main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A&A The Official Troy Denning Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Gatherer, Feb 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Furyan_Jedi_13

Furyan_Jedi_13 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 6, 2007
    I'm confused about Troy's shipping preferences. Some people say that he supports Jaina/Zekk, but others say he supports Jaina/Jag. Somebody help me out here?

2. flowerbee

flowerbee Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 29, 2004
    Personally, I don't think he supports anything... and likes to tease readers who do. :p

3. Furyan_Jedi_13

May 6, 2007
    I dunno, he did a pretty good job of wrecking the J/J relationship in Dark Nest.

Anyway, does Troy actually respond to these boards? Because I've got a LOT of questions to ask him. Though something tells me he may not be able to answer them. :oops:

4. Furyan_Jedi_13

May 6, 2007
    HEY TROY!!!

Are you ever going to respond to this thread again?!

I have many, many questions to ask you!

5. Darth_Sabith

Darth_Sabith Jedi Master star 4

Oct 17, 2006
    Give him a break he's probly bussy writing the next book and he does reply but give him a chance.

6. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, Troy is writing the last LOTF book now, so it'll probably be a bit before he has time to drop in.

"Patience, for the Jedi it is time to eat as well..."

7. Darth_Sabith

Darth_Sabith Jedi Master star 4

Oct 17, 2006
    Um it's a bit quite on this thread I figure there would be a bit more activity here.

8. jedipencil

jedipencil Star Wars Sketch Card Artist star 1 VIP

Oct 30, 2006
    I am reading Inferno now (it will take me a while to finish because of workload) and I am having a BALL with this book! I'm glad Jaina and Zekk are around in this one - they are my favorite characters as well. Apart from Ben of course. Well I like Jacen too, but things don,t look to good for him, and I'm so disappointed he's not realizing the errors of his ways...But anyway, Zekk is a very interesting character, and I'd love to see more stories about him (and come on, when is he going to do something about Jaina??:D )

9. jedipencil

Oct 30, 2006
    MIGHT BE SPOILERS BELOW FOR SOME PEOPLE....

Three quarters of the way through the book, and I'm THOROUGHLY enjoying it! I love the way the relationship between Jacen and Ben is changing, can't wait to see what will happen. Jaina is always interesting (please please please put her and Zekk together - they're made for each other!) How will Luke finally deal with things, I wonder? But my heart goes out to Han and Leia...I mean it's just not fair: first Anakin, and now all this with Jacen.....as a parent, though, I see them reacting slightly different, but then, not everyone reacts the same. Fantabulous book!!

I'll be so sad to see this series end...

10. Furyan_Jedi_13

May 6, 2007
    Jaina is always interesting (please please please put her and Zekk together - they're made for each other!)

As a long-time J/Z shipper, I am pretty much obliged to agree with you here. The only problem is that the J/J shippers would argue otherwise, using the same argument. Sure, J/J may be the most popular :mad: , but Troy does not seem to like that ship. And I get irritated with those who believe that they will start the Fel dynasty. It seems too simple for me.

I can almost agree with those who say that this whole thing has gone on long enough, and that all three of them (Jaina, Zekk and Jag) need a fresh start. I'm just hoping that Troy does that in Invincible. If he does that, I should be OK with it. Of course, if Jaina and Zekk FINALLY get together, I will be SO thrilled!

I apologise if I sound a bit biased, but following a particular ship for over a decade does that to you, I'm afraid. Sorry.

I'll be so sad to see this series end...

Yeah, but think about it this way: Troy Denning is writing the final book, so we are almost guaranteed one kick-a$$ conclusion to this series!

p.s. BTW, that's an interesting name you have there jedipencil. How'd you come by it?

11. jedipencil

Oct 30, 2006
    I am actually new to the newer books of the Jedi Order, for multiple reasons, so this Zekk / Jaina thing is new to me. Well I read the Dark Nest trilogy too... Nope, it cannot be Jaina / Jag - Jag is not nearly "clever" or interesting enough for Jaina. She would be bored silly with him after a day. Or two. Zekk is the guy for her. I know about these things. [face_whistling] I'll seal it in stone by drawing them together when I've the time.

I think I agree. I like each and every book for its own merit, but this one is keeping me on the edge of my chair...

When I joined my very first forum a year and a half ago, I had to come up with a username...couldn't think of anything, but being a mega SW fan obviously helped, and the pencil part...well, I'm an illustrator so...anyway, I didn't like it at first, but it has grown on me.

In any case, Mr. Denning, you write good books. :D

12. Furyan_Jedi_13

May 6, 2007
    I am actually new to the newer books of the Jedi Order, for multiple reasons, so this Zekk / Jaina thing is new to me. Well I read the Dark Nest trilogy too... Nope, it cannot be Jaina / Jag - Jag is not nearly "clever" or interesting enough for Jaina. She would be bored silly with him after a day. Or two. Zekk is the guy for her.

Well, I'll agree with you there because I've supported them since YJK, but your reasons are good enough. But on the flip side, many Jag fans can come up with a variety of reasons as to why they believe that he's better for Jaina instead of Zekk. In fact, they may say that Zekk is not clever or interesting enough for her. So really, it comes down to personal opinion. In other words: bias. It's sad, I know.

I know about these things. I'll seal it in stone by drawing them together when I've the time.

Well, time will tell if your intuition is true. Personally, I'm hoping so, but unfortunately, I'm not an author.

But I would LOVE to see your pictures! Try not to take too long, please.

13. Furyan_Jedi_13

May 6, 2007
    Well, pencil, let's hope Troy does not simply write what many fans are ASSUMING will happen, which is: Zekk dying, and Jaina going back to Jag and helping found the lousy Fel dynasty. Because to those people, despite there being an entire galaxy of possibilities, there seems to be NO OTHER WAY for the Fels to get their Force-sensitivity, and NO OTHER REASON to bring Jag back into the story other than to bring his long-dead romance with Jaina back to life, just so that supposedly predictable outcome could eventuate.

Wouldn't it be nice if the authors wrote the story in a completely DIFFERENT way to what so many are assuming? Because if they DO write it in the way I mentioned above, I'd be as bored as hell. Not to mention pissed off.

BTW, how are those pictures coming along?

14. Furyan_Jedi_13

May 6, 2007
    Just saying something more positive, in response to my previous remark, which may have come across as being a bit negative.

I'm hoping that Troy Denning does an awesome job with Invincible!

Come on, somebody post something! This thread is getting a bit dusty.

15. Jaina_SoIo

Jaina_SoIo Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 25, 2005
    So, there's a large Jaina/Zekk shipper presence in this thread, and I feel like I ought to balance it out with some serious Jaina/Jag shipperness.

I like Zekk as much as the next person, but I think it would be a CRYING shame not to pair Jaina and Jag together. I've always been a long-time J/J shipper, and based off some spoilers I read regarding Fury, it makes it really clear that Jag is one of the few people who understands Jaina, and probably the only person who is able to get through to her.

I know that Allston prefers Jag over Zekk, and you, Troy, prefer Zekk over Jag. But I feel that Allston has laid down some GREAT foundations for Jaina and Jag in all of his books, spanning from the NJO and most recently in Fury, and it would tear my heart apart to see those foundations ripped up and repaved. At this point you've made up your mind who Jaina will be with (Jag, Zekk, or neither), but for all of the Jaina/Zekk shippers out there, the fanbase for Jaina and Jag are tenfold and the outcry would be enormous if Jaina were to end up with Zekk. :_| You authors might wonder what the big deal is regarding Jaina's love life, but you've been teasing us with it since the end of the NJO and I think we deserve some resolution after 5 years. [face_laugh]

16. jedipencil

Oct 30, 2006
    Zekk! Zekk! Zekk! It MUST be Zekk! :D [face_love]

17. Furyan_Jedi_13

May 6, 2007
    You know, sometimes, I wonder how the Harry Potter shippers dealt with this crap. The Harry/Hermione and Harry/Ginny shippers duked it out for so long, and even after Harry ended up with Ginny, the H/Hr group still cried out about their issues. And I think that the number of H/Hr fics out there still outnumber the H/G ones today.

I'm starting to prefer it if Jaina ended up with neither of them. I loved the YJK series, but I'm wondering why I still worry about it. The Jaina/Zekk relationship is one thing, but if things continued from YJK in the way I wanted it, I doubt that Jacen would have turned into a Sith.

18. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    We must preserve the Balance! ;) I'm another major supporter of Jag; to me he's always seemed to be the logical choice, as well as the best one. And I'm quite looking forward to Invincible, I enjoyed the Dark Nest Trilogy (for the Chiss!) and Inferno is my favorite of the Legacy series so far, I'm very interested to see what Mr. Denning has in store for us in the Legacy finale.

19. jedipencil

Oct 30, 2006
    While I don't agree on your point of view of Jag (he's too down to earth, while Zekk is more...instinctive, imo...) I whole heartedly agree on your opinion of Inferno - fabulous book!

20. Furyan_Jedi_13

May 6, 2007
    Yes, Inferno was a great book. I actually sent a private message to Troy asking how I can get a job writing for the EU. He said that I needed to be an established sci-fi or fantasy author before they even considered me.

Kind of sucks, doesn't it?

Still, I appreciate his honesty.

21. Mulletman

Mulletman Jedi Knight

Jan 15, 2008
    currently reading The Joiner King and would thoroughly recommend it to any hardcore S-W fans

22. Club_333

Club_333 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 4, 2001
    If you happen to find yourself in indiana on may 15, troy will be doing a booksigning at the barnes & noble in carmel.
    *-Free WotC minis for all who attend!
    *-Free Dark Horse Star Wars comics for all who attend!
    Free entry for door prizes
    Bloodfin Garrison of the 501st
    GameStop with Lucasarts demo on site!
    Costume contest for kids???

14709 US 31 North
    Carmel, IN 46033
    317-844-2501

*-while supplies last

23. REBADAMS7

REBADAMS7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2001
    So
    can I find a spot to check on the Author signing tours for this spring? I used to get the emails and I hope he will make a visit to MN this May!
    Reb
    of the 501st!

24. Club_333

Club_333 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 4, 2001
    bn.com has him at a store on the first day of release (sans free minis, comics, costume contest...)

25. fanboyskywalker

fanboyskywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 3, 2008
    Denning is the man. He knows how to plot the heck out of a book and a series. He nails the voices of the characters. His action (lightsaber fights and space battles) are exciting and fast paced. He made Luke a bad@ss again in Inferno, brought back the Sith, gave us the Han-Leia dynamic from Empire in DN. His books are fun, have the right mix of light and dark, feel the most SW and he doesn't push agendas in such an overt way as Traviss does with the Mandalorian stuff (I still refuse to use the dreaded word Mando because Mandalorian just sounds so much cooler) or Allston does with the Wedge/Corran/Tycho stuff. It's great, too how he ties things back to past work. Like Alema from DN coming back in LOTF or even Raynar/Lomi from SbS reappearing in DN. I was always annoyed when the Bantam books just dropped characters so it is nice to see Denning not do that.

I hope he keeps writing SW novels. I would like to see Denning, Luceno and Keyes team up for the next series. He should be the one to bring back Anakin Solo, with the follow up novel by Keyes.

In any case, looking forward to Invincible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.