The Official SW:TCG Support Poll

Discussion in 'Games: CCG, TCG, and Boardgames' started by Kleff_Rixxard, Feb 20, 2002.

?

The Official SW:TCG Support Poll

Poll closed May 21, 2002.
I will support WotC's New SW:TCG 32 vote(s) 39.5%
I will NOT support WotC's New SW:TCG 42 vote(s) 51.9%
I have not (or will not) taken a side on this issue 7 vote(s) 8.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Infiltrator Jedi Knight

star 5
  2. Wurms Jedi Youngling

TCG sounds like it is going to be more fun to play than CCG. When CCG first came out some years ago I never liked playing it, so I was just going to collect it but I fell behind and never got into again.

So I am looking forward to TCG. If it does suck, then oh well. Wouldn't be the first time I wasted my money on crappy card games. But I have a feeling this might be fun :)
  3. Bacabachaui Manager Emeritus

star 4
    Your feeling is correct!
  4. Artie-Deco Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Wurms,

When you say "if it [TCG] sucks", do you mean "if TCG sucks more than CCG," or do you just mean if it sucks in general?

You didn't like SW:CCG, but did you ever try Young Jedi or Jedi Knights? If you liked either of those games, as I said in my review, you might like the new TCG.

What CCGs do you like, and which ones (other than SW:CCG) suck?

5. Darth_Assblaster Jedi Youngling

No support here, everything I've read about it makes the game seem rather..... horrible..

I have some support of WotC, but very mixed, they did great things for the rules of D&D, but the overall feel seems to have been lost, afraid I guess of stepping on too many toes... Same thing for Magic, the newer versions are good, but it seems to have lost a lot as well... I really like the old game, in my opinion, they should have bought the game mechanics as well and made their own expansions to it.... I'll try it, with others cards (if anyone's playing it) then maybe I'll buy it, but I seriously doubt it.
  6. Sirus_Halcyon Jedi Youngling

Just thought I'd say I hate the TCG. I'm a loyalist to the CCG and all that Decipher put into it. I've collected since the beginning, and loved every card I own. I can't betray the thousands of dollars, and hours I've put into the game. I'm boycotting the TCG, even.
  7. Bacabachaui Manager Emeritus

star 4
    "Just thought I'd say I hate the TCG. I'm a loyalist to the CCG and all that Decipher put into it. I've collected since the beginning, and loved every card I own. I can't betray the thousands of dollars, and hours I've put into the game. I'm boycotting the TCG, even."

Do you hate the TCG based on what you know about it, or is it just a general hate based on losing SWCCG? I am not saying either way is wrong, each of us has our own reasons and rights to feel the way we do. I am just curious if you have looked into the game or tried it?
    Certainly, many of us were mad at losing SWCCG. But that is over. SWCCG is not dead. You can still play with the cards you have and there is an excellent team of players in the players committee working very hard to keep the game new through virtual cards you can print and slip into sleeves with your other cards.
    The problem with boycotting SWTCG is that even if *every* SWCCG player boycotted the game (which they won't), SWTCG would still do well.
    There is an enormous fanbase out there that likes Star Wars and never got into Deciphers SWCCG for various reasons. JKTCG was Decipher's attempt at capturing this fanbase.
    SWTCG is already doing well and it has not even been released. There is a lot of support for it already.
    If you have not looked into it, I would suggest at least giving it a try and then making a decision. If you choose to boycott it based on losing SWCCG and what you consider a lost investment, you may be cheating yourself out of something you could end up loving.
    Or you may not like it at all, but at least you opened your mind and made a decision based on knowledge, instead of letting yourself be guided by the previous investment you made.
    Either way, the game is a good game, and is fun to play. People will play it and have fun doing so.
  8. Chris_the_jedi Jedi Youngling

ill definitely support and play the swtcg when it comes out
  9. Kenix Kil Jedi Youngling

star 1
    I'll tell you the real reason most CCG fans on here dont like the TCG. They spent thousands of dollars on the CCG and they feel betrayed by Decipher losing the license (even though it is Decipher's own fault and they lied about the license staying with Decipher).
  10. BigPoppaJabba Jedi Padawan

star 4
    For me the money issue is nothing to do with it. DO you think that I will throw out my cards, or never look at them, just because no new expansions are coming out?

It just irks me that a game I really enjoy is no longer being made, thats all.

I am not giving any more opinions on the new game because I haven't tried it. If I do or not remains to be seen, but from now on I am keeping out of the "it does/ doesn't suck" debate, unless I find an opportunity to crack a wise-guy comment. Even iof I do try the gamer, I won't be able to help comparing it. To be fair, I do the same for YJ and JK, two games I have often poibnted out as being "unsatisfying" compared to the CCG. My own opinion, I don't expect it to hold the same for everyoe.

If you thought the CCG sucked, fine. It's no problem to anyone. I do agree that it is starting to get old hearing total anti-TCG statements in their support threads. On the other hand, liek I sid, I am fine with you not liking the CCG. But I think the CCG players have as much right to their game not being critisized as the TCG players do.

All this talk that the CCG is just a way to cheat shows NO understanding of the game. It's not cheating, just a mechanic. If all games had the same mechanic, then would C/TCG's be fun? No way! I like to be able to pick up adeck of LotR or Lot5R or even the odd game of JK or YJ because they are different. There are things I like about all these games.

11. Kenix Kil Jedi Youngling

star 1
    First I never said that the CCG sucks. I thought it was a good game but it had some drawbacks. Whenever I try to state these everyone tells me that I am saying the game sucks.

Now, is card counting in the rulebook listed as a game mechanic? If it isnt in there then it is cheating. There is no way anyone can convince me that counting cards is not. It is for one simple reason. Card games are supposed to be about stratagy. Randomness. Knowing what is coming in your deck just narrows the game down to whoever has the better cards wins. Not who had the better stratagy just whoever spent more money on their decks. Which to be honest is how the CCG went anyway but that is another issue.
  12. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    >> Now, is card counting in the rulebook listed as a game mechanic? If it isnt in there then it is cheating.<<

The rulebook doesn't touch on things such as destiny (in terms of characters & locations having lower or no destiny while other cards have higher destiny) and how it applies to deck cosntruction, but that doesn't make it an element not a part of the game. The ability to count how many cards are in your deck is needed so you know how much life force you have left and so your opponent knows how close he is or isn't to defeating you. Also, as a result of the cycle of force in the life force, makes it very easy for people with sharp enough ability (I personally have never been good at it, but I respect those who have become good at this skill) to track their stuff.

As another point, there are even cards in the game whose gametext are designed to make tracking easier (although it still takes a bit of mental skill), so it's not like it's been discouraged as a gameplay aspect.

>>There is no way anyone can convince me that counting cards is not. It is for one simple reason. Card games are supposed to be about stratagy. Randomness.<<

Since when is strategy the equivilent to randomness?

You overlook one key aspect to the strategy element to the SW:CCG though- in that your strategy and deck performance will be based mainly on how well you have constructed your deck. If you have put high destiny numbered cards (many of which, FYI, are not rares) in your deck, you are gaining some control over your deck.

>> Knowing what is coming in your deck just narrows the game down to whoever has the better cards wins. Not who had the better stratagy just whoever spent more money on their decks.<<<<

Again, your overlooking the contribution to strategy deck construction gives. Not only that, like I said above, it's not who has spent the most money on their deck but who has chosen the smartest cards (which, in many cases, are not rares).
  13. Kenix Kil Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Ok Quest so i could build a deck of pure commons and win in the CCG? That sounds like what you are saying. Give me an example of a deck that didnt have any rares in it and did well against one that did.
  14. Artie-Deco Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Unfortunately, CCGs are like Major League Baseball (which is why I was amused when MLB Showdown came out ... a perfect match!). Winning usually relies on two things: skill and budget. If you have skill but no budget, you can not afford the cards you need to build a winning deck. If you have budget but no skill, you squander the cards you have making bad strategic decisions in the game.

I say "unfortunately" because I wish competition relied only on skill and not on budget. But that's the nature of CCGs.

I have modest skill and a modest budget, so when I go into a tournament, I rely on a lot of luck! :)

Y'know, that may be why I'm getting so interested in Young Jedi and Jedi Knights these days. Those cards are selling so cheap (I got a BOX of premiere JK for $10) that the "budget" factor is almost non-existent, and in those games I can focus on skill alone. Hmmm....

15. Kenix Kil Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Right but when you look at Decipher when you can get three boxes of an expansion and not get a full set. Wizards if you buy an expansion of Magic for example and buy three boxes you will be very close to having a complete set if not actually having one.

The CCG was one of the most expensive card games on the market. The rares were not distributed very well (look at any non-Star Wars gaming magazine and they all say the same thing). Also to get older cards you would have to dish out five bucks to get select older cards. Instead of Magic that has special editions of cards that if you have enough older cards you dont have to buy but if you need some of the older ones you can. At no extra cost. Plus you get all new art. Which one sounds better? Honestly.
  16. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    >> Ok Quest so i could build a deck of pure commons and win in the CCG? That sounds like what you are saying. Give me an example of a deck that didnt have any rares in it and did well against one that did.<<

What I'm saying is you could and can make a viable deck composed primarily of commons and uncommons. You'll usually need anywhere from 3 to 5 rares at least ina deck, but thats not what I would consider a high-budgeted deck considering you get a rare in every pack and all.

Also, I'd rather have a brand new card than a rehashed "special edition" card (not counting combo cards and the like). Why? because it makes previous expansions obsolete. It'd be like buying a 6 series of 6 books where each book has the best parts of the previous ones included. Why would you want to buy them all if you can get all the useful stuff in the most recent book? And when the next one comes out, wouldn't you be anoyyed that theres no reason to keep the older books you bought anymore?
  17. Red84 SWCCG Content Mgr. (Card Games)

VIP
    star 4
    Must be why I hate collecting SW Comics. You can either read everything right away or wait 6 months for the TPB. bah. Anyway, onto the show...

Right but when you look at Decipher when you can get three boxes of an expansion and not get a full set.

More misinformation.. Yes, I bought three boxes of an expansion (Coruscant) and was still missing two cards. On the other hand, I got plenty of doubles from those boxes to get the cards I needed quite easily. C'mon, trading is part of being involved in a CCG. Of course, those three boxes also got me 7 of the 9 AI's and (after procuring the other two) was able to sell the set for $150 and get my money back for two of the boxes. So for those people who look at the net money spent as their bottonmline, the means are there to minimize or eliminate your cost.

However, in almost every other case, getting three boxes of an expansion always got me a complete set. The other exception having been DSII--I never got a Jedi Luke. I got two Palpys tho, four Fels, and three Wedges (which made up for the Luke--I can't stand the farmboy anyway) :) But on the Luke: I *could have* gotten one had I wanted to. I chose not to.

Instead of Magic that has special editions of cards that if you have enough older cards you dont have to buy but if you need some of the older ones you can. At no extra cost. Plus you get all new art. Which one sounds better? Honestly.

Alright, what's the difference between these "special editions" and what Reflections was... honestly?
  18. Ocelot_X Jedi Youngling

star 1
    >>>Ok Quest so i could build a deck of pure commons and win in the CCG? That sounds like what you are saying. Give me an example of a deck that didnt have any rares in it and did well against one that did.

Back in the time of Jabba's Palace I made a no-rares deck. It was a Dark Side deck, based on Snowtroopers (what can I say, I had a lot of snowtroopers), which I called Snowtrooper Surprise. The only characters were Snowtroopers, Snowtrooper Officers, and Quarrens (for deploying off of Hoth), and I used a bunch of Trooper Charge, Trooper Assault, Full Scale Alert, and a few You Overestimate Their Chances. I played a game with someone who was using, as I recall, a Mains & Toys deck based on Cloud City (as many will know, Mains & Toys is one of the most rare-heavy decks you can make). The other guy tried stopping my drain at the 3rd Marker (where I had something like three Snowtroopers) by sending Captain Han Solo like two other guys. I ended up winning because of Trooper Assault (and tripled the damage with Overestimate). Then I played Full Scale Alert (at least one of the other dudes besides Han was still there and he wasn't a smuggler) to keep them from getting away. Next turn I played every trooper I had in my hand, Trooper Assault, all the Trooper Charges in my hand, and I drew another Trooper Charge for battle destiny (a 6). That ended the game right there.

>>>Right but when you look at Decipher when you can get three boxes of an expansion and not get a full set. Wizards if you buy an expansion of Magic for example and buy three boxes you will be very close to having a complete set if not actually having one.

That's just luck. I know of a guy who got all 80 rares from Dagobah in two 60-pack boxes. The cards ARE randomly inserted after all, there's no guarantee you'll get a full set in any number of boxes in any game.

>>>The CCG was one of the most expensive card games on the market.

Right behind Magic. Rares for new sets are routinely more than $20 (at least according to InQuest, I don't buy any so maybe they can be ahd for a lot less), and I remember my friend who played Magic telling me about some set called Arabian Nights where one pack cost $75 or something ridiculous like that. And I remember seeing them in a store and that he was right.
  19. Sarlacc_W_Lightsaber Jedi Youngling

Well, I have to defend Magic a bit on this one, and attack the CCG, though I love it greatly. I've built many MANY magic decks, in fact sold for 20$ and up decks that are all 10 cents (save lands, worth 5 cents in our area) I usually won with them, while some expensive cards help, some of the cheapest are some of the best. Though with CCG it's far harder to build a good cheap deck, it is possible, don't get me wrong, but it's still quite hard if your opponent both has money and knows what he's doing. Even so, the cards in the CCG aren't that expensive, thanks to reflections. Magic didn't reprint nearly as many "good ol cards" as the CCG did, don't think so, ask around and see how many Juzam Djinns, Word of Commands, Or Ali From Cairo's are floating around.
  20. Sarlacc_W_Lightsaber Jedi Youngling

for the record, I am boycotting SW:TCG as are the local card shops in my area (heh, not like theres many, 2... small town), not really maliciously, mainly in hopes that Wizards will either return to the old game style and make new expansions or sell the liscence back to Decipher.
  21. Bubba_the_Genius Jedi Padawan

star 4
    "for the record, I am boycotting SW:TCG as are the local card shops in my area"

The local card shops are boycotting the game?!
  22. BossNassDeckMechanic Jedi Youngling

I started playing Star Wars CCG in March of 2002. I had no idea it was dead by then and me and my friend invested about $20 in it. When we found about the new game, we decided mutually to drop the old one and play the new one. We both liked the old game, but we never got emotionally attached to it like some of these people here. We still enjoy the old game once in a while, but we think the new one is far superior. We love the rush when my tiny Naboo Starfighter is rolling his dice against a droid control ship with one health left. Will it hit, will it miss? Will he play a damage prevention card? Will he play Padawan's Deflection and kill me instead?

I know this has been said before by someone, but each dice roll gives you that rush of opening a booster pack. Will I get a foil? A card I need to complete the best deck ever? It is the exact same feeling of excitement.

This is why we will support the new game wholeheartedly.

23. NomSkywalker Jedi Youngling

This game is great! I voted FOR
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.