main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The OFFICIAL Superhero Costume Resource Thread

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by JediTAC, Aug 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediTAC

JediTAC Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 30, 2000
    Hey All:

For those of you who (1) may be interested and (2) don't usually visit the TFN FanFilm Forum, I created an OFFICIAL SUPERHERO COSTUME RESOURCE thread - with links to various internet resources relating to creating really nice Superhero costumes.

Who knows, I'm pretty sure quite a few of the resources can be cross-utilized for various Star Wars Costume pieces and/or ideas as well. ;)

I try to add to the thread as often as I come accross new information related to creating high-quality Superhero outfits (be it for a FanFilm, Convention, Halloween, etc.). Feel free to contribute any additional links and/or information to the thread. (The only think I ask is that we try to avoid duplicaticative links and info ... too keep the "one stop shopping" as tight as possible).

Anyway, just thought I'd spread the information for y'all. :D

JediTAC

S_S edit: just unlocking :)

2. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Lots of great info in your thread! Thanks for bringing it to our attention. :)

3. zhi-don_aquintas

zhi-don_aquintas Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 17, 2002
    this could be a good thing. anyone know anywhere i can get hints on a HELLBOY costume???

4. krillindb

krillindb Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 5, 2002
    Good resources. Glad to see you made it over here TAC.

5. byrdnest

byrdnest Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 11, 2001
    my seven yr old wants to be dr ock, my 13yr old wants to be jango fett, and 10yr old wants to be wonder woman. i am thinking about hippolyta for myself. or a dathomir witch. i need to get started.

6. JediTAC

Nov 30, 2000
    Well, if you want general Halloween type costumes for yourself and your kids, there's always THIS RESOURCE. :D

JediTAC

7. byrdnest

byrdnest Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 11, 2001
    when i was 8 dressed in a gibson special cheapo mask and flammable costume i promised my self that whatever my kids wanted i would make. so far i have kept this promise. you should see the costumes i have created. my boys can think of real doosies.

8. JediTAC

Nov 30, 2000
    Let's see some. :D

9. Jedi_Outcast77

Jedi_Outcast77 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 10, 2003
    This question is for a Super-Villain costume instead of a Super-Hero but I figured I'd ask here rather than start a new thread.

My son want to be Dr. Ock for Halloween and I'm going to make him a set of arms to wear. I was thinking of using aluminum foil vent (the stuff you use to vent a clothes dryer) for the arms but have a problem. The standard size is 4" diameter tubing. I've found 3", which will work if that's my only option, but was hoping to find something 2" diameter instead.

Does anyone have any idea if such a thing exists in a 2" diameter size? It doesn't have to be the dryer vent stuff, as long as it's flexible and light, and preferrably in the aluminum color. Any help would be appreciated.

10. VillieGee

VillieGee Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 30, 2002
    Lol. A few years ago a friend wanted to be Dr. Octopus II (the female version). The dryer vent was the first thing I thought of too. We even thought about attatching the arms to fishing line hanging from the arms like those funny spider costumes that make it look like all 6 arms are moving.

We never made the costume, but I decided there were two options:

1. Get any kind of black ribbed hose and drybrush it silver, or
    2. Get identical, shallow cylindars (like pvc pipe) and just thread them over a bendable armature made of wire or whatever.

Were you looking for a movie version, a comic book version, or what?

(By the way, there's a fun toy out now that is one of those "robot claw" toys of Doc Ock's arms. They're $10 each and a lot of fun.)

11. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    I'm going with the movie version. The hardest part, naturally, will be the arms. My idea is to have the top two arms come up and hang over the shoulders and have the bottom two roll under his real arms and wrap around his stomach, just enough so the bottom two arms can hold his Trick-or-Treat bag, leaving his real arms free (depending on my support job this might not work but I'm going to give it a test run anyway).

I figured that I would use 1/4" PVC as the "backbone" for each of the arms and throw a few 45-degree elbows in between to achieve the wrap around effect.

The rest of the costume will be easy, a brown trenchcoat, a pair of dress pants or dark khaki's, a t-shirt (can't do the tank top, October in New England can get a little chilly) and sunglasses. Maybe even the derby if I can find a cheap one, but I'll probably skip this.

12. McLean

McLean Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 1, 2004
    well, i made this costume for the release of the spidey 2 movie

the way i did it was
    -i got four wire clothes hangers,
    -got a sheet of 1 1/2" thich insulation foam
    -cut out the shape of each segment on the arms(theres about 18 to 20 on each
    -painted it
    -attached it to an old back pack in a manner that allowed the arms to swing

i even stuck some red LEDs on each arm

it looked pretty nice

and they were really easy to bend into any position you like

thats how i did it. and it didnt take very long

13. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    I'm not all that concerned about wether or not the arms can move. In fact, since he's only 8, I'd rather they be sationary so he doesn't get too carried away. I've also got the red light factored into the center of each palm too. Just gonna pick up some supplies at Radio Shack and run the wiring down the PVC to the base and attach the batteries there.

14. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    Another thing that I just noticed from some pics was the brace that wraps around the torso from behind. Anyone have any suggestions on how I could accomplish that? Like making it one piece and hooking it onto the backplate, or hinging two halves and having them clip together in the middle?

15. McLean

McLean Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 1, 2004
    i would clip it together in the middle

unless your trying to be extrememly movie acurate, i dont think thats the biggest detail you need to incorporate

but, its your costume

personally,i wouldnt connect the brace that goes around the stomach to the arms, because if the arms get caught on anything(and they usually do) you want them to fall off and not brake rather than cling to you and brake

that probably dosent make sense

16. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    Unlocked by request. :)

17. Cher2a

Cher2a Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 23, 2005
    Cool thread! :)

18. Phayze

Phayze Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 23, 2004
    (thanks for unlocking, Sola!)

Hey kids! My wife and I have been thinking about making a couple of super hero costumes for ourselves, and since we're both old school (yo) we're planning to go for the classically cheesey spandex look.

I've done some googling, but I'm having a heck of a time finding any good resources on working with lycra.

I found this site with lots of handy advice for making lycra body suits, and I've got some good stuff from the boys and girls on the RPF, but I thought I'd check in here to see if you folks had any wisdom/links to share on the subject, and to make some good use of this great idea for a thread.

Pics of your own super hero projects would be great, too!

Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.