main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A&A The Official Troy Denning Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Gatherer, Feb 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chimpo_the_Sith

Chimpo_the_Sith Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 15, 2003
    Mr. Denning I would like to ask one question about Jag's military rank in DN trilogy.

In NJO Jag was a Colonel in Army rank, which meant that in Navy he would be the rank of Captain. In TJK Jag is called by the title of Commander, which is a lower rank then Captain. In Army that would mean he was Lt. Colonel. Then in TSW we learn that Jag is Captain, which would mean he returned to his former rank. What caused all those changes in his military rank? ( promotion in TSW was due to his actions in TJK but why was he lower in his rank before TJK? )

2. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    I think I can answer that one. Jag was a Colonel in the Starfighter ranks, while a Commander in the fleet, which I think could outrank a Starfighter Colonel, given that Navy Captains in the Imperial Fleet can promote officers to General rank in Starfighter and Army ranks (Pellaeon did this to Covell as I recall).

3. Tailone

Tailone Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 10, 2001
    Hello--answers below:

But what about Leia? She's certainly got potential, and we've seen from as far back as Dark Empire that she's capable of some pretty nice Force feats. With her formal training in DN, and in light of Saba's comments to Jacen in TSW, where does the Princess stand amongst the echelons of her brother and her fellow Jedi?

I think Leia has a lot of potential, but she does lag behind Luke--if for no other reason than she just hasn't been training for as long as he has. That side, I think she'll be able to use the Force just as effectively, but in different ways--and without the same amount of raw power.

Of course, I'm not the ONLY author who writes Leia. ;) Others may have a different--though just as valid--interpretation.

Allya <--- ancestor of Tenel Ka and Anakin <--- ancestor/brother of Jacen = Allana

And the prize goes to Ruinevil! (But what the heck does that handle mean?)

Second, I was wondering if you could explain the meaning of the "Third Vagaari War" that Formbi made reference to in Dark Nest, especially now in Outbound Flight, Zahn has made it clear that the Vagaari had been ignored by the Chiss until Thrawn lured them into his trap, and then were never seen again until the events of Survivor's Quest?

Probably not . . . you must remember, that Formbi isn't exactly an honest fellow. He always has ulterior motives.

Thirdly, I wondered if you could tell us about Mitt'swe'kleoni, specifically, the familial relationship he has, if any, with Thrawn and Drask (Prard'ras'kleoni), two other Chiss with rather similar full names?

What was Thrawn's full name again? Mitt'hraw'nuodo? (I know I'm butchering it--please forgive.) I have a hard time remembering, but I think I meant to imply that Tswek was related to Drask--or at least from the same house. I don't think I meant to imply that he was related to Thrawn, however.

Mr. Denning I would like to ask one question about Jag's military rank in DN trilogy.

In NJO Jag was a Colonel in Army rank, which meant that in Navy he would be the rank of Captain. In TJK Jag is called by the title of Commander, which is a lower rank then Captain. In Army that would mean he was Lt. Colonel. Then in TSW we learn that Jag is Captain, which would mean he returned to his former rank. What caused all those changes in his military rank? ( promotion in TSW was due to his actions in TJK but why was he lower in his rank before TJK? )
    1. AI think I can answer that one. Jag was a Colonel in the Starfighter ranks, while a Commander in the fleet, which I think could outrank a Starfighter Colonel, given that Navy Captains in the Imperial Fleet can promote officers to General rank in Starfighter and Army ranks (Pellaeon did this to Covell as I recall).

To tell the truth, I became frustrated with switching back and forth between army ranks and naval ranks and decided to just go with naval ranks. So, basically, I assumed that Jag's rank in NJO was Lt. Colonel in Army terms (reasoning that you can address a Lt. Colonel as "Colonel", which = Commander in naval. He was promoted to naval Captain between TJK and TSW. (All you Jag shippers: please take this as proof that I don't hate the guy!)

Take care,

Troy

4. YodaSlayerofEwalks

YodaSlayerofEwalks Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 3, 2006
    Hey Mr. Denning
    I was wondering if you knew about this "no more Wookie jedi rule" that popped up on the forum. What are your thoughts on that. As a fan of the walking carpets i was a bit disapointed. Something to do with Lowie being exiled to dagobah in The Swarm War?

Thanks!

5. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    Talione: I have a hard time remembering, but I think I meant to imply that Tswek was related to Drask--or at least from the same house. I don't think I meant to imply that he was related to Thrawn, however.

Hmm? o_O There are so many ways a fanboy could deconstruct that. :p :D [face_laugh]

Another thing that just struck me. The new Jedi Temple... it's kinda Star Destroyer shaped...

Was that deliberate? :confused:

- The Imperial Ewok

6. Chimpo_the_Sith

Mar 15, 2003
    Thank you for answering my question Mr.Denning :)

But if he was Lt.Colonel then why wasn't he adressed with his true rank at the formal meetings. He was not even mentioned once as Lt. Colonel. This is confusing :confused:

7. Chimpo_the_Sith

Mar 15, 2003
    Sorry that it's in two posts but edit button doesn't work [face_plain]

I actually thought that maybe Jag made something during the break between TUF and TJK that cost him his rank and that's why he was demoted. ( He might be raised by Chiss but he is still a full-blood Corellian ). At least this way we wouldn't have problems with chronology ;)

8. ruinevil

ruinevil Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 12, 2005
    With Zahn having the Aing-Tii monks teleporting the Wild Karrde through the galaxy, and you (Denning) having Jacen manipulate time with flow walking, are you two trying to say the Aing-Tii use the Force to manipulate time and space itself?

If so, can we expect Jacen to instanteously teleport in future books?

9. Killik_Killer

Killik_Killer Jedi Youngling

Dec 31, 2005
    I had no idea that authors actually came to these forums. :eek: [/newbie]

Mr. Denning,

Though I am still grieving over what happened with Jaina/Jag, I really enjoy your writing. It is very descriptive, has realistic battle scenes, and can get me pretty emotional.

I've got a list of 'People I hope to someday meet', and you're pretty high on it. :D

Anyway, I've been reading the last couple of pages, and the only question I have that hasn't been answered is this: What happened to Jag's hair color? I was pretty sure it was black, but you changed it to brown...o_O

~Killik Killer

PS: I know you don't answer LOTF questions, but this is so basic I'm hoping [face_praying]: Will Kyp get a part in LOTF?

10. frozenphoenix32

frozenphoenix32 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 23, 2005
    Mr. Denning, could you please elaborate on this matter:

What is the class of Star Destroyer that Admiral Ackbar is of? Is it just called an Alliance-class Star Destroyer? Or is it perhaps Victory-III?

Secondly, what exactly is the Chiss Star Destroyer mentioned in Dark Nest? Is it actually a modified Imperator-class?

Thanks.

11. Tiershon_Fett

Tiershon_Fett Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    I had no idea that authors actually came to these forums.

Only the cool, and brave ones.

12. Killik_Killer

Dec 31, 2005
    [face_laugh]

But I sense that you're making fun of the ones who don't... o_O

13. ruinevil

ruinevil Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 12, 2005
    A good chunk of EU authors have aliases here... but only Troy has posted anything in the past 3 years.

14. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Errrrrrr... so not true. :)

Just within the last 3 years has given us interaction with Matt Stover, Del Rey and Lucasbooks both, Karen Traviss, most of the Dark Horse folk, much of the Wizards of the Coast folk, Williams and Dix, Walter Jon Williams, Steven Barnes... and so forth.

However, given Troy's natural state of spoiler-despisement and the fact that he likes living dangerously with his LFL-Implant, he likes to taunt us more than most... ;)

15. SilSolo

SilSolo Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004
    Hey Mr. Denning, is Allana a combination of Allya and Anakin?

16. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

There are . . . others. Not Others, from George Martin's books. Others, in the shade. [face_shhh]

:p

17. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Mr. Denning:

You know I love your books. They rank amongst my top favorite EU novels of all time.

But, you have a problem...

You have a serious addiction to Star Destroyers. :p

I was hoping you would recover on your own, but I fear that it may be spreading. I have decided to take matters into my own hands and stage an intervention. :D

When you describe NR/GFFA fleets, you never mention by name any other warships than Star Destroyers. While I love those white triangles, we need a bit more diversity. You need to mention the other various warships used by the GFFA fleet, like Mon Calamari Cruisers, Star Defenders, Republic-class cruisers, Bothan Assault cruisers, Ranger-class gunships, Endurance-class fleet carriers, etc.

You still have a chance to recover. All you need to do is include more diversity when refering to the types of warhips fielded by the Alliance government.

--Adm. Nick

P.S.

This was all said in good humor. While I do hope for more warship classes to get a mention, I decided to post this request in joke for to mix things up a bit. :D

18. MrNomAnor

MrNomAnor Jedi Master

Sep 17, 2001
    Troy (come back, we miss you!),

*You mentioned a few pages back that at the end of Dark Nest, the Ithorians actually got their pick of the worlds in the Utegetu Nebula. Since this detail, for whatever reason, was omitted from Swarm War, is there any chance it snuck into Tempest or if not, that you can work it into one of your other Legacy entires?

Just so that everyone knows this. ;)

*The New Essential Chronology, in its Dark Nest section, calls the Utegetu Nebula the "Paradise" Nebula. Since this name was never even mentioned in the trilogy, what can we make of this? A simple error, or does "Utegetu" mean "paradise" in Basic? :confused:

*Can you put us out of our misery in Legacy, and give Saba's lightsaber blade a colour? =P~ And while we're at it, how about doing the same for Tesar? [face_praying]

Thanks, Troy.

19. Eleventh_Guard

Eleventh_Guard Jedi Master star 5

Dec 17, 2005
    Mr. Denning,

A question came up in another thread regarding Allana. What is the correct pronunciation of her name?

20. Killik_Killer

Dec 31, 2005
    But they're Star Destroyers... =P~ :p

21. Gorkos

Gorkos Jedi Master star 1

Oct 31, 2000
    Sorry for taking so long to reply, but the Board login was giving me trouble. And then, I... forgot. For two months. But now I've remembered, so here's a late thank you for answering my questions.
    I expected to have to come up with a follow-up question concerning the name of Jacen's daughter, but I see that has already been clarified.

Another one then, maybe: Your TEMPEST... any relation to Shakespeare's play? Daughter, grandson, distant cousin? It has been suggested to me that there may be intentional parallels between your novel and/or LOTF as a whole and the play, and that the title TEMPEST might be a silent acknowledgement of that. Personally, I could come up with a few possible similarities (not knowing, obviously, what direction the story is going to take), but I still think this particular fan theory is somewhat far-fetched (and I didn't even see a possible connection between novel and play title until it was mentioned).
    Assuming the title was your decision: Did you think of Shakespeare at all when you conceived it? Or did you simply choose it because "Emotional & Physical Turmoil" would have been too long and awkward a title, and "Storm" both too prosaic and too reminiscent of a Petersen movie?

22. TheHuntedOne

TheHuntedOne Jedi Youngling

Apr 14, 2006
    Hello Mr. Denning. I am so glad that you have a Username for theforce.net. I heard you posted here and I had to come. I am new here. I wanted to ask you a question. Will you be writing any more Star Wars novels after LOTF?

23. solokid2

solokid2 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 25, 2005
    mr. Denning ,
    i suggest that there should a Sourcebook for the Dark Nest books.

24. solokid2

solokid2 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 25, 2005
    why is Luke Skywalker the "Grand Master" of the Jedi? because it reminds me of Palpatine calling himself Galactic Emperor

25. Master-Ikrit

Master-Ikrit Jedi Youngling

Jun 8, 2002
    Why he becomes Grand Master is pretty well answered in The Swarm War when he actually becomes Grand Master. Basically in my opinion he has to become the Grand Master because he doesn't have the advantage of time to wait for the other Masters to get back to working well together as a council so he takes sole leadership for the duration of the Swarm War, then decides at the end to set up an all Jedi council now that he has the breathing space to get the Masters working togther to run the order. That's my take on it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.