main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A&A The Official Steve Perry Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Gatherer, Feb 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    Steve Perry is author of 'Shadows of the Empire' novel and comic.

Jedi Council Forums Username:

Discuss Steve's novels and aspects of his writing in this thread. You never know, Steve might drop by from time to time!

2. LawgSkrak

LawgSkrak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 23, 1999
    Shadows rocked. I think he should do an NJO book.

3. IAmTheDarkSide

IAmTheDarkSide Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2002
    Hey, Steve, if you lurk here, which I doubt you do...do you think you could convince your pal James O'Rigney to take a break after his current series to write a Star Wars novel, before starting his next series? Thanks! :D

4. Bossk_BountyHunter

Bossk_BountyHunter Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 3, 2002
    Shadows rocked.I think he should do a NJO book.

To this I agree

5. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    I appreciate your sentiment, but I think that all of the remaining NJO novels have authors assinged to them.

6. muuurgh8150

muuurgh8150 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 4, 2002
    Shadows of the Empire was the greatest book ever. Steve Perry rules.

7. JM-Anakin-Solo

JM-Anakin-Solo Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2002
    Shadows was amazaing. Thats all I have to say. :D

8. Queengodess

Queengodess Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 18, 2000
    We got to see Darth Vader in action again. Of course it was amazing!

9. The_Clone_of_Maul

The_Clone_of_Maul Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 4, 2001
    Shadows is perhaps my favourite Expanded Universe novel. The video game was also excellent, though I'm not sure how invloved Steve was with that.

But it was amazing how it fitted so well between Empire and Jedi. I have yet to pick up Shadows of the Empire: Evolution, but I will eventually.

And yes Steve, you should write a new NJO book, it'll be a great excuse to bring back Dash, Leebo and Guri! (Who, which later EU material has proven, have survived the events of Shadows!)

10. Groovy_Ssi-Ruuvi

Groovy_Ssi-Ruuvi Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    I disagree here, and I'm being very clear about stating that this is my OPINION, rather than say Perry is a terrible writer.

I thought the STORY for SotE was very good. I liked seeing Vader in action, and I loved the character of Xizor. What I didn't care for, though, was Perry's writing style. I didn't think it offered enough in terms of style and rhythm. A lot of the times, his sentences just seemed to follow the subject-verb-object formula. At times it felt to me that he was affraid to use pronouns like "he" and "she," instead citing the character's name everytime, and other times there would be a page of group dialogue where I had no idea who was talking.
    I liked the story, but as a writer, Perry did not impress me, and I would rather he not write any more Star Wars literature.

See guys, you can give polite criticism. :)

11. BYOB_Kenobi

BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 7, 2000
    Wow! I had no idea he was writing sci-fi since Journey broke up!

12. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    The thing that struck me as funny about this book was that Perry stole from himself. Black Sun comes from his Matador series(which by the way is some great sci fi/martial arts).

I guess if your gonna plagarize, then do it to yourself, no big deal.

Overall I did not like this book. He seemed to want to dumb down Vader so he could make his own lead villain look better. Sorry, I just think when Vaders in the picture, he is the main baddy and everyone else except maybe the Emperor is going to have to take a back seat. Either that, or make a better villain.

Along with the Matador series(um...out of print , good luck finding all of them, I'd never give mine up) He also wrote the the first and third books of a Predator vs Aliens series..very good stuff. I think his wife wrote the second in that series and it was terrible. The first in the series would make a great movie.

This thread is over a week old, I just happened upon it and wanted to throw in my two cents since I have enjoyed his other works.

13. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I goofed. Perry and his wife wrote the first one, his wife the third one, and some other author did the second.

14. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    First of all, all the Aliens, Predator, and AvP novels from Bantam are based on the comics.

Second, SD (Stephani Danelle I believe) is his daughter, not his wife.

Steve Perry wrote the first two Aliens novels from Bantam, and worked with his daughter on the conclusion to that trilogy. SD also wrote Labyrinth and Berserker. Steve and his daughter worked together on the first AvP novel, and she wrote the third one, which was a sequel both to the first AvP and to Berserker. David Bischoff wrote the second AvP novel, which chronologically takes place after the third one.

Here, I believe, is the chronological order for these books:

Predator novelization, by Paul Monette
    Predator: Concrete Jungle, by Nathan Archer
    Predator: Cold War, by Nathan Archer
    Predator: Big Game, by Sandy Schofield
    Predator 2 novelization, by Simon Hawke
    Alien novelization, by Alan Dean Foster
    Aliens novelization, by Alan Dean Foster
    Alien3 novelization, by Alan Dean Foster
    Aliens, Book 1: Earth Hive, by Steve Perry
    Aliens, Book 2: Nightmare Asylum, by Steve Perry
    Aliens, Book 3: The Female War, by Steve Perry and S.D. Perry
    Aliens: Genocide, by David Bischoff
    Aliens: Alien Harvest, by Robert Sheckley
    Aliens: Rogue, by Sandy Schofield
    Aliens: Labyrinth, by S.D. Perry
    Aliens: Music of the Spears, by Yvonne Navaro
    Aliens vs Predator: Prey, by Steve Perry and S.D. Perry
    Aliens: Tribes, by Stephen Bissette
    Aliens: Berserker, by S.D. Perry
    Aliens vs Predator: War, by S.D. Perry
    Aliens vs Predator: Hunter's Planet, by David Bischoff
    Alien Resurrection novelization, by A.C. Crispin

Keep in mind, though, that there are many more comics in the continuity that haven't been novelized, as well as many comics that don't fit into the continuity at all.

15. Maveric

Maveric Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 17, 1999
    I really enjoyed SOTE. I think that Dash Rendar is one of the best non-Lucas created character. The Outrider was a pretty cool ship as well. I wish he & it would show up in the NJO.

16. StormChewieJedi

StormChewieJedi Jedi Youngling star 2

May 27, 2002
    I definately thought that SOTE was an incredible EU novel. Quite possibly the best, or in the top five. It greatly contributed to the expansion of the Star Wars universe, and Perry did an incredible job of introducing new and now official aspects of the universe. Rock on, Steve Perry...

17. Lurking_Around

Lurking_Around Jedi Knight star 6

May 26, 2002
    "Shadows of the Empire" is the best non-Zahn EU for me. Great new villain, great insight into Vader's obsession at finding his son, and I like the way the gap between ESB and ROTJ were filled. Dash Rendar was cool too.

I have to say I like Perry's writing style. He did the novelization of MIB (the first one) which I really enjoyed, and I believe he also wrote Clancy's "Net Force" series. I didn't like the books after the first, but the first Netforce book was just a joy! And my humble country was mentioned....*sob*...the PM should be proud, his projects were the ones that enabled the country to be mentioned in the book! Yay for us! :p

Long live Steve Perry!

:D

18. Niralle

Niralle Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 28, 2001
    I'm excellent at complaining and nagging about books and authors, but I have to say that Perry's insight into Vader's head is the BEST I've seen. It was like a wild obsession, the search for his son, and it completely cordinated with the movies.

Well done, Perry. Thanks! :)

19. Jedi15

Jedi15 Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 7, 1999
    Steve Perry wrote my all-time favorite EU book, SOTE. He also created my favorite EU villain, Xizor (IMO, he's the only EU baddie who can hold a candle to Palpatine and Vader).

I wish Del Rey would let him write for the NJO.

20. kampilan

kampilan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 18, 2002
    Hmmm...Steve Perry...the same guy in "Journey"? :p

21. AssassinDroid21

AssassinDroid21 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    I just finishes SOTE and it is the best EU book ever. Period.

Xizor is a great villian and Dash was a good good-bad guy (if that made any sense).

22. DashRendarFreak

DashRendarFreak Jedi Youngling

Oct 24, 2002
    Dash Rendar was awesome.Ive only read 1 Star Wars book, and it was Shadows of the Empire.It was the best book I ever read.

23. DashRendarFreak

DashRendarFreak Jedi Youngling

Oct 24, 2002
    The only bad part about Shadows of the Empire was when Dash supposedly 'died'

24. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    What did you think of Perry's writing style, the way he structured his sentences? A lot different to the usual way, isn't it?

25. kyle_katarn_pr

kyle_katarn_pr Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 28, 2002
    "Shadows of the Empire" is an excellent book! I truly enjoyed it from beginning to end. I thought Perry's writing style was simple and effective , his new characters (Dash, Xizor, Guri , and Leebo) were very memorable , and most importantly , everything really felt like it belonged in the original Star Wars trilogy.

The only thing I really didn't like in the novel was the fact that Perry never truly reveals what happened to Xizor , Dash , or Leebo. If he was going to kill them , he should have done it in a clear way and not leave us with such an open-ended ending.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.