brutal implement. That's fine I guess, that's basically what he was in CE3. I was totally on the NR's side on that one (don't die of shock, anyone!)

-- I'm not familiar with the Kaarenth Dissension, and a quick search shows why -- SWAJ #8! I don't think that's among my collection. I should fix that.

-- "audacious if discrete" intentional?

-- lol, the DS3 is fake. That's great. It's also amusing that it all took place while Endor was the provisional capital of the Rebellion; makes sense why they'd have so many ships there. Basically, he pulled a prank on them, probably laughing the whole time or something.

-- "and positioned the Imperial Ruling Council to cannibalize itself." Imperial Interim Ruling Council, I must insist, and not the same Imperial Ruling Council that existed pre-Endor, nor the Emperor's Ruling Circle that followed it. The IRC is the pre-Endor governing council of the Empire composed of the highest of the Imperial Advisors, the ERC is members of that led by Dangor allied with military, political, and economic leaders originally forming an anti-Pestage cabal, and the IIRC is a group of conspirators that tried to kill off the Emperor. The first two groups were Loyalists, the third group was not -- and the only member of the IIRC who was apparently in the ERC was D'Asta, while the rest were opportunists and dirtbags with no legitimate claim to galactic imperium at all. I'm a patriot, this is important. :p

6. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    I have to admit I have a soft spot for Devian since his scheme was something I came up with for an (awful) NJO fanfic after I saw Episode II in 2002.

7. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    It was also in one the WEG "classic adventure" collections (the one that was selections from the SWAJ). It was a mysterious Empire splinter-group that featured in two adventures and hasn't been followed up on until now.

8. Protectorate

Protectorate Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 11, 2013
    It's also the name of Tarkin's wife. Delvardus' reputation as a womanizer might imply some very interesting things here...

We know that D'Asta didn't know about the plot, because his daughter took over for him during the conspiracy. So I'm not sure Baron D'Asta was ever a member of the IIRC. Though that just raises more questions, since she was replaced by a clone...and then killed in CE3...so...not sure if the original daughter knew about the sabotage of the clone stock.

9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Ah, that's right. So since we know that Lord D'Asta was on the Council (which council that is can only be made clear by context, since recent sources tend to use "Imperial Ruling Council" for everything) prior to the conspiracy but probably not before Endor, he was probably one of the powerful tycoons who joined Dangor's ERC. He had the largest private fleet during the time of CE, after all, and was still surely significant prior to that. Given his apparent loyalty to the Empire, it's probably unlikely he'd have ever gone along with the conspiracy himself: but since we know that Lady Feena was replaced fairly early, it was probably her clone that was in on the conspiracy and joined the IIRC (where she was probably considered their "Establishment" member, alongside their naval representative, their media representative, their bureaucrat representative, etc). Black Sun probably saw something to gain, or just had a grudge against the Emperor given the Empire's treatment of Black Sun. So... yeah, actually, that all works ratherwell.

10. Plaristes

Plaristes Jedi Master star 3

Jul 2, 2007
    :eek: Death Star III!!! Tao!!! [face_hypnotized]^:)^ That's two references to "Perfect Evil" in Abel's recent blog posts. Now I'd love a retcon that reconciles it's account of how Vader learned of the name of the rebel who blew up the Death Star with Marvel/Vader's Quest and Star Wood. [face_praying]

11. Grand Admiral Paxis

Grand Admiral Paxis Jedi Master star 3

Sep 2, 2012
    Okay, so after re-reading this masterpiece, I'll once again be subjecting you all to my notes and observations.

- On a side note, the link on the front page of the site has the word Blog just over Devian's mouth, and the letter B makes it look like Devian has bucky teeth. I'm nothing, if not easily amused. [face_laugh]

- A nice explanation of why Delvardus, a Naval officer, bestows himself with an Army title and the repercussions it had amongst the rank and file.

- General Veers was described as passing into the services of various warlords post-Endor. It's nice to see a reference to that.

- Delvardus being lured into the Emperor's service with the promise of his love being saved has some nice parallels with the corruption of Anakin, and makes him a much more human, tragic figure. I'd always remembered Delvardus as "that total bad%$^# who tried to fashion his medals into a knife and stab Daala with his dying breath" so making him a more human character was a nice touch.

- I can't help but get the feeling that Delvardus' love being confined to a secret medcentre in a SSD was inspired by the fan theory about Isard being kept alive after her supposed death. Well played, sirs. Well played.

- The re-read of Harrsk's bio is pretty hilarious once you know the turn it's going to take. I can't help but imagine Pellaeon being beyond befuddled as Harrsk agrees with him one minute and rants and raves about his illegitimacy the next.

- When it said Harrsk survived his gassing, I was expecting him to be linked to one of the many attempts on Daala's life. I somehow did not see that coming...

- Nice to see the relationship between Treuten and Kosh firmly established. I'd always assumed that Kosh was just one of the warlord's relatives who fell in with the unified warlords after Daala gassed them, and tagged along with Pelly to the Remnant. I like this story much more.

- Piethet Brighteyes and the raiders of the Ryloth Ark? [face_laugh]

- Words cannot describe how happy I am that the red VSD's of Crimson Command have finally been tied to the havod-hulled Star Destroyers mentioned during the Rawmat shortage in the Core. I've been calling for that connection for a long time, along with a few others, so to see that finally made canon.... I guess you could say I'm... tickled pink. YEAH!!! :cool:

- I remember Zakrinand Minus as being likened to Xim the Despot and was always curious about him. I'm glad to see what time period he comes from!

- I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Somehow, against all the odds, you actually made Devian cool. I feel like there's some kind of award I should be giving you...

- I'm intrigued by the reference to Vandron as "party leader". While it was probably just a vague term to denote his leadership of COMPNOR rather than anything specific, as someone inspired by the fantastic works of Publius, I can't help but hope it hints to a New Order Party.

- TAO! Between this and Hoar, Abel is seemingly on a mission to get the entire manga canonised. Surely it won't be long now until Leland has to come out and say the whole thing is canon...

- As soon as I saw the title Kaarenth Impaler, I just knew they were going to link it to the Dissension! That was a great reference.

- The Death Star III has finally been linked to the habitation spheres, in a way that's convincing and not awkwardly shoehorned in! Interesting to see them referred to as worldcraft. Does that make them the same as Hethrir's? I remember James McFadden mentioning that he had a solution of his own to the DSIII that he wanted to include in Convenient Daily Departures. Was that his idea, or did Abel and Dan come up with it independently?

- Nice mention of COMPNOR serving as one of the factions during the Imperial Civil War, a hint at one of Schmong's descendents, and more intrigue relating to Kaine's death.

- Not only does Durrei's activities with the Dissension get addressed, but he's established as the lover of Arden Lyn and their capture by Palpatine is expanded on! Neat!

All in all, an amazing installment and I'm glad there's still at least one more left. If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say Prentioch, Lankin and Drommel will probably show up next. Some coloured pictures of them, along with an explanation of what happened to Lankin would be awesome, but I'm hoping we get to see some more obscure warlords like Delurin. Either way, I can't wait to see what comes next!

12. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    The New Order Party is canon -- or rather, its presence in planetary politics is canon though it's never been made fully clear whether the Party had a presence in the Senate as well. It would make sense though, given the general totalitarian vibe around COMPNOR and the New Order. Publius's version of the NOP is a combination of pre-existing Galactic Senate political parties he developed in his fictional treatments of the Empire (more often known as IRU-ND in coalition than the NOP). All we know about the Senate's parties is during the republican period: we know of the Rationalist party, along with the Core faction and Rim faction (which may have well been coalitions themselves).

Galaxywide NewsNets refers to the New Order Party on Esseles winning the local planetary elections. This article suggests that Kaine may have had a role in founding the galactic level organization (possibly) with Vandron later taking leadership, perhaps?

The DESB describes COMPNOR's role in the Imperial Mutiny, as well as their chosen name for the conflict. I think you can judge my sympathies by what I choose to call it :p

The narrative as we see in the DESB: Ars Dangor convenes the Imperial Advisors on Coruscant to select a new emperor from amongst their ranks. The mofference demands a seat at the table, and moreover, votes proportionate to the worlds they control. The advisors reject the proposal. Meanwhile the "wealthy party leadership and corrupt functionaries" of COMPNOR watch from the sidelines, upset to be left out and exploiting their brainwashed followers: the COMPForce folks and other New Order types who demanded ideological purity tests. THEN, to make things more hilarious, the Inquisitors show up and nurse resentments at all and sundry because everyone hates them so they hate everyone, and they just decide to hold a bunch of show trials. Nobody expected that. And then the military shows up and demands the right to decide what's what, since after all, Thrawn had been one of them. And everyone else is like "yeah, but Thrawn lost."

Chaos then ensues. COMPNOR/ISB call it "The War of Purification." It's not clear what the military or mofference call it, and the court advisors call it the Mutiny.

13. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    That's because the end of his article reveals
    his mind split into two personalities and the part that took over from the real Thoath (now dead) agreed with Pellaeon, while the irrational half didn't know about it.
    Indeed. :D:D:D

14. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    No, it dates back to GATORW. I'm still waiting on confirmation that the Eriadu Valorums are a Quintad family.

As for the article, Night Hammer being named after Delvardus hitting his beloved mistress in the head with a space hammer is the dumbest thing I've ever seen. I kind of love it. I mean, the character came out of Darksaber, so I guess it's appropriate.

The profile on Harrsk is pretty fascinating, though his assumption of dual personalities raises several questions about how they actually manifested in public -- did anyone else think Thoath was still alive? Was Harrsk's split personality noticeable to his subordinates? Having a literal madman as a warlord certainly creates some intriguing possibilities.

I love the Teradoc piece, which really takes advantage of what initially seemed a throwaway relative to rationalize Teradoc's split territory by creating two warlords Teradoc without deconstructing the Teradoc we thought we knew too much. I quite like the running theme of role-model influence, too.

The Devian bit is inspired. Tons of retcons from all over building this crappy character into something interesting. I especially like his background as a Party/ISB/enforcer guy; it's nice not to have every warlord be an admiral. Also, has the long, twisting saga of Kaine's mysterious death finally come to an end with the revelation that Devian was behind it?

Great piece. Glad to see there's more coming.

15. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Colonel Cronus has a first name!!

Federated Teradoc Union. Great stuff.

Nergon-14, baby!

16. JMM

JMM Author: The Forgotten War, SW Fact File star 3 VIP

Jul 9, 1998
    I never really discussed that with Dan and Abel, so that's all theirs. But I actually would've come up with a similar solution. I didn't settle on who would've done it, but I did toy with the idea of someone making a fake DS based on that type of sphere. They went the extra mile by making it one of the ones in that very image! Great job, guys!

I have to admit, someone mentioned this article to me and so far all I've read is the Devian section. :)

One random comment I will make. One could at first glance consider the mention of the DS3 being a distraction for the Alliance of Free Planets an error since the battle should be set a couple of months after the New Republic was founded. But it only says Devian decided to modify it near the Alliance base. Maybe our heroes didn't notice it until a couple of months later. :)

17. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Nice way of tying the Dissension in with one of the “bigger” Warlords, though now I am kind of wondering since the article series is set to continue, who is actually left to mention. Tavira, Daala (?), Drommel? :confused:

18. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    Why several months though? I remember Leland stating it in a blog entry, but nothing beyond that. Is there a line or other reference on the park ride that indicated several months after the Battle of Endor?

19. JMM

Jul 9, 1998
    Maybe they can make up one or two. We don't really know whatever became of Jaxxon...

20. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Warlord Ric Olie?

21. JMM

Jul 9, 1998
    Not several, just a couple. I think that works based on Leland's semi-official date, which placed it 4.3 ABY. I interpret that to mean the Battle of Endor, plus three or four months. Though I left it more vague than that, just placing it during the war with the Tof, which I ended up extending past the formation of the New Republic in my Nagai-Tof article a while back. :) So, there is still some room to play with the exact date, I guess.

22. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Everybody should just use Great Resynchronization dating. ABY is awkward given that Yavin was at 35:3 and all.

23. JMM

Jul 9, 1998
    Yes, that "4.3" dating was definitely vague. I really liked the fact that the old WEG dating scheme was reintroduced on Holonet News and picked up later by Essential Atlas. Though its basically gone from 10-months to 12-months. I think you have to leave the ABY dates for people to follow along without doing the math, but using the other scheme to be more specific in-universe is a good idea.

24. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah like comics and books can still use ABY for their front matter (I prefer Bantam's Endor dating for stuff set after ROTJ though) while reference material can try to pin things down with IU dates... if only to make fewer headaches for all of us. The immediately post-ANH content could really use it.

25. JMM

Jul 9, 1998
    Incidentally, the date for Star Tours wasn't completely dreamed up by Leland. The original ride has Threepio mentioning their time with the Ewoks in ROTJ, so it was always set after that movie. Then there was a Gamer article by Dan Wallace and others years later that didn't use the name "Star Tours" but made obvious references to a company offering trips to Endor in the months following ROTJ. Leland may have used one or both of those for his purposely vague date. (He added a "?" next to it.)