The Official The Clone Wars Series Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by HedecGa, Jan 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dgxxx Jedi Knight

star 1
    They wont go for a Secret Apprentice/Padawan, we already have one .

I like the idea that Anakin is a temp master. We certainly need more info
  2. Darth_Sabith Jedi Master

star 4
    I could see it if she was amoung the few force sensitives that the council didn't find orignally and Anakin decieded to teach her, naturally he would bring it before the council but alas they refuse him taking an padawon. Instead of not teaching her as instructed Anakin does so in secret when he gets the chance and hopes that with the progress she shows the council will make her a jedi.

Although I have no idea when he can teach her?
  3. Jmacq1 Force Ghost

star 4
    Yeah, it's not like Anakin has problems with getting too attached to his friends or anything.

But hey, if they're really on the ball and coordinating, you can always have Vader toss out a "I won't fail you like I did Ahsoka" line to the Secret Apprentice!
  4. Ulicus Lit'ari

Manager
    star 6
    Not really. That'd only be a problem if she becomes a Jedi Knight under his tutelage... and she probably won't.
  5. Jmacq1 Force Ghost

star 4
    True...if nothing else she's got "sacrificial lamb" stamped all over her (as virtually any character that doesn't appear in the films yet appears in this series potentially falls victim to). But as noted, even losing a padawan should have a significant impact on Anakin's character, particularly given his attachment issues.

So basically, if she's anything but an extremely temporary student for Anakin, she's a serious problem continuity-wise, from my point of view.
  6. AaronKenobi Jedi Knight

star 2
    I hope that she is just a temporary padawan cause this will kriff up any story set after jedi trial and that includes ROTS.
  7. Sinrebirth SWC and EUC Forum Moderator

Manager
    star 7
    Well, you could have her as his Padawan and then just release a load of material thinking about her. Sure, it looks messy, but when we look back on material a few years from now, it'll be fine. Though some of the EU would need tweaking. Possibly.

As a Canon Apologist, I nearly had a heart attack over this. But, there is a continuity gap between the Battle of Boz Pity and the Battle of Cato Neimoidia, I believe. Anakin's a Knight here, and he may as well take on a Padawan during this time.

After all, Obi-Wan took on one immediately after being Knighted, didn't he?

I assume this means the Clone Wars TV series takes place during the Outer Rim Sieges?

This is the best place to have Anakin taking on Ahsoka as a Padawan, after all.
  8. Corusca_One Jedi Knight

star 3
    If they had thought of this before we need not have had all the confusion with Shaak Ti. Instead of her living, the character appearing in TFU could have been this Togruta.

On the whole master thing: Seems confusing, and it dosn't make sense that she wouldn't have come up in RotS.

Anakin: I am ready to be a Master!
    Mace: We feel you are still to young and quick to anger Anakin.
    Anakin: But i've already trained a freakin padawan guys! Y'know Ahsoka? Red? Stripy? Looks like Shaak Ti?
    Mace: o_O

Perhaps its more of a Reven/Malak kinda thang?
  9. Darth_Sabith Jedi Master

star 4
    I think if they have Anakin have trained a padawon and still not make him a master then it's just one more place they dropped the ball with him...
  10. Jmacq1 Force Ghost

star 4
    As noted, though, it's not the simple act of training a padawan that makes one a Jedi Master, it's successfully training them to the level of Jedi Knight.

A prospect that seems unlikely from a variety of angles where this new character is concerned. (Not enough time, high likelihood of getting killed off, etc...)

Then again, failing to successfully train her is almost as worthy of mention in that scenario as not:

Anakin: "How can you not make me a Master? Wah wah wah!"
    Mace: "Patience, Young Skywalker. Remember what happened to your Padawan...."

So basically it boils down to one least-damaging possibility continuity-wise (and Anakin's character development-wise):

That he only "temped" as her Master for a very brief period.

11. Darth_Sabith Jedi Master

star 4
    Unless she was someone else's Padawon orignally then it would be just to finish her training...
  12. DarthFx3 Jedi Master

star 3
    With Lucas this could not be a big deal. Yoda was the jedi master who taught obi-wan? Dooku was yoda's padawan? Obi-wan was Luke's teacher? Anakin could have given this girl one piece of advice while they flew somewhere and thats an apprentiship to Lucas.
  13. Jmacq1 Force Ghost

star 4
    Not if it's played out over dozens of episodes of a Lucasfilm-produced TV series. Then it's very real, and indisputable canon.

Unlike the novels, where contradictions to Lucasfilm-produced material are concerned.
  14. SuperWatto Manager Emeritus

star 5
    More like a bad master...
  15. Darth_Sabith Jedi Master

star 4
    I will agree with that...
  16. jedimasterED Moderator Emeritus

star 4
    Two things:

1) All this talk of "reboots" and "continuity bombs" sounds a lot like Chicken Little. Relax, people. This new, crazy little acorn does not mean the sky is falling. As already mentioned, there have been many "continuity bombs" defused by lateral, creative thinking. One's response to these issues before (even after) they are addressed/retconned says more about the fan than the work(s) or creator(s). Certainly the questions regarding "Master" Anakin and up-till-now-absent Ahsoka raised by fans here and elsewhere are valid and worthy of an answer. Just remember that the answer(s) might not have been considered in the same fan-based venues. I think fan anticipation (including my own) of this and the live-action TV show is rightfully equal parts giddy and dubious, which makes us fans somewhat schizophrenic... there's no need to add paranoia, depression, anxiety, and APD to this volatile mix. ;)

2) I know the art is all stylized and stuff, but unless she has a very skinny central head-tail running down her back, Ahsoka could be yet another variant on Togruta physiology. Thus sayeth the Wook, "The entire race are distinguished by their three, sometimes (but rarely) four, lekku (similar to those of Twi'leks, and more commonly called 'head tails')...". So, while some are all freaking out about Anakin's new padawan, I'm thinking about the new and exciting developments these additions will bring to this wonderful FICTIONAL galaxy in which I get to vacation, play, and explore.

Perspective, people... perspective.
  17. jSarek VIP

VIP
    star 4
    Why is everyone surprised by this? I could've sworn we knew Anakin was going to have a young Togruta padawan for months.

EDIT: Okay, we've apparently known about "Asoka" the Togruata Padawan since this March 3rd interview, but apparently not the fact that she's Anakin's padawan. Which is weird, because had you asked me a few days ago "What can you say about the Togruta character in the new Clone Wars cartoon," I'd have said "oh, she's supposed to be Anakin's padawan, or something like that, not that it makes any sense." But I don't recall WHY I would have said that.
  18. Rouge77 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    You would?o_O

The character under the name of Asoka was apparently mentioned as early as March last year and by GL himself in last May, but she was not told to be Anakin Skywalker's Padawan until now - as far as I know.:confused:
  19. Obilieveinme Jedi Master

star 4
    I think it will be more of a he chose her as his Paddy and then didn't have time to train her. She probably falls in behind others for support. I don't think Obi-wan would question anyone on how to train someone.
  20. MistrX Force Ghost

star 4
    This is the Clone Wars. She could easily die before she becomes a Knight. Or not have reached that level by the time Order 66 comes down. In either case, it does seem odd that the Council wouldn't mention her as a reason he wasn't made a Master later on. Something to the effect of "and your apprentice hasn't even reached Knighthood yet so there" would have worked.
  21. Super_Battle_Droid Force Ghost

star 5
    Please let Grievous kill her!
  22. Rouge77 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    That would just create more problems for ROTS... It would be hard to explain why her death was never mentioned.[face_plain]
  23. BobaMatt TFN EU Staff

VIP
    star 6
    I...don't see why this is any more a continuity clusterkriff than the prequels were for Bantam EU.

All. Will. Be. Mended.

She was never mentioned because she wasn't invented yet. Nothing is beyond reconciliation.
  24. rhonderoo Former Head Admin

star 9
    There's no doubt all will be mended. And being a Vader fan first and EU fan second, I'm sure I'll be fine with just some more stories thrown in or even retconned to suit this (or even some things made non-canon), especially if it deepens his character...

...but will EU purists? [face_mischief]

I'm pretty excited, especially if he DOESN'T do something predictable like kill her in Order 66 or if we have to re-write a scene of two of various memories of those on the Council. ;) If you think George cares, see: Clone Wars Volume 2/Labyrinth of Evil.
  25. Super_Battle_Droid Force Ghost

star 5
    I wonder if she's also Anakin's mistress?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.