A&A The Official Troy Denning Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Gatherer, Feb 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark_Jedi_Kam Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I didn't cry when he died, but i did when han and leia found out. that was hard for me. Best SW book ever
  2. DVader316 Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Tatooine Ghost does sound great and Im really looking forward to it, but that title has to go. It is positively godawful (No offense intended toward Mr. Denning, of course).
  3. Darth McClain Arena Manager Emeritus

star 6
    But TG has been officially announced at SW.com as TG, DVader316.
  4. DjFoNiX Jedi Knight

star 1
    I MUST say:
    Star by Star was the BEST Star Wars book in the series to date!!! I'm a huge Anakin fan.. but the way he was written was excellent. And, I think I speak for a lot of people here that all contributions to the Star Wars storyline would be GREATLY appreciated!!!
  5. JainaSoloXI Jedi Knight

star 1
    Best Star Wars book ever IMO. When Anakin died....I cryed and almost threw my book across the room I was so mad lol. But it was a great book. Borsk's last stand, actually made me respect him a bit.
  6. vader_slayer Jedi Knight

star 1
    I just finished SBS yesterday after waiting a month for it to come out in paperback and I can confidently say that it is one of the best SW books ever. Can't wait for TG. Keep up the good work.
  7. AdamBertocci Manager

Manager
    star 7
    I am very excited for Tatooine Ghost, and I have never been excited for a Star Wars book before.

The reason is Troy Denning.

With the possible exception of the original movie's novelization, "Star by Star" was the best-written SW book I've ever read.

If I could pick anyone to write the E3 novelization, Mr. Denning all the way! :D

Rick McCallum loves you!
  8. Excellence Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    This Rick McCallum loves you! thing is going to drive me nuts eventually. I keep thinking it's the actual man saying it.

Oh well.

"Smithers," Burns smiled coldly, "release the wolves . . ."
  9. Ginger Jedi Master

star 4
    I can't wait for Tatooine Ghost. Here's a little blurp someone find at Walmart.com.

Spoilers

Marriage has not changed Han and Leia much--they still bicker and banter with each other, but now they have something new to disagree on: whether to have children. Han wouldn't mind being a father, but Leia is terrified that whatever turned her own father into Darth Vader might be genetic, and she can't risk giving birth to a monster. In an attempt to put the past to rest, the newlywed couple goes to Tatooine, where they speak with people who knew Leia's grandmother, Shmi Skywalker. And Leia gets a gift: Shmi's diary in which she recorded all her hopes and dreams for her beloved son, Anakin. While Han and Leia get caught up in an ever-escalating adventure on Tatooine, Leia reads her grandmother's diary and learns something of her heritage, something that will change her forever...

10. Anakin_Solo02 Jedi Knight

star 3
    *sbs spoilers*

i have to say i think that star by star was one of those books that are great until you get to one, terrible part, and it ruins the entire book.

of course it's no fault of troy denning's that anakin solo was killed. but i think it's sad that he could write such a great book...and then have it ruined.

anakin's death destroyed the book in a thousand ways, but here are just a few....

*Tahiri's character becomes nearly pointless the rest of the book...without anakin, tahiri was never too popular.

*The authors of the NJO can no longer make it realistic that the New Republic wins this war with their best Jedi Knight dead.

*Killing a character like Anakin hurts a little too much for many star wars fans tastes.

*Name one good reason that he had to be killed. I've been thinking and searching for quite some time, and haven't found a thing. Why not Jacen? He wasn't half as popular. Or Mara? She was dying anyway.

Star by Star had the makings to be the greatest Star Wars book ever. I usually read all spoilers, but when i heard rumours that anakin may die in star by star, i stopped reading all the spoilers. Star by Star was getting better each page - that long, driving quest through the yuuzhan vong worldship to kill the voxyn queen- until anakin died. That ruined it for me and a million other star wars fans. one would hope in the future that when the authors of a star wars series come up with such a popular character that they don't kill him off mercilessly.

Anyway, that's all i have to say about that. :)

Thanks,

Anakin_Solo02
  11. Sologal Force Ghost

star 4
    Mr. Dennings, I just want to say how much I loved your short story Corphelion Interlude. This is exactly the way I picture Han and Leia interacting with each other in private moments, playful and romantic.

And after reading the Tatooine Ghost excerpt in A Forest Apart (this was a great story as well), I'm looking even more forward to reading it. Likewise, I'm looking forward to the H/L short story that is to appear in the Insider. Thanks for giving us H/L fans something to look forward to. :)
  12. Tailone Jedi Knight

star 1
    Thank you . . . I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I did writing it!

Troy
  13. Yodaminch Force Ghost

star 5
    Mr.Denning- i just read your interview in Star Wars Insider 66 and I also wish to see a Yoda novel. I can't wait to read Tatooaine Ghost and Forest Apart. I loved Star by Star
  14. Hail_Jaina Jedi Knight

star 2
  15. Darth McClain Arena Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I'm getting excited for TG...only a few more days!
  16. SithTahiri Jedi Knight

star 3
    SbS was a beutiful book. But Anakin's death was very uncalled for. Over all though SbS was a great book.
  17. DelReyPublicity Del Rey Asst. Director of Publicity

VIP
    star 1
    Troy Denning is touring for Tatooine Ghost[i/]. You can see him in the following locations

SAN DIEGO, CA
    Monday, March 24th @ 7:00 PM
    Talk & Signing
    Mysterious Galaxy Bookstore
    7051 Clairemont Mesa Blvd.
    San Diego, CA
    Phone: 858-268-4747

SEATTLE, WA
    Tuesday, March 25th @ 7:00 PM
    Talk & Signing
    University Bookstore
    4326 University Way NE
    Seattle, WA
    Phone: 206-634-3400

TUKWILA, WA
    Wednesday, March 26th @ 7:00 PM
    Signing Only
    Waldenbooks #0406
    270 Southcenter Shopping Center
    Tukwila, WA
    Phone: 206-248-0886

CLEVELAND, OH
    Thursday, March 27th @ 7:00 PM
    Reading & Signing
    Joseph Beth Booksellers
    13217 Shaker Square
    Cleveland, OH
    Phone: 216-751-3300

WATERFORD, CT
    Friday, March 28th @ 7:00 PM
    Signing Only
    Waldenbooks #1303
    Crystal Mall
    850 Hartford Turnpike
    Waterford, CT
    Phone: 860-442-8684

FT. WAYNE, IN
    Wednesday, April 2nd @ 7:00 PM
    Talk & Signing
    Million Story Book Company
    6360 W. Jefferson Blvd.
    Ft. Wayne, IN
    Phone: 260-407-2200

MADISON, WI
    Saturday, April 5th @ 2:00 PM
    Talk & Signing
    University Bookstore
    711 State Street
    Madison, WI
    Phone: 608-238-8455
  18. JediMasterAaron Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Describing Tatooine Ghost in one word is easy.

Phenomenal. :)

JMA
  19. Ginger Jedi Master

star 4
    Thank you Troy Denning, for A Forest Apart, Corphelion Interlude, and Tatooine Ghost. I enjoyed all three stories very much. I'm now looking forward to reading Never Trust a Squib.
  20. TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff

VIP
    star 5
    I'd like to point out that the decision to kill Anakin was made *very* early on in the NJO storylining process, before *any* of the NJO books had even been written. Anakin was not a popular character at the time, in fact, because of the unpopularity of the Solo kids among some EU fans, there was even some concern that nobody would care if Anakin died.

TC
  21. Darth McClain Arena Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I'm looking forward to his Insider short story as well. :)

TG was a really nice read.
  22. Genghis12 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    TC...
    "Anakin was not a popular character at the time, in fact, because of the unpopularity of the Solo kids among some EU fans, there was even some concern that nobody would care if Anakin died."

Well, this actually isn't a completely accurate account of the Insider article or an accurate account of fandom.

Anakin was an extremely popular character, and has been so ever since 1991 when he helped his mother and uncle end the threat of Emperor Palpatine in Dark Empire.

Those who weren't aware of that perhaps didn't necessarily have their finger on the pulse of fandom.

Not very scientific, but gets the point across as well as any...

1. Google search hits for "Anakin Solo" - 34,900 ( :eek: )
    2. Google search hits for "Jacen Solo" - 7,320
    3. Google search hits for "Jaina Solo" - 8,190

And for benchmark comparison...
    4. "Mara Jade" - 40,200
    5. "Thrawn" - 40,800
    6. "Luke Skywalker" - 128,000
    7. Darth Vader - 229,000

There's absolutely no comparison. Anakin Solo is on a completely different level than his siblings, and has been so since the early 90's for those following these particular characters.
  23. rhonderoo Former Head Admin

star 9
    I absolutely loved Tatooine Ghost, as a Han/Leia fan and an Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader fan. It was marvelous the way Anakin was humanized for Leia. This is my new fave EU book of all time.
  24. Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Mr. Denning,

First off all of your SW stuff has been wonderful. I loved Tatooine Ghost, Corphelion Interlude, and Star by Star. They were fantastic!

I'm curious if you do book signings via the mail? I realze that the fan would have to provide the postage, book, envelope(s), etc. and I've searched your site and I did not see any information regarding this. So I figured I would ask in here.

I thought the Squibs were hilerious. :)

Good job!
  25. Tailone Jedi Knight

star 1
    Thanks for the kind comments about Tatooine Ghost! They really made my day.

I hope those who live close enough to one of the stops on my TG tour will come and meet me in person--I'd enjoy talking with you.

For those who can't make a signing, I'll be happy to sign books via mail (with SASE)after I return. If you're interested, send me a PM and we'll set something up.

Thanks again for all the support!

Troy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.