The Official The Clone Wars Series Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by HedecGa, Jan 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThrawnRocks Force Ghost

star 6
    I don't think she is made to look bad in that scene thought. At least the narrative of the movie doesn't seem to look down on her supporting Anakin.

I had never really given that scene a second thought. But now that you put it that way, looking at it objectively without the emotional context of the movie, I agree that it was the wrong thing to do. However, the movie doesn't play it that way.
  2. blackmyron Force Ghost

star 5
    From TOS Episode Guide:

ACT I
    A flotilla of three Jedi cruisers, led by the Resolute float beyond the inner rim of the rocky ring surrounding Bothawui.
  3. ThrawnRocks Force Ghost

star 6
    As I recall, those episode guides are not necessarily canon, unless Leeland has come out and said something officially since I last checked. As it is, they seem to be more authorial intent than anything else. Fun to read, but not for sure canon.
  4. Barriss_Coffee Chosen One

star 6
    I tell myself the Bothans put a giant fake ring in place around their planet, to fool Grievous into thinking he arrived at the wrong system. It's the kind of thing Bothans would do, after all.
  5. Quiet_Mandalorian Force Ghost

star 5
    MANDALORIANS!!!!! :D :D :D

Of course, they'll probably be treated as expendable cannon-fodder...
  6. Barriss_Coffee Chosen One

star 6
    FANDALORIANS!!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

Let's hope those Mandies will be treated as expendable cannon-fodder...
  7. Quiet_Mandalorian Force Ghost

star 5
    Gosh, you must really be bored. :p

Why? Don't you think having competent masked soldiery would be a refreshing change at this point?[face_mischief]
  8. Charlemagne19 Chosen One

star 7
    Which is what they are...

*Goes to play KOTOR 1 again*
  9. Quiet_Mandalorian Force Ghost

star 5
    You wish. ;)
  10. Jmacq1 Force Ghost

star 4
    As unpleasant as it may be to consider, there's also the issue of whether Tuskens are really considered "people" by the Galaxy at large. Given that they're mostly known for being barbaric raiders of supposedly-peaceful colonists and farmers, it's entirely possible that the aristocratic Padme considered them little more than animals.

Plus, given the circumstances (they'd kidnapped his mother and effectively tortured her to death), she probably found his actions at least somewhat understandable, and not being read into the deeper philosophies of the Jedi Order, didn't realize exactly how "bad" an act Anakin had committed.
  11. HedecGa Force Ghost

star 4
    ^ That's how I tend to think of part of her reaction: That the Sand People weren't really considered "people" by someone of her "class".

But, even at that, shouldn't she have drawn the line at CHILDREN (if not women, as most likely the women would have had nothing to do with the torture)? I mean, dogs aren't people, but if some dude told me he slaughtered a whole den of puppies that would still raise some serious red flags with me.

I think Padmé has some really big issues and I hope to see them explored, though I doubt TCW will be the vehicle for that.

As for Season Two, I'm still waiting on those "heroes on both sides"...

12. MistrX Force Ghost

star 4
    I don't recall the battle droids wearing masks.
  13. Quiet_Mandalorian Force Ghost

star 5
    I don't recall making reference to droids.
  14. MistrX Force Ghost

star 4
    And I don't recall any lack of competence outside of battle droid units.
  15. DarthIktomi Jedi Master

star 4
    For some reason, it goes with being a mercenary, gushing and bashing aside.
  16. Liliedhe Jedi Knight

star 3
    Don't think dogs, think wolves. That seems to be how the sandpeople are considered by the farmers - come out of nowhere, hunt in packs, are fiendishly clever and live to kill them... In none of the 18th/19th century handbooks for local authorities that contain methods of getting rid of the wolf packs that still were a danger in the remoter regions of South Eastern Europe I ever read anything saying "but don't kill their cubs". :( I'm sure the moisture farmers have a similar policy if they can get away with it.

What Anakin did was very, very wrong. Because giving in to anger and vengeance is wrong, and even wronger for a Jedi. But looking at it from the POV of a moisture farmer (which is likely the only PV on that issue that Padmé knows) their issue would more likely be with the person who lost control (what if it happens again when there are 'real' poeple around?) not with the fact that Sand People are dead.
  17. Quiet_Mandalorian Force Ghost

star 5
    You must be thinking of that other animated Clone Wars series.

Not really. It usually only seems to affect groups of more than two or three, and isn't limited to mercs.

Quite right, really.
  18. DarthIktomi Jedi Master

star 4
    I meant possibly dying is part of being a mercenary. I don't think they deliberately choose to think of Mandos as mooks. I know Luke didn't, my alternate character interpretation notwithstanding of Luke as a closet Sith (possibly even in denial to himself) notwithstanding. (This would make Jacen Dooku.) Just like I don't think the Jedi actually thought of clones as meat droids (the assertions of one author notwithstanding); I think the Jedi just didn't know how to relate to other people. (Exhibit A, Obi-Wan and Yoda charging Luke with the task of killing his father.)

So, the Mandos, like the rest of the Star Wars cast, offer something to the storyline, but are exposed to a lot of danger in the process.

I personally want to see Boba bring down Cad Bane. ;)
  19. Quiet_Mandalorian Force Ghost

star 5
    Ah.
  20. DarthIktomi Jedi Master

star 4
    I was joking with Thrawn McEwok that the worst thing the government ever did was make me agree with Karen Traviss. But Indians are eugenically bred (in the form of blood quantum, patented genes, and until Clinton, forced sterilizations and forced Norplant and Depo-Provera experiments) and we do serve in the military at disproportionate numbers, so, yes, I can see the personal thing with clone slaves. And I love her portrayal of the clones as children trapped in twenty-year-old men's bodies.

(An aside: My cousin's unit has "Vode An" tattooed in Gothic font on their right biceps. So the Mandalorians have a huge fanbase.)

The "Mando mook" thing seems to go only back to their association with the clones. (The first time we saw Mandalore, they weren't mooks. In fact, one of them served as a potential love interest for Leia. He got fridged, of course. But he did so to save his people. And what more can a warrior ask for?) And even then, the Jedi developed a camaraderie with the clones; the Jedi were the ones who insisted the clones be granted the rights of sentient beings. (Palpatine, of course, considers everyone a pawn.) I think the Jedi just didn't like thinking about it.

I know Luke saw Boba Fett as a full ally in LOTF. The only thing that did concern me was his "not my concern" attitude. This from the guy who previously said the whole galaxy was his concern. Possibly even more epic character derailment than the way he killed Lumiya.

So that's my theories about Mandos, clones, and general mook-ness.
  21. Bly Force Ghost

star 4
    Sorry to continue the tangent, but what unit is this?
  22. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Since episode reviews belong more here than in the continuity thread...

(reposting from LACWAC, before other stuff I read ehre about the TF/Cato thing annoyed me further)

I'm very mixed about this episode.

On the one hand, I appreciate the take on a more mature story that doesn't deal with blasters, clones, Jedi (for the most part), battle droids or making something go ka-boom. Plus- the holonet is mentioned. :)

On the other, I felt the Padme/Anakin stuff in the first half was done poorly- not as bad as their lovey-dovey dialogue in AOTC or ROTS, mind you, but it just kinda made them seem petty- Anakin came off really bad for being a "yer my wummin, do whut I say" kind of guy like you'd find as a minor character in a Michael Bay movie or something. And Padme came across as a just-to-spite-you damn-my-choices child.

It doesn't make sense that Anakin would be like that after seeing what Padme has done first-hand (TPM, AOTC). And since when has Padme ever backed down from a decision just to "I'll show you!" someone?

Now the second half is considerably better- though Anakin leaving the guy behind to possibly die instead of taking him into custody further reflecting on him poorly. But there was a nice sense of danger. Though again I'm a bit put off by how characters treated Padme like she was some innocent civilian- they have to know whats she's done in the past and what her real personality is like.

I also agree that the use of Cato Neimoidia as something that could be negotiated with within the structure of the Republic strikes me as profoundly odd. I'd have thought that would have been a Confederacy stronghold, even the Confederacy capital.
  23. DoubleSith Force Ghost

star 3
    The ending was my favorite part - it was a nice homage to Hitchcock's Notorious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ikko4UU0dg
  24. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Well, Lightsaber Lost was just a fantastic episode!

I love the more grounded stories in SW, as they usually give us a chance to explore the environments of the SW galaxy more thoroughly from an every-day perspective and avoid constructs for the sake of set-pieces. Things like Coruscant Nights (timeline errors aside, one of the best SW series ever, with the 3rd book arguably being one of the best "core SW concept" stories since the OT, even if the finale is a huge letdown) and X-Wing and the anthology novels are great in this regard.

The chase through the Coruscant rooftops was awesome and inventive, without being too silly- but the whole time I had to wonder "Why doesn't she just Force grab Cassie?! She did it to the italian fishman earlier!".

Tera Sinube's design and character is interesting- he's obviously inspired heavily by The Dark Crystal and Labyrinth (specifically the design of the Mystics of TDC and the personality of The Wiseman with the bird on his head of Labyrinth), in fact his first scene in the Jedi Archives seems to have dialogue and delivery lifted almost directly from the Wiseman's scene (skip to 8:30 into the vid)- down to the snoozing and slow talking (the snoozing is in the next clip). Which is funny, given that the Wiseman was voiced by Frank Oz.

[image=http://www.sites.si.edu/images/exhibits/Jim%20Henson/slideshow/images/dark_crystal_jpg.jpg] [image=http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/muppet/images/f/f4/Wiseman.jpg]

Cassie also seems based on the "evil ragdoll" concept design for Darth Maul:

[image=http://www.dayofthejedi.com/articles/2008/09/images/prequelconcept/sith1_lg.jpg]

So it's cool to have that DM concept make it's way into use finally.

I like how they're either intentionally or unintentionally setting up the existence of Star Tours in the Prequel-era with the ST signs, with Star Tours II on the way at least featuring the Tatooine podrace, considering that Star Tours had previously been set only in a post-ROTJ setting (the Star Tours company went out of business shortly after ROTJ).

I love how Palpatine is Fox Newsing the Jedi by inserting the accusation against the Jedi into the public consciousness by defending the accusation he's just created in a "Some people say..." sourceless construct manner.
  25. Matthew Trias Force Ghost

star 6
    On a side note, that seems to be a tactic that's favored by all news sources, regardless of their political allegiance. Just as Fox news routinely implies that the president will at any moment suspend the Constitution and declare himself emperor, it was true enough that many news outlets and political commentators hinted at the same about Bush during his tenure as president. Those ideas always exist in public consciousness however.

I don't think Palpatine had to insert that into the public conciousness, so much as he gave it legitamacy by indicating that he was aware of it. No one trusts government, so by denying it, and being someone obviously on the side of the Jedi at the time, that made the population believe it more.

Of course, he's absolved of being complicit in the plot by RotS, and is seen to be a dupe like everyone else, but the idea had already been subconciously reinforced years earlier. Those ideas don't need to be introduced to a public, since the public will always make them up all on its own.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.