main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Official The Clone Wars Series Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by HedecGa, Jan 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Opinion 1: Unless this is handled absolutely brilliantly, this is a silly, stupid idea.

Opinion 2: It does, however, have some potential, and as long as we're stuck with it it could be very interesting.

Opinion 3: Abel will fix it. The impact on continuity will be painful, but it can hopefully be made to work. Hopefully.

2. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    Actually, it's not; it's T-canon, which would seem to be a step above regular EU.

3. Xenomaniac

Xenomaniac Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 8, 2000
    What the heck are you guys even complaining about?

Why is retconning why Anakin doesn't "think" of his Padawan even necessary? What is the continuity issue?

Presumably, Anakin Skywalker has had many "adventures" that have yet to be put down on paper or expressed in animated form. Does the fact that those adventures are never mentioned need retconning?

Also, how is the existence of this new character more damaging to continuity than anything else Anakin might do on this new show. None of those activities will have been mentioned in previous sources.

If Anakin travels to Planet X in this new series, it doesn't need to be referenced in previously released sources.

In my opinion, you guys are all insane and spend too much time focusing on stupid things like this.

Anakin training a Jedi does not contradict anything that has been mentioned before, and Anakin not "thinking" about his Padawan in previously released sources does not constitute a contradiction.

Geezus...

4. Jango_Fettish

Jango_Fettish Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 17, 2002
    Even if he does train her until knighthood, it will probably be part of the story that he gets mad they don't make him a master. Then they just need to find a good reason for that, have him get all PO'd for a little while, and then come around to (for whatever reason) understand the decision. By the time ROTS rolls around, he may just be over it (assuming, of course, there is an actual reason for his status not being elevated).

Or, if she does die, have it be something the council sees is not Anakin's fault, and therefore is never brought up when they lecture him in ROTS.

5. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Fact that we were going to be told the Clone Wars in real time, six years ago, and now the apprentice of the main protagonist is added to the mix.

Ever think of your mom? Classmates? Friends?

Preferably: yes.

Good point.

It does if it's applicable. That's the keyword here, Xeno: applicable. The current setup of fleshing out the EU doesn't have room for that, which is why people complain.

Then why you on here? You're no different than the rest of us.

6. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Er, the problem is that having a Padawan is significant event. Like, on the order of being engaged or adopting a kid or something. It's something that would have been mentioned, but now we have to explain why it hasn't or, more likely, just nod our heads and understand that LFL does what LFL wants to do. It's canon now, there's nothing we can do about it, but it's just a headache.

7. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    Quoted For Truth

This info has been out for months. The only new thing is an unobscured image of her, an 'h' added to her first name, and her last name. IIRC there was an interview with George many moons ago linked to from the TFN main page at some sort of event (GL was there, this wasn't any sort of official thing) and some woman interviewed him for several minuets and he talked a lot about this series, and Asoka specifically.

While there was no real implication of it, I've always been under the impression that Anakin being a master was a rather temporary matter. My guess has been that she was a Padawan who's master died, and he is more or less playing babysitter for the time being, much like Ki-Adi did for him, and he is never supposed to raise her to Knighthood. It is also very possible that he is on a mission with her and her master, her master dies, and Anakin be comes her de facto master for the rest of the mission/campaign or whatever until they can get her back to Coruscant. There are a number of possibilities, and Dave Filoni, the supervising director has said that GL has an "ignore continuity" attitude, but that Filoni himself will by and large try to enforce continuity as he himself is a fan. I'm not all that worried.

Quoted For Truth

This is one of the worst cases of extreme fanboyism I've ever seen. People are overreacting to the max.

EDIT: And for the record, I'll even be happy if he trains her to Knighthood, as I've always been against the philosophy that all you need to do to to become a Jedi Master is to train a Padawan to Knighthood. It's a significant step, yes, but I've always been under the impression that there is more to it, though most people are usually ready to be promoted by the time they finish training a Padawan. But I've always liked the idea that there are some who achieve the rank of Master without training a student, but rather by devoting years of their lives to meditation and study.

8. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    There's a significant difference between not happening to think of some random planet you went to, and never thinking of your former apprentice even when it would have been appropriate. It's like the difference between Obi-Wan never thinking of that one time he went to Ord Cestus and Obi-Wan never thinking of his secret kid. Can it fit without explicitly contradicting anything? Yes. Does it not make sense in the wider context of canon? Yes. It's the same reason I don't want Palpatine to have a first name. There's nothing that says he doesn't, but only "Palpatine" has been used in so many situations in which it wouldn't make sense not to use his full name that retconning one in would harm the overall consistency of the canon.

I really hope that they'll be able to work this in smoothly, and I do think that it won't be a disaster, but there is certainly legitimate ground for significant concern here.

9. Jmacq1

Jmacq1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 20, 2005
    Hesitant as I am to argue with an insulting hypocrite:

Having a Padawan learner for any significant length of time is a slightly bigger deal than just having some undocumented adventures.

Padawans are important to Jedi. They're not some person they just met a couple times and then never saw again. They're someone that for all intents and purposes was their surrogate child/younger sibling. It's a close relationship and a tight bond, or at least it's supposed to be. A Jedi's Padawan(s) are most likely the most important people they'll deal with in their entire life, alongside their Jedi Master.

Of course, you could argue that Anakin's apparent complete dismissal of her (if she turns out to be his Padawan for any significant length of time) is just another reflection of Anakin's inherent flaws and self-absorption. But we're talking about a person that should be as important to Anakin as Obi-Wan is. Not just some random stranger he met a couple times.

It's a significant, potentially deeply affecting relationship.

That's why it's a problem, as opposed to simply "fitting in" seamlessly just because the adventures haven't been documented before.

10. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    Wow. This is really stupid.

11. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    And there's also the continuity issue of Anakin and Dooku fighting between II and III. [face_whistling]

( Of course, if you watch that interview, GL says that the show's between I and II, but what does he know? [face_plain])

12. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    There's a problem with them fighting between II and III? The implication of "my powers have doubled since the last time we met" is certainly that they've doubled since AotC, but Anakin's arrogant enough that it doesn't preclude them from fighting in between the films.

13. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    We've been told the amount of times they've duelled by sources, I believe. Twice, and one doppleganger was all we had thus far. Three times, plus doppleganger, is a little more.

Mace should fight Dooku for once. Or Yoda fight Grievous. It'd be more original. I would say Mace and Grievous, but the three times they met in canon Mace beat Grievous without many problems, and only crossed blades with him the second time they met.

14. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    When is the TV series supposed to be set? According to the already established EU timeline, Anakin does not become a Jedi Knight until the last six months before ROTS. The Wook information on the series seems to say that it will span the entire period of time between II and III.

How can a Padawan have a Padawan? [face_plain]

15. ThrawnRocks

Apr 10, 2004
    What were the sources? Were they sourcebooks, or novels? If they were novels, were they mentioned in the narration or in actual dialogue?

Sourcebooks fall behind in info pretty quickly. If we can deal with TTT to this day, any problems like this are small and insignificant in comparison.

16. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    They dueled in AotC, The Clone Wars (the video game), presumably The Clone Wars (the cartoon), and RotS. They also fought in The New Droid Army, but that Dooku was a doppelganger.

17. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Pam having a dream that Bobby died on Dallas wrapped things up pretty tidily, too. Doesn't mean it wasn't ridiculous, or warping reality a bit... ;)

18. ThrawnRocks

Apr 10, 2004
    Yes, those are the actual duels (though I admit I don't remember Anakin dueling Dooku in The Clone Wars videogame), but what were the sources that said the specific number of times they dueled?

EDIT: And I know its a stretch, but perhaps the "We" Anakin uses in the line "My powers have doubled since the last time we met, Count" is plural and referring to the last time Anakin and Obi-Wan met Dooku to duel?

19. ARC-77

ARC-77 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 19, 2006
    I wouldn't quite say their fight in The Clone Wars game was a 'duel'. Dooku blocked and Cydon Prax shot Anakin in the back, the whole thing lasting barely over ten seconds.

20. YVH

YVH Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 16, 2007
    Didn't Anakin and Dooku fight in that Legacy of the Jedi book? Or was that only Lorian?

21. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    I definitely agree that Mace should fight Dooku. Of course, Mace should be able to take Tyranus down(given the gap in power between Tyranus and Sidious) but, I'm sure they could make it work.

22. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    The reason I can't see why this is such a big issue is...she wasn't mentioned because she wasn't invented yet. Why is this any different from any other the other schizophrenic doublethink we do any time anything at all is retconned? The prequels tore Bantam EU to shreds, but it worked out. We do all sorts of mental acrobatics every time we're forced to adjust because somewhere deep down we're acutely aware that we're dealing with fiction. Within the two trilogies there are continuity errors far more glaring - Obi-Wan was never really Yoda's apprentice, Obi-Wan never served Bail Organa - and yet we invent reasons to make those problems go away. Why is this different?

23. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    I think much of it is because people thought they were seeing the Clone Wars in real-time which mentally leaves less room for additional material.

24. sabarte

sabarte Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2005
    Mace very briefly fought Dooku in Obsession and got completely outmaneuvered, which was about what I was expecting. Dooku's more experienced and knows Mace way too well.

25. BaneOfTheSith

BaneOfTheSith Jedi Youngling star 1

May 25, 2007
    you know, i share your feelings about people complaining. wow, could you imagine what would happen if the Secret Apprentice turned out to be Anakin and Ahsoka's illegitimate child??? :eek:[face_laugh]=D=

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.