main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A&A The Official Troy Denning Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Gatherer, Feb 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ATimson

ATimson Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 19, 2003
    Well, then, a question about published stuff: did you know about the later appearance of Killik Twilight when you wrote Tatooine Ghost?

2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I apologize Troy, I should be more on the ball for getting people to not ask you questions about the upcoming stuff.

I know that the implant would kill you if you answered. ;)

3. maralover

maralover Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 3, 2003
    sorry also troy....its less trying to get spoilers and more trying to give a working author ideas id love to see.....cant help it....should probably just assume with the job you did on star by star that we'll have good stuff......only one more question, and you can ignore it as you see fit, will it be epic or small scale?

4. Tailone

Tailone Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 10, 2001
    Did I know that Killik Twilight would reappear in The Unifying Force when I wrote Tatooine Ghost? No--we (Jim and I) had that idea after I had turned TG in, but before it was published.

Thanks for understanding about the trilogy questions and the implant--the strange beeps I've been hearing behind my ear are starting to make me nervous.

Troy

5. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Actually, I have a quasi-related question in the "it's not really related at all" category!

Have you played Knights of the Old Republic (PC or XBox) and, if so, what did you think?

6. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    I'd be delighted to answer that enigma myself, once the damn thing ships in. I keep telling myself the waiting is good exercise, but my eagerness disagrees. :p

7. Tailone

Aug 10, 2001
    I'm not much of a computer gamer, I'm afraid. I spend so much time working at the computer during the day that the last thing I want to do for recreation is spend more time at it playing games. It's a shame, but if I started gaming on this thing, I wouldn't have any home life at all!

Oh, and Maralover, I don't want to answer your question yet (don't want to start down the slippery slope again), but you bring up an interesting point. I think most authors want to write what their readers enjoy, but we can't really take suggestions. In the end, I think it comes down to an author just trying to know the material as well as possible and writing what he/she thinks is cool. Trying to stretch a plot to accommodate a neat idea that doesn't fit is pretty sure recipe for a bad story.

Troy

8. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Mr. Denning:

In a earlier post of yours, you described the Mon Mothma and its sisterships as refitted Star Destroyers.

My question is, what kind of Star Destroyer?

Imperial class?

Defender class?

We are currently debating this. Can you shed any light on it for us?

9. Ana Vitorrian

Ana Vitorrian Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 2, 1999
    With all apologies to fans of the Aing-Tii Monks . . . I'm just NOT a fan of the Aing-Tii outside the realm of Kathol Sector (where the Yuuzhan Vong Invasion never reached, but - the YV "might" have had its agents infiltrate as close as the Minos Cluster - which to me was still stretching their invasion path much to far).

Many of my problems with the Aing-Tii revolve around them NOT speaking Basic, NOT travelling outside the Kathol Rift and being extremely reclusive even to those who come into contact with them. It just never made "good enough" sense to me that the Aing Tii "granted Jori Car'das" - a favor - by delivering Talon Karrde & Co. to the opposite side of the galaxy in VISION OF THE FUTURE. But - hostilities in Remnant Space aside - I pretty much figured the favor stopped there.

To me, it seems that the Aing Tii are more focused on contacting "those who dwell beyond the veil" (whatever that means) than interacting with anyone or anything outside the Kathol Rift. (Jori Car'das being an obvious and interesting wringle to my view). And pretty much, the only thing that ever draws the Aing Tii outside the Kathol Rift - are "slavers" that anywhere near the Kathol Rift, yet still ONLY in Kathol Sector.

If anything - I wonder if "those who dwell beyond the veil" are "the Charon" - OR - "the trapped souls of the ancient Kathol" - OR - those spirits that have become one with "the Force." And I'm NOT sure if WEG' DARKSTRYDER CAMPAIGN ever answered that question with any certainty.

Oh well.

I know a lot of fans love the Aing Tii and wanted to see them in the NJO - but I'm one of those fans who was glad that the Aing Tii didn't appear in the NJO. Rather - I'm glad that the NJO writers focused on tying the Yuuzhan Vong to Zonama Sekot and on flushing out the evolution and "re-establishment" of the Jedi Order in that GFFA. Including the Aing Tii into the NJO would have created an unnecessary element to the overall storyline of the NJO that I feel would have been difficult for other writers to pick up and continue (given the multiple threads already put in place) to expand on (i.e., for example, did the Chiss and/or Syndic Mitth'raw'nuruodo get their "propers"???).

Given the state of the galaxy, as well as the state of "the Jedi Order" Post-TUF . . . I'm still reluctant to think that the Aing Tii Monks would be a positive detail to throw into the mix. There's just so many more immediate details that could be more meaningful in a bigger picture.

Chiming in with an opposite point-of-view,

Ana V

10. Brett_Bass

Brett_Bass Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2003
    Ana, just let me say that it's always good to see you post.
    :)

Now, more directly to the point, Mr. Denning, I'd just like to thank you for your contributions to the Star Wars universe and hard work in general.

That stated, I am very much going to echo AdmiralNick22's question(s) regarding the Mon Mothma and her sister ships such as the Elegos A'kla.

We know that she is an interdictor-equipped Star Destroyer, and while this generally conjures up images of the infamous Imperial-class ships of movie fame, there is a Rejuvenator-class Star Destroyer mentioned in The Unifying Force that could be interpreted as intended to be the offical class-name for ships like the Mon Mothma.

Is this what you intended, or were such vessels as the Mon Mothma envisioned simply as refitted Imperial-class vessels?

11. maralover

Nov 3, 2003
    anna v, i still disagree and love the idea of the aing-tii, but that was the most amazing and informed post i've ever seen (i had obviously forgotten the details of their story, having lost my hand of thrawn duology 3 years past and having the memory of a fish)....but don't you think jacen would be searching them out?

troy, sorry again, and i wanted to say how amazingly cool i think it is that you post here so frequently to speak to your fans. when you were writing star by star did you have any idea you'd be doing the post-njo trilogy?..(that doesn't trigger the implant does it?)..and do i recall you mentioning other authors to tide us over till 2005? did you mean post-njo stories...that'd be so sweet....it was too hard to wait between njo books...this next wait is gonna be loooong......

12. Tailone

Aug 10, 2001
    It's been a couple of years since I wrote SbS, so my memory may be a little fuzzy . . . but as I recall, I envisioned the Mon Mothma and her sister ship as Imperial class starships. But I also think it's perfectly reasonable that they were given a new class in TUF. In SbS, they were still experimental; in TUF, they were in production.

Maralover: When I wrote SbS, I had no idea that I'd be writing any more SW books, much less the post-NJO trilogy. (Tatooine Ghost was already finished before DR asked me to do the series.) As far as other authors and books to tide you over 'til 2005 . . . I do know that there will be some books, of course, but I'm not really up on who's writing them and what they'll be about. I'm pretty much in hermit working mode right now.

Troy

13. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Thanks Troy.

As always, we appreciate your quick responses. :)

14. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I'm pretty much in hermit working mode right now.

"The droid mentioned he belonged to an Obi-Wan Kenobi, but I thought he might have meant Old Troy..."

15. Ton_G

Ton_G Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2002
    By new class do you mean a new design, where as the Mon Mothma and her sisterships were just testbeds for new technologies mounted on a ISD hull?

16. Brett_Bass

Apr 22, 2003
    Thanks for your time, Mr. Denning, it is most appreciated.
    :)

Would you describe it as a fair assessment of the situation to describe the "Rejuvenator-class" ships in The Unifying Force as the same vessels as the Mon Mothma, Bail Organa, Elegos A'kla, et al?

17. Ana Vitorrian

Ana Vitorrian Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 2, 1999
    MaraLover,

These are my thoughts only - so there's an abundance of potential on where the Post-NJO world can go . . . it's limitless!

Regarding the Aing Tii & Jacen, I think Jacen's quest for enlightenment within the Force is bigger than anything the Aing-Tii can share with him. Sure - it's an interesting contrast between how the Aing-Tii perceive the Force . . . and how Jacen "might" perceive the Force, given the revelations of the NJO and certain aspects of the Potentium Heresy. But if anything - I think that the Aing-Tii may be only a small part of the puzzle, if any part of the puzzle at all.

Where I'm conflicted is whether "the answer (to enlightenment about the Force & the Jedi)" lies within the history of the Jedi Order itself - or - whether "that answer" lies somewhere outside the Jedi Order.

In the context of where I'm coming from, I think that something went horribly wrong with the Jedi Order - that generations-upon-generations of study somehow went awry, and instead of serving "the Force" - the Jedi began to serve politicians and government. Somehow, the Jedi lost their focus and their purpose - and ultimately, it lead to the darkest of times for the Jedi.

At heart, I think the Jedi developed "blind spots" - and I do NOT think that the Sith are entirely to blame for creating those "blind spots." I think there's some truth to Yoda's beliefs that the Jedi had become arrogant - and I think that that arrogance has lead to misperceptions about their duties as well as inhibiting "their collective 'ear' for the Force." (As much "deception and lies" there are to Count Dooku's words . . . I think there are elements of truth in those words . . . that's why those words appeal so strongly to "Dissident Jedi" . . . however, when Dooku left the Jedi Order in Dooku's quest for enlightment, Dooku wondered off the correct path . . . and fell hard to the Dark Side. I think that Jacen will NOT make that same mistake).

In the NJO, Jacen (AND Luke) learned something "forgotten" about the Force . . . and I think Jacen's destiny is to reconnect the Jedi to what they once were (whatever that may turn out to be) - to share his enlightenment with other Jedi. In some ways, Jacen has become an emissary of the Force spreading his knowledge to the Jedi.

Looking back again, in A NEW HOPE, Tarkin once made a comment along the lines of the Jedi "being an ancient religion whose flame long ago died out from the galaxy." However, in contrast to Tarkin, I do NOT think that the Jedi can die (figuratively speaking) because the Force will always exist - and I think that the Jedi will always be there as servants of the Force. I think Jacen destiny is tied to this rebirth of the Jedi Order and their reconnection to the Force.

I'm being pretty wordy up above - but ultimately - I think the Aing-Tii serve an entirely different purpose in the galaxy than the Jedi. I think Jacen is still trying to find the purpose of the Jedi (NOT the Aing-Tii). So I'm NOT sure if the Aing Tii can contribute to Jacen's quest.

Is the above more than two cents???

Sincerely,

Ana V

18. maralover

Nov 3, 2003
    i think your opinions on the jedi order past and present echo my own, that being servants of the republic made the jedi lose their way, which led to the unbalance in the force, hence the force's need to create anakin skywalker to reach a cycle of events which could restore balance....(btw, i think the chosen one is just the start of the return to balance and it is not personified in him alone)....but this is not really a troy denning topic..ehh? if you'd make a topic up in literature forum, i'd love to debate and discuss this more........ps, wouldn't a series going back in time before the republic showing the birth of the jedi order be awesome

19. Tailone

Aug 10, 2001
    "By new class do you mean a new design, where as the Mon Mothma and her sisterships were just testbeds for new technologies mounted on a ISD hull?"

and

"Would you describe it as a fair assessment of the situation to describe the "Rejuvenator-class" ships in The Unifying Force as the same vessels as the Mon Mothma, Bail Organa, Elegos A'kla, et al?"

Judging by all the questions I keep getting about the MM and EA, there must be one heck of a Star Destroyer debate going on somewhere! But I think these two questions are more properly addressed to Jim Luceno. The rejuvenator class is his baby, so I don't want to guess at his intentions. I can tell you that I envisioned the MM and EA as modifications of the basic SD design.

As for the Aing Tii . . . I certainly can't claim them as a legitimate "Troy" topic, but I do enjoy reading the comments they bring . . . especially as regards Jacen's search for the true nature of the Force.

Troy

20. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Judging by all the questions I keep getting about the MM and EA, there must be one heck of a Star Destroyer debate going on somewhere!

By the love of whatever you find holy -- don't ask what the length of a Super Star Destroyer is!

[face_shocked]

;)

21. Janz_Walker

Janz_Walker Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 9, 2000
    12 km, according to the official site. But I think that's just Pabs's way of compromising between the 8km and 17.6km figures. ;)

22. dizfactor

dizfactor Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 12, 2002
    Is the above more than two cents???

it's at least a buck fifty, and worth every penny. very well said...

23. maralover

Nov 3, 2003
    if troy doesn't mind, i don't.....ana, i think a cult of the force who are capable of using the force to practically teleport anywhere is a major piece of the 'puzzle' jacen is putting together, his more complete vision of the force. i think he is specifically looking for other viewpoints than the jedi, so the further from the jedi way, the more info he may have to glean from them......

i also don't think the jedi will always exist, they are a religion based on the force, not the force itself, and given time, their viewpoint may not be relevant anymore...although, they did get the chosen one, and i'd hate to see them go....

what if the aing-tii are more ancient than the jedi, the republic, or even intelligent life in the gffa?

i think jacen is not searching for the jedi order, but personally. i think he's grown beyond just being part of the jedi, and into his own form of reverence for the force. like a jedi protestant, if you will. i think he'll continue to be part of the jedi, and discuss his new understanding of the force with anyone who is willing to have a conversation with him. i say he'll be part of the jedi, but not limited by them.

or to put it another way, i don't think he's looking for the purpose of the jedi, but the purpose, will, and nature of the force itself.

my 2 cents

24. Tahiri-Solo

Tahiri-Solo Jedi Master star 4

Nov 21, 2001
    the POST NJO trilogy is going to be awesome, already impatient waiting for it!

its gonna be great!!! woot!

wow....a long time to wait.Im anticipating them more than Episode3!!!

25. Brett_Bass

Apr 22, 2003
    Mr. Denning, thanks again. Yes, there is indeed an interesting discussion going on about the Mon Mothma's breed of Star Destroyer (we've temporarily dubbed them the "Senator-class" because of the types of names given to them), along with the nature of more or less all of Star Wars' capital starships over in this thread. If you want to get a quick chuckle, skim the last few pages and see the lengths that some of us are willing to go to in order to wrap out minds around this stuff. Either that, or just see how many pages are in the thread... That ought to give you an idea as to just exactly how much discussion there is on this general subject.
    ;)

And yes, dp4m is right. In the name of all that is holy, do not ask about the length of a Super Star Destroyer!
    :eek:

At any rate, given that you have deferred our shared question(s) regarding the Mon Mothma, the Rejuvenator-class, and all that to Mr. Luceno, do you know of a manner that we could pass our queries along to him?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.