main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Official The Clone Wars Series Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by HedecGa, Jan 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Why not assume that Obi-Wan served Bail Organa during some incident in the Clone Wars that we didn't see? ( The comics probably should have covered it... [face_shame_on_you] )

2. Darth_Sabith

Darth_Sabith Jedi Master star 4

Oct 17, 2006
    Well Yoda did teach all the basics to EVERY youngling so maybe that's what Obi-wan ment...plus yoda was still instructing even fellow masters...

3. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    This has already been addressed.

Obi-Wan uses the definite article. The statement is thus rendered false because we know he was also trained by Qui-Gon Jinn.

Perhaps he was trying to say this: "There you will learn from Yoda, the Jedi Master who instructed me before I was taken as a padawan" but got cut off. ;)

Or maybe he was just, you know, lying.

4. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Hutts can interbreed with H'uuns, as seen in Boba Fett: Death, Lies, and Treachery. So it's entirely possible that we just don't know everything about the Hutt reproductive cycle yet---not that we want to. But there are plenty of possible explanations for Jabba having a son. Depending on how much exposition they throw in, I don't think it'll be a problem.

Also, the plot of rescuing a young Hutt brings to mind Jabba's nephew, Grubba. It could be an interesting PT-OT EU parallel.

5. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    But it seems that H'uuns are actually Hutts, just a low caste.

6. YVH

YVH Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 16, 2007
    Like he was lying about Vader killing Anakin?

It might not be a 100% true statement, but it's true from a certain point of view.

7. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Perhaps he was trying to say this:

"Yoda was the Jedi Master who instructed me before Qui-Gon took over."

8. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Meh, this news is almost a year old. The real question is whether it will contradict Galactic Battlegrounds II or not. ;)

9. Obilieveinme

Obilieveinme Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 27, 2005
    If you read Last of the Jedi you will see that Obi-Wan did serve Organa

10. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    In fact, he was primarily trained by Qui-Gon.

So, yes, it was a plothole that we figured out how to gloss over because we're used to precisely the kind of mental acrobatics we're all pretending we're not capable of. Obi-Wan says Yoda trained him because Qui-Gon wasn't invented yet.

11. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Yup.

Though I wouldn't be surprised to see a subtle edit in a later Special Edition. ;)

"There you will learn from Yoda... the Jedi Master" <ends>

Or

"There you will learn from Yoda <insert>a<insert> Jedi Master who instructed me."

12. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    It's just a slither to the left . . . and then a squish to the ri-i-i-i-ight . . .

13. Ashandarei

Ashandarei Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 21, 2004
    Oh boy, the guy who's a Knight for all of half a year gets a Padawan who will teach him how to teach, learn, grow and love all over again, before something happens with the relationship to push him even more down the dark path. I can't wait.

By the way, do you think the cutesy Togruta here is as hideous in real life as cutesy CW cartoon Shaak Ti?

14. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    That's one brilliant edit, Uli.
    Or rather, two.

15. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Well, I am rather brilliant. [face_mischief][face_batting]

*Uli falls off his high perch and into the gutter*

Bleh. [face_sick]:oops:

But, seriously, I'm quite surprised Ben's lines haven't been fidgeted with by Lucas yet.

16. Kebis

Kebis Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 25, 2001
    Has anyone brought up Vader's line to Obi-Wan yet?
    "When I left you I was but the learner. Now I am the master"
    It seems that's a bigger hole to explain than why we didn't see Ahsoka before in comics or the cartoon network series.

17. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Actually, it's covered by Vader seeming to be more powerful in TESB than in the PT.

18. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    In which chapter? And the all-important question: was it during the Clone Wars?

19. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    ??? I thought that Abel addressed the "trained by Yoda" a while back - that's why Yoda was shown teaching classes of younglings. As to why Obi-Wan didn't mention that his regular Master had been Yoda - presumably it was because he was setting Luke up to be trained by Yoda.

20. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Yes, those are the after-the-fact explanations made to reconcile the seeming error.

21. QuentinGeorge

QuentinGeorge Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 12, 2003
    "Seeming error" My backside. I never spotted this alleged "error" until I came to this board. Fanboys and their assumptions, more like it.

22. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Heh. G-d forbid we assume the information a character gives us is true when he's not shown to be lying. Yoda teaching everyone is an obvious backpeddle, given the phrasing of the original line. And there's nothing terribly wrong with that, in fact my point is that we've gotten used to it already.

23. QuentinGeorge

Dec 12, 2003
    I said nothing about it being untrue. I just find it amusing that "the Jedi Master who instructed me" suddenly means "the only Jedi Master who instructed me."

PT contradicted fanon in this case, not canon. ;)

24. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    The definitive article more than implies singularity. Yoda was not "a Jedi that instructed everyone, for a few years, in the basics, until I got a real teacher who really taught me how to be a Jedi." Yoda was "the Jedi that instructed me." Episode I came out, and Yoda wasn't Obi-Wan's teacher. Episode II goes back and tries to reconcile this.

25. QuentinGeorge

Dec 12, 2003
    Well, much as I really want to get on a tedious argument on what "the" means, I think I'm going to leave with my point. "Glaring error" my backside...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.