Discussion in 'Games' started by Qui-Gon_Reborn, Feb 5, 2010.
I recall animated statues... of Jerec.
Personally, I'd hate to see the Vong in the name. I thought they were so ridiculous that I wouldn't want to see them in something like this.
One thing I would like to see touched on, or greatly explored for that matter, is the Promised Land on Taris that the undercity citizens spoke about in KOTOR. I think it'd be great to have that sort of connection from KOTOR, and I wouldn't be surprised if it tied into Malak's bombing. Maybe something like the bombing created the Promised Land (getting rid of the city class system and all that), or maybe the bombs uncovered something.
There are a few things I'd like to see in TOR
1. Vong - I find the concept interesting, particularly because of Canderous' recalling of the encounter he had. few hundred years later another scout mission by the Vong comes along. Would make a great Raid instance, if it was done right. Vong have the potential to break the games timeline though, which would be baaaaad.
2. Space flight - its a big part of SW. Not everything happens on the planets. Being able to own, fly, and even live on your own ship would add a realm of realism to the game that would be interesting to experience.
3. Classes - I read a discussion over on the forums for SWTOR.com where there was a long drawn out (and ultimately a bit of a flamey) discussion regarding a Mandalorian class and an Echani class. Mando's being some sort of Range based heavy class, and the Echani being a non-force sensitive melee class. While I like the concept I don't think the two examples are good. Neither Mandalorians or Echani can be a class really. Both are cultures, and ones a Species. Mandalorian Neo-Crusader and Echani Warrior however...
--3a. Honestly I want to see some Non-force using melee classes. I was rather disappointed with the Jedi Consular and Sith Inquisitor classes, I felt that Bioware was simply recycling the Jedi Knight and Sith Lord classes with a few changes instead of generating new classes. Bounty Hunter, Trooper, Smuggler, and Agent classes all appear to be ranged. Knight, Lord, Consular, and Inquisitor classes are melee. So if you wanna take a melee class you have to be a force user. I find that boring.
4. Races - I don't know if there's an official list of what races will be playable in the game but there are some I'd love to see. Echani, with a natural buff for melee combat would be nice. 'Ahsoka the Lolicon' aside I'd like to see playable Togruta. I think it'd also be cool to be able to play as some of the less then human-like classes. Selkath, Sullustan, the likes of that would be cool.
5. Balance - No Sinre I'm not going Templar on you. Gameplay Balance. This is the problem with SWG, it got unbalanced when people complained about not being able to be Jedi, and when being a Jedi didn't instantly make you 'zomg pwn'. I realize now that in TOR Jedi and Sith are much more common, and because of that I think the game needs to be more balanced. If the Force classes are more powerful then the non force classes nobody is going to want to play them because they won't get anywhere in a PvP setting.
--5a. Reflecting back on 3a this is why I want to see non-force sensitive Melee classes. That way a non-force sensitive player could actually have a chance against a Force user character in a PvP setting. If it turns into a 'deflect a few bolts, close to saber range, pwn because the non-force classes suck at melee' game its going to become stupid faster then Han can do the Kessel Run.
Preferably riding a pony on Sadow's escalator.
How would Voren link in? He's, well, very very dead.
More importantly, space flight that isn't redundant. The main problem with SWG's space flight portion was how terribly dull it was, and how long it took to get anywhere. I'd love to fly some ships we've never been able to experience in any previous Star Wars game, and do so without the same ole same ole stuff we've done a billion times before.
It is a little odd that they haven't announced any non-force using melee classes...however, it's still possible that the Trooper/Bounty Hunter will be able to use melee -- that hasn't been officially nixed yet has it?
As far as pvp goes, melee vs ranged will be similar to what we see in WoW. For instance, ranged will have a variety of snares/cc abilities to keep them at bay. Really I don't see what your concern is here...can you give an example of a game where melee has such a great advantage?
Its potentially possible... perhaps something like the Sith or Jedi encounter a Vong scouting party but they die and all trace of them is lost. And all knowledge is perhaps also lost after the Cold War is over. Might be a way to connect how Sidious became aware of the Vong, perhaps he gained access to knowledge of them from the fallen Sith Empire?
If they do it, I hope they just make it vague or that nothing gets known to everyone. Kind of like Canderous's story... a hint of the future rather then something outright stated.
That's what I assume is going to happen with the Killiks, myself.
If only this post were in the Lit.
Nah, was just funnin', up there, re: Voren.
Sure, Voren's dead. But it's kinda like Eli Cash's Old Custer -- everyone knows he died on Revan's flagship, but...maybe he didn't?
About non-force using melee class: I remember that discussion as well.
What struck me as a good compromise would be Mandolorian Gladiator(or just Gladiator) for the Sith and Echani Warrior (or Genoharaden assassin) for the Republic.
Not only are gladiators featured very prominently in the timeline, but I would like the distinction: both are melee classes, but the gladiator is about brute strength and berserker rage, while the Echani focus on elegance and precision. The biggest problem is that I don't know if the Echani teach other species, but their are ways around that.
Course, all classes will have some melee option: rifle butt for the trooper, a nife for the agent, kicking for the smuggler, flamethrower for the bounty hunter. Ow, and we see a Kel Dor bounty hunter with an electrostaff going head to head with a jedi in an early video.
PS-Sith undead would rock. Though I suppose Rakghoul are more or less the same thing.
Yeah, next to Rhett... I think Voren is my favorite 'uber-lolz' dARK sIDER.
Are you trying to bait me?
"Darth" Voren is an abomination who should have never existed. *spits*
You should have seen my ORIGINAL post....
"Yeah, next to Darth Rhett... I know Lord Voren is Uli's favorite Dark Sider."
I really want Coruscant to feel like Coruscant. I'm not sure what faction will be in charge but it would be nice if reactions of patrons differed based on your class there (Jedi having to hide, Sith strutting around etc).
I want the underlevels to be scummy. I want to be able to pop into the senate. If a bounty hunter maybe off a senator and if a smuggler, maybe bribe them.
I want to be able to use airtaxis and visit the highs and lows of the planet. Basically I want Taris from KOTOR Times 10.
They do, or some do. Atton Rand knew the Echani Martial Art. Thought they aren't around yet the Sun Guard were how the Royal Guard knew the art 4000 years after TOR. So just as anybody can embrace the Mandalorian way of life and become a Mandalorian, anyone with the pacience and ability to learn can learn Echani and become an Echani Warrior, if they can find a teacher.
I agree that the upper levels of Coruscant should in no way resemble the lower levels. But this is Bioware I think they'll get that right. I personally would enjoy being able to creep my way through the underlevels of Coruscant.
No Yuuzhan Vong, they were quite terrible.
However, what I want to see is a discovery (regardless of Jedi or Sith) of what happens to Revan. Also, space flight should be similar to Freelancer IMO.
QFT. They were splendid with Taris in the first game and I hope the Capital gets the same treatment.
Has there been any hint about prestige classes? How other mmo's and other rpg type of games do it is you level up for a certain amount of time and after you meet pre-req's or a level requirement you can choose a more developed class and refine how exactly you want to focus your character. If they did that I think that would help alleviate the whole 4 classes per faction thing.
I, too, would love to see the Vong! I've been wanting a Vong game ever since reading the books. I know a lot of people hated the series, but I loved it and would love an 'instance' or even just a few questlines where you go into territory where Vong are hiding our or even disable one of their world brains or whathaveyou...
Do we know if they are going to go the traditional sense of doing instances and raids or do we have any info on that?
The ability to become a Mandalorian Crusader. Take the bounty hunter story, and change from common thug to a proud warrior. Could have two sides.
Dark Side = Genocidal psychotic butchering Mandalorian
Light Side = Honorable Warrior, who respects his enemies.
What about an assassin's guild?
Ooooh. I'd like that.
I would also like to see the Echani/GenoHardan(sp)/Mando split somewhere.
I think GenoHaradan would be interesting for an 'unalighned' classification. Having aspects of the Agent and the Bounty Hunter, being neither better or worse then either. But able to play for the Empire or the Republic.
Echani Firedancer - Might make for that Republic non-force melee class. Since its the specific aspect of the Echani martial art that uses weapons. Its also something a bit more agile based then 'beat the snot out of it' like one might expect form a Mandalorian Gladiator. As Sinre knows quite well though I just wouldn't want them to ruin the Echani as a culture or a people.