main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Official Stephenie Meyer Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Luna_Nightshade, Mar 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    Striker that's fantastic!!!

2. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    OH, Major Flashback!

That was the only Power Rangers season I watched and liked. [face_laugh]

3. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Thanks. :)

4. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Because the idea of vampires is sexy... obviously not all of them actually are, but some are. ;)

I have to agree with Jon, while they aren't the best novels ever I have read worse and by worse I mean boring as all get out. I have the ability to over look things when I'm reading, not much will throw me out of a story other than someone being OOC (which can't happen really happen in someones novel)so I don't have a big problem with her writing abilities when I'm reading. I found them entertaining and in that aspect I enjoyed them.

I find Pride and the Prejudice boring (though I haven't tried with Zombies yet! :D) and can't stand the Bronte sisters. I'm not saying those are bad by any stretch of the imagination (contrary to the above statement) they are beloved novels and writers but to me they are not interesting. Granted it's been years since I've read them and maybe I was too young. *shrugs*

Anyway, I read all kinds of things and when I was in the mood to read something light that took no thought Twilight was a good fill for that. Though my suspension of disbelief was very much tested in last book.

5. Ubersue

Ubersue Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 1, 2008
    omg i <3 twilight lol

6. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    I'd much rather have the anticlimax at the end of BD than, "And Jaina Solo, under orders from her rather bloodthirsty parents, went and killed her twin brother. And then the worst possible choice was appointed Chief of State while Allana was taken from her mother and used as a crude replacement for Jacen." [face_plain]:mad::mad::mad::mad:

It's time like this I wish the F-bomb was allowed on this site...

7. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    No, see, at least SW you're guaranteed some violence. Stephenie just copped out!

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  8. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
    So THAT'S how to save money on health insurance and food. :p

9. Bri_Windstar

Bri_Windstar Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 27, 2002
    No.

10. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    Okay, I've read the Twilight series. And Battlefield Earth, and those four SW series. And I can say, with 19000000000000000% certainty they're worse than Twilight.

11. Iverna

Iverna Jedi Master star 4

Feb 20, 2008
    I admit, I couldn't get through Twilight. I read the NJO; I couldn't get through DN, and after that I gave up. I will say that the quality of writing, overall, was better in the NJO in my personal opinion. Story-wise I can't comment, because I don't really know what happens in Twilight beyond a love triangle and angst, and when it comes to the NJO I can't be in any way objective about the story, the way I could if it were my first encounter with the characters involved etc. :p

But that's the thing about literature. Like any art form, it's a matter of personal taste. ;) And even that personal taste is subject to change.

12. Raphire

Raphire Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 19, 2008
    You have to hand it to Stephanie Meyers. She did make something that would get two pages of controversial opinions in one freakin day. On theforce.net of all places!!!!

It's also kind of freaky how the third guy from the left on the banner's eyes seem to follow me wherever I go. It's really creepy.

13. Vivid_Scripts

Vivid_Scripts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 21, 2004
    wow, seeing as how all these decent people here have actually read Twilight maybe I should see what all the controversy is about... I suppose it would give me some kind of filler until A Dance With Dragons comes out in July.

14. Bri_Windstar

Bri_Windstar Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 27, 2002
    Twas not referring to the fact that I haven't read those books. Twas referring to the fact that it was an incorrect statement. Moving on.

15. Luna_Nightshade

Luna_Nightshade Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2006
    I read the novels as part of a dare/promise to my sister.

As I studied literature academically I often whine about feeling like I can't "enjoy" writing in the same way anymore. Academic literature study includes picking apart themes, context, gorgeous metaphors... the wealth of things you can pick up from a well-written piece of literature is astounding. That doesn't mean that it is "enjoyable." I thought The Crying of Lot 49 was a stunning postmodern novel, but I hated reading it. I hated Pride and Prejudice as a teenager, and fell in love with it as an adult once I started to expect and enjoy subtlety.

The Twilight series is the opposite for me. I never went into it expecting great descriptions, themes, or really anything--I just expected a story. That's what I got. I had to turn off my "...how I could tear this apart in a thesis..." voice and just roll with it, and as long as I kept that voice off it was okay.

We all have our own built-in expectations for what we read and what we want to consider something a good story. That doesn't make the story inherently good or bad; it just means that it satisfies whatever we want out of a book. Twilight satisfies what a lot of readers want, and as such it is a good book for them; for those of us who expect other things, it isn't. But I think it is important to remember that a work of art can't be all things to all people. It just is what it is. It becomes a "good story" based on what you personally bring to it and what you get out of it.

Opinions are great, but at the end of the day you want to grab a story that makes you personally feel good. Nobody can convince you what feels good--it's up to you, and that's just one part of what makes stories so awesome.

16. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    I actually wrote a crossover between Twilight and G1 Transformers. Kinda interesting, since the year it took place in was 2010. By then, humanity had interstellar colonies and Twilight vampires were actually... mundane compared to some of the aliens allied with Earth.

17. Space_Wolf

Space_Wolf Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2007
    I can't read the word chagrin (which I thought was a word she'd made up cos I'd hardly come across it before) in a book now without wanting to throw it across the room. I let James Herriot off because he'd obviously written his biographies long before Twilight came out...

18. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Personally, I think Twilight is dreadful . . but I'm addicted to the whole series and can't wait for the next film to come out. I've enjoyed worse, like Dan Brown, but then I think that as long as you enjoy a book it doesn't matter what others think. I've read many books and only disliked one, so I'm hardly a good judge, am I? ;)

It'll be interesting to see what she comes out with next. She did a story for the 'Prom Nights from Hell' collection which I liked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.