main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Official StarWars.com Blog Thread - That's right, I went there

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Valin__Kenobi

Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji star 4 VIP

Mar 30, 2004
    [​IMG]

Apparently the wings fold up as well.

[​IMG]

darthscott3457 likes this.
  2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    That first image is so strange -- it has standard TIEs and standard ISDs (ISD-IIs, no less), which is probably not at all how they'll look in the show.

edit: Still, I love that image with all its ROTJ echoes. Real Star Wars is coming back!

3. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Stupid PT ideas already making their way into OT design to destroy their coolness :(

Gamiel and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  4. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Gorefiend and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Good -- glad he homed in on the non-WWII aspects of the uniforms too. While officers tended to wear jodhpurs in that era, the specific cavalry origin of the uniforms is new to me. I'd thought they were WWII infantry uniforms rather than WWI lancer uniforms.

Iron_lord likes this.
  6. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  7. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  8. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Hrmmm... that could have been a little longer, especially with a little more research. I generally like the ideas behind most of these blog topics, but some of the authors sort of skimp on the caliber.

9. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
  10. The Extreme Moderate

The Extreme Moderate Jedi Grand Master star 1

Jun 30, 2005
    As requested, reposting this here :) :

11. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    anguirus2003 likes this.
  12. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I've always wondered what that snake on Luke's supplies was.

13. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
  14. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Good stuff. Liked seeing Bey's background fleshed out a bit more.

15. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007

Bravo, great stuff across all of the cut content. Here's to a sequel. I really enjoyed all of the early Republic to Ruusan era stuff in the cut content, all very interesting. Loved the Balmorra info in last update as well.

One question, if it hasn't been asked before, of all of the cut content or stuff you were planning on including in EGTW, what would be the one thing you wish that made the final cut but didn't?

Iron_lord likes this.
  16. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Whoh that's not what I expected for the final entry. And not only is it the last, but this one's got the old-school nostalgia factor!:_|

These were fantastic, Jason! I'm glad so many of these passages actually got to see the light of day.

17. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Thanks for the kind words.

Do you mean what thing from the Author's Cut do I wish had made the book? Or which thing still on the cutting floor do I wish had made the Author's Cut? Sorry if I'm being dumb -- been a killer week.

18. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Both!

19. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    Would've loved to have seen all the content relating to the Battle of Endor - my most favourite and awesomeness battle in my opinion.

Any chance they'll see the light of day, as well as the war portrait of General Horton Salm?

jasonfry

20. Ordo Skirata

Ordo Skirata Jedi Master star 2

Sep 3, 2012
    That was twelve great articles. But now I desperately need to read The Kaleesh/Huk Wars feature. Why do you torment me so, Mr. Fry?

21. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Yay, thank you for all this extra content, sad that this is the last part. I can see why many of these were cut from the final product, but wish there had been time or room to include all of these, so many interesting tidbits.

For this particular section, too bad the Balmorra part didn't make it in, especially if there had been an artwork commissioned to go with it, always loved that battle in DE2 where Balmorra is one of those few planets with enough weapons to even attempt to break away from the Empire (since they manufacture a lot of the Imperial ones too anyway). Even SWTOR covered Balmorra's history a good deal.

Though I'm glad Stazi's perspective was kept over that soldier coming home or the captured Vong/possible Jedi clone, more appropriate. And huh, haven't thought about the original Essential Guide to the Military in a long time. Who knows how that would have gone, but thank you for the excellent Essential Guide to Warfare we did get (and very glad it followed in the sort of style of the Essential Atlas too).

Too bad there was no Pellaeon-class Star Destroyer bit (don't think it was mentioned much), but very glad the Scythe was named MC140 in the final book.

22. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    I'll narrow it down to just the material provided in 12 parts of the authors cut. Feel free for both though :)

It was cool to see the outline given in Part 12, for the other stuff that was left out. Thanks.

23. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Wow, that was quite an ending there -- very somber. Masterful effort all around -- both in the published material and the compiled author's cut. Grateful to Jason, McEwok, Erich, and LFL for this sublime little treat.

The outline is fascinating. There interesting sections that might've come from random novel references: the Lortan Fanatics, the Duinuogwuin Contention. etc. But what really catches my eye is below:

I've always, always wanted to see Atrisia fleshed out ever since WEG established it as the basis for the Imperial court and Palpatinian realpolitik.

!

!!

!!!

[face_laugh]

Sounds intriguing.

Sounds treasonous.

The Starfleet vs the thing with the power of half the Starfleet? Oh, you mean we're not supposed to take it literally? Darn.

"Dear Diary: Everything blew up. Pellaeon ordered the retreat, despite having no authority to do so. Hoping tomorrow sucks less."

Lots of potentially interesting story ideas from here on out -- Rogue Squadron stuff, Thrawn era stuff, etc.

Gamiel, darthscott3457 and jasonfry like this.
  24. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Hmm.

Stuff from the Author's Cut that I most wish we'd put in the book: Memo From Kamino and The Assembly Line. I think both of those would have added some interesting dimensions to the coverage of the Clone Wars. But hey, this is what happens when you write way too much. I think the cuts made to get the manuscript down to its published form were pretty much on target.

Stuff that I wish had made the Author's Cut: Honestly, most of the material that wasn't published in either project got left on the cutting-room floor because it didn't work or didn't add anything new/interesting. (Or, I'll admit, because I just wasn't a fan of the storyline/era.) The Raith Sienar piece wasn't bad and I went back and forth on including it. I was fond of the Captain Wermis piece, but it got so overwritten by a blog feature that it wasn't salvageable.

Of the stuff in the outline that never got written, I was looking forward to I Was a Chanteuse for the ISO, the Sixtus Quin portrait and Jowdrrl talking about the Falcon. But it was pretty clear that they'd be superfluous, so they got cut at the outline stage.

Oh, and we should have done some kind of pilot roster for Endor. Red Squadron, probably. It's inexplicable that we didn't.

25. Grand Admiral Paxis

Grand Admiral Paxis Jedi Master star 3

Sep 2, 2012
    Any chance that we can get an Author's Cut Cut? From Atrisia and Haashimut to the Scimitar Assault Wing and Hell's Hammers, the whole thing at the end reads like my own personal list of all the obscure things that I've wanted to see fleshed out more :_|

But in all honesty, I couldn't have been happier with the EGTW as it was published, and just the fact that some of these amazing stories managed to see the light of day in the Author's Cut makes me beyond grateful. EGTW and TEA are both the go-to texts that I point my friends interested in learning more about the EU towards, because they're just phenomenally comprehensive and jammed full of stuff for hardcore fans, whilst still being easily accessible for new fans. They're both, beyond any doubt, my favourite sourcebooks ever published and I couldn't be more thankful to everyone involved in bringing them out.

As for this last Cut, I've been looking forward to seeing the piece on Bey ever since I found out about the cut Marvel profiles. I was absolutely terrified that it wouldn't live up to expectation, if only because of how much I'd hyped it up in my head, but it was all I could have hoped for and more. It's not often I'll say something like this, being the impatient person that I am, but it was well worth the eight year wait. Congratulations on finally getting it published, Jason, and thank you for all the hard work that you, Paul, Erich, and everybody else put into this. Like everyone, I'm sad to see it end, but so grateful to have been given a chance to see all these untold stories come to light over the past year. I look forward to seeing what you all come out with next.