main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Official StarWars.com Blog Thread - That's right, I went there

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    :eek:

There's apparently no meeting or Powerpoint presentation Motti can't interrupt. Remind me of never seeing a movie with him.
    Okay, I'm not sleeping tonight.
    But this is still great. I'd like a complete novel of searching the body (as long as it is not found, there are some things humans and aliens were not meant to know).

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Heh -- okay, I love Motti playing the skeptic here, and particularly towing the New Order Party line. Guy never was much of a thinker, after all. Although I must still shake my first Havac for the canon Conan :p

It's nice to see some bits on the slave race revolt against the Rakata, too. One of the most interesting theses of the Essential Atlas was where it said that the establishment of the Republic originated in the need to unite against the Rakata. I also don't recall if this is the first mention of the plague that struck the Rakata or not, but it helps show how the subject peoples were able to rise up against their oppressors: they didn't need to adapt, and the Rakata couldn't. See, I'm much more interested in the dawn of the Republic than the dawn of the Jedi :D

edit: Also, I love that the Separatists are still a bogeyman in 1BBY. I like to think that Imperial propagandists were quick to identify Mothma's movement with the Separatists (indeed, harkening back to the book's mention of how Organa was a bit uncomfortable with working alongside former Seppies).

3. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Man Motti is such an ass. :p

4. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    Interesting how the GFFA goes through a cycle of Dark Side regimes rising and falling.

5. Lugija

Oct 3, 2009
    [​IMG]

6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Hopefully at some point people will realize that the dark side just isn't the best idea :p

purplerain likes this.
  7. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    And will stop assuming that the Sith are extinct.

8. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

Or that the Mandos are not. [face_batting]

9. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    Huh?

10. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

Mandos were extinct for a while but apparently got better

11. Lugija

Oct 3, 2009
    When you have an all-encompassing power field that any dark-aligned guy can use to get control of the galaxy and all sorts of groups that just want to fight anyone, it's really a miracle that not every evil regime is destroyed by yet another evil regime led by the next evil mastermind.

12. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011

Miracle? I'd call it a tragedy.

That sounds like it would be highly entertaining.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  13. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I just don't know why people go along with it. Every time I jump into TOR for instance, I marvel at how the Sithlings have this entire military apparatus at their beck and call -- why? What stake do regular people have in it? We didn't see the slave races all cheery and happy to serve the Rakata. People served the Galactic Emperor because he controlled the legitimate government and because he never let on that he was a Sith lord possessed of a power nobody else could have. But if it's out and open that you're Sith, who would ever want to serve them?

Zeta1127 likes this.
  14. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Yeah, I can see why they didn't include that. Interesting, though, that there's no mention of the Star Forge or its role in the Jedi Civil War. You'd think that'd be more well documented than the historical accounts of the Infinite Empire.

15. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I imagine that was precisely the sort of stuff that was in the Jedi Archives that the guy alluded to wanting to examine. I don't think that the public had any knowledge of the Forge (you can even judge by the lack of mention to it even as close in time as KOTOR2) -- it mostly looked like an internal Jedi spat, so only the Jedi would have really thorough records about it.

And really, even by the time of TOR, well-informed people think the Rakata are a myth too, even after their role in the whole Revan thing.

16. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

Hmm... who knows the Jedi might have been rather hush hush about the whole thing, after all Revan was once one of theirs and giving other people the idea to go looking for more Forges to plug Jedi into does not sound that wise.

17. Valin__Kenobi

Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji star 4 VIP

Mar 30, 2004
    Jeez, looks like I miss a lot by only checking on here every week or two. Both of these are fantastic, just fantastic. I never quite understood the fascination with the Wheel myself, but when all of the material is pulled together in such a masterful way it's a lot easier to appreciate.

Sounds like one of those wistful joke titles someone would toss around Lit, doesn't it? Like Jedi Knight III or The Essential Guide to Ars Dangor. Clearly the audience for these is a niche of a niche, but I'm willing and eager to be pandered to. :p

18. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I will write the Essential Guide to Ars Dangor and I will do it for free.

Warning: I may give Ars Dangor credit for everything that ever happened in Star Wars, including the creation of the Celestials.

19. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    Heracles-Melqart, that was amazing. AND THERE'S ELEVEN MORE ENTRIES IN THIS SERIES.

20. Lugija

Oct 3, 2009
    Well if he is Waru, at what point did he turn into a golden cube of jell-O?

21. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    You have unwittingly stumbled upon the truth -- for it is *I* who is Waru, and in my guise as an Imperial grand admiral I have appointed Ars Dangor to be the instrument of my will.

MercenaryAce and Lugija like this.
  22. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Waru ought to be the Tower and the Wheel of Star Wars.

RC-1991 likes this.
  23. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Whoa, this is the best one yet, more Atlas/Warfare stuff is always awesome. Although I can see that this was really more like the Atlas than the Warfare guide, especially with listing the possible artifacts of Celestial creation. Still, would love for this to be included or printed somewhere as a canonical article at some point.

I thought the Star Forge was mentioned, though not by name- "giant space stations that could transmute stellar radiation into war material". Presumably the details are lost to time or hidden in archives (Jedi or otherwise).

The Rakata plague has been mentioned before, I know, maybe in KotOR? At least in TOR, I know there's one scene that has Rakata survivors still working on a way to restore their Force sensitivity.

Interesting what-if note to end it on. I sometimes wonder if the Celestials left or if the Celestials weren't just fighting the Rakata but something else. Those other horrors mentioned, wonder if those were the entities mentioned by the Unknown Regions guide. Not that the the Celestials sound quite benevolent either, based on the artwork from destroyed civilizations.

Personally, the most interesting bit for me is the mention that the hyperspace barrier to galactic west might be decaying after all this time.

Glad it just focused on what the various works the Celestials might have done, and no mention of Mortis, that's complicated enough on its own already. And excellent writing too of course, with Motti as the skeptic/idiot. Can't wait to see what's next.

24. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Was the Star Forge transmuting stellar radiation? I thought it was directly lifting the hydrogen from the star. The latter is much more believable, but then look at me arguing for realism in Star Wars!
    [​IMG]

25. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    I'm only guessing, but transmuting raw materials into weapons sounds like the Star Forge. Of course, as their discussion steers away from too much Force discussion (banned topic and all), and given how long it is, no one brings up how the Star Forge might have been played a part in the downfall of the Rakata. Well, that's what you get when you play around with the darkside too much.

Darksiders will probably always occur, as long as there is sentient life (or life at all), its more of a wonder that most of known history hasn't been ruled by darkside empires (Sith or otherwise) mainly thanks to the Republic and Jedi.

And yeah, never liked the Sith Imperial lapdogs in TOR- most of them are just thugs, jerks or idiots, at best believing they're the best civilization ever and that imposing order on the rest of the galaxy will help all those lesser beings. Revenge on the Republic is a plus too. What's really funny are the rare anti-Sith officer but are still pro-Sith Emperor, since the Sith Emperor is basically the Sith Empire. Then there are those who just put up with it, and a few defectors too.

Pre-Republic history is always interesting, but its always nice to see a light touch used, as its probably best left mysterious. The Unknown Regions sound much more interesting, such as mentioning Rakata survivors still out there. Hard to tell what those "curses" are- could be some of the Unknown Regions terrors, although there are probably some monsters still imprisoned on Belsavis too.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.