The Official The Clone Wars Series Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by HedecGa, Jan 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus

VIP
    star 6
    I've seen the picture before, but I never noticed the earring. And I damn sure haven't read the books. Shun me if you must. [face_not_talking]
  2. Barriss_Coffee Chosen One

star 6
    That was back when we first heard about Rumi Paramita. I was joking about the sister thing (it always seems like the EU wants to make every character of a certain species related). No one else had made the connection though, so I'm probably wrong. But they do look remarkably similar:

Compare:

Slide Paramita

Rumi Paramita

Rumi's species, the Frenk
  3. Senator_Cilghal Force Ghost

star 5
    actually, GODV is the source of quite a few things that have been integrated into other EU...like the MD-series medical droids, Zorba the Hutt, and the Omniprobe...and most recently, the Whaladons, who were evacuated from Dac in the Legacy series (although some of them, as we saw, fell victim to the plague); we even learn that during the CW the Whaladons have a colony on Agomar (not to be confused with the better-known Agamar)...the Whaladons also got stats in GATORW, and

4. Manisphere Force Ghost

star 5
    There just wasn't a darn thing that made Sphere of Influence stand out last night. This has been a problem with each episode this season. I guess Clone Cadets stood out a bit. It made me pity the clones all the more.

Season 1 set up a lot. It had a lot of lightsaber fights and there was just the novelty to simply have a show like TCW every week. The second season had the whole bounty hunter angle. This season seems to be about politics mostly. At least so far.

There was a fair amount of blaster firing, droid chopping, and repetitious political "intrigue" last night but I'm not sure who this show is appealing to at this point. It wasn't interesting from a political angle or from an action angle. The best part really was Greedo the Elder getting kissed on his non-lips.
  5. Dawud786 Force Ghost

star 4
    It was entertaining.

And it did reveal some stuff about the Trade Federation. That's where things are heading, the final revelation that the Federation is fully Seppie and their resultant expulsion from the Senate.
  6. dewback_rancher Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    One thing stood out to me about this episode. I never noticed it in Mar Tuuk's episode, but with two of his lookalikes onscreen at once, something suddenly hit me:
    [image=http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100110050932/starwars/images/thumb/a/a3/Mar_Tuuk.jpg/480px-Mar_Tuuk.jpg]
    [image=http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20070806160524/starwars/images/thumb/b/b6/SwampSlug-McQuarrie.jpg/800px-SwampSlug-McQuarrie.jpg]

Mar Tuuk, his two lookalikes from Sphere of Influence, and the Dagobah Swamp Slug. Separated at birth? [face_mischief]
  7. Barriss_Coffee Chosen One

star 6
  8. dewback_rancher Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    The sad thing is, now I can't UNsee the resemblance, so it's like seeing a swamp slug in elaborate robes running around rather than a Nemoidian. It's totally bizarre. [face_laugh]
  9. Ulicus Lit'ari

Manager
    star 6
    Just saw the Greedo ep. The continuity snarl outside the episode aside, I quite enjoyed it. I had to laugh at the comment about Jedi senses, too, considering my complaints regarding their all-over-the-place portrayal in Season 2.

And, silly as it is, I was chortling away to myself when Chuchi and Padme interacted because, well... it was Bastila Shan as a blue alien talking to Mission Vao as an aristocratic human. Lulz.

But, seriously: Chuchi and Ahsoka being "good friends"? Anakin and Ahsoka stating that they "do it all the time"? It probably says more abotu me, but I can't help but think that someone in the TCreW has their tongue very much in cheek while winking at their, uh, quirkier fans.
  10. CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus

VIP
    star 6
    Okay...

Pros:

-the guards faking Ahsoka's mind trick

Cons:

-adolescents not knowing what the term "corruption" means

-four kids breaking into what's apparently Mandalore's only food warehouse, doing so at the precise location where Almec is doing something suspicious, doing so at the precise time that Almec is there doing something suspicious, and getting back home in the span of an evening

-those same three generic Gotals, who don't even seem to have individual character models

-Ahsoka's magical information thingy not only identifying Almec (because apparently no one else on the planet has his height and built), but actually adding his face to a hologram that's coming from a different device entirely

-Ahsoka and the kids using blatantly conspiratorial body language when the guards are standing right behind her

-Satine's cell having no toilet or bed

-four bound children taking out four members of what should essentially be the Mandalorian Secret Service in perfect unison without breaking a sweat

-the frigging Scooby-Doo thing on the bottom of the screen (okay, that might not be the show's fault)

-oh yeah, and a bunch more Aryans

It should be obvious by now that I can and will defend or explain away almost anything this franchise puts out. So I want my full meaning to be clear when I say that that was the most offensively idiotic episode of TCW I have seen yet. It made me long for the sensibility and suspension of disbelief of the Jar Jar episodes.
  11. CaptainYossarian Force Ghost

star 3
    -adolescents not knowing what the term "corruption" means

Mandalore is corrupt, yet little of it is known about by the population - even Satine is unaware of it extent. Mandalore has stayed the same for a long time - same people, same traditions - no 'outsiders', no 'new ideas'. The same leaders have been in power and the same style of government has persisted for a long time. And a lot of corruption has grown up and become ingrained. Questioning of authority is not the done thing. It is only in the Clone Wars era that things have been shaken up and starting to change.

So how would the kids know much about corruption if they live in an insular society where corruption is not spoken about and, as far as the leaders would attest, practically non-existant? The kids are at the Academy, being schooled to become leaders - taught by people who may be corrupt or support that system. I don't think teaching them about corruption is going to feature heavily in the curriculum. Note though that Satine is keen that the kids should learn about new ideas, whereas the Prime Minister does not think it is a good idea.

To understand the nature of people in a society, you should try and see things from their perspective. If they lack knowledge in a certain area, then you should ask yourself why that might be - what factors in their society have made them turn out like that? When considering what we know of Mandalore, those things are quite obvious.

-four kids breaking into what's apparently Mandalore's only food warehouse, doing so at the precise location where Almec is doing something suspicious, doing so at the precise time that Almec is there doing something suspicious, and getting back home in the span of an evening

They all live in the same city, which may indeed have a central food storage place. The kids are at the Academy, which as a government establishment might be close to where Almec works. If there are other warehouses though, presumably the kids went to the nearest one - Almec was there because it was also near to where he was and hence the place from which he ran his operation and met with his contacts. Which would also make sense if there was one big warehouse for the city - they all went to the same place.

-Ahsoka's magical information thingy not only identifying Almec (because apparently no one else on the planet has his height and built), but actually adding his face to a hologram that's coming from a different device entirely

I think you have mistaken the nature of the device. Ahsoka's device scanned the shadowed face of the hologram and determined it was Almec by comparing it to records. His features were in the image, yet they were too dark to see with the naked eye. Once identified, the image was enhanced and brightened up so it could be clearly seen. Ahsoka's device did not add Almec's face to the hologram, just identified and enhanced the face that was already there.
  12. CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus

VIP
    star 6
    Dinosaurs are non-existent, but I still know the definition of the term. Maybe they're not experts on corruption, maybe they're genuinely surprised that it's present, but not knowing what the word means is like Americans not knowing what "king" means.

Yes, it's important to conduct one's illicit black market dealings in a location that's convenient to one's day job. And even granting you the rest, there's still the matter of a thirteen-year-old slicing her way in in about five seconds.

In the absence of an official explanation, our interpretations are equally valid. But if enhancement was all that was needed, couldn't the kid have done that herself? And cross-referencing the image with some external database would seem to be a different method altogether. Best-case scenario, Ahsoka's device is some kind of special CIA-grade Jedi tech, that just happens to be standard issue for Padawans - even one whose outfit isn't exactly brimming with pocket space.
  13. Manisphere Force Ghost

star 5
    Assassin was pretty good...for TCW. It at least felt like the show felt when it's been at its best. I'm lost with the back and forth of the timeline. I don't know how kids could possibly keep track of the threads.

Question: Was Padme giving her speech on Alderaan? Cause that was one big white creepy Stepford looking audience. There wasn't a non white face out there. Just awful! Heck, Sesame Street was and is so multicultural. Why not TCW?

14. Kera_Ward Jedi Youngling

Why not TCW?

Character models?
  15. dewback_rancher Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    I was thrown out of the episode by the use of Princess Leia's Theme from ANH. I mean, sure, it's Alderaan, we get it, but using Leia's theme with no Leia? Made little sense to me.

That was my only complaint, though- otherwise enjoyed the ep.
  16. HedecGa Force Ghost

star 4
    I am so sick of seeing politicians and politics every week.

I want clone troopers and I want them now. Heck, I'll even take a Jedi, so long as there is hitting and less blabbing about "peaceful resolutions". Blow something up, blast it!
  17. CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus

VIP
    star 6
    That's only a valid excuse for so long.
  18. Havac Some Guy Who Moderates Lit

Manager
    star 7
    I think they're just taunting me now.
  19. ThisIsMadness91 Jedi Grand Master

star 2
    Quoted for truth. This week's episode was slightly more interesting than the last two, but I'm still getting pretty bored of this season. And from what I read in the other TCW topic, it looks like there's still more politics to come.

Also, why did the narrator in the preview make it seem like Bane was wasting his time trying to get info from 3P0? That seems like a solid plan to me. This last month of TCW hasn't really impressed me.
  20. Darth_Gamek Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Buy the Season 2 Blu-ray on Tuesday and watch Landing at Point Rain until you go blind. :p
  21. Barriss_Coffee Chosen One

star 6
    I'm never sure whether I should use this thread or that other TCW so-called "Continuity" one over yonder. Come to think of it, the only reason we're even discussing the show in Lit is because of its continuity implications, eh?

I'll let 2ndQuest have his fun in the other one then... looks like he's on a role and I don't want to interrupt him.

So I'm looking through the new insider, and there's nothing much new on Quinlan or anything else of particular interest, except for this very normal-looking person here who's apparently an old friend and mentor to Padme, Mina Bonteri:

[image=http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab8/BarrissCoffee6/Tatoogirl.jpg]

This is quite distressing, for she's apparently a Separatist. But she looks normal! How dare they let normal people into the Confederacy. And human at that! If she's honest-to-goodnessly a "hero" (incidentally, the episode is titled "Heroes on Both Sides"), our only Separatist hero is... a human?

...oh, wait. Correction.

At any rate, she's probably evil. Every character with an Italian-esque name so far in the show's been evil. Mee Deechi, Hale Burtoni, Vindi, Argyus...
  22. Jango_Fettish Jedi Master

star 4
    Well, she is the first female Separatist hero.

The Confederacy could use a female that isn't a pale bald chick.
  23. Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Yeah, we could use more Seppie females. Bonus points if she's relatable and well-written. But... I kinda get the feeling that Mina will be killed off by the end of the episode. (Or imprisoned. :p) That's just how they do things around here.

So, I concur on the "probably evil." I mean, she has a beauty mark. You can't trust anybody with beauty marks, right? And we only see half of her in that picture---who knows what the rest of her looks like!?
  24. MercenaryAce Force Ghost

star 5
    Well, calling it heroes on both sides and then having the CIS hero be evil would kind of be...I don't know, false advertising?

I also noticed that the most sympathetic character in the CIS so far is human... especially after the episode were the oh so perfect human society of Mandalore was corrupted by greedy aliens!

Though trespass did treat the non-humanoid aliens as more sympathetic than the near-humans.
  25. GGrievous Prequel Trilogy Trivia Version 2.0

Game Host
    star 5
    True, Havac. :p
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.