main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TOR The Official "Things We'd Like to See in ToR" Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Qui-Gon_Reborn, Feb 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kalphite

Kalphite Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 4, 2009
    You've got this completely backwards...

My experience with MMOs isn't that females play as males to avoid attention...news flash: All Women Crave Attention...sure they may say they don't like it, and it may annoy them sometimes, but overall they love it.

Very very rarely do I ever hear a female on vent talking for a male avatar. However, it is very common for male characters to make female avatars...

2. Kahn_Iceay

Kahn_Iceay Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 5, 2006
    Improper generalizing much? I suppose all men are sex obsessed testosterone laden block heads too?

I'm speaking from personal experience as well. I used to play Runescape all the time and some of the female players I played with stopped playing or switched over to male avatars because they were getting unwanted attention, constantly being harassed and followed. Enough of them quit that I rarely get on anymore, in fact only two of my female friends still play, and guess what, one of them tends to use Male avatars to avoid aforementioned attention.

3. ebamf

ebamf Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 19, 2009
    that's kind of ironic, back in the day when my friend and i played he used a female character to get free money. he didn't do anything for it really either, he just got stuff from people. of course a lot of today's online gamers are nothing but perverts, so that would explain it for your friends (especially runescape).

4. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    There was an Aussie poster on the boards here at TFN who created multiple profiles... many of which were female. So good was this dude, that mods were fooled into believing these "people" were wives or "gf's" of Lucas Arts, Nintendo employees. One of the "profiles" went to school with "Natalie Portman" and later "she" came down with cancer while pregnant with twins, had the "babies" and died from swine flu. I even got a PM from "her mom" on here, thanking me for being such a good friend... seriously.

The inturnetz is crazy.

5. Rilwen_Shadowflame

Rilwen_Shadowflame Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 27, 2005
    ...What.
    What is this I don't even.
    ffffffff

Do you have to practice to talk in such a sexist way, or does it come naturally? You say this on a site that has a harassment policy as marked proof that strangely enough, women don't always love attention?

I am female. I am also one of the friends he talked about. I play under two avatars. My first was female. These days, I'm more comfortable using my male one because I am that damn sick of being sexually harassed. My friends who have multiple avatars also agree. They prefer their male ones, to avoid the constant harassment.

And if it isn't direct sexual harassment, it changes to 'oh you must be a guy 'cuz no gurlz on the intarwebs durr hurr'. I am absolutely sick of it.

And then I come along and see you cheapening that as though it's not that bad, as though every woman around should be thrilled at crude feeble 'jokes' about her body, her likely sexual status and assorted other bits of inane drivel.

Newsflash: Women are, in fact, people. We deserve to be treated as such. And that includes restricting your attention to the things any gamer, male or female, wants attention for.

"Woot, I levelled up!"
    "Nice!"

vs

"*saying nothing*"
    "hey baby wanna [insert badly garbled sexual innuendo misspelled to get around a chat filter]"

Both men and women like the first. That is friendly, congratulations on a game matter. The second... the second is usually followed up by following the harassment victim around repeating it and variations upon it, until one's game experience is ruined, and a day of playing that should have been fun becomes something you quit in disgust, your good mood gone.

Don't go saying the sorts of things you said. It's misogynistic, ignorant, and, just to drive the point home, is rather like a lesser version of 'oh, she was assaulted? She can't have been! She loves attention, so there's nothing wrong with with what happened!' That's the sort of place your comments lead when they're taken to their extreme. Do you really want to be that kind of person?

TL;DR: Sexists need to suffer horriffic karma-based pain, and I agree with Kahn, there needs to be something to prevent sexual harassment there.

6. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    [face_pig] [face_pig] [face_pig]

7. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 11, 2008
    It's absolutely ridiculous even to suggest something as sexist as "all women crave attention," and I really and truly hope that wasn't a serious comment. And I'd advise you to discontinue such comments in the future, or you may find yourself receiving some kind of attention, and I can promise you it won't be positive.

I, myself, have been a victim of harassment on an MMO. (It was SWG, in case you're wondering.) But for the most part, it wasn't really an issue. Our guild of 150 people only has like 10 (real) girls, but we still all foster a sense of camaraderie and help each other out. Also, it was a group of my male guildies who "persuaded" the guy who was after me to leave me alone, not SOE. So while I'd love for TOR to have a competant way of dealing with harassment, we have to realize that there's only so much they can do, and only so much that needs to be done.

8. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Yeah, thinking there's no harassment online it's either naive or seriously misguided.

9. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Common decency... who knew it would follow the path of the dinosaurs?

10. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    It's probably not so much that it died out as the veil of anonymity that is the internet provides a somewhat safe, secure outlet through which to let your inner jerk shine.

11. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    I hear you.
    The sad thing is, we could universally get away with throwing out any of these after common: Decency, Sense, and Courtesy. Any way we slice it, hiding behind a firewall like that is pretty pathetic.

12. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Dec 11, 2008
    Heh, that's very well said, if not terribly depressing.

13. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    Yeah, it's sad... I played Jedi Knight - Dark Forces 2 online for years, and almost all of my female friends used male avatars for the same reasons. If you saw a female avatar, you could be almost 100% sure that the player was actually a guy. How's that for things being backwards...

14. Cronal

Cronal Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2009
    I had a friend who once played with me on an MMO and he used to play as a female character and male characters used to come up and hit on him... so yeah, I think its kind of an issue as well really. I can imagine it being very frustrating and annoying for female players to face such individuals.

15. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    It is certainly unpleasant, however, the Cantina is probably the best place for this.

I'd like to see some reference to the Kanz Disorders, myself. The Kanz Sector allying with the Sith Empire seems like a given, myself.

16. tjace

tjace Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2008
    I'd like to see them re-retcon Revan into being his own Sith again, rather than turning him into a pawn just to make their end boss seem more "epix". Sadly, this will probably never happen.

17. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Dec 11, 2008
    Yeah, 3720 to 1. :p

18. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003

Dude... you need to talk to more females.

19. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Dec 11, 2008
    Okay, guys, let's leave that alone for a while. We're talking about Revan now. :p

20. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I think we'll inevitably see a turn away from this.

Look at Jacen Solo, jace - he was first his own Jedi, then influenced by Vergere, then by Lumiya, then by his journey...

Revan has been a savior Jedi who fell, then a Jedi who found the True Sith and came back to save the galaxy, and now a pawn of the Sith Emperor...

I imagine that Revan's backstory will probably be fashioned into some 'Revan was falling to the dark side, encountered the Sith Emperor, and this self-sacrifice mentality carried him all the way down into Darth Revan to oppose the Sith Emperor'.

21. tjace

tjace Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2008
    I don't mind influence, as in the case of Vergere and Lumiya, as they may have had an impact on Jacen with their arguments and teachings, but ultimately Jacen chose what he became, in both instances.

What I'd like to see for Revan in light of the recent information is some variation of "Revan was greyish light at the beginning of the Mandalorian Wars, dark by Malachor, encountered the Sith Emperor who showed him the way of the Sith and attempted to make him another lackey like the Dark Council (or the other Sith, whatever) were, Revan realized this and pretended to comply with the Emperor's command to go back into the galaxy to take it for the True Sith. However, Revan was genuinely building his own Sith Empire, for him alone to rule over, that would defeat the Republic and the Jedi. Revan then planned to betray the Sith Emperor when he and the rest of the True Sith came out of hiding and kill the Sith Emperor, and make all Sith everywhere serve him. He was well on his way to accomplishing this when Malak (who was unaware of all of his master's machinations (and possibly the existence of the True Sith, I'm not particular on this point)) betrayed him..."

So, in short, while I would not be so upset if it turned out that the Emperor is where Revan got his Sith teachings and some of his ideas on galactic domination, I would mind if Revan submitted completely to the Emperor's will.

22. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    I think it'll be hard to retcon away Revan discovering the dark secrets Malachor V before the end of the war - he was well onto his way to Sithdom by the end of the Mandalorian Wars. He's a Sith - maybe not a Lord, or a Darth - but a Sith nonetheless.

23. tjace

tjace Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2008
    I didn't mean that I would want that retconned away, I would just prefer it to be later in the war (say, the last year or so). I guess this is because I'd rather not see the Revanchists cause turned into another "oh, they chose to fight, therefore they must be bad because the Council says so, therefore they must have always been evil Sith." If the discovery of Malachor was sometime after the Second Battle of Taris (so that Juhani's heroes were actually heroes) and before the Second Battle of Dxun (what with all the morally questionable suicide charges and all), I would be satisfied.

24. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    I reckon that's how canon fits, isn't it? And I can't recall if Taris is saved before Onderon, myself.

I'd like to see a Jedi Temple on Tython where the statues surrounding it are of the Jedi Exile and her comrades.

25. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Argh, but not that loser Mical. That chap doesn't deserve anything. All he did was sit around and spout words of nonsensical banality if he managed to get on your ship. He was worse than an infestation of gizka. At least you could pet or kill those little fellas.

Hmmmm... which leads me to question whether there'll be pets in this game, like other MMOs. WoW's pretty good about that. If so, I'd go for a gizka. Named Mical.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.