main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books The Official TARKIN by James Luceno Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Sable_Hart, Apr 25, 2014.

1. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Just wanna say it's really weird to me that Motti is in this book at this point in the timeline. The guy that plays him in ANH was like 30 and this is 14 years earlier, yet he's still a high-ranking official.

2. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    I always thought that this Motti was ANH Motti's father but I couldn't for the life of me recall why that is.

darklordoftech likes this.
  3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    According to Wookieepedia it was 13 years earlier. The actor was about 31 in ANH - but, just as some people look older than they really are, it could be rationalized that this guy is "baby-faced" in-universe and looks younger than he is.

Still pushes it a bit - to be a Rear Admiral in his late twenties (if we add ten years to the actor's age) is very good going. Ciena Ree was a full captain in her mid-twenties, and a point was made of how the Empire had to be desperate to be promoting somebody this fast.

For comparison, Kenneth Colley was 43 when playing Admiral (Full Admiral?) Piett, and Michael Sheard was 42 when playing TESB Admiral Ozzel (using Tarkin, 26 when "Rear Admiral Ozzel of the Joint Chiefs").

And Michael Clarke was 57 when playing Admiral Yularen - which if character matches actor, would make Yularen 35 when we first see him in TCW.

Don Henderson was 46 when playing Tagge - which would make (if character matching actor) Tagge 33 when we meet him in Tarkin - already on the Joint Chiefs, though it's not clear if he was already Chief Of The Army then.

And we have Michael Pennington - 40 when playing Jerjerrod - using same formula, makes Jerjerrod 23 in Tarkin.

When it's looked at that way, it seems like all the prominent military figures are really young men.

Pfluegermeister and Daneira like this.
  4. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014

So, Hux being so young in TFA wouldn't be that odd.

5. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    Show me an example of ANYONE, from ANY service anywhere in the world, who made rear admiral at 26, or general at 33.

Anyone?

Jedi Ben likes this.
  6. Lente

Lente Jedi Youngling

Jan 5, 2017
    Or elected ruler of entire planet at 14 :p (or senator at 16) (sorry)

Jedi Ben, Ulicus , Revanfan1 and 2 others like this.
  7. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014

Not on Earth, but since we're not talking about Earth... ;)

8. Daneira

Jun 30, 2016
    I didn't consider the other guys because Motti always sticks out in my mind as being younger. I can't believe the guy that played Yularen in ANH was only 57, he could be ten years older. He's already gone almost completely grey at the end of TCW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    If we count brigadier generals - there's this guy:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galusha_Pennypacker

aged 20.

10. Pfluegermeister

Jun 30, 2003
    Fiction still has to be believable and plausible to its audience, or else it is not fiction, but farce.

And if I might also address Lente's point: that was part of the problem I had with the prequels, the idea that Lucas would have us believe that ANYONE that young could occupy a position of power that was anything other than strictly ceremonial. I mean, the very idea that any population would ever elect someone with the mentality of a fourteen-year-old to actually LEAD them...

Oh, wait... ;)

And Pennypacker (my GOD, that name!) appears to be an extremely exceptional case of getting your foot in the door early in what was, in 1860-61, an extremely fluid chain of command as what was a unified armed forces divided and became the Union and Confederate armies, and of rising through the ranks by attrition as commanders were wiped out in four years of bloody civil war. None of those specific conditions appear to have been in place for people like Tagge or Motti, not at a period five years after the END of a civil war.

11. Lente

Lente Jedi Youngling

Jan 5, 2017
    This idea originated in NH. Leia in the penultimate version of the script was 16 (if I remember correctly), and then - 19. And she took her place in the Senate not only because being from Royal family, but because she was competent enough.
    This is GFFA with its own internal logic)

In war history you can find a lot of young people with high rank (but yeah, that's not how the system usually works here).

12. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I like this idea. Motti gaining his position in ANH through nepotism explains a lot about him, from his age to his attitude.

Revanfan1, Vthuil, Daneira and 2 others like this.
  13. jakobitis89

Jan 27, 2015
    And would fit with the way the Empire seems to work by the OT era. The likes of Tagge or Veers get there in the end by hard work and being just that good, but for every one of those there's a Motti or an Ozzel who gets promoted because they come from blue blood backgrounds.

14. Daneira

Jun 30, 2016
    Also, at least in Legends, Motti is Tarkin's nephew.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Alexander the Great.

Also, in the TFA visual guide, they talk about how Kylo Ren despises General Hux because he only got his position of power due to his father and had never seen real combat.

16. jakobitis89

Jan 27, 2015
    Alexander the Great also technically got his position due to his father (what with dear old Dad being the King and all) and just so happened to be one of the greatest military leaders ever. The two are not mutually inclusive, or exclusive actually.

Pfluegermeister likes this.
  17. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Ozzel looked quite a bit older than 42 in ESB. I would have placed him somewhere in his early 60s.

18. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    The Marquis de Lafayette got a congressional commission to Major General at age 19-20.

Pfluegermeister likes this.
  19. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Napoleon.

And unlike Alexander or Lafayette, he earned it.

In fact, by 33 he was also First Consul.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

20. Pfluegermeister

Jun 30, 2003
    How 'bout in MODERN times? ;)

21. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Assuming WWII is sufficiently modern for your needs, Brigadier General Edward J. Timberlake Jr. reached that rank at age 33.

Pfluegermeister and Ghost like this.
  22. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah but SW is anything but modern. It's antiquity and Middle Ages and Napoleonic and WWII. :p

Besides, the Empire having weirdly young generals makes sense. People rose quickly via the clone wars -- lots of openings -- and political generals must've proliferated under the New Order.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

23. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    It's also possible that the "Rear Admiral" title is handed out very easily - more of an honorary thing, to heads of research departments and the like.

Krennic was hoping to become Rear Admiral in Catalyst - despite being in Weapons Research rather than the main Navy, and his badge in Rogue One shows "fleet equivalence of Admiral"

Given Jerjerrod's background in building design and starship design - if he's a 23 year old Rear Admiral in Tarkin, or even a little older than the actor - he might have come up that way - through being given great responsibilities and rank to go with those responsibilities - a "boy genius" rather than through the normal naval route.

I could see Krennic being initially extremely jealous of Jerjerrod, for having come so far much faster than he has (using Ben Mendellson's age as a guideline). Which might be why he thinks he can get to Rear Admiral quickly - because Jerjerrod set the precedent.

Cracian_Thumper and LelalMekha like this.
  24. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    After all, it's true that both Krennic and Jerjerrod were architects! Nice observation.

25. Pfluegermeister

Jun 30, 2003
    It's also true that these ideas could lead to interesting stories in themselves. We're having a ball just freestyling! Imagine what the professionals could accomplish! .